Thais And Thainess

lovelomsak

I will try and keep this rant short as possible.

My wife (as of January 2nd) is a teacher at a local privately owned Christian school. How they treat her and other teachers at the school is a good indicator for me about thainess to Thais.

So here goes the rant starts now. The school because it is a christian school doesnot give buddhist holidays off to the teachers,because they are a christian school. . Then they tell the teachers they cannot give them christian holidays because Thailand isnot a christian country. The teachers work during all national holidays during the year.December they work 6 days a week 12 hours a day preparing for Christmas day celebration at the school. On Christmas day the teachers work 16 hours preparing a party for parents of children and the bosses.All this without extra pay. Well we are talking pay i have to add something. The government brought in a minimum teacher salary of over 11,800 baht a month. Well the school pays 7900 baht a month to the teachers but makes them sign the received the full 11,800 on payday telling them it will come in the future. They cannot quit because in their contract if the quit they must pay the school 50,000 baht.

They gave all the teachers new extra duties and told them they must work saturdays to do them. Then last week the director told them she should have given the choice of work extra hours after school each day and have saturdays off or work saturdays.. Given the choice the teachers starting working extra hours everyday after work. They had one saturday off. Then were told they go to another school owned and study how things are done there on saturdays. So now they have them working extra hours after work each day and saturdays, at less than government legislated wages.Plus no holidays.

Thainess at its best would we not all agree.

I should add they must also pay for all school materials out of the wages.So the next time you feel victimized by a thai think about how they treat their own.

your wife agreed to it when she sighned the contract, its not thainess whatever that is, its foolishness on the teachers part for working there.

genious on the schools part because they are pulling it off.

rolleyes.gif Sure its not racist?

your wife agreed to it when she sighned the contract, its not thainess whatever that is, its foolishness on the teachers part for working there.

no its rascist not racist, point out one of my spelling mistakes before all the gramma police launch their assault, is it their or there.

As your wife only started work on Jan 2nd, then she must have been told of the working conditions during December by the other teachers. Not actually experienced them herself.

Same with the salary as she would not have received a salary payment yet.

I doubt that there is anything in the contract of employment about waiving public holidays. By law, if they work these days they have to receive overtime payments.

If the teachers are all unhappy about the working conditions, they should go on mass and try to sort it out with the owner. Otherwise they should report this to the labour department.

Sorry I quess i wrote it so it was hard to understand. She has been my wife since january2 is what i meant. She has been employed at the school since Out of 17 teachers at the school only 3 originals are still there.My wife is 43 and is afraid she cannot find another job at her age, the other 2 originals are in the same age bracket and have the same fear.

The owner of this school has another school the wife transferred from. The other school has the same problem and 3 of the teachers went anonymously to the ministry of education. Last week the owner had a 4 hour meeting with all the other teachers at the school and out right threatened all of them.

I havenot read and cannot read the contract it is in thai. So it is impossible to state what is in it. The only part of the contract I have been made aware of is the 50,000 baht fine for quitting.Most schools have a fine written into the contract but the common amount is 20,000 baht.

I should mention there is a real problem keeping teachers some quit on her in 2 weeks. many last 2 or 3 months. The school cannot even keep helpers. People just donot come back when they see the state of things.The ones that quit are mostly young teachers and know better than to stay and get to deeply involved and maybe never get out like my wife.

As far as the wages go the new government legislation is law and as such should be paid.

Your wife has signed a bilateral contract, with in this contract both parties must perform based on their responsibilities as specified with in the contract.

Since the school is failing to live up to their part of the contract and are paying your wife less than the government required wage as per agreement,The contract is Non- Performing and is null and void.

Your wife can certainly quit with out paying the 50,000 bht fine, in fact the school might be liable for failing to live up to their part of the contract.

• Like 2

It sounds more like Exploitation,of the gullible who signed such a work contract, than Thainess!

Seems like the Teachers need to ask: who is pocketing the extra 3900 baht they are signing for? and is it legal to sign for Government money they are not receiving?

Edited by MAJIC

you let your wife go to work day in and day out for 7900bht under poor conditions.

and she is afraid to lose her job as she will not have any means to support herself right, what about you her so called loving husband.

surely your not living on air, take her out of there and look after her, at least until she finds another job if thats what she wants, for 7900 bht whats the point.

you seriously let her stay there living in misery for peanuts.

you let your wife go to work day in and day out for 7900bht under poor conditions.

and she is afraid to lose her job as she will not have any means to support herself right, what about you her so called loving husband.

surely your not living on air, take her out of there and look after her, at least until she finds another job if thats what she wants, for 7900 bht whats the point.

you seriously let her stay there living in misery for peanuts.

True, it's not a job it's a nightmare and the Thainess is having doubts and fear from the authorities and not to do anything

"................The government brought in a minimum teacher salary of over 11,800 baht a month. Well the school pays 7900 baht a month to the teachers but makes them sign the received the full 11,800 on payday telling them it will come in the future. They cannot quit because in their contract if the quit they must pay the school 50,000 baht."

Unless they are being paid directly into their hands (in this day and age highly unlikely) then a bank statement will show proof of income. Judging by what you have stated the school is involved in fraudulent practice, as a minimum, tax evasion. As a matter of interest, what is your wife being taxed on, the 11,800 baht or the 7,900 baht she is actually receiving?

To understand what sort of contract your wife is working under, it would maybe worth getting it officially translated so you can better understand. If additional requirements have been imposed, then a new contract should be drawn up to reflect these requirements. She obviously enjoys teaching the kids (I can see no other reason why she would remain otherwise), and is obviously an experienced teacher (one of the original three) so should have no problem getting another job if need be. To me 50,000 baht would be a small price to pay.

As a final note, she has the labor office and the education ministry to complain to, if there is cause for complaint. I am not sure about the ombudsman as they usually investigate complaints against the government by individuals.

As a disclaimer to the above, I do not work in the education system and this is only my viewpoint as to what I would do.

Jurgen's post was one of the best I have seen for a while ........ I am wondering where the absolution you seem to give yourself for having your wife work in a place you disaprove of comes from ? Wouldn't your post have been even more sensible if you had written it from the perspective of ...... why would a Farang allow his wife work in a place like this ? Or ...... what kind of silly Farang would have his wife work for crazy people and then complain about it ?

Your post is more about yourself than Thainess as most Thai people don't either employ people or work for people in a similar fashion.

A better title would be ...... Desperate loser Farang can't be a good husband and his wife is working for crazy people to help pay the bills.

Amazing!

If what the OP posts about the conditions that his wife is working in is true - it's somehow his fault??

No its his wifes fault.

I read an advert in Thai the other day, Central sales staff, 12-15k per month.

The OPs wife should just walk and then let the school try and take her to court.

Jeez, there are girls working in factories being paid more than this.

I don't see why, based on a particular situation, you feel entitled to insult all Thai people.

I't as bit lke a Thai reading your post would then post in Pantip that farangs are all total morons.

Sorry I donot quite understand what you are saying heer that relates to this thread.

I quess its time to provide more info. My wife feels she needs to work and contribute. She has 2 teenagers and is honest enough and proud enough not to let me take on the task of paying for everything myself. She gets self worth by working. The problem is her job, not whether I am providing for her and her children so please keep it on topic.

I also mentioned getting a job that pays just as well or better in another field,but she wants to teach, but is unsure because of her age that she can get into another school. She teachs kindergarden and comes home everyday with stories about the children and what they did that day. She loves the kids and the other teachers.

Edited by lovelomsak

Amazing!

If what the OP posts about the conditions that his wife is working in is true - it's somehow his fault??

No its his wifes fault.

The OPs wife should just walk and then let the school try and take her to court.

Here's a thought although not that pleasant....But...

Is you wife really telling you the truth about her earnings, or is she under duress, and quietly having to give some to the family...and too embassed to admit it to you?

YOU (lovelomsak) should be checking yourself with the school (Christian though it is)...she may be suffering in silence, without your knowledge.

It does happen here you know!

Amazing!

No its his wifes fault.

Here's a thought although not that pleasant....But...

Is you wife really telling you the truth about her earnings, or is she under duress, and quietly having to give some to the family...and too embassed to admit it to you?

YOU (lovelomsak) should be checking yourself with the school (Christian though it is)...she may be suffering in silence, without your knowledge.

It does happen here you know!

I understand what you are saying here and agree those things do happen. But the salary issue has been on going since it was legislated. All the teachers talk about it everyday so I amnot getting info from just one source. As I stated earlier the other school owned by the same woman had people complain anonymously to the Education Ministry and the owner went to the school and basicly threatened all the teachers for hours at a meeting. The teachers have been told to sign that they are receiving full wages. If they donot sign they get no pay simple as that, and fired and fined the 50,000 baht. And told see what you can do about it, because you can do nothing,the school and owner have more power.

I see what you are getting at, people forget that many Thai have a strong belief in karma, and if you make trouble for some person it will come back to you in some shape or form. I can well understand your wife wanting to continue working for her own self esteem, to provide additional income for her and the household, also retain the ability to support her family should your relationship take a turn for the worse. The best solution here in my opinion is to locate position and job offer, then leave.

• Like 1

Thats not a Christian school !....as suggested elsewhere, if you can afford it, pay the fine and move on... protect your wife...

Paying the fine simply encourages exploitation and victimisation.

Putting a stop to such practices requires that people stand up and say enough is enough!

It takes a lot of courage for one person to do that, but if the teachers all stand up together, the bully will not prevail.

I am sure that the parents of the children are not exactly happy about the high turnover of teachers. If they all stand against the tyrant and make the parents aware of what is happening, they will be a strong force.

no its rascist not racist, point out one of my spelling mistakes before all the gramma police launch their assault, is it their or there.

racist

rac·ist

noun

a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others.

adjective

of or like racists or racism: racist policies; racist attitudes.

from dictionary .com coffee1.gif

As your wife only started work on Jan 2nd, then she must have been told of the working conditions during December by the other teachers. Not actually experienced them herself.

Same with the salary as she would not have received a salary payment yet.

I doubt that there is anything in the contract of employment about waiving public holidays. By law, if they work these days they have to receive overtime payments.

If the teachers are all unhappy about the working conditions, they should go on mass and try to sort it out with the owner. Otherwise they should report this to the labour department.

That would be my look at it.

My only question is why does your wife put up with such a crooked system? And, it IS crooked because they are required to sign something that is not true...ie. the difference in pay scale as from what is turned into the government. Does she actually NEED the money? Can you not help her until she can find a more honest workplace? Out of principle alone I would not agree to such terms.