Brace Yourselves....20% Inflation!

With this new 300thb/day minimum wage now the law of the Land of Smiles It's gonna hit us, mostly in the provinces as BKK workers have always been paid more than the rest of the country. Today, I witnessed two price increases......a bottle of drinking water delivered to the door @ 15thb is now 18thb and we asked the driver if he got a raise in wages and he smiled and said yes, now 300thb/day = 20%. Another instance today was when we went to buy bamboo fencing that used to be 50, then 60 is now 90thb+ 20+%.

What other sudden price increases have you noticed??

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too many prices increases to even begin to mention...especially unprepared food (market vegetables/fruits/meats) and prepared food prices. But hey, food and energy prices are generally excluded from the govt's core inflation rate....and I think the govt inflation bean counters must eat different foods (much cheaper) than everybody else. All is good...little inflation in Thailand...just ask the govt inflation bean counters.

Hair shampoo I used to buy at 129 baht per bottle now is being sold 149.. In the past I could find the same bottle discounted at 99 baht.. Go figure..

but as u get older, you need alot less shampoo....... so still cheaper !

Yes and as older one forgets, so can use on face and shave = saves of shaving Foam, oddly works just as well tongue.png

Reminds me of the time about 20 years ago when the price of corn went up about 20%. A box of corn flakes went up 20%, from $3.00 per box to $3.60.

The manufacturers blamed it on the price of corn.

Then some reporter did some math and figured out that a box of corn flakes has about $0.03 worth of actual corn in it.

There's inflation for sure. Prices are going up. But a tiny little percentage of that extra money is going into the pockets of the working poor who now live a slightly more comfortable life in return for their hard work in keeping the water on your doorstep and the vegetables in the markets.

The rest is going into "the trough".

• Like 1

In the last three years our shopping bills (using a basket of the same items) has gone up 15%. But don't worry because the Government says prices are not rising !

That would be called inflation and nothing to do with the 300b minimum wage.

• Like 2

Did the baht bus fare in Pattaya go up? When was the last time it went up? Did fees for certain services in small Thai towns go up? When was the last time that went up? How much does a leg massage cost? When was the last time it went up? When the baht went from 25 to the dollar to 40 to the dollar did services go up? And by how much? You all are dense. http://www.thaivisa....-inflation-302/

http://www.tradingec...d/inflation-cpi

In Thailand, the most important categories in the consumer price index are Food (33 percent of total weight), Transportation and communication (27 percent of total weight) and Housing and furnishing (23.5 percent of total weight). Others include: Health care (7 percent); Recreation and education (5 percent), Electricity, fuel and water supply (5 percent) and Apparel and footwear (3 percent)

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

so I'm not the only one seeing an increase. the nescafe coffee it's a red can went from 400 baht to 540 baht.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

The price of Nescafe is not a good indicator of prices in Thailand - its a global commodity, based on world coffee prices.

BTW - Nescafe instant coffee is made from the beans rejected from 'whole bean' coffee lots - one of the first stages in coffee bean processing.

• Like 1

so I'm not the only one seeing an increase. the nescafe coffee it's a red can went from 400 baht to 540 baht.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

The price of Nescafe is not a good indicator of prices in Thailand - its a global commodity, based on world coffee prices.

BTW - Nescafe instant coffee is made from the beans rejected from 'whole bean' coffee lots - one of the first stages in coffee bean processing.

Why would a global commodity based on world coffee prices be a good indicator of inflation in Thailand? It would in fact be the opposite.

My foie gras is still around 800 baht

Yes but that cheap stuff isn't so good is it?

It is delightful with Munster, chardonnay and saucisse

Bloody Luxury, when I was a lad me mam used t' send us down t' butcher shop wi' a slice o'bread to rub on the butchers counter.

You young uns got it easy nowadays

• Like 2

My foie gras is still around 800 baht

Yes but that cheap stuff isn't so good is it?

It is delightful with Munster, chardonnay and saucisse

Bloody Luxury, when I was a lad me mam used t' send us down t' butcher shop wi' a slice o'bread to rub on the butchers counter.

You young uns got it easy nowadays

Germs man. At least toast it

M

Those on a UK pension could suffer because they are only due to increase

by a pathetic 2.5% blink.png

Sorry but UK pensioners residing in Thailand do not receive any increase.

really ?

so have you seen this ? sick sick sick

bah.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-20978487

I would pay the money grabbing buggers what they are actually worth.

The prime Minister would get the biggest salary and that would not exceed 4 figures. The rest would bget about half and cabinet ministers 3/4.

Nobody forces them to become MPs and if they can't take a joke then they shouldn't have joined.

Edited by billd766

Another type of price inflation is when the price of the item stays the same or only increases a little, however, but, the quantity/weight/size of the items being sold gets smaller. I was reading an article just last week where a SME was complaining about the increase of the minimum wage to 300 baht/day and he said he would either have to raise the price of his product or keep the price the same but reduce the quantity size....happening to many products sold in grocery stores. Same thing has been happening at vegetable markets for those vegetables sold in bunches...the price has only went up a little but the bunch size has got smaller. Yeap, price don't have to go up to effectively still have product price inflation.

Another type of price inflation is when the price of the item stays the same or only increases a little, however, but, the quantity/weight/size of the items being sold gets smaller. I was reading an article just last week where a SME was complaining about the increase of the minimum wage to 300 baht/day and he said he would either have to raise the price of his product or keep the price the same but reduce the quantity size....happening to many products sold in grocery stores. Same thing has been happening at vegetable markets for those vegetables sold in bunches...the price has only went up a little but the bunch size has got smaller. Yeap, price don't have to go up to effectively still have product price inflation.

You don't buy your vegetables by weight? How odd.

You don't buy your vegetables by weight? How odd.

We do for most vegetables...but some are just sold in bunches or you get X number for X baht. How odd you don't know that.

• Like 2