Singapore SARS: deadly flu risk?

Dominik

On april 11 I need to leave the country to get a new stamp. Because of troubles I hear about with with neighbouring countries now, I chose to head for Singapore this time. Malaysia also does seem to be a bit of a risk because of the war in Iraq. I am not American, but maybe they think I am.

Many people however warn me that the deadly flu risk is very high in Singapore and advice me not to go there. Travelling agencies report 30% cancellations they say.

Is this correct, or exaggerated? Should I avoid Singapore, and if yes what would be a good place to go? I just need to cross the border, I do not need a new visa. I want to fly because I think immigration on the airport is the most efficient one.

SARS is indeed a huge concern for travelers at this time and as you only have to cross a border don't understand why you believe you need to fly.  A trip to Laos/Cambodia/Malaysia should not be a problem and perfectly safe to just cross over and return.  If you must "fly" and use airport immigration Singapore is probably the cheapest and best but you will probably be subject to close health check on your return.  If you just hate bus/train a flight to Hat Yai and then a border run using a taxi from next to King's Hotel or direct from airport is another option.

Latest numbers from WHO:

http://www.who.int/csr/sarscountry/2003_03_31/en/

Cumulative Number of Case: 91 (12 in critical condition, 41 recover)

Numbe of death is now 4.

Between 700-800 persons have been quarantined at home.

Schools are closed until 6th of April (but not all schools).

Most, if not, all the SARS patients are in a single hospital (TTSH, near Novena Square).

So, if you don't plan to visit this hospital, or any of the quarantined person, you are relatively safe.

"... how many person died on the road during the last long-week, or last Sonkran or unfortunatelly will on the coming one ? ..."

Singapore is still a "Safe" city.

But you might get bored here ... Have been told the bars/pub were quite empty this week-end.

A… A… ATCHOUM !

Ministry of Health (Singapore): http://app.moh.gov.sg/

Thanks everybody for the advice.

I have changed my plans already. I do not really "need" to fly. I would like to fly because I prefer the immigration in the airport above the immigration offices at the borders.

However: I am now heading for Myamar (Birma), and I will be going by bus!

Latest from the BEEB

SARS: PROBABLE CASES AND DEATHS

China 1220 cases (49 deaths)

Hong Kong 761 (17)

Singapore 100 (5)

Vietnam 59 (4)

Canada 62 (7)

Thailand 7 (2)

Source: WHO - April 4 1700 GMT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2919967.stm

Looks as though its only a matter of time before other countries will refuse entry from Thailand.

and ..

In the United States, President George W Bush has issued an executive order allowing the forced quarantine of patients with Sars if deemed necessary by the health secretary :blues:

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from Myamar now. My biggest fear has been confirmed: these healthy checks on the border are not very effective and I can prove it because I decided to test it.

I for myself have almost all of the symptoms of "SARS".. I need a hundred handkerchiefs per hour for my running nose, I cough like a person that is almost dying, etc... I have no fever however.

This is not SARS . I know this for sure because I have this 2 or 3 times per year. Each time it takes about 3 weeks for me to get normal again. Already more then 20 years I have this so I recognize it immediatly. Some kind of allergy I guess.

However: I also had it when I had to cross the border. Guess what: nobody stopped me.... They all looked at me however...

I did not report myself because I know for sure it is not SARS.

Still nobody asked me, and nobody stopped me. The countrary: because I do not look like a "khao san road" tourist but like a business men they even came to help me to get accross the formalities faster without having to wait for all the backpack tourists (not that I mind that). A nice gesture.

There was a display of a complete health check booth with tables and nurses. I just smiled at them and they smiled back with my running nose, my red eyes and mu coughing... It would be very much against Thai culture for them to stop me, so I actually expected this behaviour.

Maybe at the airport in Bangkok they will be stricter?