Strange Psu Problem

endure

Crikey. What's the MTBF measured in? Minutes?

bought loads of these cheap power supply for office computers, never had a single problem with them however nowadays i take the ones with bigger fan for 320 baht 555+

bought loads of these cheap power supply for office computers, never had a single problem with them ....

If you never have a problem, why have you bought loads?

I've been using the same power supply day and night for 6 years with just a 6 month break in the middle. It did cost quite a bit more than 300B though. I dont see myself ever buying a power supply that cheap.

these cheap PSU are guaranteed 3 years anyway so no need to worry about the MTBF ;-)

Wonderful! When your mainboard, CPU, hard drive, and graphics card are toasted by your cheap PSU, you'll save B300 if it was under warranty!

You might read the discussion here: http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2163799.html. One of many sources on the 'net if you google around.

these cheap PSU are guaranteed 3 years anyway so no need to worry about the MTBF ;-)

Wonderful! When your mainboard, CPU, hard drive, and graphics card are toasted by your cheap PSU, you'll save B300 if it was under warranty!

You might read the discussion here: http://forums.anandt...t-2163799.html. One of many sources on the 'net if you google around.

Can a bad PSU take down a mobo? Well. yes of course it can. A switched mode PSU with 240V AC input has 400 volts DC floating around inside it. Doesn't matter whether it's cheap or expensive - if it goes there's 400 volts just waiting to fry your mobo.

Anyway as I said I fixed it - cost was nothing.

Doesn't matter whether it's cheap or expensive - if it goes there's 400 volts just waiting to fry your mobo.

You've entirely missed the point that an expensive quality PSU is ever so much less likely to go and fry your mobo and cause other problems. Don't make me google around for you. In fact, by their greater efficiency, the quality PSUs can end up costing about the same as the cheap ones.

I've seen and experienced the difference and I would NEVER put a cheap power supply in any machine I'm building. I'll skimp on most anything but that. Good buyer's guide here: http://www.overclock...ad.php?t=589708

Edited by JSixpack

A long time ago in a land far away I used to be a bench technician fixing computers and other stuff down to component level. We were a major distributor for a variety of manufacturers from Commodore to Compaq, Atari to IBM. One of the things we used to fix were switched mode PSUs. They all failed some time no matter how high a quality they were. We all hated fixing them. They are dangerous little boxes. We had a special bench where we fixed nothing else. The ceiling above that bench was full of holes where missing one faulty component sent the whole lot shooting up into the air.

I think the people complaining about these power suply never actually tried them or monitored them and refer to bad experiences from the past, a time when cheap PSU we giving very wrong voltages like 13V on the 12V rail etc, these were damaging the components very fast(mainboard, hardrive etc).

nowadays cheap PSU(i'm using one with big fan in my work tower) are all PFC(active or passive) with high efficiency so the power supply is cool.

anyway the best test is the multimeter test, these PSU usually start on 12V rail at around 11.8V and stabilize around 12.20V, don't forget electronic can handle +-5% voltage, i just ran a test, on the desktop 12.15V, when the machine is on max load(cpu etc) the voltage goes to 12.09V.

so as you can see it's perfoming very well and is very stable(machine is OC @ 10%).

A long time ago in a land far away I used to be a bench technician fixing computers and other stuff down to component level. We were a major distributor for a variety of manufacturers from Commodore to Compaq, Atari to IBM. One of the things we used to fix were switched mode PSUs. They all failed some time no matter how high a quality they were. We all hated fixing them. They are dangerous little boxes. We had a special bench where we fixed nothing else. The ceiling above that bench was full of holes where missing one faulty component sent the whole lot shooting up into the air.

OEMs are notorious for cutting corners on power supplies. They are never best quality, period, and the companies make lots on service. You wanna hear tales of smoke, fire, and early failure, google around at cheap PSUs--compare w/ what you get when you google good quality PSUs.

But, yes, no electronic component is immortal. I congratulate you on that remarkable discovery by inference from working on antiquated inferior components. Meanwhile, your cheap power supply fan got loud and you've sprayed WD40 in it and ultimately had to replace it whereas a good quality power supply would have had no problem--yet you defend cheap power supplies, so there's no hope for you on this point, is there?

Do it your way on the Atari model, who cares, really? smile.png Me, I'll continue using brand names with good specs & reviews. Got a good 5 years of rainy seasons on my 80+ Silverstone now, running great, still as silent as ever, been through 2 mainboard upgrades with me, and will probably power my obituary emails triggered by a dead man switch.

Not atypical tale of woe:

I fried 3 cheap PSUs in less than a year, and lost a cpu and motherboard in the process. I spent twice as much replacing the CPU and motherboard than all the cheap PSU costs combined. If I had just spent $30-$40 more on the PSU I would probably still have it today.

http://www.tomshardw...iew,2916-6.html

Edited by JSixpack

I think the people complaining about these power suply never actually tried them or monitored them and refer to bad experiences from the past, a time when cheap PSU we giving very wrong voltages like 13V on the 12V rail etc, these were damaging the components very fast(mainboard, hardrive etc).

Actually you've never actually monitored yours in a meaningful fashion. Here's what monitoring means:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5464/seasonic-platinum-series-860w/5

nowadays cheap PSU(i'm using one with big fan in my work tower) are all PFC(active or passive) with high efficiency

No, there's a reason PSUs are rated or not. Yours evidently isn't rated and to say it's "high efficiency" is just a nice dream to justify cutting corners on cost.