For The Birds !

samuijimmy

^ I asked the Thai's I was with if they eat them, answer was no!

I remember being served once, I think over cooked, I about gagged trying to eat it! bah.gif

Although you don't see them that much (here at least....) I supposed someone introduced them to the temple and that is where they stay...wink.png

How about Swallows then ? (I think they are swallows.... down Songkhla way)

A winter visitor Jimmy.

Thousands of them hawking for insects over the river in the early morning with flocks of Drongos joining in.

A great sight.

Imagine the eyesight and co-ordination needed to catch an insect on the wing, must be like trying to catch a fly with a pair of tweezers.

When they have had their fill they line up shoulder to shoulder on the high tension power line over the river.

Now there's one for the mathamaticians , what weight of Swallows does it take to break a power cable?

^ yes that would have been January...my first trip to the area.... a great time to see the migratory birds in the Thali Noi Lake area!

This was in April, not so many birds then.... (not a great shot... just to add a pic!)

IMG_9029.JPG

Did you take a boat trip? I have been there in summer and it was still heaving with birds.

Edited by hanno

^ yes that would have been January...my first trip to the area.... a great time to see the migratory birds in the Thali Noi Lake area!

This was in April, not so many birds then.... (not a great shot... just to add a pic!)

Did you take a boat trip? I have been there in summer and it was still heaving with birds.

Oh yes, every time I go done there, at least twice a year for several years now, ... the boat trip is always the highlight of my trip....my Thai friends down there, don't "get it" but they always come along too... a change from the rice farming thumbsup.gif

We usually go along the canal networks from Ban Khaw, that most people would not see .... Yes always birds there but more in winter months! thumbsup.gif April is usually the best months to see lilies blooming, but this year is was a huge disappointment...never got the reason why so few blooming this year....sad.png

My favorite place to go when I get Island fever! .... and only about 5 or so hours on my bike from Samui! Easy drive.... thumbsup.gif

This first pic is a place hardly any Farang would get to see!

IMG_9208.JPG

Scenery changes quite a bit ...

IMG_9231.JPG

IMG_9165.JPG

better get another pic with birds in here tongue.png

IMG_8721.JPG

This should be a good view point when finished... at Thali Noi village .... Conservatory area where people can stay... Price is up to you! wink.png

IMG_8835.JPG

• Like 2

^ great shots, Robby and Fiddlesticks! outta likes again! wink.png

I suppose the only good thing to be said about pigeons, that they were often used to carry messages "below the radar" during the second world war (perhaps other wars too?) I am not sure if all pigeons are "homing pigeons" or can be trained to be..... but that alone makes at least some good to them being more than flying rats!

Poster at Thali Noi Conservation area... hope it can still be read once posted!

IMG_8963.JPG

IMG_8986.JPG

I suppose the only good thing to be said about pigeons, that they were often used to carry messages "below the radar" during the second world war

And Peregrines love them!!! The pigeons, not the messages.....

Thanks Fiddlesticks.... should've seen it before the PP ...bah.gif

hanno....i had been stalking this 'pecker for ages, drumming heard a mile away.....closed in, crept closer & closer....sh*t, he spotted me.....on to the next tree.....i'm on my knees by now crawling through snakeville, but who cares when there's a possible good shot on right!? Lucky break....bang! All done, & only possible with what i went through to get it, with a nimble Canon SX50. smile.png

Edited by Goshawk

hanno....i had been stalking this 'pecker for ages, drumming heard a mile away.....closed in, crept closer & closer....sh*t, he spotted me.....on to the next tree.....i'm on my knees by now crawling through snakeville, but who cares when there's a possible good shot on right!? Lucky break....bang! All done, & only possible with what i went through to get it, with a nimble Canon SX50. smile.png

Oh, my ex uses the same camera and gets pretty good shots. Maybe time to ditch my DSLR.....

Your patience sure pays off! I've been trying to get a photograph of the dozens of quail we have on the property. They only have three modes: Skittering away, hunkered down unseen, and flying away. Yesterday I saw where they skittered off to and were hiding and was moving in. I got within two meters but still could not see them in the weeds. They weren't up for any photography so they went to mode three! This is the best I could do!

post-498-0-81435500-1383626403_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Your patience sure pays off! I've been trying to get a photograph of the dozens of quail we have on the property. They only have three modes: Skittering away, hunkered down unseen, and flying away. Yesterday I saw where they skittered off to and were hiding and was moving in. I got within two meters but still could not see them in the weeds. They weren't up for any photography so they went to mode three! This is the best I could do!

Set camera to TV (on a Canon); your shutter speed was way too slow. But yes, Quail are bastards to see and take photos of.

Having said that, Partridges are not easy either; the photo is one of only a handful ever taken (and yes, I am proud of that:-))) Orange-necked Partridge:

Orange-neckedPartridge_zps173a256f.jpg

The Buttonquali was easy in comparison (Barred Buttonquail):

BarredButtonquail_zps3ae0e5ce.jpg

• Like 1

yep... quails, rails, partridges, crakes.... arrrgh!

very shy birds...using a hide or blind, then sitting & waiting (could be for hours) is the best bet for these. There's only really a few places (well known trails) i know where this group of birds can approached closely without spooking them, probably 'cos the amount of birders passing through they've become so used to it & fearless.

LOL! at least it is in the frame.

You'd need to bait the area they frequent. Sit nearby concealed and you'd get some great pics.

Good luck.

That's a great idea. What type of seed should I get?

Not sure what they normally feed on but I find many birds happily pick up boiled rice and even raw grains.

Just scatter whatever leftovers and wait....patiently. I find early morning the best but late afternoon can be productive too.

If the area is bone dry, a shallow plate of at least half meter diameter with water attracts all sorts.

Sometimes you get unexpected visitors which make it all worthwhile.

Drongos seemed to take on a real shine a short while back.

I presumed it was when they had molted out of breeding plumage and got a new set of clothes, if they do that?.

post-12069-0-20494500-1383710166_thumb.j

Pair of Greater Racket-tailed drongos.

post-12069-0-59934600-1383710377_thumb.j

Spangled or Hair-crested Drongo, depending which book you read.

They look to have lost that shine now.

• Like 1