Availability Of Glucosamine/chondroitin

richardjm65

The glucosamine/chondroitin supplements are not really effective and studies have shown it is merely a placebo effect. Google it. For me they did not work even over an extended period of consumption and honestly the products do not come cheap. Five months ago I did the hyaluronic acid injections for OA in my knees and had reasonable results. I definitely can walk 18 holes of golf completely pain free which I could not before. Studies have shown that it works reasonably well for those without advanced degradation of the knee or what would be considered a younger cross section of people with OA. I am 51 and it helped but there is precaution to be taken which I was not made aware of nor did I run across in my online research prior to starting the treatment. The skill and care with which the injections are given is quite important as I later found out. Fortunately I did not have any lasting adverse effects but if the hyaluronic acid is injected anywhere outside of the knee pocket, it can cause severe and permanent damage to the ligaments or tendons. For me what happened was a tightening around the outside of the knee extending to the top (injection site is on the outside). It was not possible for me to fold my leg all the way due to this tightening. With time this subsided but I would recommend caution in doctor selection and to look for any such symptoms during the treatments and stop them if this happens. I stopped after 4 weekly treatments skipping the 5th. Evidently, the treatment range is actually 3-5 weeks anyway. You may be safer off and have the same results with 3 weeks of treatment as well as saving a bit of money. Shots are 2000 THB each so I spent 16000 THB for the four weekly rounds. Good luck.

Asked several of my docs and none would recommend.

Edited by gguy

"Its use as a therapy for osteoarthritis appears safe, but there is no substantive evidence for its effectiveness. A systematic review found that effect sizes from glucosamine supplementation were highest in industry-funded studies and lowest in independent studies. [15] A Cochrane 2005 meta-analysis of glucosamine therapy for osteoarthritis found that only the Rotta brand of glucosamine appeared to be superior to placebo in the treatment of pain and functional impairment resulting from symptomatic osteoarthritis.[16] However, when the low quality and older studies were discounted and only those using the highest-quality design were considered, there was no difference from placebo treatment.[17]"

"Due to these controversial results, further high-quality reviews and meta-analyses have evaluated the efficacy of glucosamine,[23] including the National Institutes of Health which funded a multicenter clinical trial (the GAIT trial) studying knee pain in groups treated with chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, and the combination, as well as both placebo and celecoxib.[24] The results of this 6-month trial indicated that patients taking glucosamine HCl, chondroitin sulfate, or a combination of the two had no statistically significant improvement in their symptoms compared to patients taking a placebo.'

I am not suggesting placebo's don't work. Just not for all of us. I tried it and had zero improvement.

Edited by rucus7

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered some glucosamine to see if it does something for my shoulder it was only 10gbp inclusive shipping for 90 1500mg tabs so it did not bust the bank. I will see if it helps.. But even if the shoulder clears up completely it might not have been caused by the glucosamine.