Thai Ministry Cuts 5Cm Rule On Schoolboys' Hair Length

webfact

What is unreasonable is that they do not allow the individual schools to determine what they consider as acceptable. Perhaps the next action will be to tell the military that they can not dictate the hair lenght either. Troopers with ponytails !!

But this is the point!

As the article states the regulation had ALREADY been removed, 9 years ago infact, and was left to the discretion of each individual school director.

The "problem" was two fold.

1. Many directors dont have a clue the rule was removed and continue it regardless of whether they agree with it or not. I have asked MANY directors why they do this and 100% reply "we have no choice, it is the law". The ignorance of these people is beyond belief some times.

2. It creates two tier systems. In my town there are 4 large government schools. Three do not make them cut hair and one does. The one that does is now widely regarded as the "worst" because it is the kids last choice. This means all the bright kids choose one f the other 3 which means the school getting the least capable teachers and the whole thing snowballs.

This letter attempts to cover both factors i.e. enlighten the directors living in the dark ages and level the paying field for all schools/kids. It is ludicrous that kids are beaten (and they are) for breaking a "rule" that does not actually exist. The recent thrashing of 60 girls at one school, ordered by an ignorant new director, has almost certainly prompted this move by the ministry. thje whole incident was captured on video and went viral quickly. Ten teachers involved are facing crimninal charges. Their defence??? The new director offered them money to do it! <deleted>?

There was a "report" by a professor at Thamasat University two years aog which stated the haircut rule was the single biggest factor holding kids back (from developing as individuals). Thats a bit extreme, but it is high time this antiquated regulation was removed properly so good riddance to it.

My kids hair has been taken to in the past by teachers at the local Govt school and I went and complained. I believe it still goes on to this very day. Can't confirm as I have taken the kids out of the school. However I agree with the above about school directors, most of them should be put out to pasture.

Hi Squigy

Yes I am sorry if I wasnt clear.

9 years ago the "regulation" was removed but it was left at the discretion of each schools director. So if the director wanted short hair then short hair they still had to have. My point was that some directors still believed it was the "law" which was incorrect.

The new regulation, from today, has removed that discretion from directors and now all schools must allow girls, of all ages, to have long hair if they wish to do so.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is slowly progressing, with this they have moved their society from the equivalent of going from 1959 to 1960.

Yes but will they ever get to the Beatlemania era?

Well, they will be allowed floppy hairdo's, so its a start. In my school growing up, hair had to be off the collar, or be long enough to make a ponytail, so cue all sorts of stupid attempts for boys to shave and shape their mop into anything that didn't touch their collar. Buzz cuts for Thai kids of an age are practical and good in the heat. All the school needs to do is make sure the kids look tidy enough, so if your mop top is out of control, teacher can tell you to go and get it cut.

Then its the kids problem if he doesn't.

If i had my way, I would be screaming at them to tuck their shirts in and pull up their ties too.

Bit of a dictator/director are you?

Thailand is slowly progressing, with this they have moved their society from the equivalent of going from 1959 to 1960.

Yes but will they ever get to the Beatlemania era?

Well, they will be allowed floppy hairdo's, so its a start. In my school growing up, hair had to be off the collar, or be long enough to make a ponytail, so cue all sorts of stupid attempts for boys to shave and shape their mop into anything that didn't touch their collar. Buzz cuts for Thai kids of an age are practical and good in the heat. All the school needs to do is make sure the kids look tidy enough, so if your mop top is out of control, teacher can tell you to go and get it cut.

Then its the kids problem if he doesn't.

If i had my way, I would be screaming at them to tuck their shirts in and pull up their ties too.

I don't really mind about their hair, along as it looks tidy enough, and don't think it is unfair to expect school kids to look clean and respectable enough. Why the hell they have to wear white anything is beyond me since all it does is produce gargantuan amounts of washing, and as for white socks in a country where you take your shoes off inside a building, who the hell thought that one up?

Giving them compulsory buzz cuts is too much, and too conformist, but neither would I allow them to come to school looking like crap either. Uniforms in school to some degree serve a purpose of being cheap and producing some formality to the place.

As for compulsory uniforms at university, that is completely beyond me, old enough to marry, die for your country, vote, but have to wear a uniform.

But i really can't see the point of a school uniform, if you are going to wear it and act like a slob. there is a difference between freedom of thought and slovenliness.

• Like 2

Actually, our director looks like this:

16092540-middle-eastern-businessman-pulling-off-necktie.jpg

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

~~~Uniforms in school to some degree serve a purpose of being cheap and producing some formality to the place.~~

And for Thai technical colleges it enables students to identify students from other technical colleges so you dont accidentally shoot your own classmate on a crowded bus.

• Like 2

~~~Uniforms in school to some degree serve a purpose of being cheap and producing some formality to the place.~~

And for Thai technical colleges it enables students to identify students from other technical colleges so you dont accidentally shoot your own classmate on a crowded bus.

Well, putting their names stictched in every dam_n shirt is stupid. No recycling of uniforms. And I wouldn't worry too much about gangs of kids identitying themselves, that would happen whether they were wearing uniforms or not.

Then again, by the age they are in technical colleges aren't they beyond high school? In which case, they are adults.

Well, putting their names stictched in every dam_n shirt is stupid. No recycling of uniforms. And I wouldn't worry too much about gangs of kids identitying themselves, that would happen whether they were wearing uniforms or not.

Then again, by the age they are in technical colleges aren't they beyond high school? In which case, they are adults.

Adults ? Sorry but that's hilarious.

The way most of them drive shows me their maturity level.

And the Hello Kitty and Doremon stuff all over their cars and bikes is yet another sign....

Adults ? Sorry but that's hilarious.

The way most of them drive shows me their maturity level.

And the Hello Kitty and Doremon stuff all over their cars and bikes is yet another sign....

Well that tends to happen when you infantilise kids and give them zero responsibility and accountability.

Yobs and out of control kids are hardly limited to Thailand. As for doraemon and hello kitty, I think that is rather universal across Asia with youth from 12 to 22 and even older.

I think it will improve the appearance of most of the kids, not all, but most. Some of the girls look cute with short hair, most just look funny, and all of the boys look like monk wannabe's, it kind of creeps me out. Hopefully, we won't see a lot of boys with long hair and girls will the horrible hair down to the ass look.

Hope this idea gets knocked on the head pdq. How are my boys expected to show they go to a private school if all the little plebs can have long hair too? laugh.png

The chauffeured Benz will probably be a clue.

You don't have to be that rich to send your kids to a private school wink.png

• Like 1

Nothing better to focus on at Thai Education, honestly is the length of hair the most pressing issue?

Things like appearance (uniform, haircut etc) are part of what is known as "hidden curriculum" as also are things like putting your hand up for permission to speak, lining up for activities, the way the desks are positioned etc etc etc. All of these parts of the hidden curriculum go towards things like learning how to cooperate and negotiate in society. It is argued however that giving students the choice on their appearance is also beneficial as they can express individuality which is also important, but there is always a balance needed.

• Like 1

With both public and private school kids allowed to have hair of any length they choose will mean you won't be able to tell which type of school (public or private) they go to when you see them out of uniform on weekends/holidays. And that's they way it should be and will end the discrimination against short-haired kids who are seen as being 'poor' or 'low-class' because they go to public schools.

• Like 1