Recipe For Disaster ...

David48

Recipe for disaster ...

My gf was picking up the niece and her friend coming back from school latish in the evening.

Motorcyclist, night-time, no helmet, well pissed (apparently), way, way too fast and a stray dog ... recipe for disaster … zipped by.

Sluggish Soi Dog … should have zigged, but zagged instead and the bike collected it, apparently causing the rider to crash in the Klong barrier.

Neighbourhood Farm's son, a young man, but not a boy ... well respected ... but had his faults.

Riding back from the school the gf witnessed the results of his poor judgment …leg bones through the skin (and at the wrong angles), gooey red stuff from the head area ...

We read about these stores time and time again in Thailand, but what is missing most times is that personal connection.

Tonight she’s gone to that part of the funeral service where they wash the hand of the deceased, and tomorrow night will be the 2nd night of the Funeral proper.

It’s a tragedy because he was young, full of promise, no gossip ever of drugs, respectful to his parents and took good care of them. Just made a poor judgment with which he ultimately paid for with his life.

When you witness the accident and it’s someone you know well, it really hits home.

I just wish it was the gf’s nephew would have saw this so that he might have 2
nd
thoughts attempting such foolish riding like this.

Thoughts on any of the above?

BTW, it happened near Old Sukhumvit Rd in the Samut Prakan area, down near where they raised the klong over the road that empties the Airport.

It's a sad story that is destined to be repeated over and over. The Buddhist monk probably told him if he put a few more baht in the church plate he would live to be an old man. I continually shake my head in amazement at how the young Thai men ride their scooters.

Most of us are inured to the reality of these types of deaths, right now in the news forum we have the annual headcount of casualties as people head home for New Year.

Last year at this time I happened across an accident where two people had been thrown from a pick up at high speed, both quite obviously dead, and a horrific pool of blood formed around them. What sticks in my mind was a villager, a middle aged lady, kneeling down in the blood, holding the hand of one of the deceased and gently praying.

Numbers are only numbers until you see the reality, and once you see the reality you will never forget it.

• Like 2

Last year near home. Young teen 13 or 14, took his jacket off, and tied it round his neck like a cape. Sets off on motor bike, and lays face down. The back draft blew his jacket over his head, and straight into a tree at 70 he goes. Tree was ok, he won't be polluting the gene pool.

Edited by Mosha

A sad story, repeated all too often all over the world. I was horrified at the numbers of dead and injured on the first day of the New Year rush. The toll is bad enough in the Scottish Highlands, where I used to be an Auxiliary firefighter. RTAs always sickened me, with the pain, distress, carnage and the waste of life. Irrespective of their apparent stupidity, one should never forget that the folk who caused these incidents were the sons, brothers, fathers, uncles (include here the female equivalents) or friends to other people, so the troll posts are REALLY poor taste. There, but for the grace of God......

I hope she-who-must-be-obeyed us OK, David.

• Like 1

When I was a youngster I used to ride my bikes faster than I do now.

One difference between riding in the UK then and the Thai youngsters is that I always rode in full protective gear that included the best helmet I could afford.

Also my bikes had proper wheels that put a decent amount of rubber in contact with the road. Youngsters here seem to think it cool to put on the skinniest wheels possible which results in a severe lack of grip. When you get into a skid or slide on those wheels I'd guess it is harder to keep the bike upright.

And then there are what I can only describe as cultural issues not that I really understand them totally.

When I was young I had to take driving and riding lessons before taking a proper test. Now I know that doesn't happen here but Thai people aren't genetically stupid and asked anyone and they will know several people who have died in road accidents. But do they learn from that knowledge? It doesn't appear so and for the life of me I don't understand. Nobody wears a helmet in the village or a seatbelt......why?

I knew one person in the UK killed in a motorcycle accident and it was the only fatal rta I witnessed in 45 years. I have been coming to Thailand for over eleven years now, lived here for six. I do alot of driving here admittedly but in that time I have seen over twenty people dead on the road.

I hope one day the carnage will stop.

Darwin would have called it natural selection. Only the fittest and smartest will survive.

If it was natural selection then most of the population would be wiped out on the roads, so guess it must be Karma as the Thais believe after all.

<snip>There, but for the grace of God......

I hope she-who-must-be-obeyed us OK, David.

Rob8891 ... I'm hearing you. There also but for the grace of God ... I understand that statement sooooo well as I have led an adventurous life ... as has many here on this Forum.

One of my jobs was as a motorcycle courier in London. A brief aside here as I tip my hat to the English drivers (20 years ago) ... never an accident, no craziness, and wonderfull adaptability to drive what was in font of them.

As for the Lassie ... well, she went to the hand washing earlier this evening and now back for the 1st night of the funeral.

She's a Farm Girl and takes most in her stride ... but this did upset her and more then a nightmare.

Still disturbed for the 2nd night ... she says the visual image is difficult to dislodge.

NYE is around the corner and maybe better times ahead.

thanks also krisb ... wai.gif

I have been told that I am an aggressive rider, but I am constantly aware of what is around me at all times. I don't race into areas where I can't see what is ahead of me. My tather taught me to never drive beyond my vision and I've mostly stayed with that philosophy. However, every day I see Thais riding and driving way beyond their limits to stop in a short distance. Today, I was cutting across several lanes of traffic and I had my blinker going. It should have been obvious that I wanted to get to the other side of the road, but still, a motorcyclist just had to get past me and cut me off. In the same situation I would have eased off on the throttle and moved by once the person crossing had past. It's just learning from experience to read what is happening around you, but many Thais never seem to learn that lesson. Just about every Thai family member who has a motorbike will have scars from previous accidents, and yet they still don't seem to have an idea of what to do to prevent it happening. Just slowly chugging along on the side of the road is not an answer.

• Like 2

Darwin would have called it natural selection. Only the fittest and smartest will survive.

If it was natural selection then most of the population would be wiped out on the roads, so guess it must be Karma as the Thais believe after all.

It's a very prolonged process. Nature simply cannot afford to wipe out most of its gene pool overnight .

^^ Not wishing to turn this into 'how to ride a bike thread' but I agree 100 % with ...

read what is happening around you
rene123's post above.

And we don't want it to be a "bikers thread". We just hope you can give some solace to your friend in her time of need. And, hopefully she might have learned a valuable lesson that might save her from harm in the future. Hopefully, we can all learn from our mistakes. Lord knows I've made enough of my own.

• Like 1

you neglect to mention whether or not the gf, friend and child were riding a bike or driving and whether or not they had helmets too.

i watched a russian kid with a broken neck bleed out this time last year because he was far too pissed driving far too fast. He lasted about 40 minutes. "help" arrived about 20 mins later.

no personal connection needed, the point is some people only learn the hard way.

thais are very pragmatic about this kind of death, and in this instance i took a page from their book and gave it little more thought.

you neglect to mention whether or not the gf, friend and child were riding a bike or driving and whether or not they had helmets too.

And a valid point also.

Honest 100% ... just spoke with the Lassie ... she had a helmet ... but the 2 school girls did not ... dry.png

When she and I ride together ... we both wear helmets ... though difficult to control the actions of others.

Such a sad experience for you Dave whilst on holidays, but it does drive home how fragile life is and unfortunately it is taken for granted by the younger generation ( and I am not restricting it to Thais here ).

Sorry I don't know what else to say, but all we can do is keep a safe outlook for ourselves and each other.......and know that all other road users are predictably unpredictable.

Stay safe.

Cheers.

Bloody hell David, thats terrible. In the villages helmets arent cool and if they wear them they look like cheap crap thats not gonna save anything then drunk on top of it all is just crazy. Just look after your missus, do what you gotta do. Cook her a nice dinner or take her out somewhere buy her something to help make her feel a bit better. Sad story.

Even the police don't wear them riding around the village.

in my life to date have had 4 motocy accidents in the UK 1 car wreck in the UK. survived a helicopter ditching in Nigeria. ..cardiac arrest in Malaysia.. Falciparum Malaria and beat Colon Cancer in recent years.... Doc said my fitness level was astounding but maybe it is all down to Karma... when the time comes it comes but I no longer fear death but dont take stupid chances to tempt fate

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

My friends who recently visited said as I was driving them somewhere.

"It would drive me nuts having to drive like that.'

"Like what?"

"Your thumb resting on the horn."

"I didn't always, but after a while it becomes Standard Operating Practice."

I hit a 3 wheeler a few months ago, He was parked at the side of the road. I was 15' away, and he just pulled out and tried to do a U-Turn. Luckily he was ok, in fact our pickup had more damage. He shrugged it off. Later his brother turned up saying he'd broken his leg, and demanded 2000 Baht. My wife told him to go into town and talk to our insurance company. Never heard another thing about it.