Chiang Mai Politician Pushes For Second Airport

webfact

Chiang Mai Politician Pushes For Second Airport

n24.jpeg

The governor of Chiangmai has revived plans to build a second airport about 10 km from the city center. The proposed new airport is part of an overall plan to remake the Chiangmai into a bustling “new city” as its economic growth and expansion continues.

CHIANG MAI: -- A second airport at Chiang Mai is being proposed by Mr. Tanin Supasan, the governor of Chiangmai. He pitched the airport project to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, when she recently visited the area to appoint a governor for the eight upper northern provinces.

newsjsMr. Tanin said that during the tenure of Yingluck’s brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, plans had been discussed to expand and remake Chiangmai into a new revitalized city. A study was commissioned for the Sankampang area and Mae Orn for the project, but there was no progress after that.

Mr. Tanin revived the plan for a Chiangmai makeover with a second airport, which he presented to Ms. Yingluck. Because Chiangmai is expanding and there are many investments being made, now is the time to be planning to find land to support the city’s continual expanding, he said.

If the government is ready to support the project, the second airport could be built in the next 5-10 years, Mr. Thanin said. Chiangmai’s present airport is already crowded, with passenger trips rising to 4.5 million per year, he said. A total of 16 international and local airlines use the airport.

Also supporting the idea of a second Chiangmai airport was Mr. Narong Tananuwat, the director of the Trade and Investment Service Center. There are more than 100 daily flights from the present airport, he noted.

If government officials could see the current congestion of Chiangmai airport, they would realize the need for a second airport, Mr. Narong said. Furthermore, the current aging airport is encircled by communities, which creates noise problems for nearby houses, people, and schools. There are also archaeological sites located along the runway, he added. [more...]

Full story: http://www.pattayada...second-airport/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-01-04

footer_n.gif

Agree with naboo - I spend a lot of time at CMU which is under the flight path, and it's nowhere near at capacity in terms of flight movements - for most of the day there's less than five flights per hour, plus at times the military jets which may add a few cycles per hour but I'd be surprised if this airport is at much more than 10-15% of maximum flight movements. The departures part of the terminal can get crowded at busy times, but that's a matter of expanding the terminal, for which there's also plenty of space - the large carpark could be "folded up" into a multi-story carparking tower and the terminal expanded in that direction.

So one has to assume the motivation behind this project is other than capacity-related...

• Like 1

Like the plan was not written in stone when the certain family bought a lot of the land in that area years ago.

The real question is will a new airport and "New Chiang Mai " really benefit the citizens of the existing Chiang Mai or just the families that intend to make the changes to a city the Now Bangkok and overseas families own the land outside the traditional city borders. Clearly they have done little to improve the lives of Sangkampang residents by the look of the their downtown and local businesses.

Fame and pride of being a home town of the prime ministers brother is wearing thin when see no real local benefits, but others get rich from being family and friends.

What airport is that in the photo? It looks nice

It looks a bit like a dusty Swampy

But previous posters beat me to it ... how much of the proposed land use is owned by the Shinawatra's, their friends, and relatives?

A thai friend has relatives in the San K area and the inside info is that the Big T family has bought the land where the airport will go. I wrote this on TV several months ago.

As far as I know this is why the 1317 road was quite good quality but I did think that the plans left the country with Thaksin. They better be quick if they want to do it there, the development in the area is huge BUT a new airport, is that before or after the new international centre for the movie industry?

The current airport is overcrowded?

Its deserted! Spend the money on an improved rail link to Lampang so that when the Chinese build their new train set we can link into it. Give us a good alternative to get to Bangkok and half the flights will be gone.

Exactly.

This project is an unnecessary delirium aimed at filling the Shin family pockets at the expenses of the taxpayers and the (remaining) beauty/tranquility of Chiang Mai valley. And don't dream that the current airport would be deserted: the military really enjoy it.

CM doesn't need any bigger airport but rather an efficient train connection at least with BKK. Efficient means comfortable, reliable and faster. But no need for HS train. Just a regular infrastructure with trains linking both cities on a frequent schedule in a 5 hours journey would do the trick without needing more than widely available technology.

But this doesn't turn into huge pocket filling opportunities of course... whistling.gif

• Like 2

I was having a scout around on google maps to see where you could locate a new airport out east of the city. Doesn't seem to be anywhere unless at least a couple of villages or more are relocated. Would they do this in Thailand? This isn't China. And moving a couple of villages would only get you an airport the same size as the existing one.

Another of Chiang Mai's urban rural myths?

Edited by MESmith

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...and guess whose bought all the land in that area????

This smells like the Koh Samui 2nd airport proposal. that is currently being pushed. Pre the last coup friends of a certain family bought vast amounts of farm land and then magically a air port was proposed there, now it is up again.... giggle.gif

I wonder if this in CM also has to do with getting those pesky planes away to a new flight path so certain land becomes more expensive. giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Yeah...and guess whose bought all the land in that area????

This smells like the Koh Samui 2nd airport proposal. that is currently being pushed. Pre the last coup friends of a certain family bought vast amounts of farm land and then magically a air port was proposed there, now it is up again.... giggle.gif

Although in the case of Samui it would make more sense, as the current airport is (far as I know still) owned by Bangkok Airways - which charges very high usage rights to others. And which in turn causes tickets to and from Samui to be very expensive, compared to other domestic flights of similar duration and keeps players like Air Asia away. So if a new airport would be owned by others, this might bring down ticket prices which would be a good thing...

However going somewhat off topic here...

Edited by Plastic Brontosaurus

• 2 weeks later...
Although in the case of Samui it would make more sense, as the current airport is (far as I know still) owned by Bangkok Airways - which charges very high usage rights to others. And which in turn causes tickets to and from Samui to be very expensive, compared to other domestic flights of similar duration and keeps players like Air Asia away. So if a new airport would be owned by others, this might bring down ticket prices which would be a good thing...

However going somewhat off topic here...

You raise a valid point. If these crooks get away with building a pointless and expensive new airport, you can bet your arse that airport tax will quadruple.

Congested current airport in CM? cheesy.gif

Sometimes I think I'm living in an alternate reality.

When I read it I thought it was April Fools' Day!

It's like pigs to the trough! Everyone's getting in on it. They even want to expand Pattaya airport.

giggle.gif

Have you been to Utapao before? It's tiny. If they want to use it as an alternate during emergencies, the terminal really needs to be expanded.