Information On Relocating To Thailand With Dependent Partner, Not Spous

Hi there,

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a thousand times but I can't seem to find the info by doing a search through topics. I am a US citizen who migrated to Australia a few years ago on a partner (de factor) visa with my Australian partner (not same sex). The Australian non-profit agency I work for is now looking to relocate me to Thailand in its first regional post - we will be hosted by a partner NGO in-country. The partner NGO will assist me with a work permit and residency permit. My question is this: if my partner and I are not legally married, will we have any hassles getting a residency permit for him? I realize he won't be able to work, so I will be the breadwinner. We've been together for 7 years, co-habiting for most of those, but we have no intentions of getting married.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks! BTW we've both lived in Asia for many years, but in Cambodia, where getting a 'work permit' was much simpler than in Thailand!!

Cheers,

Rasmoo

LiteBeer is on the ball. The subtleties of defacto relationships may be recognised by some western government/administrations, but...

Yes, Cambo (almost) too easy with the annual ~$300 multi-entry 'business' visa. AA

Perhaps he could volunteer (no pay) to work for the NGO. He could pay for the work permit and visa/extension himself.

Hey Ubon, are you forgetting that for an NGO to get work permits and visa's is not the easiest thing in the World? They are restricted by the numbers that the Thai labour department can issue the same as Companies are

Hey Ubon, are you forgetting that for an NGO to get work permits and visa's is not the easiest thing in the World? They are restricted by the numbers that the Thai labour department can issue the same as Companies are

Interesting, I didn't realise that was the case for volunteers.

I know there is a difference in the permission to stay they get, depending on if the had of the department of the government agency they work with issues a letter confirming the volunteer. They get only 90 day extensions without and 1 year extensions with such letter.

whistling.gif He has no status as a dependent uless married.

Thai law specifies married partners, umnarried is just another person who needs to get his/her visa himself or himself.

Forget the domestic partner thing, it doesn't apply in Thailand.

I believe the law always states partners are De Jure, by law, or a legal marriage.