Buying A Laptop In Thailand

jambco984

Just drive over to Phitsanulok central plaza - lots to pick from on second floor.

You can pre shop on many web sites like

http://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/listCategory/2/1002/40

They also have an outlet there.

I was looking for something closer but when I go home to Sukhothai in a few weeks i will pop in and look. Give me an excuse to check out the hotties wandering round haha.

Thanks.

Any model suggestions anyone??

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

They all have similar specs. Acer best value, Samsung just a touch more but better screen. Lenovo grabbing market share now -some have spongy keyboards- others great. Dell average all round but do the job.

...You can't go far wrong with an Intel core i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB H/D, Decent screen and a Decent Keyboard. 17K gets you this hardware. 15K for core-i3. Market quite competitive right now so look for getting decent amount of RAM & large HD as both cheap right now. Money goes into the CPU so base your "value" estimation off that key item.

• Like 1

Just had a quick look at the JIB website. Don't know if USB superspeed 3.0 comes with any of them but it's worth looking out for.

Anyway;

Thinking about it, If I was buying one for someone who'd mainly write emails and surf the web, I'd get a cheaper one with an Intel Pentium CPU, 4GB RAM and 500GB H/D. I'd also buy an Intel SSD H/D and an OEM copy of Windows 8. I'd then take the laptop to the proper service centre; get them to change the HD for the SSD and stick their warranty sticker on the case. Then I'd install the legal copy of Windows onto the laptop. Chuck the 500GB into a external case (maybe usb 3.0 connection) and use that to backup my windows install and keep copies of important files.

• Like 1

They all have similar specs. Acer best value, Samsung just a touch more but better screen. Lenovo grabbing market share now -some have spongy keyboards- others great. Dell average all round but do the job.

...You can't go far wrong with an Intel core i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB H/D, Decent screen and a Decent Keyboard. 17K gets you this hardware. 15K for core-i3. Market quite competitive right now so look for getting decent amount of RAM & large HD as both cheap right now. Money goes into the CPU so base your "value" estimation off that key item.

Thanks for all that. What about Asus?? My mate Kwasaki and his non TV mates rate them highly??

Just had a quick look at the JIB website. Don't know if USB superspeed 3.0 comes with any of them but it's worth looking out for.

Anyway;

Thinking about it, If I was buying one for someone who'd mainly write emails and surf the web, I'd get a cheaper one with an Intel Pentium CPU, 4GB RAM and 500GB H/D. I'd also buy an Intel SSD H/D and an OEM copy of Windows 8. I'd then take the laptop to the proper service centre; get them to change the HD for the SSD and stick their warranty sticker on the case. Then I'd install the legal copy of Windows onto the laptop. Chuck the 500GB into a external case (maybe usb 3.0 connection) and use that to backup my windows install and keep copies of important files.

Lots of downloading of movies and work stuff. I will need word etc as i will spend a lot of time tinkering on it. If i go to a supermarket or JIB or any other seemingly legal and decent company, will i get an official copy of windows.

Thanks

Not for free you won't. I think I paid 2750 for Win 7 Home Prem. Office is at least that I presume.

Sorry; never paid much attention to Asus. My best advice already given regarding basic CPU and upgrade disk.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

Not for free you won't. It's about B2500.

So i pay 15k-20k on a half decent computer and it doesnt come with a real copy? Why and how do they get away with this?

Because a copy of Windows is not a prerequisite for every computer. Not everyone wants it or wants to pay for it. So in Thailand, some models are sold without it.

If you want it, you can purchase it separately. What's the problem with that? Why do you consider that they are 'getting away with it' if you are not willing to pay for a licenced copy? It would be you attempting to 'get away with it' if you aren't willing to pay.

I think hardware house in the plaza has a number of laptop with win 7 pre installed and only a few at JIB have it but they sell the OS too.. I know a time back I was eying up an i7 with win 7 pro. Maybe by now they have win 8 at each.

IT city is in the old topland building - not the new topland by the topland hotel beside Highway 12 but over by the train station - a number of other shops in there too - there is parking down stairs. Look for the blue white sign for IT city and enter the small drive by the sign.

So i pay 15k-20k on a half decent computer and it doesnt come with a real copy? Why and how do they get away with this?

Because a copy of Windows is not a prerequisite for every computer. Not everyone wants it or wants to pay for it. So in Thailand, some models are sold without it.

If you want it, you can purchase it separately. What's the problem with that? Why do you consider that they are 'getting away with it' if you are not willing to pay for a licenced copy? It would be you attempting to 'get away with it' if you aren't willing to pay.

There is no problem at all smarty pants. You go to the same sort of shops in the west its on nearly all models or at least the basic windows setup. Yes there are people with linux hard ons but im not that into computers.

I consider them getting away with it as lots of computers have the illegal copy and sold in these shops. Yes or No??

Im not out for WW3 im asking questions I dont know the answers to so please be nice.

Right, here's a particular Dell model that comes with windows. THB 17,900. https://www.jib.co.t...08/2/index.html

Disclaimer: I've never owned a Dell and my advice is purely speculative. Perhaps some other members might have some experience with these Dell Vostro's and can chip-in ?

Edit: You'd probably want to *not* swap out the H/D on this one as it would break the Windows installation.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

Right, here's a particular Dell model that comes with windows. THB 17,900. https://www.jib.co.t...08/2/index.html

Disclaimer: I've never owned a Dell and my advice is purely speculative. Perhaps some other members might have some experience with these Dell Vostro's and can chip-in ?

Edit: You'd probably want to *not* swap out the H/D on this one as it would break the Windows installation.

Dell has a good reputation. Older Dells were bulletproof--I know of an ancient Dell still runnin' fine.

OP shouldn't be so biased against Linux. For what he's doing, it's a good fit. SO stable & fast; no need to worry about viruses; easy to use nowadays. Linux has come far!

• Like 1

Dell has a good reputation. Older Dells were bulletproof--I know of an ancient Dell still runnin' fine.

OP shouldn't be so biased against Linux. For what he's doing, it's a good fit. SO stable & fast; no need to worry about viruses; easy to use nowadays. Linux has come far!

Im not biased i have just never used it a lot before.

Thanks for all the help everyone much appreciated.

There is no problem at all smarty pants. You go to the same sort of shops in the west its on nearly all models or at least the basic windows setup. Yes there are people with linux hard ons but im not that into computers.

I consider them getting away with it as lots of computers have the illegal copy and sold in these shops. Yes or No??

Im not out for WW3 im asking questions I dont know the answers to so please be nice.

Getting away with ....? They aren't charging you extra(other than a couple of hundred baht for installation). So it would be you trying to get away with it if you buy a laptop without Windows installed and then expect it to be installed for free. They will also give you the option of Genuine Windows, but it will cost more than the 'hacked' copy.

Buying a laptop with a genuine COA and Windows pre-installed costs more. So the only people 'getting away with it' are the users of the aforementioned laptops

Ok thanks for clarifying. I dont have much of a clue how the market works. When I have bought £300-£500 or a £800 computer in the west Windows is already there no after charging except to upgrade. Going on a 15k baht computer roughly being £300 i thought it was just a given.

Off topic but i bought a computer in England with Windows7 basic and spent approx £80 to upgrade and after the purchase was told this wont work on your machine, before the purchase it was yes no probs.

So kinda im owed a freebie as they wouldnt refund, In my opinion anyway. Thats why I have a bitter taste in my mouth.

Thanks for all your input folks.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I dont have much of a clue how the market works. When I have bought £300-£500 or a £800 computer in the west Windows is already there no after charging except to upgrade. Going on a 15k baht computer roughly being £300 i thought it was just a given.

Off topic but i bought a computer in England with Windows7 basic and spent approx £80 to upgrade and after the purchase was told this wont work on your machine, before the purchase it was yes no probs.

So kinda im owed a freebie as they wouldnt refund, In my opinion anyway. Thats why I have a bitter taste in my mouth.

Could have solved that problem for you in a few seconds and at no cost.

Could have solved that problem for you in a few seconds and at no cost.

It was a long time ago before I even knew this forum existed so sadly cost incurred. Nay bother though.

Lots of models in that price range, +/- 2k baht, bought one myself a few months ago.

Shop around, check the specs, etc. I found that the IT malls in the provincial cities (like Khon Kaen) will have app. the same prices as the big places in Bangkok, like Fortune and Pranthip.

I ended up with a Toshiba L840.

• Like 1

Posted

Hahaha. In a most friendly way I must tell you that you made that post with Linux. :)

Posted

Hahaha. In a most friendly way I must tell you that you made that post with Linux. :)

So if its Linux why do I still get viruses? I don't really care what I get just as long as its value for money. :-) Haha

Actually I suspect the future is tablet with keyboard/dock so if I were buying that would be my choice (even though I do not even use a smartphone for more than calls) - ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T would be in that price range. Not trying to confuse but as you are about to make the decision you might want to consider a tablet of some type. It seems they can do most things we use a computer for these days.

Believe even Microsoft knows this and is why they have pushed out Windows 8 as Android seems to make Windows redundant as the transformation to new technology continues.

• Like 1

If you have friends visiting from the UK, consider something like this Toshiba Satellite C850-101 for around 10k baht. You can stick another 4GB of RAM in for next to nothing. That way you'll have Genuine Windows pre-installed.

Specs here

Good option thanks. Folks will be over soon so might do that. Ill keep looking though ;-)

Anyway;

Interesting advice. Thanks. What sort of capacity on the SSD would you recommend for an average user? And can anyone recommend a decent shop in Bangkok that could help with this?

Buying a laptop in Thailand is a terrible ripoff. I bought a top of line Dell in the US for under 15,000 and yes of course it had legit windows. Those Toshibas go for as low as 6000 in the USA and they got legit windows too. Avoid buying a computer here if you dont wanna get shafted. If you gotta do it then you gotta do it. I bought a lapper at Pantip 10 years ago and learned fast to never ever buy in this country again. Even with an exchange rate of 42 baht to the USD I still overpaid by at least 12000 baht. A friend up in Chang Mai was begging me to bring him back a laptop from the USA a few years later. No could do as I had to buy for myself on my trip back.

I see you might have option to get from UK. Do it. It will still be 25% more than USA but cheaper than Thailand and most importantly better quality. For me I go back to the USA every 2 or 3 years and buy 1 or 2 laptops each trip because they're so cheap and quality

Edited by Nana Cowboy
  • Like 1