The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

What will that new large restaurant being built near La Baguette Jomtien be?

OK, I saw a sign up.

Something like The Wood Box or The Wooden Box, salads and cafe.

Sounds a bit odd, like the name for a discount coffin outlet.

Anyway, it looks to be a chain of some kind either Thai or international, but I can't find a link about it.

Is it a chain or a one off?

Maybe to do with this (now closed)?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g317134-d5960070-r207794056-Wooden_Box-Songkhla_Songkhla_Province.html

or this?

https://walkinginthefootstepsofchangnoi.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/wood-box-khon-kaen-thailand/

I think the name is Wooden Box.

The graphic looks different than the closed Songkha place.

Still a mystery.

For a while before they put up a sign, it almost looked like they were building a twin La Baguette.

Eatigo is popular but I wonder if some owners here in Pattaya regret that they joined ? If 90% of the regular customers are lining up to get 50% discount the profit will not be that great.

But for the bigger chains it will not be a problem .

Well, they can cancel any time they like, as some have.

Also of course, the discounts are restricted to less popular time slots.

Pastrami and Rye has some exclusions including quite ironically Pastrami and Rye!

And they've adjusted the times and did away with a 50% slot.

• Like 1

Motorized food cart seen on the street -- Mouth Bum Wing Duck. Duck bums the other dark meat.

See that cart on Beach Road a lot.

First time I did a double take, when I saw "Gon Pet" on his sign smile.png

Had a chinese restaurant brought out a 'special' on the house once, it was a stewed poultry meat of unidentified part.... I was having lengthy discussion with the wife about which part could it be? at first it looks like the mouth... it was beaky but that can't be.. there aren't any meat on duck bill is it? only when I turned the piece around and there is a distinct, round sphincter puckering in the middle did I realize what it was.... didn't tell the wife that we had stewed duck <deleted> until we got home though, since the restaurant loved us so much they brought this 'special' for us.... it would be bad form to not eat it all up

• Like 1

The location which was previously the upscale Italian DAVINCI on Jomtien 2nd road across from Rompho Market is becoming a new upscale restaurant: AMADEUS TAPAS.

Austrian Tapas? Okie dokie.

Sounds like perhaps the same owners? Arty names. Just a guess.

The location which was previously the upscale Italian DAVINCI on Jomtien 2nd road across from Rompho Market is becoming a new upscale restaurant: AMADEUS TAPAS.

Can't help but admire some people's determination in the face of apparently overwhelming odds.

• Like 1

Can't help but admire some people's determination in the face of apparently overwhelming odds.

I like the idea of an actual SPANISH tapas restaurant. That might work somewhere in town. Not sure about there.

• Like 2

Dubai Restaurant

"Arabic" Soi between 2nd Road and Walking Street, South Pattaya

To the LEFT of Marine Plaza Hotel going to towards Walking Street

This soi has been known for Middle Eastern oriented business for decades now. It's a bit hard to tell them apart. The presumption is they will be mediocre tourist draw places. I try some of them every few years.

Dubai caught my eye mainly because their sign said PAKISTANI FOOD instead of the usual Indian, and also of course Arabic, Iranian, etc.

Their menu is HUGE, too big really to digest easily.

Feeling overwhelmed I decided to try Middle Eastern and asked for the Egyptian foul (bean dish) but they didn't have it. Then I thought to try the Indian paneer pakora. Didn't have it.

So decided to go all Indian / Pakistani, whatever.

Had chana masala 140, 1/2 tandoor chicken 160, and a plain nan 20.

As you can see the prices are reasonable for Pattaya.

The chana masala was adequate, the chicken was a bit under par because it included a breast without bone so dried out but the leg piece was OK, and the plain nan, a large size, was EXCELLENT.

A feature is they serve a gratis salad plate, some raw vegetables a two good dips, one Indian mint and one more Arabic spicy pepper thing.

I liked that a lot.

All in all, hard to get excited about the place, but it was good enough to consider future visits to find more of their stuff that MIGHT be excellent, as the nan was.

There are several "Dubai" restaurants in Bangkok. Possibly the same chain, as the food sounds similar ? One is in Soi 4 ( Nana), if it's still there, and one in Soi 11. Maybe there are more.

The atmosphere and service in the Dubai place felt kind of odd. Very few customers and like I said the huge menu where so much apparently not really on offer. I have a pet peeve about ridiculously large menus but I get they are trying to please numerous nationalities. I would love to see a local place that does PAKISTANI food only and does it really well. Dream on, I suppose.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Went to The Rock Kitchen, located on Soi Kopai, for dinner tonight. The restaurant is only a open single shop house and is run by a Thai family that spent 8 years living in Victoria, Australia. The chef, a young Thai girl that spoke like a true Aussie, done an apprenticeship in Australia and won a gold medal prize at an Aus TAFE state competition.

We had bruschetta, spicy seafood marinara and a crispy skin salmon with salad, with a bottle of Australian red wine. I thought all the food was very tasty and very well presented. Wine cost 450baht for a bottle, food was just over 450 in total. I will be going back here again.

Also recommend other people in the area to give it a try. Would love to see this family that has recently gone through some difficult times be supported.

post-245798-14550289943275_thumb.jpg

post-245798-14550290093174_thumb.jpg

post-245798-14550290261943_thumb.jpg

post-245798-14550290395858_thumb.jpg

post-245798-14550290519195_thumb.jpgpost-245798-14550290613757_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm hoping my pin drop is nearly correct. I am not 100% sure though that's why I included the photo of the sign. You can't miss it. Especially at night time, really stands out.

It was directly opposite Mony restaurant.

Edited by rws85

I'm hoping my pin drop is nearly correct. I am not 100% sure though that's why I included the photo of the sign. You can't miss it. Especially at night time, really stands out.

Thanks for the effort.

Honestly, I'm not really excited by the photos.

Also, it's not baht bus friendly.

Perhaps others who visit there can post more details about the menu and the prices.

Cheers.

Do they have a Facebook page or website ? Would like to see their menu .

Not that I have been able to find but here a few more pics from other people's reviews on Facebook. Was enough to make want to give the place a try.

post-245798-14550707783894_thumb.jpg

post-245798-14550707951429_thumb.jpgpost-245798-145507080983_thumb.jpg

post-245798-14550708491341_thumb.jpg

post-245798-14550708833548_thumb.jpgpost-245798-14550709012247_thumb.jpgpost-245798-14550709149245_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's cool but by now I think we've heard about this place, so please don't post here on THIS THREAD with DAILY updates on their daily specials. If they want that kind of free publicity, they need their own website.

About the food, that's a pork filet, with mash and veg ... hardly exciting from a culinary POV. Sorry. I don't get the hype. Can't you get very similar at 100 places in town? I do see that it's stacked up artfully and the price is right, I'll give it that!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Sorry that I UPSET you, mate. Do realise you may of started this POST but besides that I'm not sure your in a position to ADVISE me what to do.

People were asking if they had a WEBSITE or a MENU available, which they do not. So I was just trying to show an example of what other options and pricing they had available there.

Also I do realise you can get the same meal in many other places but who is doing the cooking? My point about this place is the lady is a qualified CHEF that speaks great ENGLISH. So does the lady serving. I believe this a big ADVANTAGE over many places in Pattaya.

I had already decided this my last post about the RESTAURANT without the need of you telling me.

Edited by rws85

Yeah, that's fine.

If info posted had tempted me more, I might find a way to go there. Inconvenient or not.

Objectively speaking the PICTURES don't indicate the food offering is particularly remarkable or rare, but granted the proof is in the EATING.

You made a very good case for the place and people can choose for themselves, as with any place.

So no need to insult people who choose not to own private vehicles here.

Better energy spent in promoting a real taxi meter system here so more people without vehicles can more practically ACCESS the large parts of this city without good baht bus access.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2