The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

CALLES GRILL and BAR

Soi Diana, off 2nd road (where KISS is)

Modern Scandinavian Steak Grill Concept

This place replaces a long standing old fashioned concept steakhouse.

CALLES menu is wonderfully brief and intelligent. A one pager. I highly approve.

This is their entire menu! clap2.gif

https://www.facebook.com/callesgrillbar/photos/pcb.841688052612413/841688029279082/?type=3&theater

You've got some appetizers (including a Middle east sampler), some unusual pastas dishes (such as black pasta w/ lobster sauce), your gourmet burger, your main dish and steak options, a few dishes distinctively Scandinavian, and then of course the obligatory Thai food.

Price level is moderate.

I wish them well and hope to try eventually.

I suppose their burger is going to be on the must try list for the ever ending best burger in town controversy.

To add to that PASTRAMI and RYE Jomtien in response to customer demand is in the process of introducing their own American burger options.

I reckon with their American cred they're gonna be contenders!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just tried Yotin's for the first time.

Quite a lot of info on their Facebook page (I hate looking at FB sad.png ), and some pointless photos of several fat people whom I dont know, though I'm sure they are kind to animals and that their mothers love them to bits.

"Tomorrow we start with our weekly chef's menu for only 495,-B

Chef’s menu :

Shrimp cocktail

Creamy lobstersoup

Salad with goat cheese toast

Thai premium beef with

mushroom-,pepper or blue cheese sauce

Salmon steak , white wine sauce and warm vegetables

Filled duck fillet cooked in sweet cherry beer

and gratin dauphinoise

Chocolate mousse

Crepes suzette

Only 495,-B"

There are several examples of the daily 199B special menu also, some of which sound good enough to make a special trip for.

From the pictures on the site the buffet (295B including one glass of "sangria") seems to be at night rather than during the day, but maybe it's just a camera effect. This is the buffet menu:

11181826_147057292312064_894808622679560

and a picture which looks attractive

12096368_147057058978754_579562444062614

I ate at Mr. Polenta Tuesday evening. I have little knowledge about what to expect of polenta. I had the taragna with Gorgonzola. It was tasty... It was not a large serving but much more than I wanted to eat at one meal. I may go back and try the polenta with one of the more interesting toppings.

I was dismayed by the ambiance. Uncomfortable chairs/table; black painted wood. Sorta like out door furnishings. Very bright cool white lighting and very white and completely unadorned walls. No signage to speak of. Pleasant staff.

I wish him the best of luck

• Like 2

Just a note Pastrami on Rye is adding a selection of hamburgers to their menu effective Nov 1st. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Thanks for the update. I have not had a "real hamburger" for a long time. Pastrami on Rye makes such great sandwiches--no doubt they will focus on top quality and make some great hamburgers. Please take pictures of their hamburger and post them here.

Just a note Pastrami on Rye is adding a selection of hamburgers to their menu effective Nov 1st. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Thanks for the update. I have not had a "real hamburger" for a long time. Pastrami on Rye makes such great sandwiches--no doubt they will focus on top quality and make some great hamburgers. Please take pictures of their hamburger and post them here.

Lots of pictures ALREADY here:

https://www.facebook.com/pastramionryethailand

I have quite a bit of doubt if the quality of their pizzas is anything to go by...wasn't very impressed with my sandwich either.

I have quite a bit of doubt if the quality of their pizzas is anything to go by...wasn't very impressed with my sandwich either.
always, nothing positive from you, I'm Shocked, Not...
  • Like 1

always, nothing positive from you, I'm Shocked, Not...

Lots of praise for many places but I call them as I taste them...sorry if that offends you.

• Like 1

I was treated to a sneak peek test run at Pastrami on Rye today with their bacon cheeseburger. They've hit a homerun imho. A juicy 1/3 pound 100% beef patty cooked to perfection. Hands down the best burger I have ever had in Thailand.

They start serving the burgers on November 1st and I will be a regular when I need a burger fix.

post-180337-0-48545500-1446194003_thumb.

Edited by Roger Lee
  • Like 1

I was treated to a sneak peek test run at Pastrami on Rye today with their bacon cheeseburger. They've hit a homerun imho. A juicy 1/3 pound 100% beef patty cooked to perfection. Hands down the best burger I have ever had in Thailand.

They start serving the burgers on November 1st and I will be a regular when I need a burger fix.

attachicon.gifLL4A7262.jpg

Is PoR an official advertiser on T-V...I don't know because I don't see any ads on the site? Just curious as they seem to get allot of free PR here and I know that's allowed if a site sponsor.

Is PoR an official advertiser on T-V...I don't know because I don't see any ads on the site? Just curious as they seem to get allot of free PR here and I know that's allowed if a site sponsor.

I don't know and I don't care. If I feel like posting on a thread about restaurant reviews and happen to mention a great restaurant that I like, so be it. As far as I know, no rules are being broken.

Why would you care? Are you a moderator or something or just got an axe to grind?

• Like 2

Settle down, boys.

I'm not a mod either, but it's fun to say: Settle down, boys.

If this thread degrades into an endless bickering fest, it's amazing longevity will be threatened. Let's not do that. OKAY?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I used to rave about Pastrami and Rye.....The last few times , I dont give up easy, I swore I wouldnt eat there again. I had a meatball sub that made Subways shine. Bland and tasteless....There Pastrami, I heard now comes from Malaysia and maybe Im to fiNicky but it was sooooo salty and nothing like before.

The pizza.....Everyone here is right, There are way better options now......There photos still look great though.

OK, I'm back.

Folks, please read the OP of this thread.

We're losing that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/

Please note the emphasis.

NEW discoveries.

To SHARE with the public.

No it shouldn't be mostly about one restaurant, that is very true.

But the new burger menu there, yes, that is BIG NEWS and fits well.

I understand a thread concept like this invites anarchy and a BIG HOT MESS, but there are limits, or it just all falls apart.

So please read the OP and help bring the thread back on track.

Thank you!

Edited by Jingthing

Not an official advertiser, it's just enthusiastic customers voicing their support for good and different food at reasonable prices, something that is difficult to find in Pattaya. You obviously have a different opinion which is your privilege. Prices might be a little high for some items for the typical cheap charlie TV poster. The sandwiches are so large I make two lunches out of them. The pizza is very good although I personally give the edge to NY Pizza or LaBocca just down the street. Looking forward to their burgers, price(?), I couldn't give a crap as I pay nearly a thousand baht for Hard Rock Cafe or El Gaucho burger in Bangkok.

In my opinion, the BEST SPECIAL VALUE this long thread offers is when people learn about NEW PLACES they didn't know about before. Literally new, or new to them.

Face it folks, most people ALREADY know about the existence of Pastrami and Rye, Jomtien. But yes, their new burger menu is definitely new, so that fits as well. Very much so.

There is another active BEST BURGER thread here going right now.

Why not move detailed discussion of P and R's burgers to THAT thread?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766876-a-great-hamburger-in-pattaya/coffee1.gif

Thank you.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

In my opinion, the BEST SPECIAL VALUE this long thread offers is when people learn about NEW PLACES they didn't know about before. Literally new, or new to them.

Face it folks, most people ALREADY know about the existence of Pastrami and Rye, Jomtien. But yes, their new burger menu is definitely new, so that fits as well. Very much so.

There is another active BEST BURGER thread here going right now.

Why not move detailed discussion of P and R's burgers to THAT thread?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766876-a-great-hamburger-in-pattaya/coffee1.gif

Thank you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766876-a-great-hamburger-in-pattaya/page-4

I already have.

Great burger btw :-)