For The Birds !

samuijimmy

• 1 month later...

Cool shot thetefldon!

Strange! I was at Suan Rot Fai a week ago and there wasn't a single heron nor egret around. Walked the entire grounds including Queen Sirikit park only to see a few common birds. Best was a nesting Coppersmith Barbet poking its head out from a hole in a dead tree trunk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question ;

Don't know if anyone can answer this.

There were 2 adult spot-billed pelicans at Bang Phra Reservoir, Chonburi yesterday. This is the first time I have seen this bird there or anywhere in Thailand for that matter. I know they have had for years and continue to have a breeding programme for wetland birds there and that is why you commonly see lesser adjutants and less commonly oriental darters there. Does anybody know if the pelicans are bred there or flew in from China (?). The birds were quite free soaring over the reservoir and sitting in a dead tree for an hour.

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Question ;

Don't know if anyone can answer this.

There were 2 adult spot-billed pelicans at Bang Phra Reservoir, Chonburi yesterday. This is the first time I have seen this bird there or anywhere in Thailand for that matter. I know they have had for years and continue to have a breeding programme for wetland birds there and that is why you commonly see lesser adjutants and less commonly oriental darters there. Does anybody know if the pelicans are bred there or flew in from China (?). The birds were quite free soaring over the reservoir and sitting in a dead tree for an hour.

Not sure i have definitive answers to your question, but I go to Bang Phra every month or two and have often seen SB Pelican there. The problem with Bang Phra - as you point out -  is that it's hard to tell what has either come from the breeding center, possibly escaped from the nearby zoo, etc. and so on, or just arrived naturally. I have also seen Lesser Adjutant there and Darter and Black-headed Ibis. With the Pelicans and the Darters I think it's possible they arrived from elsewhere. I have had Darter in Bangsaen, Chonburi and Pelican flyovers. I also had both on a reservoir I lived on in Surin, way up in Isaan. The Dratres are apparently making a comeback largely due to good protection in the Tone La Sap in Cambodia. The Pelicans I am not so sure. But i am pretty sure I saw a flyover from my car on the way back from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok last week. 

On another note, I recently tried to enter the breeding center. They used to let you walk around. Not anymore. My wife and I were told to leave immediately and I was told to put my camera away. 

• Like 1

Yes, thanks for the reply.

So, perhaps, the pelicans flew in from somewhere.

The breeding centre used to be open and anyone could wander around. That is no longer the case. Perhaps I will ask the rangers next time I am there why the change. I notice it has considerably expanded also.

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, thanks for the reply.

So, perhaps, the pelicans flew in from somewhere.

The breeding centre used to be open and anyone could wander around. That is no longer the case. Perhaps I will ask the rangers next time I am there why the change. I notice it has considerably expanded also.

I suspect there are things going on in there that shouldn't be. But that's just conjecture. Here are  couple pics of my SB Pelican from Surin in 2010. I spent over two years closely observing the area and it was the only Pelican sighting in that time. 

Oops. Pics won't upload. Having this problem a lot lately with this old laptop. Try later from another machine. 

Edited by AjarnNorth
Pics won't upload