The Retirement Visa – Questions

Soon I will be 50 and tired of Tourist Visas

I know that there is a Visa you can get once you reach the ripe old age of 50.

So my questions exactly are:-

1. What is the name of this Visa?
  2. 800,000 Baht … for how many months in the bank untouched

1. First time?
    2. Subsequent times?

[*]Where do you get the Visa? Do you apply in your home country or arrive on a 30 entry and apply at the Immigration Office?

[*]Is it only the main Immigration office … or will the local one suffice?

[*]What documentation is required?

[*]Cost?

[*]Length of the Visa?

[*]Is it multiple or single entry?

[*]How long does it last for?

[*]Do you simply extend it before it expires?

Any other relevant information would be well received.

I don’t have any outside income so not interested in the combination method or the income method … thanks

My apologies if this has been asked before. I did look, but found nothing recently and I did read the pinned topics above.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Non immigrant O

2. 1. 60 days

2. 2. 3 months

3. A Thai Consulate or as conversion at an Immigration office inside Thailand.

4. Office responsible for the province you currently reside. But conversion might have to be Bangkok.

5. Bank account and bank letter of account balance plus passport/TM.7 form/4x6cm photos/copies of passport and departure card and fee of 1,900 for extension (extra 2,000 and set of documents for conversion if required)

6. As above. Bank letter likely to cost 1-200 baht.

7. 90 days

8. Single

9. The 90 days from entry or conversion

10. Yes - the TM.7 process is an extension for one year - it is not a visa.

For any travel you obtain a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi valid for your current permitted to stay time.

If you actually want to obtain the dedicated visa (non immigrant O-A from home country you would also need medical and police check paperwork and that would provide a one year stay on entry.

• Like 1

12 Month Extension for Retirement:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Thanks to you both for the fast information. I was expecting a few days for a reply.

So, in story form.

I transfer money into my Thai bank Account and let it rest for a minimum of 60 days.

In the mean time, I arrive into Thailand on a 30 day entry.

On Day 61 (or there abouts from when I quarantined the money) get a letter from the Bank and visit the local immigration office and request a 'Non immigrant O Visa'.

Plus all the forms and photos suggested above.

Questions:-

Because I will no apply for visa in my home country, can I still go to local immigration office and not the big one in Bangkok?

I know the 30 day entry is not a Visa, so Im not extending anything. Is that OK?

Or do I need an actual 60 day tourist visa?

Thanks so much.

1. Non immigrant O

If you actually want to obtain the dedicated visa (non immigrant O-A from home country you would also need medical and police check paperwork and that would provide a one year stay on entry.

This is where I confused little bit.

Are the 2 Visas above the same?

If no, what is the difference?

thanks

If you have the money in the bank within about 15 days after arrival on a visa exempt entry you can do a conversion to a non immigrant visa at certain immigration offices.

Then after 60 days you can then do the extension of stay at any immigration office.

It would be much easier if you could get a single entry non immigrant O visa before traveling. Or from a nearby consulate or embassy.

Edit: There is a big difference between an OA visa and an extension of stay.

The OA you apply for before leaving requires a medical certificate and a police criminal back ground check and documents proving bank deposits in your home country.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks above, but I don't want the 'OA visa'. Well, not for the next year or two.

What confuses me with your reply above is what I read here (other people writing) is that you have to have the money in Bank for 60days.

But you say above about 15 days after arrival on a visa exempt entry you can do a conversion to a non immigrant visa at certain immigration offices.

Then after 60 days you can then do the extension of stay at any immigration office.

This is where I am confused.

So not 60 days, can be 15 days?

Is there list of immigration offices where this is acceptable?

You must have a non immigrant visa entry to apply for a one year extension for retirement - if you enter without that you can obtain from tourist visa or visa exempt entry for 2,000 baht in the process of extension and money does not have to be in account for any fixed period of time - during the 90 days this visa allows it will have been in account for the required 60 days and you can then proceed with the extension of stay phase.

• Like 1

10. Yes - the TM.7 process is an extension for one year - it is not a visa.

For any travel you obtain a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi valid for your current permitted to stay time.

I don't know the re-entry permit.

So, if I get the retirement visa, then get extension, the extension is for 1 year.

Then, when I leave Thailand I get the re-entry permit?

Then can come back into Thailand one time?

But if I get the 3,800 baht multi I can return many times until the extension is finished?

Many thanks (again)

The 15 days is the minimum amount of time that you can do the conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa. You would just need to show that the money is in the bank.

Then after getting the 90 day non immigrant visa you will need to go to immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 days you would then need to make another trip to immigration showing the money in the bank for 60 days or more and apply for the extension of stay.

It is mostly the larger immigration offices that can do the conversion. IE: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai and probably Korat and Songkla which are regional offices.

Edit: After doing the above extension you can apply for a re-entry permit if you need to leave the country. If you leave without one your extension would then become invalid when your return.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks for the information.

I am still confused a little, but I don't wish to trouble you more.

I know this is not your job and you just help people.

I have a good friend who explains things to me. I will go show him what you all reply me and ask him then maybe my understanding will be better.

Will come back tomorrow to you.

Thank You

OK ... many things wrote above seem to be that you think I want to stay long time Thailand and to use the retirement visa as an extension of what ever visa I enter Thailand on ... I don't want this.

I just want to enter Thailand, get the retirement visa, get drivers license and any other thing I can not get on a 30 day entry or a tourist visa.

So, then you think to give me the answer, can you not think that I want to stay long time in Thailand.

Thanks

We have provide the information - it seems you do not know what you want as you are the person providing information for one year extensions of stay but now say you actually only need a single entry non immigrant O visa (if your stay will be less the 90 days). Perhaps ask at an honorary Royal Thai Consulate in your home country.

You must have a non immigrant visa entry to apply for a one year extension for retirement - if you enter without that you can obtain from tourist visa or visa exempt entry for 2,000 baht in the process of extension and money does not have to be in account for any fixed period of time - during the 90 days this visa allows it will have been in account for the required 60 days and you can then proceed with the extension of stay phase.

Hi, I am grateful to be able to find all these answers in the forum. It's nearly impossible for my thai wife to get any information confirmed from immigration office on the phone.

We currently live in Chiangmai and I am helping my dad to apply his retirement with extension of stay here to live next door to me. He is currently in USA and ready to move. Here is my plan, VIsa Exampt entry-- visa conversion -- apply extension of stay. My question is about the visa conversion, What type of non immigrant visa exactly I should apply for my dad when he is here. I see there are many type of non immigrant visa. Is the Visa conversion is something hard to get? What is the requirement? Any thought are appreciated.

Getting the change of visa status is not hard IF you are qualified. If you are not qualified, VERY hard.

Which financial method is he using?

Bank, combo, or income?

If bank or combo he needs how to sort out getting the money into the Thai bank account. Make sure the mechanics of that is sorted out before leaving Thailand. Personally, I'd recommend not pushing the time pressure and arriving either with a single entry O from a friendly consulate or even a tourist visa.

Edited by Jingthing

Getting the change of visa status is not hard IF you are qualified. If you are not qualified, VERY hard.

Which financial method is he using?

Bank, combo, or income?

If bank or combo he needs how to sort out getting the money into the Thai bank account. Make sure the mechanics of that is sorted out before leaving Thailand. Personally, I'd recommend not pushing the time pressure and arriving either with a single entry O from a friendly consulate or even a tourist visa.

About his financial, with my wife as gaurantor, first he plan to open a Bank account when he lands in CM , then log on to citi bank usa and wire his 800k into this fresh thai bank account. Do you think he will be qualified?

Is it matter where the money come from? If I transfer money into his bank account from my thai bank account will it work? I read from somewhere that immigration office want the money to come from oversea but I am not sure. If getting a single entry O visa from Oversea, What could be the reason for my dad to apply? I have a O visa because of my thai wife. But my dad's wife is not Thai. Thanks very much!!

Have you ever tried to do an online international SWIFT transfer using Citibank? I have. They blocked it and I had to call them and tell them about my childhood preferences in peanut butter. Just kidding. There were a LOT of security questions. I could have easily failed and the amount wasn't anywhere near 800K baht. I am suggesting a SECOND backup method from the US. At least one other US account linked to Citibank where there is ANOTHER kind of SWIFT transfer method confirmed before he leaves. Not having at least one backup in the long run can prove very painful and expensive.

I can't address the current enforcement policies on where the funds need to come from. It could vary across offices over time. Transferring from abroad is obviously the most desirable method. I always do. There is a code in the passbook showing that and have never been questioned about it but they can see from the code how the money arrived.

He could probably get a single entry O from a friendly consulate based on "considering retirement in Thailand". Not LA and not the embassy for sure. He's need to contact the consulate he wants to use and just ASK them if that reason would be accepted. Otherwise of course a tourist visa gives 60 days, more time than the 30 day stamp.

Your Dad's wife?!? Is she retiring in Thailand also? She can as a piggyback two for one if done right. Different strategy for that. If so, get SPECIFIC advice about that.

Edited by Jingthing

Have you ever tried to do an online international SWIFT transfer using Citibank? I have. They blocked it and I had to call them and tell them about my childhood preferences in peanut butter. Just kidding. There were a LOT of security questions. I could have easily failed and the amount wasn't anywhere near 800K baht. I am suggesting a SECOND backup method from the US. At least one other US account linked to Citibank where there is ANOTHER kind of SWIFT transfer method confirmed before he leaves. Not having at least one backup in the long run can prove very painful and expensive.

I can't address the current enforcement policies on where the funds need to come from. It could vary across offices over time. Transferring from abroad is obviously the most desirable method. I always do. There is a code in the passbook showing that and have never been questioned about it but they can see from the code how the money arrived.

He could probably get a single entry O from a friendly consulate based on "considering retirement in Thailand". Not LA and not the embassy for sure. He's need to contact the consulate he wants to use and just ASK them if that reason would be accepted. Otherwise of course a tourist visa gives 60 days, more time than the 30 day stamp.

Your Dad's wife?!? Is she retiring in Thailand also? She can as a piggyback two for one if done right. Different strategy for that. If so, get SPECIFIC advice about that.

I have not tired citi bank. I did with HSBC. I got to use strong VPN though to get a around with it. So far seem fine. But thanks for the reminding. I will establish the 2nd method for ways to move money. And I will call the NYC consulate tonight and get some answers. Let s say, If my dad is lucky enough to get an O- visa, he could skip visa conversion? Another case if he get the 60 days tourist visa, He will still need visa conversion. Will he be qualify visa for conversion in his case if the money in by 8-10 days after his arrival?

My dad's wife isn't Thai. She also will retiring to Thailand. but she plans to come 2 months later. Whats the Piggyback two for one strategy? It will be very good news if avoiding 800k two times is possible. Your advice has been very informative and helpful. I appreciate.

Visa exempt entry is a bad idea as airline will likely not allow him to travel without onward air ticket. Much better to obtain single entry non immigrant O visa from an Honorary Consulate such as Portland (done by EMS mail or courier service). He applies as checking retirement options in Thailand. New York, as an official Consulate, may only be able to provide the dedicate Long Stay O-A visa which would require him to obtain simple medical form (if doctor is reasonable) and police check first - but would give him a one year stay on entry and no need to transfer any funds to Thailand for almost two years (except what needed to live). Consulate would guide through the process and as he seems to have the required money available in a US account it could be the easy option.

For bank make sure to set up paperwork for SWIFT transfers before leaving and this must be done in person at most banks. This does not require the foreign bank information at that time but only sign agreement any issues on transfers you request are your fault and not the banks.

In the case of a foreigner who wants to retire in Thailand with a non-Thai spouse, YES, that CAN be done with the use of only ONE financial requirement (any of the three choices). But you need to plan for that, it doesn't just happen. I am not qualified to explain the best tactics to pursue this. If you want to do this and it is worth doing, ASK here specifically and you can get your answers. It will probably mean changing some plans and coordinating between the spouses. Good luck. (BTW, the non-Thai spouse "piggyback-ee" doesn't need to even be over age 50.)

Other question, for a change of visa status (from 30 day stamp or tourist) using the 800K yes the money needs to be shown in Thailand but it doesn't need to be fully seasoned, two months first time, because it WILL be seasoned later as the conversion gets a 90 day O visa. So you come in during the last 30 days of the 90 for the second step, the annual retirement extension. Simple, huh? whistling.gif (Maybe not.)

Will the Royal New York consulate do a single entry O based on retirement? I don't know their current policy specifically. I reckon probably not because they offer O-A visas so may steer him that way instead. I said a FRIENDLY consulate. Not any and all consulates.

A list:

http://www.angeltravel.com/Misc/royal_thai_consulate.htm

(Yes many people mail their passports. You need to communicate with a target consulate first about whether any application is welcome. Some may not welcome applicants from outside their region, while some may.)

Anyway, if you want to do the piggyback you should wait for your answers about how best to do that. I wouldn't do anything until you get that info.

Edited by Jingthing

Treeface needs an explanation on the best strategy and timing to do a so called piggyback.

Primary foreigner on retirement extensions with a secondary non-Thai spouse, using ONE financial qualification. I'm out of my depth on that one.

Edited by Jingthing

Link showing honorary Thai consulates is out of date. Updated list here: http://thaiembdc.us/wordpress1/

None of official consulates or the embassy will issue a non-o for retirement. The Portland consulate has been reported as being helpful.

Thanks. I thought there might at least a few that would entertain that request. The only way to know is to ask. I agree not to bother with the official consulates.

Once his father gets his extension of stay he could then send copies of his passport showing his extension to his wife. And then with these and copy of marriage certificate get single entry non O from a helpful consulate without a problem.

Edit: Since it will only be 2 months they both could get their non-o's at the same time because visa will be valid for 3 months.

Then when she arrives during the last 30 days of her 90 day entry apply for her extension as his dependent.

Edited by ubonjoe

Hi, I am grateful to be able to find all these answers in the forum. It's nearly impossible for my thai wife to get any information confirmed from immigration office on the phone.

We currently live in Chiangmai and I am helping my dad to apply his retirement with extension of stay here to live next door to me. He is currently in USA and ready to move. Here is my plan, VIsa Exampt entry-- visa conversion -- apply extension of stay. My question is about the visa conversion, What type of non immigrant visa exactly I should apply for my dad when he is here. I see there are many type of non immigrant visa. Is the Visa conversion is something hard to get? What is the requirement? Any thought are appreciated.

the flaw i can see with your plan (VIsa Exampt entry-- visa conversion -- apply extension of stay) is the airline allowing boarding, without a visa or a plane ticket out of thailand within 30 days, it would be better for your father to get a single or multi entry non immigrant 'o' visa in his home country, deposit 800,00baht in a thai bank account in his name, or get a proof of income letter from own embassy here, and then get an extension of stay based on retirement at local immigration office within thailand, in the last month of the permission to stay stamps validity.

the flaw i can see with your plan (VIsa Exampt entry-- visa conversion -- apply extension of stay) is the airline allowing boarding, without a visa or a plane ticket out of thailand within 30 days, it would be better for your father to get a single or multi entry non immigrant 'o' visa in his home country, deposit 800,00baht in a thai bank account in his name, or get a proof of income letter from own embassy here, and then get an extension of stay based on retirement at local immigration office within thailand, in the last month of the permission to stay stamps validity.

Thanks for everyone's chip in. The list of the consulate-general is very helpful.

I went to Immigration office today in Chiangmai - for the first time, It's incredible crowded. The Super women at the reception who was answering our questions was multi-tasking to serve another 3 people at the same time.

She told my wife that with Visa exempt entry, one wants to get extension of stay- retirement will pay lots of money in Visa Run. So she suggest get an non-immigration O from oversea.

She also said with visa exempt entry, the non-immigration O could be obtained in Bangkok office. but not in Chiangmai office. (I am not sure if I could 100% trust this answer as I saw people sitting behind the table with retirement sign on top look more experienced and senior.)

Since my dad has purchase the ticket to leave for the kingdom on this Sunday.

Here is what I thing the best I can do and hope it will work out as plan.

My dad will get a 60 days tourist single entry visa tomorrow at NYC. Arrive CM on Monday. Open account, transfer money.

Then we will plan a family trip to Laos with him at the end of 60 days. When he fly back to Chiang Mai he could get another 30 days or 15 days by bus. That should be enough time for applying extension of stay.

After he get his extension of stay. I will have my mom to contact one of the Friendly Consulate for an O visa base on my dad.

I will keep everyone posted here.

Thanks again for all your help. Very much appreciated.

ps. Today I saw a chinese girl was requested to sing a chinese song with microphone in the immigration office to get her passport back. And she did. It amazed me.

I think you got really bad info at CM. I am almost certain you can apply for a change of visa status from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to an O visa at CM as part of the two step process, with the second step being application for annual extension based on retirement. If you don't believe that, if you're going to Laos you can EASILY get a single entry O there at the Thai embassy just based on being over age 50 stating you will be applying for a retirement extension in Thailand. Land crossings only get a 15 day stamp (air entries 30).

You cannot apply DIRECTLY for an extension of stay with a tourist visa, 30 day or 15 day stamp. Somehow an O visa MUST be the first step. You can get an O visa in the US, in Laos or Malaysia for example, or as the first step of a two part process using a change of visa status, yes I believe, available at CM. I think entering on a 15 day stamp hoping for a change of visa status is probably a bad idea. May be seen as not enough time left on that stay to allow for a change of visa status. Those entering on 30 day stamps should hurry into immigration, that's why tourist visas are better, more time.

I reckon you had COMMUNICATION issues at CM. If the applicant shows up asking for a CHANGE OF VISA STATUS and ready to provide FINANCIAL qualification for retirement extension later, I believe he would be good to go. It is true offices that don't do this can refer applicants to do the first step in Bangkok. I am pretty certain CM does offer change of visa status though. Of course policies can change but in this case I strongly doubt it.

If CM is really not doing change of visa status anymore, that would be rather big news. Again, I doubt it.

Edited by Jingthing