2013 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

I haven't been looking for Vegemite, but I haven't seen it either. If its here I may be forced to give it a try.

I took Samui Coconuts post as suggesting Tesco Bangrak to add to the 3, not that they had Marmite. I have looked and didn't see it.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been looking for Vegemite, but I haven't seen it either. If its here I may be forced to give it a try.

I took Samui Coconuts post as suggesting Tesco Bangrak to add to the 3, not that they had Marmite. I have looked and didn't see it.

Perhaps Rooo will give you a ticket to Ozzy land and back.... biggrin.pngwhistling.gif .... It's not same same,..... but same same but different .... Never seen it here, either .... wai2.gif

I don't want to go off topic, but you can always be game & try vegemite.whistling.gif

w00t.gifbah.gifsick.gif ........ ....... ... imitations will not do.... biggrin.pngofftopic.giftongue.png.....

There are three members I know of, heading to UK soon, perhaps they can bring back a bunch and stock up our cupboards ,..... whistling.gif

Following this topic closely Jim.

Vegemite: Not the same but close enough to take the edge of a craving. Avoid NZ marmite at all costs though.

Daughter arriving from your neck of the woods on Wednesday, asked her to bring you a jar.

• Like 2

I don't want to go off topic, but you can always be game & try vegemite.whistling.gif

w00t.gifbah.gifsick.gif ........ ....... ... imitations will not do.... biggrin.pngofftopic.giftongue.png.....

There are three members I know of, heading to UK soon, perhaps they can bring back a bunch and stock up our cupboards ,..... whistling.gif

Following this topic closely Jim.

Vegemite: Not the same but close enough to take the edge of a craving. Avoid NZ marmite at all costs though.

Had to check that about NZ stuff, they add Caramel .... That would certainly make it lose it's savory taste...bah.gif

Interesting read here on the differences! http://britishfood.about.com/od/diningdrinkingtradition/a/marmitevvegemite.htm

Daughter arriving from your neck of the woods on Wednesday, asked her to bring you a jar.

Wow! I will be forever indebted to you. Well at least until it runs out. :-)

Thank you.

Wow! I will be forever indebted to you. Well at least until it runs out. :-)

Thank you.

Ah.... if it's that scarce, perhaps one jar for everyone please....thumbsup.gif Marmite that is... not that imitation stuff biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

oh a side of homemade crumpets please.... that goes well together! tongue.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Well my mission was fruitless or should that be yeastless. Today I went to Tescos in Lamai and Nathon. I also went to Coco in Buddy's. The previous couple of days I've been to Tesco Chaweng and the 2 Tescos in Bangrak and Tops in Chaweng. :-(

When I last saw Marmite a month ago it was almost halfway down from the tills on the right (aisle 9?) @ shoulder height (125g bottles-cannot recall price but was expensive).

I have never ran out in 13+years although i did go a few months without proper t bags.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Sardines in Olive Oil

After a decade or more of washing tomato sauce off & replacing with olive oil i'm pleased to advise everyone that I finally found the real mccoy in Big C this afternoon in a traditional tin @THB 52 for 120g. They're the same (Red & Yellow) brand as I had previously been using and are on the extreme right of the "Canned Fish" display. Be careful as some of the tins had a "...and chili" option!

Had to check that about NZ stuff, they add Caramel .... That would certainly make it lose it's savory taste...bah.gif

Rancid Nutella which has to be spread just as thick. Marmite (UK) and Vegemite are not cheap but a jar does go a long long way. If I do happen to be using Vegemite then I sprinkle over some freshly ground black pepper, yum.

My friend in SYD (butcher) won an award last year for his pork, cheese and Vegemite sausages.

Edited by notmyself

When I last saw Marmite a month ago it was almost halfway down from the tills on the right (aisle 9?) @ shoulder height (125g bottles-cannot recall price but was expensive).

I have never ran out in 13+years although i did go a few months without proper t bags.

HTH

Any particular supermarket? whistling.gif

HTH

Any particular supermarket? whistling.gif

Many things on Samui are caught in a fractured supply chain from the mainland. As big as TescoLotus is, it doesn't have a stock holding of a month's supply for the entire country. I try to keep a spare or backup of everything I use so if I cannot find something for a month I will not run out.
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgAEY3BqDd8

And...

According to the marketing slogan it is a taste that you either love or hate. But Danes will no longer get the chance to make up their own minds on Marmite after the British delicacy was banned under food safety laws.

The strongly flavoured dark brown spread made from brewer's yeast has joined Rice Crispies, Shreddies, Horlicks and Ovaltine prohibited in Denmark under legislation forbidding the sale of food products with added vitamins as threat to public health.

And the best bit...

A spokesman for the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration said: "I cannot comment on the Marmite case because our expert is away until Thursday."

lol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8533896/Marmite-made-illegal-in-Denmark.html

• Like 2

And...

According to the marketing slogan it is a taste that you either love or hate. But Danes will no longer get the chance to make up their own minds on Marmite after the British delicacy was banned under food safety laws.

The strongly flavoured dark brown spread made from brewer's yeast has joined Rice Crispies, Shreddies, Horlicks and Ovaltine prohibited in Denmark under legislation forbidding the sale of food products with added vitamins as threat to public health.

And the best bit...

A spokesman for the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration said: "I cannot comment on the Marmite case because our expert is away until Thursday."

lol

Great - more for us thumbsup.gif

(Send them Vegemite sick.gif )

• Like 2

Great - more for us thumbsup.gif

Seems it was only a small expat market according to the article which would have turned into a black (somewhat Marmite coloured) market along with people bringing it from the UK. Somehow I doubt the consumption within Denmark has dropped by much.

(Send them Vegemite sick.gif )

CROWN Princess Mary may have to resort to pickled herring on toast for breakfast, after news that Vegemite and Marmite have been banned in Denmark because they contain added vitamins.

British news reports say the popular yeast extract spreads are prohibited in Denmark under legislation forbidding the sale of food products with added vitamins as a threat to public health.

[...]

"The Danish Food and Veterinary Administration has not received an application for marketing in Denmark of Marmite or similar products with added vitamins or minerals."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/archive/news/danish-law-makes-unhappy-little-vegemites/story-e6frez7r-1226063524801

• Like 1

Well done Neilly. 190b for a 125g jar, now selling for 400b from me as I bought them all!! Ha ha ha. I bought some cheesy Quavers as well, although I was too late for the pickled onion Monster Munch.

Rooo, I will still have the Marmite from your daughter and you will get a free lunch for your troubles.

P.S. I didn't buy all the Marmite, there were about 10-12 jars left.

Well done Neilly. 190b for a 125g jar, now selling for 400b from me as I bought them all!! Ha ha ha. I bought some cheesy Quavers as well, although I was too late for the pickled onion Monster Munch.

Rooo, I will still have the Marmite from your daughter and you will get a free lunch for your troubles.

P.S. I didn't buy all the Marmite, there were about 10-12 jars left.

Just up the road from me but not seen the place. Were the old quad bike place was?

I don't know Lamai, so I have no idea where the Quad bike place is. It is directly opposite the One Way pub as Neilly said. The shop IS the car rental shop.

Those buildings were constructed over the last few months. Behind it was the quad bike track.

Just up the road from me but not seen the place. Were the old quad bike place was?

Yep, that's the place thumbsup.gif

Seen quite a few of these come and go over the years. The availability of so many of the products in the big stores at lower prices makes it very hard for them to survive. Marmite is a good example as it can usually be found in various supermarkets so the only time the vender will sell any is when they ALL run out which is just not going to be that often. Heinz brand baked beans has got to be a winner I think. Ayam brand are too sweet for my palate, Brooks brand are much better (Australian?) but when you want a taste from home you want it from your home and not a Aussie. friend's home. Beanz meanz Heinz for most Brits. Quavers is something I delve into big time when I visit the UK but no way is one packet enough which makes buying them here a rather expensive treat. Walkers Marmite chrisps would be nice but not seen them here ever. This place is just up the road from me, I can walk there in 10 minutes but never heard of it. When you are trying to sell to such a small market you need everyone to know about it.

Edited by notmyself
  • Like 2

I am currently in the UK and I will be bringing a 250 g jar of marmite for the first person to post a request on TV after this post. smile.png

Sorry - I do not have any room for more because of the 4 kilos of 'real' cadbury's chocolate thumbsup.gif (I only have hand luggage.)

Thanks Trop, I might give it a go, I'm game for this soft English stuff.If I don't like it, I have a recipient.wink.png

oh darn...w00t.gif

..... too slow on this offer... but Rooo won't appreciate the finer quality....of Marmite.... tongue.png.... really you won't Rooo.... stick to your vegemite biggrin.png