The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

27 minutes ago, SamBacon said:

Thanks for the comment.
Regarding Boon Tong Kee, it is good they are here now. The menu does not offer any of my faves tho:)

The Kang Kong sambal is good. Cereal shrimp is interesting.

I didn't mention this because I'm not sure they're still open. If open Secret Recipe in the same mall mostly known for cakes had laksa. Not saying it was great laksa.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Kang Kong sambal is good. Cereal shrimp is interesting.

I didn't mention this because I'm not sure they're still open. If open Secret Recipe in the same mall mostly known for cakes had laksa. Not saying it was great laksa.

There is a SG food stall in Central Festival's food court downstairs too. Tried their bak kut teh, was not impressed tho. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Do they have laksa?

No. It's about typical Nanyang Chinese stuff what many associate with SG . Just a few dishes like bak kut teh, chicken rice... Worth trying if you miss SG but nothing out of this world:)
Btw, Songfa bak kut teh, one of the mainstream chains in SG, they have an outlet at Siam Paragon foodcourt downstairs in BKK. It is not bad I would say. Simple but quite decent.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 7:14 PM, SamBacon said:

There is a SG food stall in Central Festival's food court downstairs too. Tried their bak kut teh, was not impressed tho. 

Pretty much all the food courts downstairs at Central Festival blow....To add insult to injury, they are pretty overpriced too.....

The old food court there was pretty good....The new one I will not go to...... 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Any interesting wine bars in Pattaya?

Eating places with decent wines are okay and we might know most of them all right, but when you swap the priorities and feel like up for a glass or two of a wine with some bread/cheese instead...

Any recommendation please? 

6 hours ago, SamBacon said:

Any interesting wine bars in Pattaya?

Eating places with decent wines are okay and we might know most of them all right, but when you swap the priorities and feel like up for a glass or two of a wine with some bread/cheese instead...

Any recommendation please? 

Wine Connection @ Royal Garden Plaza

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CbVyrkLxyDDVttx5A

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

Looks good 

Tasted great as well. However there's a sad face emoji on my post and a confused one on yours.

Maybe the 295 baht was too steep for them as they are used to the 99 baht meals at Cheap Charlie's ????

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Tasted great as well. However there's a sad face emoji on my post and a confused one on yours.

Maybe the 295 baht was too steep for them as they are used to the 99 baht meals at Cheap Charlie's ????

Yeah there is a lot of cheap Charlies in Thailand that is the reason they live in Thailand I pay about 200 baht for a good 3 course meal.

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Or maybe the price had nothing to do with it and the sad face is due to the unhealthy nature of the food you posted.

Some people don't mind paying more for a healthy meal.

In fact, it is easy to find tasty and healthy meals at a good price in Pattaya.

Edited by Espanol

1 minute ago, Espanol said:

Or maybe the price had nothing to do with it and the sad face is due to the unhealthy nature of the food you posted.

What is healthy in your opinion? Vegan?

1 minute ago, still kicking said:

What is healthy in your opinion? Vegan?

Seafood, steamed seabass with lime sauce, grilled chicken, salad, pasta, ...?

Don't get me wrong: everyone can eat whatever they want.

I'm just saying that just because some people didn't like the idea of eating a fried pork chop covered in gravy, doesn't mean they are cheap charlies who only look for 99 baht meals.

2 hours ago, Espanol said:

So we found one sad face over my pork chop. Why don't you post your healthy food alternative that we can all sad face over

5 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I didn't put any emojis on the posts, but my first impression on seeing the photo was not good.  The chop looked fatty, the veg/garnish sad and the mash insufficient.  Putting the gravy boat on the plate fills up space so they can reduce the food content without looking too cheap.

All that matters though is whether you enjoyed it and thought it value for money which it appears you did.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, treetops said:

I didn't put any emojis on the posts, but my first impression on seeing the photo was not good.  The chop looked fatty, the veg/garnish sad and the mash insufficient.  Putting the gravy boat on the plate fills up space so they can reduce the food content without looking too cheap.

All that matters though is whether you enjoyed it and thought it value for money which it appears you did.

At least I showed a pic for people to see meal unlike most on here who just say how great their food was and everyone seems to take it as fact

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

At least I showed a pic for people to see meal unlike most on here who just say how great their food was and everyone seems to take it as fact

Well done. I appreciated your picture which shows a tasty meal for an acceptable price.

Ignore the sad/confused emoji mafia. Since some time one or two posters distibute these emojis seemingly random because their comments nearly always make no sense. It became so obvious that I actually contacted the support, but they said they could not find evidence that it is done by a single person.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 3:39 AM, Jingthing said:

Let's Wok

American Chinese food

Soi Lengkee

American style Chinese food is not my favorite as I much prefer "authentic" regional Chinese food from Chinese regions.

However, tasty food is tasty food.

So on that note, I have had a better than expected experiences at Let's Wok on Soi Lengkee located in the American Bar and Grill restaurant.

They have a buffet on Mondays and Thursdays starting at 3 pm for 350 baht.

I've tried it twice already and it was a few notches better than it had to be to be acceptable.

I guess the dishes and style of their American Chinese food are on the more retro side.

You can be sure to find the familiar General Tso's chicken, orange chicken, and their most popular buffet dish the honey ribs.

They do vary the buffet menu somewhat so you aren't likely to see the exact same offerings on repeat visits.

They're very good about keeping all the dishes replenished. There isn't a lot of food in the trays which is good because less chance that it sits too long. Most buffets aren't as efficient. 

Nothing to write home to Poughkeepsie about but there it is.

They also of course have their regular menu daily and the prices aren't bad.

I suppose the quality level is more or less similar to Pimmy delivery only western Chinese food. Pimmy's is British Chinese though.

Let's Wok says they're American Chinese and for the most part they are but they don't have egg foo young and their curry dishes taste British Chinese, not American Chinese though.

Sadly this buffet has been CANCELLED.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

One buffet dies.

Another is born.

A Taste of Norway on Teppraya Road accross from Jomtien Complex is now doing a Norweigan (with a wee bit of Thai) dinner buffet every Friday night starting at 6:30 PM. 

The buffet just started tonight yet the joint was already packed at 6:30 and the staff was scrambling to keep the clean plates coming. Forget about arriving much later than that as it's basically over by 8:00.

Drinks are not included. The dessert was some kind of flan like thingie served with whipped cream cans that you squirt yourself. 450 count 'em baht-a-ronis.

The food was prettaaay, prettaaay good.

Tonight was the first night. It was surprising to see such a crowd for the first night. Good publicity I guess. It seems they may need to start requiring bookings. 

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

Me and Thai lady school teacher friend are staying in Jomtien for 4 days near Soi Welcome so looking for a few suggestions of average priced restaurants for lunch and dinner, Thai and farang food. Maybe one slighly upmarket restaurant for dinner one night.

I know of Cheap Charlies where I would go for brekkie if I'm on my own but a bit nicer ambience for us to dine together, she's not really a bar person and doesn't normally drink alcohol.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

5 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Me and Thai lady school teacher friend are staying in Jomtien for 4 days near Soi Welcome so looking for a few suggestions of average priced restaurants for lunch and dinner, Thai and farang food. Maybe one slighly upmarket restaurant for dinner one night.

I know of Cheap Charlies where I would go for brekkie if I'm on my own but a bit nicer ambience for us to dine together, she's not really a bar person and doesn't normally drink alcohol.

https://www.marcospattaya.com/

Marcos, Very very good pizza.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

If you want to really treat her, take her to the breakfast/brunch buffet at the Hilton. It's great. Get a nice seat outside. Then you can walk around Central and see a movie or whatnot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If you want to really treat her, take her to the breakfast/brunch buffet at the Hilton. It's great. Get a nice seat outside. Then you can walk around Central and see a movie or whatnot. 

Sounds nice but we don't want to venture into Patts if we can avoid it. Probably no further than Marcos mentioned above.*