Thai Death Toll Rises To 202 During New Year's Holidays: Road Safety Centre

webfact

Thai death toll rises to 202 during New Year's holidays: Road Safety Centre

By Digital Media

dt.jpeg

BANGKOK, Dec 31 - Thailand's Road Safety Centre reports that the death toll so far during the first four days of the New Year's holidays has reached 202, with Nakhon Pathom province seeing the highest number at 11 persons.

Deputy Prime Minister/Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana said the number of road accidents has reached 1,827, while 1,898 have been injured, with Chiang Mai province seeing the most road accidents at 89 and the most injured at 91, followed by Chiang Rai at 59 with also 59 injured, and Nakhon Sawan at 54 with 58 injured.

Following Nakhon Pathom's highest death toll, Chiang Mai was second with 10, and Petchabun third at eight dead.

So far, 15 provinces have not recorded casualties -- 3 provinces in the north, 4 in the northeast, 4 in the central region, and 4 in the south.

Trat province in Thailand's east has not recorded any road accident in the past days.

According to Road Safety Directing Center, Mr Phongthep said drunken-driving is the main cause of death at 35 per cent.

During the past 24 hours as of December 30, the fourth day of the safe driving campaign, there were 505 road accidents nationwide with Chiang Mai still the province seeing the highest number of accidents at 28, followed by Buri Ram at 21, and Petchabun at 19. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-12-31

I have been told that Thailand only records deaths from road accidents that occur on the day. Apparently those that die from injuries in the days following are not included in the statistics. If that is the case then the road toll should be much higher. Does anyone know if this is in fact true???

• Like 1

I have been told that Thailand only records deaths from road accidents that occur on the day. Apparently those that die from injuries in the days following are not included in the statistics. If that is the case then the road toll should be much higher. Does anyone know if this is in fact true???

It's been a long held understanding that the numbers quoted are for those dead at the scene, get them to hospital and even if they die on the gurney they are not counted.

Is anyone really worried, it would't seem so.

It's almost like a national sport in Thailand.

If they were serious they would.....

• get the underage drivers off the roads
  • get the unlicenced drivers off the roads
  • get the drunks of the roads (this would elliminate 80% of vehicles on the roads)
  • fire any cop taking a bribe and make sure the remaining 10% get off there ass and do the job that they are paid to do (and which they paid to get)
  • annual fitness testing for all vehicles (carried out by honest individuals)
  • get a proper defensive driver education programme in place

It's not rocket science. Western countries have had a declining road toll each year for 60 years. Nuff said.. TiT

(and forget the 'RIP' that's OK for the dead, but, what about the families still here.

• get the drunks of the roads (this would elliminate 80% of vehicles on the roads)

And get the female drivers of the road. Then there wouldn't be anybody on the streets. maybe some sober TVF members...w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

That is correct. The regular procedere for other countries is to also count those fatalaties, which occur up to thirty days after the accident, if they died due to the injuries of that accident. Also an estimated 10 per cent of accidents are being settled privately, to avoid legal prosecution. Fatalaties from those accidents do not enter the statistics either.

• Like 1

So 35% of deaths are caused by drunken driving, therefore 65% must be caused by sober driving.

65% are just total plain stupidity! Stupidity before courage! I refused to drive my new car out during this period. A lot of XXXXX wits out there! I leased a cheap Toyota Vios to do my groceries & my chores. Edited by metisdead

Bloody interesting isn't it?! I met my firsthand xxxxx just yesterday when I was turning into Siam Square. The bozo was driving an old beaten up 20 years Corolla. Refused to let me pass. Slowed down when I slowed down & deliberately accelerate when I accelerate. That's how they get shot in the first place!

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

Yes it is fact but the death toll is actually only counted if they are dead at the accident scene. (Makes their statistics look better)

Yes it is fact but the death toll is actually only counted if they are dead at the accident scene. (Makes their statistics look better)

Even with that they're still appalling.

• Like 1

It's been a long held understanding that the numbers quoted are for those dead at the scene, get them to hospital and even if they die on the gurney they are not counted.

It was changed a few years ago how they count it, in a bid to make the songkran death toll look less.

• fire any cop taking a bribe and make sure the remaining 10% get off there ass and do the job that they are paid to do (and which they paid to get)

It's not rocket science. Western countries have had a declining road toll each year for 60 years. Nuff said.. TiT

(and forget the 'RIP' that's OK for the dead, but, what about the families still here.

Honest individuals? I take it you mean people who will not take a bribe to pass your car? We are talking about Thailand here, aren't we? Yes, RIP to the poor innocent people who have died. But not the drunken drivers, I am glad they are dead. Better that than letting them loose on the road to kill other innocent People.
  • Like 1

Yes that is what they need to do the only problem is if they actually did that it would hardly be any police left or drivers on the road!

Yes as far as I know that is true so in general there are a lot more accidents deaths then reported as they basically only count DOA.

Madness.

The g/f refused to travel home to Issan for the new year and I cannot blame her. We'll stay here in Pattaya, have a meal and watch the fireworks in the sky tonight along beach road.

I'm only hoping we find sober m/c taxis to take us home ......blink.png

• Like 1

Also stop the practice of the police fining drivers, and letting them continue on their journey. When they have a receipt for their first fine that day it seems they only need to show the receipt the next time they are stopped to avoid another fine.

Stop unlicenced young people from riding motor cycles. They are very obvious but somehow as long as the driver has a helmet on (don't worry about the other 3 passengers) they are not touched.

The unlicenced drivers are the worst because they have no idea as to what the road rules are!!!

I do not believe the statistics that are reported. There are many unreported accidents. How many of them are fatal and just covered up with a little payment? I don't know, hopefully this practice is not done when there is a fatality. They need mandatory driver's education courses and (it galls me to say this) fines for the people who believe traffic laws are beneath them.

As posters in the past have said regarding this subject, whether it be Songkran or the Christmas/New year period, it is Thailand's way of refining the gene pool.

The problem is that the drunk or reckless drivers are not the only ones killed.

• Like 2

Also stop the practice of the police fining drivers, and letting them continue on their journey. When they have a receipt for their first fine that day it seems they only need to show the receipt the next time they are stopped to avoid another fine.

Stop unlicenced young people from riding motor cycles. They are very obvious but somehow as long as the driver has a helmet on (don't worry about the other 3 passengers) they are not touched.

The unlicenced drivers are the worst because they have no idea as to what the road rules are!!!

Where would they house the 100s caught every day at every checkpoint?

As soon as the holiday period is over the Ministry of Propaganda will issue the usual ridiculous statement to explain it's not as bad as it seems. I seem to remember during the "real" Thaksin administration they cut down the number of days over a Songkran to reduce the terrible statistics so days that had been named as holidays were but they were not either. Lies, damned lies and Thai statistics !

• Like 2

It doesn't surprise me having just returned from 2 weeks in Northern Thailand. My family travelled to Chiang Rai and areas around there and the speeds travelled at,even through towns, was something to make our hair stand on end. There seemed to be little Police presence on the highways and almost nothing of speed limit signage. I commented to my friend, who was driving us around, that maybe the Buddhist philosophy of more than one life makes them feel immune to the danger.

• Like 1

I drove north on Friday thinking I would miss the traffic. Big mistake with huge amounts of traffic. These drivers are completely without any fear at all. I am surprised there aren't 200 deaths per hour. I will never repeat that mistake again. Stay with public transportation during ANY holiday. Much safer. I feel lucky to come away with no accident.

• Like 1