Kuala Lumpur Visa Report.

Being Married (truly) to a THai I found 2 options for me.

!.) Extendtion based on Marraige

or

2.) Non Om visa.

The extendtion route you can maybe stay in Thailand, First you need to start with a Non O visa. Have 400,000 in the bank for over 2 months, have a home inspection, neighbor interviews, etc. So if you start with a Non o you don't have to leave but have Immigration all over you life and several visit to Immigration.

On the other hand, the Non Om I only need 100,000 in any bank anywhere and only needs to be there a day prior. No interview, no home inspections, easy. Yes I have to leave, but enjoy the time traveling and exploring near by countries. Can be for an hour or several days, just doesn't matter.

Most trying to get a extendtion based on Marriage are strongly advised to go the retirement route. I want to work so that is not an option.

Traveling clears my head and shows me what is good and what is not in Thailand.

It also helps my wife better understand the world around her. Something most Thai's just don't understand

Hi just curious,why you had to show 100000bt?I thought you must show 400000 income or pension per yr,did anything changed?

The OP was talking about a Non-O multiple entry visa applied for outside Thailand.

Evidence of having 100,000 baht is what is required for a Non-O VISA to be issued OUTSIDE Thailand, ie like the OP did in KL.

Evidence of having 400,000 baht SEASONED + proof of income is what is needed for an EXTENSION (of a VISA) applied for INSIDE Thailand as a person married to a Thai national.

Evidence of having 800,000 baht SEASONED + proof of income is what is needed for an EXTENSION (of a VISA) applied for INSIDE Thailand as a retiree.

And to recap; if on an multi-entry VISA, the holder should normally leave and re-enter the country every 90 days. OK for workers and wanderers and the OP. If on an EXTENSION (of a VISA) and not traveling outside Thailand, the holder needs to report every 90 days to local immigration, either personally or via mail. HOWEVER, if the holder of an EXTENSION (of a VISA) applies for a multiple RE-ENTRY permit, he can leave and re-enter Thailand as many times as he likes and only need to report personally to local immigration before any single stay in Thailand EXCEEDS 90 days.

Back On Topic! The OP mentions that apart from seeing new places, traveling outside Thailand keeps his view on what is good and bad in LOS in perspective as well as letting his good wife broaden her horizons. I consider this WONDERFUL and reckon that a fair few of the bitter and twisted, cynical and misogynistic posters on this forum may consider this a cure for what ails them... if they can afford the ticket.

To the ones that say that forking out $500-$1000 on a visa trip locally every year is excessive, there are cheaper alternatives such as Vientiane and Savannakhet. For those that claim flying further afield is expensive, you know the date your visa is 'due' so there's absolutely nothing stopping you booking the flights on a low-cost carrier up to 12 months in advance and saving a whole lot of money. Personally, the absolutely hassle-free ease of getting a multi-entry Non-O visa in my home country (the UK) is well worth return air-fare once a year and the wife is getting used to the snow as well!

Thanks for information,I'm on extension of stay for a few yrs,before that I always got a NON OM visa in KL without showing any bankbooks,they just wanted to see a pension slip certified by german embassy I have sure 400000bt pension per yr,it's first time I hear have to show 100000bt in bank

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100,000 Baht in the bank has been a requirement in KL for ages when applying for a Non Imm O Visa based on having a Thai Wife.

You do not have a Thai Wife so would not have been asked for this.

ohh ok,great information,thanks a lot,as u read in my post I have prolems with my extension,then I'm thinking about to get a Non OM maybe in KL or wherever it is possible to obtain it,thanks again for clarification

Evidence of having 400,000 baht SEASONED + proof of income is what is needed for an EXTENSION (of a VISA) applied for INSIDE Thailand as a person married to a Thai national.

Evidence of having 800,000 baht SEASONED + proof of income is what is needed for an EXTENSION (of a VISA) applied for INSIDE Thailand as a retiree.

Actually it is 400k/800k or proof of income if using the income method instead of seasoned funds.

You do not need both

Edited by mania

Actually it is 400k/800k or proof of income if using the income method instead of seasoned funds.

You do not need both

Oops... I stand corrected. At this time last year I had evidence of seasoned money in the local bank AND a letter from the British Embassy testifying to my income as I reckoned that was what the Udon Thani Immigration people wanted to see when I extended my Non-O (first time) with wife in hand. They certainly didn't pass back any of the paperwork as unwanted. But looking at the translation of the Police Order that is elsewhere on this site, is does indeed state,

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

Makes my decision about filing for a new extension (on the old visa) versus getting a completely new visa in KL or Savannakhet a bit easier.

Edited by NanLaew

As a few last notes now I am back in Thailand

KL does not have nearly as many ATM's as Thailand, They are harder to find. Maybe 3 or 4 at the malls

KL does not have nearly as many 7 - 11 as Thailand when you want your snacks and things.

Though I like many things about Malaysia. I could not live there. But will be back in 15 months to get my next one

Chok Dee !

Glad you had a good trip to Kuala Lumpur.

I'm surprised more married guys dont go down this route as,from what I can gather,extending a Non-Immigrant O on the basis of marriage at Thai Immigration can be a real pain. (40k monthly income or 400k in the bank)

Guys complain about the hoops they have to jump through for this (pictures of your house,thai guarantor that you live at your adress,extra paperwork etc) and sometimes have to make several visits before everything is deemed in order.

Even then the visa is not issued immediately and is sent to Bangkok for approval.You may have to wait another month for the visa to be issued.

If you have got the dosh then extension on the basis of retirement is the way to go (65k monthly or 800k in the bank...can be combined).

This visa can be issued straight away by your local Immigration Office and takes no longer than 20 minutes to process.

Thats what I do,at the moment,but if requirements or my finances changed I'd certainly consider a trip to KL.....nice little break and hassle free visa application experience that can count for a lot.

Incidentally,Savannakhet in Laos also does multi entry Non Immigrant O visas on the basis of marriage and no need to show income of 100k,at present.....cross over the bridge at Mukdahan into Laos.

It may take a little extra time and more documents to get an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage to a Thai lady but not enough to justify having to make border runs every 90 days. And then a trip out of the country to get new visa when the old one expires.

I'm surprised more married guys dont go down this route as,from what I can gather,extending a Non-Immigrant O on the basis of marriage at Thai Immigration can be a real pain. (40k monthly income or 400k in the bank)

I can tell you why I don't go this route...

It is because I dont want to Have to leave every 90 days

Not to say my wife & I don't travel but we travel when we Want too not when we Have too

Secondly the marriage Visa was no real hassle at all.

Online booked...went & spent maybe 1.5 hour there (CM )

Later they asked for a friend to go say we lived where we said.

We sent a worker from our condo...no prob.

As for 90 day reports I pay a visa service 1000 per year they do it all for me &

email me the slip.

That comes out to like 2.7 baht a day.

If someday I think going to get a 1 year is too much hassle the visa service does that too.

5000 baht & you do not need to go.

Again I am not saying travel isn't nice & yes we Do travel. But when WE want not when we are told to.

I can tell you why I don't go this route...

It is because I dont want to Have to leave every 90 days

Not to say my wife & I don't travel but we travel when we Want too not when we Have too

Secondly the marriage Visa was no real hassle at all.

Online booked...went & spent maybe 1.5 hour there (CM )

Later they asked for a friend to go say we lived where we said.

We sent a worker from our condo...no prob.

As for 90 day reports I pay a visa service 1000 per year they do it all for me &

email me the slip.

That comes out to like 2.7 baht a day.

If someday I think going to get a 1 year is too much hassle the visa service does that too.

5000 baht & you do not need to go.

Again I am not saying travel isn't nice & yes we Do travel. But when WE want not when we are told to.

90 day reporting is free of charge and everybody can do this for you, You don't have to do this in person.

So if you know somebody who is going to the immigration office he can do it for you while he is their for his own paperwork.

I do many 90 reports for other people.

90 day reporting is free of charge and everybody can do this for you,

You don't have to do this in person.So if you know somebody who is going to the immigration office he can do it for you while he is their for his own paperwork.

Yes I was aware of that being possible & that it is free if you dont count time & energy.

But I can't say I know anyone "going" to Immigration on the days I need them too.

Nor would I really feel comfortable burdening someone to do so on my behalf.

At the end of the day it is 30 bucks a year & I need not think about it.

I know it is handled professionally & I liked the service from day one when I went in & they

made enough copies to last a year & had me pre-sign them. All done 5-10 minutes tops total for the year

spent on this task.

At the first due date I was promptly emailed my completed slip to be printed & slipped into my passport.

I cannot complain & seems like a win-win.

It is not that I am so busy or anything. I just don't really care for the process or the crowds.

90 day reporting is free of charge and everybody can do this for you,

You don't have to do this in person.So if you know somebody who is going to the immigration office he can do it for you while he is their for his own paperwork.

Yes I was aware of that being possible & that it is free if you dont count time & energy.

But I can't say I know anyone "going" to Immigration on the days I need them too.

Nor would I really feel comfortable burdening someone to do so on my behalf.

At the end of the day it is 30 bucks a year & I need not think about it.

I know it is handled professionally & I liked the service from day one when I went in & they

made enough copies to last a year & had me pre-sign them. All done 5-10 minutes tops total for the year

spent on this task.

At the first due date I was promptly emailed my completed slip to be printed & slipped into my passport.

I cannot complain & seems like a win-win.

It is not that I am so busy or anything. I just don't really care for the process or the crowds.

Fair point. smile.png

Fair point. smile.png

FWIW I went to CM immigration today - there's something going on with asian immigrants - burmese maybe, not sure. There's hundreds of them, spilling out into the streets.

Half an hour to get through to the info counter where one can pick up the queue number. At first I was annoyed one has to stand in line to get a queue number, but I learned my lesson when I got to the counter - I couldn't go for the extension as it's too early, so this info counter saved me sitting around there for a few hours waiting for the queue. CM immigration is overworked but they are professional and efficient, under the circumstances. Circumstanced being, they need about 2x the number of staff and office space.

Is it worth 1000 baht to not have to go there? Absolutely. It's a bargain, actually.

• Like 2