Brace Yourselves....20% Inflation!

I get a check from outside of Thailand every month. The value is determined by the value of the Thai Baht. That value is determined by the international market which is determined by investors that use information provided by economists and rating agencies and or the consumer price index. We all feel the same effects.

That of course has nothing to do with the price I and all the underprivalaged who do not get a check every month from overseas have to pay for what we buy.

It would appear you need reminding that this thread is about inflation in Thailand, that is the rise in price of everyday items needed for living in this country.

Once again take into account the present finance ministers white lie when you talk Thai statistics.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What on earth are you on about Kelly?

Interest rates? I fear your terribly confused.

This Thai Visa ad hominem stuff is just too much. Someone should stop it. If you have a problem with something I said spit it out.

Spelling it out for you. S&P and Moody's "setting the value" of what the bank gives you for your money? What are you on about? Interest rates? They don't "set" interest rates;the banks or central banks do, which may or may not be influenced by the credit rating agency. Case in point is USA downgraded but still very low bond yields for gov debt on international markets and very low interest rates set by the Fed which then forms the base of what % over that profit taken by the comercial banks contractually by what they charge to depositors and debtors.

This is just the beginning of essentials inflation I think. Just on the supply demand side, never mind the currency devaluation aspects. Increasing population, wealth rise in Asia, coupled with post peak oil and most other finite rescourses. The "financial crises" has held it back somewhat; imagine the oil prices now if things had continued unchecked another few years; they are still relatively high historically considering this is supposed to be such an economic crises. If things ever recover, wich I don't think they will, it would soon be killed by runaway inflation.

The best we can hope for is stagflation of the west and moderate growth in developing nations until they reach a stagflationary point aswell, probably not far off if not begun already or growth only spun out artificially through stimulus. There is a distinct risk of market crashes along the way but the supply demand dynamics mean despite falling asset values and wealth the cost of essential goods will remain high and pick strait back up to increasing on the long term trajectory.

Edited by mccw

The best we can hope for is stagflation of the west and moderate growth in developing nations until they reach a stagflationary point aswell, probably not far off if not begun already or growth only spun out artificially through stimulus. There is a distinct risk of market crashes along the way but the supply demand dynamics mean despite falling asset values and wealth the cost of essential goods will remain high and pick strait back up to increasing on the long term trajectory.

Thailand has an inflation rate of below 4%.

For the future check the rating agencies opinion. If you want to debate it OK write a litter to S&P or Moody's or Fitch

http://www.datosmacr...atings/thailand

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I get a check from outside of Thailand every month. The value is determined by the value of the Thai Baht. That value is determined by the international market which is determined by investors that use information provided by economists and rating agencies and or the consumer price index. We all feel the same effects.

That of course has nothing to do with the price I and all the underprivalaged who do not get a check every month from overseas have to pay for what we buy.

It would appear you need reminding that this thread is about inflation in Thailand, that is the rise in price of everyday items needed for living in this country.

Once again take into account the present finance ministers white lie when you talk Thai statistics.

Maybe at some point in the past you were correct but now Thailand is in the international community and all prices are influenced by the rest of the world. Unless you are still using the barter system.

Perhaps you don't know it but all your cash is based on S&P and Moodys rating system. I don't know what currency you use at home but it's value is based on estimates of it's value by Moody's and S&P. So if you or anyone else puts money in the bank or uses cash or a check to buy anything the value of that cash and check is determined by Moodys and S&P. So I guess you do give a jot eh?

is this stuff you ingest legal CMK? i have strong doubts! laugh.png

This Thai Visa ad hominem is just too much. Someone should stop it. If you have a problem with something I said spit it out.

i don't have a problem with people who provide amusement thumbsup.gif ...especially on a boring weekend when the markets are closed and neither the Moody Blues nor Poor Standards nor Bitch&Co. determine the value of my currency holdings.

Maybe at some point in the past you were correct but now Thailand is in the international community and all prices are influenced by the rest of the world. Unless you are still using the barter system.

I wont bother looking at your video for what I can see with my own eyes is much more realistic.

Oh and while you are talking up S&P and others have a look over your shoulder and see what rating they gave the sub prime garbage.

But possibly that proves your point that they can minipulate economies, pity it couldnt improve things instead of helping to stuff the world up.

I wont bother looking at your video for what I can see with my own eyes is much more realistic.

Oh and while you are talking up S&P and others have a look over your shoulder and see what rating they gave the sub prime garbage.

But possibly that proves your point that they can minipulate economies, pity it couldnt improve things instead of helping to stuff the world up.

So I guess the Bank of Scotland will be hiring you soon.smile.png

http://www.shadowsta...nflation-charts

Clearly inflation statistics can show whatever a government wants them to.

Clueless Lemmings are the first suckers to lose money

a lot of "clueless suckers" (Thais and Farangs) live on fixed incomes (work or pensions) and have no substantial investments enabling them to beat inflation. and that too applies to "suckers" which have "clue" galore but no money.

Edited by Naam

a lot of "clueless suckers" (Thais and Farangs) live on fixed incomes (work or pensions) and have no substantial investments enabling them to beat inflation. and that too applies to "suckers" which have "clue" galore but no money.

Very true. But those on fixed incomes can act to mitigate the inflation coming, if they recognise it. For example; moving from the big house on tiny plot in moo baan to a more modest house with a larger plot so can produce some of ones own food. Another option could be saving to invest in some land or income producing property instead of buying that flashy new 4x4 etc. Perhapse saving in gold for the long term instead of fiat currencies being actively devalued as a matter of policy. The list goes on.

The lemmings and ostrich are, unfortunately for them but luck for others, still plentiful. It means I still have oppertunity to buy good farm land for 200,000bht pe rai and gold and silver with these colourful bits of paper. Loving it.

The lemmings and ostrich are, unfortunately for them but luck for others, still plentiful. It means I still have oppertunity to buy good farm land for 200,000bht pe rai and gold and silver with these colourful bits of paper. Loving it.

You forgot to mention all the buffaloes who buy land in someone else's name.

It means I still have oppertunity to buy good farm land for 200,000bht pe rai

Buying it for someone else.

Sound investing.

1) I trust my wife and we are very happy together.

2) we have 2 kids who will ultimately inherit, so its essentially a family long term investment.

3) all our UK properties are in my name and Thai land is in hers. So total is currently greatly in favour to myself so I think its fair enough to balance out a bit. We are a couple so 50/50 is not unreasonable.

4) we are still not anywhere near retirement age and our joint efforts produce our assets so sharing them is not an issue.

Maybe if your an old man with a young Ho thinking of "investing" 100% of your life savings in farm land then I'd agree with you. Even if you are an old man with a young cheeky, and can afford as just a % of total, then setting up a company to own some land is still not a bad idea at all. If you can judge a character- a risk is still there ofcourse; but all investments have risk.

Edited by mccw

Very true. But those on fixed incomes can act to mitigate the inflation coming, if they recognise it. For example; moving from the big house on tiny plot in moo baan to a more modest house with a larger plot so can produce some of ones own food. Another option could be saving to invest in some land or income producing property instead of buying that flashy new 4x4 etc. Perhapse saving in gold for the long term instead of fiat currencies being actively devalued as a matter of policy. The list goes on.

those on fixed income without substantial savings do not live in big mansions which they can trade for a smaller home and a vegetable garden. they are also not able to save enought to buy some land or rental properties. and that gold beats future inflation is an assumption without any evidence. for the last 35 years it did not.

Edited by Naam

those on fixed income without substantial savings do not live in big mansions which they can trade for a smaller home and a vegetable garden. they are also not able to save enought to buy some land or rental properties. and that gold beats future inflation is an assumption without any evidence. for the last 35 years it did not.

Hmmm

post-73727-0-24391100-1358601350_thumb.p

post-73727-0-03724500-1358601800_thumb.p

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I dare say 4million bht on a young cheeky and a bit land and house in the sticks is a much better investment than this time share in puket (from the other thread), haha.

Edited by mccw

Depends what fixed incomes and age groups you are talking about. The younger have time to save and/or work more hours. Even the older aswell as the young can choose the way to spend money. Like change to be eating like a Thai instead of western restaurants; stop drinking and smoking. After a couple of years could be save enough to buy a very modest Thai flat of 300,00bht , give for rent a 2000bht pm; every little helps. Keep on this way and 10 years later you have a reasonable back up income.

My wife's family are a good example; they lived very modest, frugal lives, not upgrading house or cars for many years. Instead they bought more and more land or borrow from the bank when a good chance from distressed seller wanted a quick sale and made sure to pay the loan back ASAP. After 15years of this they all have built them selves big nice teak houses, cash everything and good income and can continue growing the wealth. While those neighbours who loaned to buy useless unproductive luxuries are now struggling to pay loans or trapped themselves in debt with no prospects for growth. Life is all about choices; reap what you sow etc

Edited by mccw

That's me, lead by a wife and two little girls. Do as I am told, daddy I want. Just soft and they get what they want.

Signed my life in to servitude may years ago. Would not change it for the world. Jim

Pad Thai Jan 1 increased by 33%, that's after portion sizes shrank a couple of months ago. coffee1.gif

What percent of the Thai consumer index is Pad Thai? And, not my Pad Thai. So apparently only where you buy Pad Thai? London maybe? Or LA?

Pattaya Buddy. Anyone who thinks that Thai inflation is 3% is nuts.

Pad Thai Jan 1 increased by 33%, that's after portion sizes shrank a couple of months ago. coffee1.gif

What percent of the Thai consumer index is Pad Thai? And, not my Pad Thai. So apparently only where you buy Pad Thai? London maybe? Or LA?

3.8% is the figure used by the Bank of London, London School of Economics, Harvard, Yale, Bank of Scotland. Australia, ANZ bank, USA, The Thai government, China and me. biggrin.png You think we are all nuts?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

3.8% is the figure used by the Bank of London, London School of Economics, Harvard, Yale, Bank of Scotland. Australia, ANZ bank, USA, The Thai government, China and me. biggrin.png You think we are all nuts?

Only the Thai government and you are nuts, The others don't agree with what you said, and even the Thai government doesn't believe thier own statistics; so really just leaves only the one big Nut.

Only the Thai government and you are nuts, The others don't agree with what you said, and even the Thai government doesn't believe thier own statistics; so really just leaves only the one big Nut.

Sorry you are wrong as any rating agency can tell you. Look up credit rating agency. I am sorry you have not had the advantage of an education. Perhaps you could try on line econ courses. All of the sources I listed use Credit rating agencies and base policy on the information presented by credit rating agencies.

CMKelly- Your confusing the Bank of Thailand set interest rate (wich has nothing to do with "settings" by credit ratings agencies) with the government reporting of inflation statistics.

But you just carry on making a fool of yourself; its quite comical.

CMKelly- Your confusing the Bank of Thailand set interest rate (wich has nothing to do with "settings" by credit ratings agencies) with the government reporting of inflation statistics.

I said nothing about interest rates. We are discussing inflation.smile.png Aren't you the guy that said the German economy would crash in 2012?biggrin.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I said nothing about interest rates. We are discussing inflation.smile.png Aren't you the guy that said the German economy would crash in 2012?biggrin.png

I don't remember saying that exactly but since you mention it the German economy contracted in Q4; the supposed powerhouse of Europe is running out of steam. Infact the west in general is due another crash this year or next.

The ratings agencies and banks will publish whatever suits them best. After the triple A rated toxic subprime fiasco only an idiot would believe anything they say.