Tesco Thailand Ou

Thanks for sharing,indeed some interesting points,I like the concept of the larger stores being the point of supply for the smaller express type stores when stock is low,seems logical.

Also how they are teaching,introducing the cold chain transport methods,I am always amazed still at the lack of refrigeration in LOS.

Interesting video. I went on to watch #2 in the series (Monk Buckets & Mango Pickers). The COO let one little nugget slip that he really should keep quiet about... Tesco values on-time deliveries, and they keep a track record for each of their suppliers (talking about small-scale farmers, etc.) Those suppliers who have a poor on-time record, Tesco will order more product. Those who deliver on-time, Tesco orders less product. Sort of a negative reinforcement (if the vendors figure this out), but I guess the theory is that ordering more makes up for the unreliability in supply. I would think it should be the other way around.

Interesting video. I went on to watch #2 in the series (Monk Buckets & Mango Pickers). The COO let one little nugget slip that he really should keep quiet about... Tesco values on-time deliveries, and they keep a track record for each of their suppliers (talking about small-scale farmers, etc.) Those suppliers who have a poor on-time record, Tesco will order more product. Those who deliver on-time, Tesco orders less product. Sort of a negative reinforcement (if the vendors figure this out), but I guess the theory is that ordering more makes up for the unreliability in supply. I would think it should be the other way around.

Agreed, that's what he eluded to. Opposite the western mind-set for sure. Perform or else you are a--ed-out.

I did enjoy both videos as well, they started from scratch and had to overcome and adapt to the local ways while same time trying to educate on some modern business practices. Interesting mix of accomodations.

A Tesco Express opened in my town and it is really knocking back the traditional mom and pops. I keep expecting to see a big fire one night buring the place to the foundations. There's a beer and bev shop right next door to the right, I can see the irritation when I come out with a bag of suds from Tesco. I still go up the road and compete the price, sucessfully the other day, with my former SME. Tesco at 72 baht for a large bottle of Heinekin but 70 if you buy a full case. Lady up the road went to 70 ea and I bought 8. So, I'll give her my business out of principle and stick it to Corporate. LOL.

Fair winds/following seas,

J

they need to take a look at Krabi tesco Lotus , many times out of stock on many items INCLUDING fruit and vegitables...only last Friday the entire Chicken section had gone bad and looked like leather obviously been left out of the back of store fridges overnight (it is quite common to pick up fresh chicken slices that stink in the Krabi store)

So yeah Tesco your staff training and loyalty of staff is paying off????