Non-im O (retire) Extension Timing Question

Hi,

I have a British passport, a Non-Im O visa (retirement), a one year (actually 9 months as it was my first) extension of stay valid until October 4 and a multi re-entry to match.

I would like to have to do my one year extension applications around January and not September.....

A. Am I correct to assume that I could :

1. Get out of LOS before October 4

2. Get myself a one year multi entry Non-Im O in Penang based on retirement (picture, bank book & copy with more than 200k, over 50, passport)

3. Plan one of my entries around begining February when I would get 90 days (good until end begining May)

4. From mid April apply in LOS for a one year extension (really 9 months) based on retirement which will be good until the following end January/begining February. Before its expiration in January I apply for another year's extension and would then do it every year in January for a full year.

B. Even if my multi entry one year visa is still valid, am I allowed to apply for a one year extension ? Would it be better to plan for a single entry 90 days visa and enter end January/begining February (which would be easier as available in Singapore) ?

Thanks for your help

Edited by Krub

Yes you could do it with a single entry O visa anytime after October 4 as you will then not have any valid visa. Prior to that date Penang might not want to stamp a visa. So go and do your thing, obtain new non immigrant O visa and return in February and then make application for new retirement extension during the last 30 days or your stay.

lopburi3: You might recall my situation where I plan to be in Australia when my non-imm 0 one year retirement extention expires in May 2006 and I need to get my annual renewal date to fall in October of each year, when I am sure to be in Thailand.

I e-mailed Sydney consulate and they gave me the same requirements for getting a non-imm O that they did three years ago, " better you try in your home country".

I plan to obtain a standard tourist visa to re-enter Thailand after my non-imm O expires and then get my non-O in BKK Immigration (change of status from tourist visa to non-imm O) and then get the one year extention either in BKK or Chiang Mai if that is now permitted.

See any flaws in this plan?

It will be an added step and expense and you may well not endear yourself to immigration as they will see you already had retirement extension and failed to comply with requirements. They may consider your case more work than they would like but they will no doubt do it.

I would try a smaller Consulate for the non immigrant O single entry in Oz or a quick trip to Penang myself as that will make the process less complex.

Get myself a one year multi entry Non-Im O in Penang based on retirement (picture, bank book & copy with more than 200k, over 50, passport)

Does Penang grant Non-Im Os based on "retirement?" Maybe so, but I've not seen anything official that has 'retirement' as a valid reason for issuing a Non-Im O. Some honorary Consulates, at least in the States, are fairly liberal in stretching rationale for granting Non Im Os; while others insist you get either an "OA," or a "tourist," as do the Embassy and 'real' Consulates.

Anyway, you're saying being over 50 and having "more than 200k" of, presumably, baht will do the trick in Penang?

PTE,

You would thing Thai Immigration would be more than accomodating to charge you full fare for a "short" year in order to adjust to a new situation. I guess, however, "too complicated" trumps the "time value of money."

Maybe Thaksin should explain this concept to them...........

I plan to obtain a standard tourist visa to re-enter Thailand after my non-imm O expires and then get my non-O in BKK Immigration (change of status from tourist visa to non-imm O) and then get the one year extention either in BKK or Chiang Mai if that is now permitted.

See any flaws in this plan?

PTE, no problem that I see as this is exactly what I'm in the process of doing. Right now I am on a 3 week wait to go back to Bangkok to get whatever it is they are going to give me after applying for the change of status from tourist visa to non-imm (2k baht). Not sure tho what you mean when you say 'standard toursist visa' as one of the requirements for 'change of staus' is that you must have more than a month (>30 days) left on your current visa when you apply. So, a two month tourist visa is needed. Just a tip.

Since I have not yet taken this next step, I'm not quite sure how the rest will go, but how I understand it is that after I receive 'whatever it is I will get in Bangkok', I should wait two months, then go to Chiang Mai Immigration and initiate (extend???) the retirement stamp. This is all new ground for me.

jb

Get myself a one year multi entry Non-Im O in Penang based on retirement (picture, bank book & copy with more than 200k, over 50, passport)

Does Penang grant Non-Im Os based on "retirement?" Maybe so, but I've not seen anything official that has 'retirement' as a valid reason for issuing a Non-Im O. Some honorary Consulates, at least in the States, are fairly liberal in stretching rationale for granting Non Im Os; while others insist you get either an "OA," or a "tourist," as do the Embassy and 'real' Consulates.

Anyway, you're saying being over 50 and having "more than 200k" of, presumably, baht will do the trick in Penang?

You're absolutely correct Jim,There's nothing official saying that retirement is a valid reason for issuing the Non imm O. For me it was OA or nothing,( I didnt want the tourist visa),and I was certainly glad when all was said and done that I got the multi OA. Jungle Boy: Undoubtedly, PTE was referring to the 60 day tourist visa in mentioning the "standard"one.

Yes, I did mean the 60 day tourist visa to re-enter Thailand even though I have a re-entry permit, however, as I have learned, one needs to be on a visa, not an entry permit, to have a change of status to non-imm O in BKK.

Jungleboy: You are in the midst of what I did three years ago for my first long stay. Tourist visa to non-imm O in Bkk and then long stay extention in Chiang Mai. 30 Days was required between application and issuance of new visa.

Since I have already done this once, I am interested to see if the pre-existing non-imm O yearly extenstions (3 in number) will hasten or otherwise facilitate this application.

I am comfortable with this approach, as immigration involvement would have been necessary in any case to change my annual renewal date for my extentions and surely, most immigration officers will understand that flying roundtrip to Thailand for the sole purpose of renewing my long stay to avoid their inconvenience is somwewhat absurd.

I have no knowledge regarding Penang, but I do believe obtaining an non-immigrant O visa on a retirement basis is problematic at many Thai counsulates abroad, my own experience was terrible in Sydney and by phone to Nom Phen, they said "no way".

Going through the entire process overseas, including the police check, seems more difficult to me than doing it in BKK. I certainly will report back on my experience this time in Novemeber. Thanks all for your imput.

JimGant: I am less intimidated by immigration than I was before, especially with the many positive posts of late regarding their efforts to be more "service" oriented. I am sure the "luck of the draw", as to the individual officer involved, makes a big difference.

Yes, I did mean the 60 day tourist visa to re-enter Thailand even though I have a re-entry permit, however, as I have learned, one needs to be on a visa, not an entry permit, to have a change of status to non-imm O in BKK.

Jungleboy: You are in the midst of what I did three years ago for my first long stay. Tourist visa to non-imm O in Bkk and then long stay extention in Chiang Mai. 30 Days was required between application and issuance of new visa.

Since I have already done this once, I am interested to see if the pre-existing non-imm O yearly extenstions (3 in number) will hasten or otherwise facilitate this application.

I am comfortable with this approach, as immigration involvement would have been necessary in any case to change my annual renewal date for my extentions and surely, most immigration officers will understand that flying roundtrip to Thailand for the sole purpose of renewing my long stay to avoid their inconvenience is somwewhat absurd.

I have no knowledge regarding Penang, but I do believe obtaining an non-immigrant O visa on a retirement basis is problematic at many Thai counsulates abroad, my own experience was terrible in Sydney and by phone to Nom Phen, they said "no way".

Going through the entire process overseas, including the police check, seems more difficult to me than doing it in BKK. I certainly will report back on my experience this time in Novemeber. Thanks all for your imput.

JimGant: I am less intimidated by immigration than I was before, especially with the many positive posts of late regarding their efforts to be more "service" oriented. I am sure the "luck of the draw", as to the individual officer involved, makes a big difference.

My own experience is the following :

I went to the Thai Embassy in Singapore on day 1 with passport, foto, copy of account balance (print of internet statement of bank account held in Europe in Euro).

I applied for a Non Im O and stated I wanted to retire (I am over 50)

On day 2 was issued with a single entry 90 day NonIm O.

It is then very easy to extend this in the last month of your stay permit to a one year on the basis of retirement.

The only thing is that they only extend it for the time left to make it one year since your entry on the visa meaning just over 9 months.

Hope this helps

Whoa! I just got a phone call from Bangkok Immigration telling me that my request had been approved and that I can come 'pick it up'. I was scheduled to return on Mar 20th. That's an incredible 11 days early (12 days to process instead of the 23/30). I suppose the computer system has reduced the wait. After 3 years of struggling (financial struggles to meet the 800k) and 3 months of doing all the wrong things (totally my doings), there is light at the end of the tunnel. A BIG LIGHT.

A Big round of appluase for all who have advised. Lopburi3...an extra clap for you.

I'm off to Bangkok tomorrow, providing a seat is available.

Thanks,

jb

Now you have (from MFA website)

other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

And from Royal Thai Embassy, Washington:

SETTLEMENT AFTER RETIREMENT (requiring proof of retirement and financial support)

The O-A is called a "A Residence Permit in the case of Retirement for Person who is 50 years or Over" and requires other proofs. A visa to allow you to perform the extension process at immigration in Thailand should be issued IMO and believe the Consulates that do so are the ones following the rules.

A visa to allow you to perform the extension process at immigration in Thailand should be issued IMO and believe the Consulates that do so are the ones following the rules.

Makes sense, since having to get a tourist visa, then converting to an "O" in Thailand doesn't make much sense for the retirement eligible.

Interesting that the Thai Embassy in DC, which updated its Webpage in Jan 2006, finally makes mention of 'retirement' as a valid reason for issuing a Non Imm O. I just wonder what they require for "proof of financial support" -- same as for an "O-A"?

LA Consulate, however, still doesn't mention 'retirement' as a reason for issuing a Non Imm O -- and they too updated their Website in Jan 2006........

And the Chicago Consulate says the following as a reason for issuing a Non Imm O:

VII. Retirement in Thailand (see also [O-A] Retirement Visas), the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

* documentation showing proof of retirement

* bank statement or monthly/year income.

* a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department

* a certificate of health.

These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State.

Sounds identical to what's required for an O-A visa; after going thru all this bother, getting just an "O" when you could get an "O-A" would make no sense.

But, nice to think MFA is trying to smooth matters.

A visa to allow you to perform the extension process at immigration in Thailand should be issued IMO and believe the Consulates that do so are the ones following the rules.

Makes sense, since having to get a tourist visa, then converting to an "O" in Thailand doesn't make much sense for the retirement eligible.

Interesting that the Thai Embassy in DC, which updated its Webpage in Jan 2006, finally makes mention of 'retirement' as a valid reason for issuing a Non Imm O. I just wonder what they require for "proof of financial support" -- same as for an "O-A"?

LA Consulate, however, still doesn't mention 'retirement' as a reason for issuing a Non Imm O -- and they too updated their Website in Jan 2006........

And the Chicago Consulate says the following as a reason for issuing a Non Imm O:

VII. Retirement in Thailand (see also [O-A] Retirement Visas), the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

* documentation showing proof of retirement

* bank statement or monthly/year income.

* a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department

* a certificate of health.

These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State.

Sounds identical to what's required for an O-A visa; after going thru all this bother, getting just an "O" when you could get an "O-A" would make no sense.

But, nice to think MFA is trying to smooth matters.

Jim,As far as the requirements for the OA are concerned, I asked specifically beforehand if ANY of the 4 documents listed above needed to be notarized and was told it wasnt necessary. Indeed my OA was issued in 45 minutes after providing the (unnotarized) documents. ,Also the consul (New Orleans) was on the phone to the Thai embassy in D.C. a couple of times during those 45 minutes.

I totally agree with you that getting the OA is vastly preferable to just getting the O from one's home country,whether the documents end up needing to be notarized or not.