Pattayans Hungry Breed ?

yermanee

I've noticed that here on the Pattaya forum there a lot of topics regarding food and I wonder why.

Is it because we have Jingthing, or because the Pattaya farangs are more fascinated by good food and less on other things that Pattaya has to offer than what TV members from other parts of the country would have us believe?

Maybe it's a combination of both, and the fact that Pattaya has a lot to offer on the culinary front.

Also maybe that we foreigners living in and around Pattaya have probably a higher percentage of the older generations and thus more appreciative of good food and drink.

What do you guy's think?

Yermanee wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

For a city the size of Pattaya the food leaves much to be desired bah.gif . Plenty of choice but low quality in a high percentage of eateries.

High on beer bars, soapies, tuggies, gogo(ies) etc; but low on fine cuisine. So for me ... there's nothing much to talk about, goodfoodwise (except the lack of it).

DIG(ie) wai.gif

This confirms to me that farangs come to Pattaya mainly for the food. What else could it be?

Cheers.

I know you are joking.

However, of course Pattaya is not specifically a food destination. That said:

Bangkokians looking for Thai seafood favor Hua Hin over Pattaya.

Savvy Bangkok expats know Pattaya is a good place to go for reasonably priced European food (compared to Bangkok).

Pattaya has some stellar ethnic surprises mostly known only by their predictable ethnic groups. For example: Korean food.

Expats living in Pattaya didn't move here for the food, but they've got to eat, and there is definitely a good market for decent and interesting food here, and if you know where to look (not always easy) the market is met. Not for anywhere near all kinds of food types, but still, plenty of choice.

I think we are going to be waiting a very long time before we have an Ethiopian restaurant here, but on the other hand I'm sure we have more Iranian restaurants than any place in Thailand (or probably the entire region).

Edited by Jingthing

This confirms to me that farangs come to Pattaya mainly for the food. What else could it be?

Cheers.

I know you are joking.

However, of course Pattaya is not specifically a food destination. That said:

Bangkokians looking for Thai seafood favor Hua Hin over Pattaya.

Savvy Bangkok expats know Pattaya is a good place to go for reasonably priced European food (compared to Bangkok).

Pattaya has some stellar ethnic surprises mostly known only by their predictable ethnic groups. For example: Korean food.

Expats living in Pattaya didn't move here for the food, but they've got to eat, and there is definitely a good market for decent and interesting food here, and if you know where to look (not always easy) the market is met. Not for anywhere near all kinds of food types, but still, plenty of choice.

I think we are going to be waiting a very long time before we have an Ethiopian restaurant here, but on the other hand I'm sure we have more Iranian restaurants than any place in Thailand (or probably the entire region).

So this is one of the smart reasons for having an expat community forum.

Now Jingthing has whet my appetite for Iranian food. I spent some time in Iran way back when. Lived with an Iranian woman in London for a number of years before realizing she was actually as crazy as THE Ayatollah. The Iranian community in London was a good place to be for excellent food. But I've not had Iranian food in Pattaya. And I'd like to revisit an authentic menu. So ... anyone who has a serious recommendation for a good Iranian restaurant, do tell. What has annoyed me so many times, when trying new eateries in Pattaya, is the disappointment of going home feeling we could have cooked much better food ourselves for less than half the price.

While we're squeezing the recommendations lemon, how about a good Indian restaurant? I have always had a passion for different cuisines. And I've eaten excellent and often inexpensive meals in the countries which spawned the recipes. Many western restauranteurs became greedy, serving nice food in small quantities, but with gigantic price tags attached. It became a fad. Just another way of brandishing one's success. It was and is totally unnecessary. For example, some of the best regional Indian food I have ever eaten has been in Bradford, UK. The restaurants are small, local, some actually served in the sitting rooms of terraced houses, slightly rearranged to accommodate customers for maybe just 3 days each week. But many of these places are Indian food heaven. And the prices a mere fraction of the more pretentious establishments.

I agree with Jingthing. We should support those eateries that provide good food at a reasonable cost. And I'm always glad to see recommendations in this forum.

Indian, Iranian ... and any others that might be worth a weeked visit ... please!

wai.gif

DIG

Expats living in Pattaya didn't move here for the food,......

Decent, tasty, cheap and varied food was definitely one of the major reasons that I retired here. In fact I put up with a lot of things that I dont like (Russians, estate agents, tattooed hooligans, bars, mass family tourism, high humidity, jetskis, noise, traffic etc etc) mostly because of the decent food here. If the food wasnt decent I would be gone like a shot.

Expats living in Pattaya didn't move here for the food,......

Decent, tasty, cheap and varied food was definitely one of the major reasons that I retired here. In fact I put up with a lot of things that I dont like (Russians, estate agents, tattooed hooligans, bars, mass family tourism, high humidity, jetskis, noise, traffic etc etc) mostly because of the decent food here. If the food wasnt decent I would be gone like a shot.

Understood. But I think as a PRIMARY reason, food only would be unusual. It's part of the package. There are some decent options here.

Indian, Iranian ... and any others that might be worth a weeked visit ... please!

wai.gif

DIG

Well I don't think the OP wanted this thread to be yet ANOTHER food tip thread.

But I will say this current thread is a good place to start:

For Indian, there have been a number of dedicated threads on various Indian restaurants. Suggest using the forum search tool for the Pattaya forum for 'Indian food'.