Going "all In" In Thailand........

theblether

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved to Thailand in 2002 at the age of 43, following a successful career in the mobile and satellite communications industries. I chose Thailand not because of the women or beaches, but because a lung illness meant that a hot climate would be beneficial for my health - which it certainly was.

I didn't jump straight in. I used to commute to Bangkok every week (!), staying for a few days to check out business opportunities, and then returning to cold and rainy England.

In late 2002 I relocated 'permanently' to Thailand and set about building a telecoms software business in Bangkok. Although this was reasonably successful, truth be told I was rather bored with that industry. A chance trip to Phuket for a holiday resulted in me leasing a plot of land and constructing a small hotel. Over the next 10 years I went on to build 2 more small hotels and lease 2 others. (In the early days of living in Thailand I also acquired 2 bars on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok and 1 coffee shop at The Emporium...).

I had already learnt from doing business in the UK that unless you are prepared to take risks, it's unlikely that you will be able to build a successful business. Some of those risks will go pear-shaped. That was the case with my Thai businesses:

Bar 1 = profitable but very hard work

Bar 2 = break-even

Coffee-shop = not profitable

Hotel 1 = very profitable

Hotel 2 = profitable

Hotel 3 = profitable

Lease hotel = small profit

Lease hotel 2 = small profit

Now in 2013 I still have 2 of these hotels - the other businesses having been sold or closed down. I'm working and living in Yangon and ready to start 2 new business ventures within the next few months.

I have no assets or connections to the UK and I do not regret emigrating to Thailand. If I hadn't come to Thailand, then I surely would have moved to another country, and no doubt I would have started all manner of businesses - some that would fail and some that would have been successful.

I've done these business ventures using minimal finance. Sometimes this has left me with not enough money to buy my daily food! My view is that you only have one life to lead, so you might as well do a lot in your short time on this earth.

My only regret is that I am such a poor judge of women - of any nationality, specifically as wives, (using the plural here indicates how bad a judge of women I really am). I've found that many women make great business partners, and have helped me with my/our businesses. But as a good wife - I've not found one yet and I've stopped looking smile.png

I regard Thailand as my home, but because I work in different countries in the region, It is difficult - impossible - to apply for Thai citizenship because I no longer pay Thai tax.

Simon

Great post Simon. Have also enjoyed some of your tales posted elsewhere thumbsup.gif

I moved to Thailand in 2002 at the age of 43, following a successful career in the mobile and satellite communications industries. I chose Thailand not because of the women or beaches, but because a lung illness meant that a hot climate would be beneficial for my health - which it certainly was.

I didn't jump straight in. I used to commute to Bangkok every week (!), staying for a few days to check out business opportunities, and then returning to cold and rainy England.

In late 2002 I relocated 'permanently' to Thailand and set about building a telecoms software business in Bangkok. Although this was reasonably successful, truth be told I was rather bored with that industry. A chance trip to Phuket for a holiday resulted in me leasing a plot of land and constructing a small hotel. Over the next 10 years I went on to build 2 more small hotels and lease 2 others. (In the early days of living in Thailand I also acquired 2 bars on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok and 1 coffee shop at The Emporium...).

I had already learnt from doing business in the UK that unless you are prepared to take risks, it's unlikely that you will be able to build a successful business. Some of those risks will go pear-shaped. That was the case with my Thai businesses:

Bar 1 = profitable but very hard work

Bar 2 = break-even

Coffee-shop = not profitable

Hotel 1 = very profitable

Hotel 2 = profitable

Hotel 3 = profitable

Lease hotel = small profit

Lease hotel 2 = small profit

Now in 2013 I still have 2 of these hotels - the other businesses having been sold or closed down. I'm working and living in Yangon and ready to start 2 new business ventures within the next few months.

I have no assets or connections to the UK and I do not regret emigrating to Thailand. If I hadn't come to Thailand, then I surely would have moved to another country, and no doubt I would have started all manner of businesses - some that would fail and some that would have been successful.

I've done these business ventures using minimal finance. Sometimes this has left me with not enough money to buy my daily food! My view is that you only have one life to lead, so you might as well do a lot in your short time on this earth.

My only regret is that I am such a poor judge of women - of any nationality, specifically as wives, (using the plural here indicates how bad a judge of women I really am). I've found that many women make great business partners, and have helped me with my/our businesses. But as a good wife - I've not found one yet and I've stopped looking smile.png

I regard Thailand as my home, but because I work in different countries in the region, It is difficult - impossible - to apply for Thai citizenship because I no longer pay Thai tax.

Simon

A refreshing change and breath of clean honest air in a cloud of smog filled depression from failed expatia land. clap2.gif

^^ Don't get Simon started on his record with women though.

Oh My Gaaaaaawwwwwdddddd!!!

Then again....it shows you can have calamatious relationships with women in Thailand and still come out ahead of the game.

It is some of his posts regarding women i have enjoyed the most!

Poppycock.....I am not married and have such rights over my kids.

Unless you have legitimized the children with both the mother and child's (age 5+) consent at the Amphur office or in Thai family court, as an unmarried father you have no rights over any children in Thailand.

Thats not what you said in the first post....so my poppycock comment stands re that post.

So if you want to take your children to another country and put them in school there but your girlfriend does not; who gets to decide?

We do the mature thing....flip a coin and then ask the kids what they wanna do.

But, on your basis from what this discussion was about, you would expect the wifey to have the final say and the father cow tails it behind. I presume this is from your own reflections and expectations.

Unless you have legitimized the children with both the mother and child's (age 5+) consent at the Amphur office or in Thai family court, as an unmarried father you have no rights over any children in Thailand.

Thats not what you said in the first post....so my poppycock comment stands re that post.

Don't be silly, and my original comment stands!

Edited by TommoPhysicist

So if you want to take your children to another country and put them in school there but your girlfriend does not; who gets to decide?

But, on your basis from what this discussion was about, you would expect the wifey to have the final say and the father cow tails it behind. I presume this is from your own reflections and expectations.

If you answered my question I missed it. Do you have the legal authority to decide where your children live and where they go to school in Thailand?

Don't be silly, and my original comment stands!

Not in relation to your original comment it does not....my poppycock sees and raises.

If you answered my question I missed it. Do you have the legal authority to decide where your children live and where they go to school in Thailand?

Thats ok, apology accepted, you tend to miss a lot.

I don't ride coat tails kerry.

So do you have the legal authority to decide where your children live and what school they go to? You still have not answered my question.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

So do you have the legal authority to decide where your children live and what school they go to? You still have not answered my question.

You must have missed it.

^^ Who's being naive now? You would need to be a nutter to leave yourself that vulnerable.

I sometimes wonder if any of you guys had any life experience before you went to Thailand. I used the phrase "all in" for a reason, when you start to see Thais as some undefeatable force then you know you have truly jumped ship......then you are "all in", up to your necks in it. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who have found themselves in that position.

Laughable if you allow it. Just use the pub test.....stand in a pub and tell your pals that you took up with a hooker, cashed in all your money, and bought a house in her name. Cash.

What do you think they would say?

Oh, and NOW tell them you did it in a country that gives you no residence rights.

I mean, seriously.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

You must have missed it.

So if you have no legal standing with regards to the location of your children or their education I would have to assume you are not going all in. I can't see a man not doing that. Seems to me that the kids determine if you are all in or not. Just my opinion. If I did right or wrong I did it as my children's legal father.

^^ Who's being naive now? You would need to be a nutter to leave yourself that vulnerable.

I sometimes wonder if any of you guys had any life experience before you went to Thailand. I used the phrase "all in" for a reason, when you start to see Thais as some undefeatable force then you know you have truly jumped ship......then you are "all in", up to your necks in it. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who have found themselves in that position.

Laughable if you allow it. Just use the pub test.....stand in a pub and tell your pals that you took up with a hooker, cashed in all your money, and bought a house in her name. Cash.

Oh, and NOW tell them you did it in a country that gives you no residence rights.

I mean, seriously..

Seriously, and my wife said, "if you ever want to see the kids you'll give me a quitclaim deed to the house today." I don't see much difference between my old country and Thailand.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 2

Seems to me that MrBlether has had a recent shock/discovery of some sort, and changed this tune about how honest and reliable all Thais are. Or is it just me that sees a change in his normally optimistic 'Thailand is wonderful' posting style.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You must have missed it.

So if you have no legal standing with regards to the location of your children or their education I would have to assume you are not going all in. I can't see a man not doing that. Seems to me that the kids determine if you are all in or not. Just my opinion. If I did right or wrong I did it as my children's legal father.

But you laughed at the thought of a man here making decisive decisions for his children and making them happen if he believes it to be the best possible scenario for him....why did you laugh ?

"Hello Blether" .........

55555 good one Tommo.....now tell us about your 4 kids in the UK that you abandoned.

Go ahead.....this will be interesting.

I mean, seriously..

Seriously, and my wife said, "if you ever want to see the kids you'll give me a quitclaim deed to the house today." I don't see much difference between my old country and Thailand.smile.png

My wife said the same to me and I got my three kids.

I wonder how that happened?

55555 good one Tommo.....now tell us about your 4 kids in the UK that you abandoned.

I've always found it best to side with the judge.

The woman gets the house and kids, the man gets his freedom.

Everyone is happy that way.

I'm guessing you wanted the kids more than you wanted your freedom.

Different horses for different courses.

I'm happy to produce them, not bothered about anything after that, call me bad if you like.

(Not that I would leave them alone if she didn't want them, just not interested in fighting like two dogs over a bone)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Seems to me that MrBlether has had a recent shock/discovery of some sort, and changed this tune about how honest and reliable all Thais are. Or is it just me that sees a change in his normally optimistic 'Thailand is wonderful' posting style.

This topic isn't about Thais....it's about pepple going all in. I made it clear in the first paragraph that I would never do it.

By the way, while I was sleeping I was earning money from online sales, managed on my behalf in Thailand. Thailand earns me far more than I ever spend in the place.

I've always found it best to side with the judge.

The woman gets the house and kids, the man gets his freedom.

Everyone is happy that way.

I'm guessing you wanted the kids more than you wanted your freedom.

Different horses for different courses.

I'm happy to produce them, not bothered about anything after that, call me bad if you like.

(Not that I would leave them alone if she didn't want them, just not interested in fighting like two dogs over a bone)

Fair comment Tommo.....it says a lot about you, and it says a lot about me.

"Hello Blether" .........

Not accurate ... but points for comic timing ... laugh.png

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with that Neeranam, for many people the best thing they did in their lives was move to Thailand and I applaud them for having the bottle to have a go. Part of the OP was to ask how you came to that decision.....was it a long term process in your case?