Immigration Free-For-All

mgbcnx

I guessing this is all a conspiracy to get more people using a paid visa assistance service.

Oh, the corruption!

We're thinking about moving up there from Pattaya. Would using a Visa Service to renew my extension based on marriage lessen the hassle?

Yes without doubt.

and not all assistance services are created equal. I have a buddy who uses a "service" (one guy) and has never set foot inside immigration building. He resides here on a visa extension based on retirement and once a year he goes to the building, sits outside, waits less than 15 minutes, signs some papers and waits 5 more minutes then leaves with the "guy" and his yearly extension. Same situation when he needs a multiple use re-entry visa... waits outside... of course, he pays a bit more for this type of convenience... but it is indeed convenient... he has never produced any documents other than his passport ...

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a "lightbulb moment" this evening, after reading all the laments by members about long waits to do a simple 90 day report in the last few days, on this thread.

A friend of mine, who does not frequent this forum, has no idea about all the hair-rending and queue machines and tickets with numbers 30 away from those being currently seen.......saunters in a few days ago (Monday), ignores the madhouse and the queue machine (which was shut down when he arrived 3 PMish).

He just walked up to the window, acted dumb, and handed the officers his documents.

In and out in 10 minutes, he claims.

CM Imm has figured out that they can slow down the throughput, by having all believe they need to queue.

So all these dutiful, civilized decent sorts sit there patiently, with their book and ticket.

Meanwhile, Mr. Oblivious wanders in, could care less about this queue thing- and is served in minutes.

Now I am beginning to understand the posts by members who say they have no problem, in and out in minutes, etc.

They have not been inculcated with British queue culture.

Damned colonials......laugh.png

Yes, but look what those services cost--between six and seven hundred dollars. Fine if a company he works for is picking up the tab...

I started this thread, so I should report its conclusion.

At Immigration this morning at 7:45, the herd already surging at the locked door. At 8:00 the national anthem, then the doors opened, and the stampede was underway. No violence, but nobody giving an inch either. At least the early arrivals got a number card (the machine is broken); at the desk those cards were exchanged for an appointment number. When I was given my number, I was told to come back after lunch--at 1:00. People ahead of me had filled all the morning appointment slots.

Back at 1:00, my number was the first up in neon lights. The lady who interviewed me was pleasant, efficient, and accommodating. At 1:15 I was told that all my papers were in perfect order--to take a seat and wait for the return of my passport and 365-day visa extension. At three-thirty I received both, no explanation for the two and a quarter hour delay.

This whole process is not only bizarre but also shameful... My advice: Bring earplugs (the din is awful) and a good book.

• Like 1

Something different for a change....I've made my online booking almost a year ago,so it was quite painless...showed up 5 min late for my 11am appointment (parking in The Plaza=long walksmile.png),went strait to the desk somewhat afraid,that they called me already,but no....so went in 3 min later...and out 20 min after that.Incredible!!! ...that's the first time like that in years...but here is the clue,there was a different(!) lady to handle my case this time,very nice!....the other 'lady' was doing her business at the next desk and a farang was sitting there before I came and still sitting after I got my receipt already........BTW,my wife was chatting with our interviewer and she mention that they will be moving to a new location within a year,somewhere near the City Hall,but not the building by the Canal Rd/700 Years Stadium....so,hopefully things will improve tongue.png

• Like 1

I guessing this is all a conspiracy to get more people using a paid visa assistance service.

Oh, the corruption!

We're thinking about moving up there from Pattaya. Would using a Visa Service to renew my extension based on marriage lessen the hassle?

Yes without doubt.

and not all assistance services are created equal. I have a buddy who uses a "service" (one guy) and has never set foot inside immigration building. He resides here on a visa extension based on retirement and once a year he goes to the building, sits outside, waits less than 15 minutes, signs some papers and waits 5 more minutes then leaves with the "guy" and his yearly extension. Same situation when he needs a multiple use re-entry visa... waits outside... of course, he pays a bit more for this type of convenience... but it is indeed convenient... he has never produced any documents other than his passport ...

What's the "guy's" name and number?biggrin.png

• Like 1

Oh, the corruption!

Yes without doubt.

I find that hard to believe.

I don't know the number of the form but there is a form that needs filling out. Also he might not know what is happening as his service may do all the photocopying for him.

I had a "lightbulb moment" this evening, after reading all the laments by members about long waits to do a simple 90 day report in the last few days, on this thread.

A friend of mine, who does not frequent this forum, has no idea about all the hair-rending and queue machines and tickets with numbers 30 away from those being currently seen.......saunters in a few days ago (Monday), ignores the madhouse and the queue machine (which was shut down when he arrived 3 PMish).

He just walked up to the window, acted dumb, and handed the officers his documents.

In and out in 10 minutes, he claims.

CM Imm has figured out that they can slow down the throughput, by having all believe they need to queue.

So all these dutiful, civilized decent sorts sit there patiently, with their book and ticket.

Meanwhile, Mr. Oblivious wanders in, could care less about this queue thing- and is served in minutes.

Now I am beginning to understand the posts by members who say they have no problem, in and out in minutes, etc.

They have not been inculcated with British queue culture.

Damned colonials......laugh.png

At 3:00 there is a good chance there was no more line and they were just taking them as they come. Tell him to try that with his yearly renewal.

There has been several times when I was in and out in 10 minutes because there was no line up. There have been times when I had to wait once 1 and 1/2 hours.

• Like 1

Several posters have claimed in the past that one did not have to get a ticket for the 90 day queue - just walk in and go up to the window. I tried it twice and both times they told me to go get a ticket from the machine before they could help me.

• Like 2

I just got my latest ED extension a week ago, (had appointment I'd book 90 days ago online) I asked the lady who processed my extension where I take my 90 report info since it had to be done at the same time and I had "heard" there was a new system in place, she pointed at the counter section behind me. That would be the counter on the far right where two men were sitting happily chatting with each other. Once I got my passport back with my brand new shiny extension of stay stamp, I went back to the copy shop and got a copy of the stamped page. I already had the other paperwork ready for the 90 report. I walked back into the waiting room, up to the counter where the two men were sitting, handed the paperwork to one of the guys, he circled and stamped a few things, tore one sheet of paper in half, stapled it inside my passport, nodded and went back to chatting with his buddy. Total time in office for the 90 report segment of my day - under 30 seconds. BTW - this part was 11:45 am. Total time in office for my ED extension and 90 day report 1 hour 15 minutes. Your mileage may vary.

The last time my 90 day report was due, I got up (when I awoke - no alarm), had coffee and a very nice prepared breakfast. Listened to the news, chatted with the missus before she left for work, played with the dog. Opened my computer and noticed on my diary that my 90 day report was due and then lay on the couch for an hour before going out to the gym. It really is quite nice to see that the 90 day is due, but it can be completely ignored.

• Like 2

Several posters have claimed in the past that one did not have to get a ticket for the 90 day queue - just walk in and go up to the window. I tried it twice and both times they told me to go get a ticket from the machine before they could help me.

Were you growling at them or some thing. If there is no liine up and no more numbers to be called they will take you. Are you saying there was no one else there for the 90 day and they still insisted you get a number even though like downtownAl experience they were just sitting there chatting?

I never "growl" at immigration officers. I am trying to make things as easy as possible. I am not talking about when you are the only person in the office. I am addressing the claim that some posters have made that you can just ignore getting a ticket and walk up to the window and get served immediately.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Were you growling at them or some thing. If there is no liine up and no more numbers to be called they will take you. Are you saying there was no one else there for the 90 day and they still insisted you get a number even though like downtownAl experience they were just sitting there chatting?

UG is not the sort of person who would be rude to anyone, let alone growl at immigration officials.

Downtown Al's experience simply reflects what I've always said; they work at their own pace regardless of how many people are there. They don't care if you get served today, tomorrow or next week.......the onus is on the person requiring the service.

Edited by uptheos

UG is not the sort of person who would be rude to anyone, let alone growl at immigration officials. 1zgarz5.gif

Downtown Al's experience simply reflects what I've always said; they work at their own pace regardless of how many people are there. They don't care if you get served today, tomorrow or next week.......the onus is on the person requiring the service.

I realize that but I was trying to point out that many people do just walk up to the counter and get served. just because they do not say there was no one else in line does not mean they cut in front of other people.

Ulysses G made it sound like there was no line or numbers ahead of him.

I meant to comment on mcgriffith's post that you were responding to about someone who just walks into immigration and ignores others waiting in line.

Some posters in the past have erroneously suggested that the rules had been changed and there was no need to get a ticket anymore for a 90 day report. I tried it and was told to get a ticket.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I just got my latest ED extension a week ago, (had appointment I'd book 90 days ago online) I asked the lady who processed my extension where I take my 90 report info since it had to be done at the same time and I had "heard" there was a new system in place, she pointed at the counter section behind me. That would be the counter on the far right where two men were sitting happily chatting with each other.

My experience as noted in my previous post was that these two gentlemen are no longer smiling and "happily chatting with one another." They both had long faces, were very irritable, and snapped at me, speaking only in Thai which was not a problem for me as I can converse with them but seemed unusual. They are obviously stressed out and over-loaded with work. So many people who I saw while in there last week (and in previous visits), are not prepared -- no photocopies, no 90-day form, don't speak a word of Thai, speak to the Immigration Officers in a somewhat short, rude manner, ask them to repeat themselves, etc., etc. Considering the chaos in there these days, I really don't blame the Immigration Officers. I would have snapped long ago (as I suppose the lady who processed the mail-in reports must have done). These people in C.M. are only doing their jobs. They don't make the rules. It's the government officials in BKK who are to blame.

Something different for a change....I've made my online booking almost a year ago,so it was quite painless...showed up 5 min late for my 11am appointment (parking in The Plaza=long walksmile.png),went strait to the desk somewhat afraid,that they called me already,but no....so went in 3 min later...and out 20 min after that.Incredible!!! ...that's the first time like that in years...but here is the clue,there was a different(!) lady to handle my case this time,very nice!....the other 'lady' was doing her business at the next desk and a farang was sitting there before I came and still sitting after I got my receipt already........BTW,my wife was chatting with our interviewer and she mention that they will be moving to a new location within a year,somewhere near the City Hall,but not the building by the Canal Rd/700 Years Stadium....so,hopefully things will improve tongue.png

Interesting,any other info from anyone?

I meant to comment on mcgriffith's post that you were responding to about someone who just walks into immigration and ignores others waiting in line.

Some posters in the past have erroneously suggested that the rules had been changed and there was no need to get a ticket anymore for a 90 day report. I tried it and was told to get a ticket.

My last visit for 90 day repoorting, around 2pm, the machine was turned off and no one in attendance close by,Went to the counter, the usual guy,there were 2 on duty, said "get a ticket" but when I pointed out to him,politely,that the machine was not functioning he just put out his hand for my paperwork.I didn't queue jump just happened to arrive when no one was reporting. I think the golden rule in Thailand is be prepared for any situation,no situation is consistent.

Forgive me for intruding in the CM forum. I follow your forum closely and your CM immigration comments are interesting. Here in Phuket there is no booking system, No ticketing system (a machine was installed years ago but I have never seen it in operation). We have a free for all queuing system. Front desk deals with 90 day reporting, CoR, and 7 day extensions. Back desk deals with annual extensions. Forget any queuing etiquette, jump in first seat comes available in front of officer. Survival of the fittest. 90 day report takes me at most 10 minutes, year extension expect 30 - 45 minute wait, then another 45 minutes while officer processes checks paperwork. Hands to the captain and then another 45 minute wait.

I just got my latest ED extension a week ago, (had appointment I'd book 90 days ago online) I asked the lady who processed my extension where I take my 90 report info since it had to be done at the same time and I had "heard" there was a new system in place, she pointed at the counter section behind me. That would be the counter on the far right where two men were sitting happily chatting with each other.

My experience as noted in my previous post was that these two gentlemen are no longer smiling and "happily chatting with one another." They both had long faces, were very irritable, and snapped at me, speaking only in Thai which was not a problem for me as I can converse with them but seemed unusual. They are obviously stressed out and over-loaded with work. So many people who I saw while in there last week (and in previous visits), are not prepared -- no photocopies, no 90-day form, don't speak a word of Thai, speak to the Immigration Officers in a somewhat short, rude manner, ask them to repeat themselves, etc., etc. Considering the chaos in there these days, I really don't blame the Immigration Officers. I would have snapped long ago (as I suppose the lady who processed the mail-in reports must have done). These people in C.M. are only doing their jobs. They don't make the rules. It's the government officials in BKK who are to blame.

Excellent points. I often wonder how some of these bashers would have worked out on their job had the pressure been so constant on them.

The job they are given to do and the amount of people needing service is in no way an easy job.

In my opinion they do a very good job.

Forgive me for intruding in the CM forum. I follow your forum closely and your CM immigration comments are interesting. Here in Phuket there is no booking system, No ticketing system (a machine was installed years ago but I have never seen it in operation). We have a free for all queuing system. Front desk deals with 90 day reporting, CoR, and 7 day extensions. Back desk deals with annual extensions. Forget any queuing etiquette, jump in first seat comes available in front of officer. Survival of the fittest. 90 day report takes me at most 10 minutes, year extension expect 30 - 45 minute wait, then another 45 minutes while officer processes checks paperwork. Hands to the captain and then another 45 minute wait.

There's no comparison between CM and Phuket Immigration offices and mostly that's a function of the volume of customers. LIK: if you can imagine the volume of customers in the Phuket office times fifty then you'll start to get an idea of what it's like.

• Like 2

hi all, I have prepared my application for a 30 day extension next Friday 18th. My question:what is best to put as the reason for extension? Just tourism or should I put learning Thai language-which I have begun to do at the YMCA?

thanks

also: optimal arrival time suggestion would be appreciated.

Sounds like Chiang Mai 10 years ago. Oh to be able to go back in time ...

Edited by mesquite

hi all, I have prepared my application for a 30 day extension next Friday 18th. My question:what is best to put as the reason for extension? Just tourism or should I put learning Thai language-which I have begun to do at the YMCA?

thanks

also: optimal arrival time suggestion would be appreciated.

30 day extension to what type of original entry?

If I were you & if you entered on a tourist visa just say tourism

Otherwise they will want to know why your not on a ED Visa

Edited by mania

+1

Phuket Immigration does have a online booking system for one year visa extensions, see the following booking link.

http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/homepage/q.php

This system is just introduced but i don't think it saves a lot of time.

When you make a reservation you go at the correct time to the Captains desk ( with Q sign ) and she will send you to one of the officers.

The number ticket system does indeed not work but because it is not available but because the officers don't like to use it.

When they tried to use it not every officer was adhering to it and therefore the whole system did not work any more.

But the new Col. is trying to introduce a new queuing system in the near future so we will see if things will improve.