Which Visa To Apply For

I am over 55 and would like to live in Thailand most of the year.,However, i would take a few trips each year to other Asian countries and the USA. Most of the trips would be for about two weeks, but one trip would be for up to three months. I would be able to deposit funds into a a Thai bank term deposit.

Which visa would I apply for?

Per above. Apply for a non-O visa based upon retirement in the US, once in Thailand you can apply for an extension of stay for 1 year, every year. With a re-entry permit you can leave Thailand, as long as you come back before your next extension is due.

Rules for the one year extension is that you are over 50 and

- have 800,000 baht in the bank in Thailand for 3 months (2 months at the first extension)

OR

- have an income of 65,000 baht a month (can be from abroad, should in that case be verified by your embassy)

OR

- have a combination of yearly income and money in the bank, togehter totalling 800,000 baht.

• Like 1

The first year. Assuming you had no or few Thai visas in your pp you could survive easily on tourist visas. Just have to be wise about it. In fact, Id recommend it over the retirement visa as the o-a is a big hassle (but doable).

When you decide you really want to set roots, then what Mario suggests is the best path these days for male not married to Thai, not working Thai.

The first year. Assuming you had no or few Thai visas in your pp you could survive easily on tourist visas. Just have to be wise about it. In fact, Id recommend it over the retirement visa as the o-a is a big hassle (but doable).

A OA visa and getting an extension of stay are not the same thing.

An OA visa requires additional documentation to get it.

An extension of stay for retirement is very easy to get if you can meet the financial requirements.

In most home countries a person over 50 can also get a multiple entry non-o visa at an honorary consulate. For some this is a good option if they are going to be staying less than 90 days at a time.

Edited by ubonjoe