2013 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

bislinder, we ate breakfast at the Outback Bar many times. The price has gone up to 180 baht for the big breakfast, it was the best in town.

I think they vastly overcook the bacon unless you spend quite a while explaining.

We tried a few other places but we found ourselves returning mostly to the Outback Bar, their food for breakfast and evening meals were great. They were also packed with customers most days. I think the big breakfast, fish and chips and Chicken Massaman Curry was the best meals there. The Outback bar was our favorite place.

They do a damn good shrimp Panang (not on menu) and their pork chop (bone in) with mash and beans is a good fill you up meal. I'm with you on the fish and chips (cobbler) though.

Cheers for getting back to us.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of us who spend time on Samui, sometimes it feels like a dessert desert. Not sure why there are so few competent bakers on Samui. I know the 5 stars make good desserts. And I know about the french bakery in Lamai and Chaweng. But, their selection is very standard. Also familiar with Magnolias in Chaweng. Their dessert is some of the best on the island. But, how can it be nearly impossible to find a good carrot cake on Samui? The Coffee Club has this anemic, dry thing that they call carrot cake. A tiny slice for 100 baht. And poor flavor, too sweet, and dried out. June's Art Cafe has some nice desserts and great food. Does anyone know of some places I am missing? There have to be good spots here. Anyone who was willing to open a coffee shop serving good coffee, real pots of gourmet green, white, herbal, and other kinds of teas, with great desserts would make a fortune here. Imagine a Kathmandu style bakery, with 40 different kinds of brownies, cookies, fruit pies, cakes, etc? Kind of a take off of the Urth Cafe concept in Los Angeles? What about home made ice cream, and fresh tropical fruit sorbets? A bloody fortune is there for the taking. Any takers? Any knowled

I know some will approve, some will flame me, but anyway :

Today I went with 3 old ladies (family...) at Eat Sense on sunbeds. We ordered a few juices, cokes, water, ...

Total was around 700thb. In fact it was 600thb, according to the menu/pricelist, but they add VAT+service (17%)... wasn't mentioned. Ok no problem, I am sometime used to it...

They also tried to charge us for a Singha but we didn't take one. But it was a mistake so mai pen rai.

They asked us 1400thb (instead of 700) because min amount to be spent is 350thb/person/day for using sunbeds. But we were not warned about this.

We refused to pay, and we didn't pay. I told one of the old ladies to give them 700thb + a small tip and we left.

But I am really disappointed the prices are so high. 350thb for a sunbed in Thailand, and poor juice fruit with sooo many sugar sad.png

The min. would be to inform customers first.

I know it is also my bad to come to this "luxurious" Eat Sense.

These ladies are here for 1 month, next time they'll go elsewhere....

You can answer and comment but please no flame (some ppl love flame here tongue.png)

yes, I used to eat there regularly. The prices and the small portions turned us off, and we have not been back in about two years. Too bad, as the good is quite lovely, and the location is great. Some restaurants seem to be pricing themselves out of the market. When the prices start to be the same as LA or London, will people still patronize these places? I think the food at Sabaenglae near Hinta Hinyae is just as good, at half, or a third of the price. Larger portions too.

Barrio Latino in Lamai changed hands a short while ago. Good food IMO before but no idea now.

I only tried it once, but felt the food was dry, greasy, overcooked, and just plain old inferior. Never went back. Great concept. Lamai could use a good mexican restaurant, or tapas joint. For that matter anywhere in Samui. For some reason, nobody does good mexican or tapas in Samui. Not even close. Why isn't anyone doing good fish tacos? How easy to source the fish. Easy to cook. Inexpensive to prepare. All that is needed is the tortillas, really. Fresh fish, cilantro, onions, salsa, and shredded cabbage. Wala. What is the story with that? Seems there is some money to be made there.

Italian.

For Italian, I frequent 2 places:

Prego at the Amari in Chaweng, very consistent, great variety & extensive wine list.Under same management / Chef for quite a few years now.

Antico Locanda in Bang Rak , rustic setting in my opinion, menu variety has been reduced, but still serving the mouth watering dishes,Also an extensive wine list, not always offered, same owner for many years.

Both Duomo and La Taverna are both infinitely better than Prego, and Antico. Both of those in my opinion are good, but not great. Both of these are GREAT. Outstanding home made pastas, outstanding pizzas, etc. Great appetizers. The best on the island I think. La Taverna is on soi green mango, and duomo is up the street between soi green mango, and soi solo, on the opposite side. As good as Italian gets on samui. I think if you like very standard italian you may like Prego. Nothing standard about either of these two. It is all superior.

also still looking for a good pizza place (reasonable/affordable prices..)

tried the empire guesthouse/restaurant but cannot really say, that it was good, just avererage... and 340 baht for a ham pizza..., we are still in thailand here...

thnks

2 farang guys are knocking out pizza from a cart within the little food area next to the Lady Boxing in Lamai. 80 - 120 Baht and I'm told they are seriously good. I went down to get one for myself a week or so ago at around 9:45 and they were packing up, out of dough.

Pizza Napoli (other side of boxing on the corner) is starting to ger a good reputation after changing hands some time back.

Best I know of in Lamai is Tropicana which has been there for longer than I can remember, fantastic pizza but you are looking at around 300 Baht.

German food.... Take the short road leading from the Outback bar toward the beach and there is a very thin food place at the end on the left hand side, perhaps 2-3 places in. Not been there in ages but good rustic German food and huge portions. Don't know the name but the menu is writen on a white board.

Eldorado is better than Tropicana, which is very standard pizza. Best on the island is La Taverna on Soi Green Mango in Chaweng. Unbelievably good pizza. Very large pie for about 300 baht. Worth it.

OK.... Here we go! In Maenam for great Indian food...

Babu's Indian Hot, Soi Maenam Resort Road...100 metres down on right. Turn at Family Mart toward the sea. (Near the big sign near Santi Buri Resort (headed toward Nathon) ...

Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner... Also does delivery to home or resort. .... Nathon to Bophut..... Drop by and pick up a menu! Free Wifi too!

There are two brilliant Indian restaurants in Lamai. The Clay Pot across from the pizza joint next to Lady Boxing area, and down the street is Live India, which is equally great. I lived and worked in India for a long time, and have eaten Indian all over the world, so I know good Indian. Best on Samui by a long shot, I think.

Italian.

For Italian, I frequent 2 places:

Prego at the Amari in Chaweng, very consistent, great variety & extensive wine list.Under same management / Chef for quite a few years now.

Antico Locanda in Bang Rak , rustic setting in my opinion, menu variety has been reduced, but still serving the mouth watering dishes,Also an extensive wine list, not always offered, same owner for many years.

Both Duomo and La Taverna are both infinitely better than Prego, and Antico. Both of those in my opinion are good, but not great. Both of these are GREAT. Outstanding home made pastas, outstanding pizzas, etc. Great appetizers. The best on the island I think. La Taverna is on soi green mango, and duomo is up the street between soi green mango, and soi solo, on the opposite side. As good as Italian gets on samui. I think if you like very standard italian you may like Prego. Nothing standard about either of these two. It is all superior.

Il Duomo used to be among my fave Italian places, nice thin crusted pizzas and good pastas. Since they changed owners, I have been back once and never again, the pizza were horrible and a seafood risotto had 2 shrimps in it and was horrendous. Never ever again! Wonder when you have been there last time.

My current fave Iatlian place is Juzza Pizza in Fishermans Village.

Edited by limbos

For those of us who spend time on Samui, sometimes it feels like a dessert desert. Not sure why there are so few competent bakers on Samui. I know the 5 stars make good desserts. And I know about the french bakery in Lamai and Chaweng. But, their selection is very standard. Also familiar with Magnolias in Chaweng. Their dessert is some of the best on the island. But, how can it be nearly impossible to find a good carrot cake on Samui? The Coffee Club has this anemic, dry thing that they call carrot cake. A tiny slice for 100 baht. And poor flavor, too sweet, and dried out. June's Art Cafe has some nice desserts and great food. Does anyone know of some places I am missing? There have to be good spots here. Anyone who was willing to open a coffee shop serving good coffee, real pots of gourmet green, white, herbal, and other kinds of teas, with great desserts would make a fortune here. Imagine a Kathmandu style bakery, with 40 different kinds of brownies, cookies, fruit pies, cakes, etc? Kind of a take off of the Urth Cafe concept in Los Angeles? What about home made ice cream, and fresh tropical fruit sorbets? A bloody fortune is there for the taking. Any takers? Any knowled

Angela's diner used to have a great carrot cake, plus good apple cake and assorted other deserts, Can't comment on current level, haven't been in a while. Can be found in Maenam, kind of opposite the PEA building, little bit further down the road, opposite side, coming from Chaweng.

• Like 1

Angela's diner used to have a great carrot cake, plus good apple cake and assorted other deserts, Can't comment on current level, haven't been in a while. Can be found in Maenam, kind of opposite the PEA building, little bit further down the road, opposite side, coming from Chaweng.

Good recommendation Limbos. thumbsup.gif

I have tried quite a lot of Angela's food over the years and I have only two complaints. smile.png

1 She is not close enough to where I live facepalm.gif

2 Sometimes the portions are so large that I struggle to finish them licklips.gif

Just to change the subject a tad - I am on my last jar of Branston Pickle.

I used to be able to buy it at Makro - sometimes at Tops. Neither has any at the moment. Any ideas folks?

I used to be able to buy it at Makro - sometimes at Tops. Neither has any at the moment. Any ideas folks?

That's a tad worrying...I'm in the same position and always got it from Makro,,,will be going to Samphet tomorrow so will let you know if they have it Trop

For good cakes, try Aroma boutique, end of Choengmon (opposite corner of Qsignature)...they have nuttelato cakes, marble cake, apple pie, almond cake...very tasty and you have it along with the best cappuccino of the island!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi folks,

I don't know if this has been covered before,but where is the best coffee on the island preferably Bophut to Ban Po in the north? I don't mean dark water but espresso. I am bringing my La Marzocco machine with me in the new year but don't want to make em anymore!

Thanks for the great forum threads.

Eataly Boutique near PTT station on Mae Nam side of Fisherman's Village turn off has imported from Italy frozen cakes. Must be 12 kinds, the one I've tried so far was really good! For coffee, the guitar shop near the Dusit resort in Mae Nam has a little coffee shop with very nice freshly roasted and ground Chiang Mai coffee drinks. Whole beans also available, very nice people.

I went to the new Japanese restaurant in Bophut (FV) for lunch today. I think that it was called Satsuman (?) It's opposite Waterfront resort.

Very good. clap2.gif

I had the tasty tuna sushi set with scrummy rice and miniudon. I am not an expert on Japanese food, but it seemed pretty authentic to me and definitely the best that I have had yet on Samui. licklips.gif

Two lunch sets with 4 Asahi beers - just over 700 baht. (15% discount for residents smile.png .)

Pleasant outlook and a decent place to eat. Nicely done out. If you like Japanese food - give it a try. thumbsup.gif

I have tried quite a lot of Angela's food over the years and I have only two complaints. smile.png

2 Sometimes the portions are so large that I struggle to finish them licklips.gif

Makro still had Branston on Sunday morning.

• Like 1

That's a tad worrying...I'm in the same position and always got it from Makro,,,will be going to Samphet tomorrow so will let you know if they have it Trop

Wife couldn't find in Samphet Trop...so Makro it is according to Springroll thumbsup.gif

Makro still had Branston on Sunday morning.

What is the PEA building? Can you be more specific with the directions? Near the bridge, or the PTT Station? Any help is appreciated.

PEA = Provincial Electric Authority. New building on your right hand side heading from Bophut to the centre of Maenam.

Angelia's Diner is on Corner of Soi 2 Maenam (second shop from corner, first shop is closed) .... to be exact! Has red sign....Open from 7 am to about 4 pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Tesco have the milk chocolate Bounty's back in, hooray!!

I bought just 3 (thinking about my fellow tv'ers) but thinking it will last for a while.

First one was gone before I got to the check out. Second one gone when I got home. Third one now gone.

3 hours!! What a FAIL.

• Like 1

Tesco have the milk chocolate Bounty's back in, hooray!!

I bought just 3 (thinking about my fellow tv'ers) but thinking it will last for a while.

First one was gone before I got to the check out. Second one gone when I got home. Third one now gone.

3 hours!! What a FAIL.

Just bought a whole box from Sydney + a box of cherry ripes.

Eataly Boutique near PTT station on Mae Nam side of Fisherman's Village turn off has imported from Italy frozen cakes. Must be 12 kinds, the one I've tried so far was really good! For coffee, the guitar shop near the Dusit resort in Mae Nam has a little coffee shop with very nice freshly roasted and ground Chiang Mai coffee drinks. Whole beans also available, very nice people.

I'm on the lookout for fresh roasted coffee beans, I passed today the guitar shop just after Honda shop coming from bophut but all I saw was guitars in that shop. I only looked from outside though. Where exactly is this place that you talk about?

If anyone knows where else I can get fresh roasted whole beans of coffee I would really apreciate it.

Thanks.