The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

DA RONG HE

Fine Elegant Chinese Food, Chef from HUNAN province, China

Jingthing's THUMBS UP. thumbsup.gif

Warning: NOT CHEAP sorry.gif

A very new restaurant, targeted at INDEPENDENT Chinese tourists (not bus tours).

Location is in North Pattaya in back of Big C Festival Mall on the big road parallel to 2nd.

From 2nd road go down the soi on the north end of the mall towards that road.

Then turn left and you will see the restaurant.

English is not spoken except for one Thai staff member who really isn't a waiter but will talk to you if he's not busy (look for mustache).

However, the PICTURE menu is clear enough for the most part and there is English on it but the English isn't always correct, but what did you expect?

Service is serviceable enough, a bit odd actually but you get your food, unless you need to communicate something special, in which case you might want to look for the man with the moustache. coffee1.gif

This is a VERY WELCOME addition to the Chinese restaurant scene.

It's price point is higher than Shanghai on 3rd road, but lower than the fancy hotel Chinese places.

No plus plus.

In my opinion, the food is at a higher culinary level than Shanghai.

Also they do offer many dishes you aren't likely to find anywhere else in town.

They have two chefs from China. One is from Hunan province. Indeed they do have some Hunanese dishes. Sechuan, not so much. Do not come here for "mala" dishes except there is one cold chicken dish that is "mala". Mala being classic Sechuan mix of spicy hot and also the NUMBING Sechuan peppercorns.

As far as noodle dishes there are currently two on the menu. One stir fried and one like a Chinese pasta dish with a spicy sauce. I was told there is an issue now with their noodle making technology so come back in a month and there might an expansion of their noodle offerings. I wouldn't suggest ordering any noodle dishes until then.

Repeated visits have impressed me.

On two visits I met a honeymooning couple from China. They loved the food and they were eating it on their honeymoon.

I would and I could detail every single dish on their menu along with their prices, but the owners there seemed VERY uncomfortable about all the notes I was taking and explicitly wouldn't allow me to photograph the menu ... so in this case, I won't do that. You'll have to visit yourself and check it out. Trust me, if you're an adventurous diner who appreciates more sophisticated and unusual Chinese food, you'll find dishes you want to try. There is not much on the menu that is too weird for westerners, so don't worry about that.

Front of restaurant:

post-37101-0-81415200-1446242240_thumb.j

Mapo Tofu. 220 baht

A thin sauced version.

post-37101-0-61536700-1446242288_thumb.j

Pork Cabbage dumplings 160 baht

Excellent.

post-37101-0-21626000-1446242349_thumb.j

Chicken sauce cabbage. 180

Too salty. Elegant but overpriced.

post-37101-0-34324400-1446242392_thumb.j

Pork ribs with taro. 320

Simple but elegant. Taro so creamy in the mouth

post-37101-0-18658000-1446242463_thumb.j

Hunan Country Style Beef 360

The Best For Last.

One of the best Chinese dishes I've had in Pattaya.

The beef is imported.

The flavors pop.

Chi of the wok ... for days!

post-37101-0-10837700-1446242619_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

We have a new Italian restaurant in the Jomtien area!

'Made in Sud' is the name and I just received a leaflet with lots of promotions in it. I believe the owner originally comes from Naples Italy.

The one thing I notice from the menu is 'Every day special', a lunch menu between 12:00-16:00. you'll get 2 dishes and a glass of wine for 399 baht. A slice of pizza is 99 baht and most of the sandwiches are 99 baht. Also they offer Italian breakfast for 150 baht and English breakfast for 120 baht.

Some pictures from their facebook , I have not visited the place yet but the address is 410/9 M12 trepprasit rd.

12118842_905511386191845_734149378739510

12111999_905511529525164_527114945723013

12118828_905511296191854_315702565003418

12112115_905511519525165_465177029454683

12096015_905512399525077_769650659628260

That pizza looks good...too bad the place is so far away...don't get over the hill much.

DA RONG HE

Fine Elegant Chinese Food, Chef from HUNAN province, China

Jingthing's THUMBS UP. thumbsup.gif

Warning: NOT CHEAP sorry.gif

A very new restaurant, targeted at INDEPENDENT Chinese tourists (not bus tours).

Location is in North Pattaya in back of Big C Festival Mall on the big road parallel to 2nd.

From 2nd road go down the soi on the north end of the mall towards that road.

Then turn left and you will see the restaurant.

English is not spoken except for one Thai staff member who really isn't a waiter but will talk to you if he's not busy (look for mustache).

However, the PICTURE menu is clear enough for the most part and there is English on it but the English isn't always correct, but what did you expect?

Service is serviceable enough, a bit odd actually but you get your food, unless you need to communicate something special, in which case you might want to look for the man with the moustache. coffee1.gif

This is a VERY WELCOME addition to the Chinese restaurant scene.

It's price point is higher than Shanghai on 3rd road, but lower than the fancy hotel Chinese places.

No plus plus.

In my opinion, the food is at a higher culinary level than Shanghai.

Also they do offer many dishes you aren't likely to find anywhere else in town.

They have two chefs from China. One is from Hunan province. Indeed they do have some Hunanese dishes. Sechuan, not so much. Do not come here for "mala" dishes except there is one cold chicken dish that is "mala". Mala being classic Sechuan mix of spicy hot and also the NUMBING Sechuan peppercorns.

As far as noodle dishes there are currently two on the menu. One stir fried and one like a Chinese pasta dish with a spicy sauce. I was told there is an issue now with their noodle making technology so come back in a month and there might an expansion of their noodle offerings. I wouldn't suggest ordering any noodle dishes until then.

Repeated visits have impressed me.

On two visits I met a honeymooning couple from China. They loved the food and they were eating it on their honeymoon.

I would and I could detail every single dish on their menu along with their prices, but the owners there seemed VERY uncomfortable about all the notes I was taking and explicitly wouldn't allow me to photograph the menu ... so in this case, I won't do that. You'll have to visit yourself and check it out. Trust me, if you're an adventurous diner who appreciates more sophisticated and unusual Chinese food, you'll find dishes you want to try. There is not much on the menu that is too weird for westerners, so don't worry about that.

Front of restaurant:

attachicon.gifdaronghefront.jpg

Mapo Tofu. 220 baht

A thin sauced version.

attachicon.gifdaronghemapo.jpg

Pork Cabbage dumplings 160 baht

Excellent.

attachicon.gifdaronghedumplings.jpg

Chicken sauce cabbage. 180

Too salty. Elegant but overpriced.

attachicon.gifdaronghecabbagechickensauce.jpg

Pork ribs with taro. 320

Simple but elegant. Taro so creamy in the mouth

attachicon.gifdarongheporkribstaro.jpg

Hunan Country Style Beef 360

The Best For Last.

One of the best Chinese dishes I've had in Pattaya.

The beef is imported.

The flavors pop.

Chi of the wok ... for days!

attachicon.gifdaronghehunanbeef.jpg

I'll stick with the Shanghai ma po tofu for 120 baht. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

A small update on my previous comments about

CHOTIVALA PURE VEGETARIAN INDIAN RESTAURANT

2nd road across from Central Pattaya Beach Mall

on this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/?p=9935694

I had mentioned I tried a veggie THALI there and was underwhelmed but liked it enough to want to go back and try a dosa there.

Well, I did go back, and still didn't get a DOSA, but did get an Uttapam, which is closa enough. Groan.

Anyway, happy I went back, because this was the best Uttapam I've had in Thailand. Definitely like it better than at Saras.

I ordered the mix veggie one. There is also a paneer one.

It was just super yummy, thick, and I loved the texture. The spicy yellow SAMBAR served with it was excellent. The only letdown is that I was hoping for two chutneys, but there was only the coconut. Price about 160 if I recall correctly.

It's mostly a breakfast dish in India but it worked for me as a light nighttime meal. If you're very hungry, you'll need more food.

What's Uttapam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uttapam

This place sounds interesting...looking forward to trying it.

I would and I could detail every single dish on their menu along with their prices, but the owners there seemed VERY uncomfortable about all the notes I was taking and explicitly wouldn't allow me to photograph the menu ..

Who gives a damn if they "seemed VERY UNCOMFORTABLE" and why did you ask them about taking a photograph of the menu? This isn't China. Why do you Euro guys and gals think the Chinese can tell you what to do in Thailand? It's a free country and if they don't like you taking notes and photos(within reason such as at your table and of a menu) then they can go back to China and work in a factory like so many billions of others there. And tell them two children are now allowed!

Be a man or a woman and take photos and notes and we thank you for the detailed reports. You don't need anyone's permission, Thai, Chinese, Russian, or otherwise. You don't ask, you do what you want in these regards. You are giving up control of your own life and food preferences and desires.

This isn't a personal attack, just the way it is. Kind regards and cheers.

• Like 1

I would and I could detail every single dish on their menu along with their prices, but the owners there seemed VERY uncomfortable about all the notes I was taking and explicitly wouldn't allow me to photograph the menu ..

Who gives a damn if they "seemed VERY UNCOMFORTABLE" and why did you ask them about taking a photograph of the menu? This isn't China. Why do you Euro guys and gals think the Chinese can tell you what to do in Thailand? It's a free country and if they don't like you taking notes and photos(within reason such as at your table and of a menu) then they can go back to China and work in a factory like so many billions of others there. And tell them two children are now allowed!

Be a man or a woman and take photos and notes and we thank you for the detailed reports. You don't need anyone's permission, Thai, Chinese, Russian, or otherwise. You don't ask, you do what you want in these regards. You are giving up control of your own life and food preferences and desires.

Thanks for sharing your opinion but I think it's kind of over the top.

It's a private business, Chinese involved or anybody, and I think they are within their legal rights to prohibit having their menu photographed.

That said, there was something funny and extreme about the reaction of this place to someone obviously gathering information about their menu. The trouble maybe related to language as I couldn't communicate my obviously good intentions, as I really do like their food, and I wanted to tell others about it.

For all they know I may have been a restaurateur trying to steal their IP (their menu). If you do see their menu, you can see there are things about it that are not boilerplate. It is quite unusual for Pattaya, which isn't really fully obvious from the dish pictures I did show, there is MUCH more.

They had no objection at all the the very normal taking pictures of actual dishes served.

Edited by Jingthing

It's a private business, Chinese involved or anybody, and I think they are within their legal rights to prohibit having their menu photographed.

That said, there was something funny and extreme about the reaction of this place to someone obviously gathering information about their menu.

There are plenty of "no photos" signs pinned up in the likes of BigC and Tesco etc. also.

Many businesses here seem to have an irrational phobia of anyone taking pictures or making notes about them, presumably because they know just how much of what they do is either not legal or just plain badly done. I suspect that it's just standard ass-covering in action. If they devoted as much effort to doing the job properly in the first place they would have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

That said, there was something funny and extreme about the reaction of this place to someone obviously gathering information about their menu.

There are plenty of "no photos" signs pinned up in the likes of BigC and Tesco etc. also.

Many businesses here seem to have an irrational phobia of anyone taking pictures or making notes about them, presumably because they know just how much of what they do is either not legal or just plain badly done. I suspect that it's just standard ass-covering in action. If they devoted as much effort to doing the job properly in the first place they would have nothing to worry about.

Almost everyone has a camera in their pocket these days aka their phone. I don't get your inclination to respect such a request. It isn't a GoGo bar with naked ladies and other illegal acts and underage employees and farangs on overstays and farangs working illegally as pimps.

I may have over reacted because just this past week I was on Sukhumvit taking photos of the AirAisa posters on display about every 200 meters. Somebody actually asked me(from a business nearby) what I was doing and why? I looked at her and said something in Spanish knowing she wouldn't grasp the profanity.

• Like 1

Whether it is Big C or Costco in America, many businesses have a no picture policy. They know people take photos and then use them to price shop the competition.

Again, who cares? Are we not allowed to shop for the best prices? Some of you guys and girls have lost the plot. You are the customer, not the business. You don't have to follow their rules and/or ask them about taking a photo unless as I outlined, you know illegal activities are going on such as in a GoGo brothel.

• Like 1

Please, this is now getting really off topic .neus.gif

This is a thread about restaurants.

It's not a thread about picture taking restrictions in general.

An interesting controversy, no doubt.

Perhaps start another thread?

It isn't worthy of another thread. It hasn't taken over your restaurant thread. You in fact started the matter with the mention the Chinese were afraid of you taking pictures which is an indication to those of us educated in such matters that there is something to hide????

But no worries, I think we've covered the picture aspects of it all so back to it.

I in fact think India/Indian Touch down by the Nova Platinum may be serving goat as mutton. Their nan bread is wonderful. You wouldn't think you could screw up nan bread but many Indian restaurants do just that.

There is a new Thai restaurant promoting a 99 baht "set" but upon translation I'm told it is only pork and vegetables in the traditional hot pot with a grill center commonly seen around town. It's not clear on the sign if you can get refills. How do I know? I took a dog gone picture and showed it to some Thai friends. It's located about a block away from Pattaya Tai, the winding Soi which has several L.K. Metro developments.

So again, why are the Air Asia signs only in Thai? Is it that difficult to make some up in English for areas like this one?

Which brings up the question, why has the Montien put restrictions on the rock lobster during the Friday night seafood buffet?

A selected list from the menu of

DA RONG HE

From my "notes" cool.png

Consider it a TEASER.

I think this list combined with my item above will show this is an ambitious Chinese restaurant from a culinary POV.

Drunk incense dried fish 160
Hot sour fern root noodles 180
Sichuan sausage 280
Chinese radish cheese bone hot plate 380
(probably pork with marrow, actually I don't think there is any cheese in it, but it's a charming menu item)
Crispy rice beef filet 380
(served on a curved black metal grill where the rice gets crisped, the moustache dude said he didn't like this dish, but it sure looks interesting)
Iron pot duck 460
Drifting fragrance wings 360
Hunan boiled perch 580
Pork belly steamed veggies spicy 480
Edited by Jingthing

Which brings up the question, why has the Montien put restrictions on the rock lobster during the Friday night seafood buffet?

As far as I know the Montien no longer exists. Since earlier this year it's called the Imperial and I thought that the seafood buffet died with the old name.

Do you mean to say that it has been resurrected? It was one of my regulars. And is it now Friday instead of Saturday?

As far as I know the Montien no longer exists. Since earlier this year it's called the Imperial and I thought that the seafood buffet died with the old name.

Do you mean to say that it has been resurrected? It was one of my regulars. And is it now Friday instead of Saturday?

No, sorry to confuse. Just trying to get back on topic. I didn't know it had finally closed as per the decade long rumor. It was a great seafood buffet in the good old days, long gone by.

Totally agree !

And about this thread am I the only one to think that it's so stupid to try to explain (mostly wrongly) where is a restaurant without google map link or gps coordinates ?

• Like 1

And about this thread am I the only one to think that it's so stupid to try to explain (mostly wrongly) where is a restaurant without google map link or gps coordinates ?

I always try to include a Google Maps link from Street View, but some other people seem to have a lot of trouble with generating these. Not sure why as it is very simple.

(Sample) prices are also something that should be included in any decent review or commentary.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1

I always try to include a Google Maps link from Street View, but some other people seem to have a lot of trouble with generating these. Not sure why as it is very simple.

(Sample) prices are also something that should be included in any decent review or commentary.

Some of us don't buy those expensive phones with gps applications. Simple directions should work for most with their own transportation.

You dont need an expensive phone with GPS (or indeed any phone) to generate a Street View link or obtain GPS coordinates from the Google Maps website.

I just use my PC.

So we understand....you go to a restaurant, you find it to be worthy of mention to these fine folks, so when you get home, you find it on your PC, take note of the GPS coordinates and make a post, sometimes with a photo if same available on google maps?

I mentioned a Thai restaurant the other day which I could do that. If I've got the concept correct(please confirm), I will try to do it as the venue out of the tourist area and in fact, right near a Thai love motel which some may know but not many.

You dont need an expensive phone with GPS (or indeed any phone) to generate a Street View link or obtain GPS coordinates from the Google Maps website.

I just use my PC.

So we understand....you go to a restaurant, you find it to be worthy of mention to these fine folks, so when you get home, you find it on your PC, take note of the GPS coordinates and make a post, sometimes with a photo if same available on google maps?

If never take note of GPS coordinates. I just look the location up on the Google maps site later.

If there is any possible confusion about where a place is I find it best to post a link to the street view page (where it exists) as this allows others to know what the place looks like (or used to look like a couple of years ago) and also to work out the directions to/from anywhere else.

• Like 1

All American Hotdogs & Snow Cones

https://www.facebook.com/allamericanhotdogandsnowcones/?fref=ts

Located in Jomtien just off Beach Road on Soi Welcome.

Nothing real special about the hotdog itself, (not gourmet) but the toppings and the in house baked bun were

a treat. It was served to hot to handle initially, which is a plus. I tried the Michigan Coney which went for 165 baht with potato chips.

I also tried their Cheeseburger and it was also very tasty. Again not a gourmet type burger like some other places but plenty good and less that 200 baht, also served with chips. Reminds me of what I would grill for myself back in the states. Next time I'll ask them to hold the mustard though, just a personal preference.

Another place worthy of future visits imho and they are offering delivery via Food Panda, although their burgers aren't on that menu yet.

Right now they are offering a Chicken Parmesan sub with fries and a coke for 165 baht. No pics but very tasty, plenty of cheese also. Definitely a super value you'd be hard put to find elsewhere.

Edited by Rimmer
Owner protected blank images removed
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing your suggestions.

This is a CASUAL restaurant item thread.

There is no required TEMPLATE for how to post your restaurant comments, and there never will be.

These items can be very robust or they can be one sentence. Hopefully that one sentence tells us something INTERESTING about local restaurants.

If people want to post map links, fine, if they don't, that's fine too. That is their personal choice.

As far as La Petite Planette, if you can't find Tuk Com you may as well just stay home. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

This is not world class Couscous Royale and not trying to be, but it's more than serviceable and definitely worth the current price, 395 baht. Refills on the vegetable stew will be offered but you won't need it.

How does this compare with the couscous that Stroganof II used to do as part of their 4/5-course meal? I used to enjoy that and found it quite authentic (at least to French Bistro standards). That also had various meats including merguez and came with a tiny bowl of harissa.

Since Stroganof changed hands/name and completely altered its pricing structure I haven't been back.

• Like 1

For Darksiders...Holland Tulip Resort (not Cafe) is running a daily special set lunch/dinner of sour or salad, main course, and dessert for B 250; they are also running an "all you can eat" pasta buffet for B 350. The pasta buffet is not pre-cooked slop set out in food-warmers on a table but as many plates of pasta one wants/can eat from their ala carte pasta offerings on their regular menu (which they bring out in courses). Today I had the gnocchi with Gorgonzola cheese sauce and the spaghetti carbonara and both were excellent. You can mix and match about 4 different pastas with I think 5 sauces (arabita, bolonaise, carbonara, Gorgonzola, and maybe a marinara). This is all eaten al fresco in their beautiful garden setting.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya