Thailand Ranks Among The World's Best Places For North Americans To Retire

webfact

Thailand ranks among the world's best places for North Americans to retire

By Coconuts Bangkok

pattaya1.jpg

Spend your golden years in clean, wholesome Pattaya.

BANGKOK: -- By this point, it can be widely agreed that knowledge doesn’t count unless it’s placed into a numerical list.

Case in point: prior to this week, there existed in the minds of many a murky, inarticulate assertion that Thailand might be a good place to retire. However, the good persons at InternationalLiving.com have finally lent credence to this rumor by creating a list of the Best Places for North Americans to retire, a list that includes (surprise, surprise) Thailand among its ranks.

As reported in the Bangkok Post, InternationLiving.com placed the Kingdom in the ninth spot in its compendium of possible retirement destinations, several slots behind Malaysia, the only other southeast Asian country to make the cut. [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...cans-to-retire/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-01-07

footer_n.gif

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand named ninth-best for retirees

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand ranks ninth in the world as a retirement haven, according to International Living.

The publisher of retirement-oriented magazines said that, compared with Malaysia, one of two Asian destinations in the top 10, Thailand was more attractive only in terms of climate. Its final score is 82.3 points, compared with Malaysia's 89.

Ecuador was No 1 with 91.9 points.

International Living's Retirement Index ranks destinations across eight crucial categories - real estate, special retirement benefits, cost of living, ease of integration, entertainment and amenities, healthcare, retirement infrastructure and climate.

Thailand follows Ecuador, Panama, Malaysia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Uruguay, Colombia and Spain.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-07

OK. I'm off to Ecuador. crazy.gif

Isn't that where the turkeys were all going, planning to claim political-asylum, prior to the Christmas festivities ? rolleyes.gif

They were hoping to pass themselves off as followers of that Julian Assange chap, I heard.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

OK. I'm off to Ecuador. crazy.gif

Isn't that where the turkeys were all going, planning to claim political-asylum, prior to the Christmas festivities ? rolleyes.gif

They were hoping to pass themselves off as followers of that Julian Assange chap, I heard.

I really should Google it and find out where the heck it is! smile.png

Apart from the obvious fact that this survey is highly weighted by living costs I can well imagine that Thailand is high on the list.

As the article is dedicated to retirement most of these visitors will be looking for a bang for their buck in the most financial sense

One of the reasons that many migrate to Pattaya and Phuket is as a result of the volume of tourist that invade these places many locals have the ability that they can speak English induced by free trade and certainly not from their Government education system. this makes day to day living somewat easier.

I lived for some time on the Eastern Seaboard and now live or exist in a suburb of Metropolitan Bangkok and day to day living here is a bloody nightmare compared to the east coast..

Was I coming here to retire then there is no way in hell I would reside in their so called capital city, which is a shambles.

• Like 2

It seems Americans have a pretty bad taste when it comes to places for retirement. Not surprising.

Americans have limited incomes! Most baby boomers will have no private pension and the current AVERAGE social security pension is about 1200 dollars per month. The vast majority of Americans over 50 don't even have 50K USD saved. Real estate values have plummeted. Get the picture? Money is number one.

Of course, naturally, for North Americans considering retirement abroad, the first place most will look is in the Americas.

Edited by Jingthing

Thailand named ninth-best for retirees

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand ranks ninth in the world as a retirement haven, according to International Living.

The publisher of retirement-oriented magazines said that, compared with Malaysia, one of two Asian destinations in the top 10, Thailand was more attractive only in terms of climate. Its final score is 82.3 points, compared with Malaysia's 89.

Ecuador was No 1 with 91.9 points.

International Living's Retirement Index ranks destinations across eight crucial categories - real estate, special retirement benefits, cost of living, ease of integration, entertainment and amenities, healthcare, retirement infrastructure and climate.

Thailand follows Ecuador, Panama, Malaysia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Uruguay, Colombia and Spain.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-07

How did Spain get in there? I was in Barcelona last year. Hotels were $225 a night, cocktails $18, food prices were outrageous, and bottled water $4 each, US.

Another BS theme. Although Pattaya is a good place to retire to if you steer clear of from what is euphemistically called the entertainment area, clean and wholesome are not adjectives that I would use to describe the city. There are many plus points for Pattaya and its environs but the overall appearance is World class scruffiness. Juan-les-Pains it isn't.

I was particularly amused at the posting on Coconut asserting that Yanks were in danger of being ripped off by Brits. Maybe posted by Manuel from Barcelona? Fans of Fawlty Towers will get my drift.

Edited by Bagwan

Why wait until retirement? rolleyes.gif

<deleted> is retirement..please explain..I did this retire-retire?...I did this 35 yrs ago, I am ... well 40 years older than my girl friends...retirement in the NA view is your wife with you running down a beach hand in hand..WHF..it is all fairy Tail stuff that keeps the people in this dream world..ok 65 and I retire..then slowly feel that retirement is ...well I could have done this years ago!...get rid of the baggage one collects and find the soul with in you...yes holly day....holiday where ya become a tourist...and a horney day that is not ever done in north America..just pattaya..well Hugh Heffer said it " Be with young people is the key to living a long time"...so you know the secret..now get out and meet a young lady and enjoy retirement..do it now..retire from the NA mind set... Enjoy the moment..Rotor Ron