Wireless Security Systems

longball53098

Due to recent events in my neighborhood I once again will be looking at a security system solution for added protection.

I want to hear from anyone who has purchased and installed a wireless system. I am specifically looking at a DIY system. In a previous life I was in this field and I am capable of doing this myself. I want a solution that has IP and GSM capabilities. I already have checked the web on local suppliers and most I have seen so far are selling as an installed system and they want to sell the monitoring solution also. I would prefer to connect it to a GSM/GPRS connection and IP connection and have it report to me or another reliable party.

A few of the brands I have looked at? RSC group, Honeywell, DSC and Visonic. My guess is that any system sold here has the usual higher cost due to being imported so I amy purchase outside of Thailand and bring it in using a "mule".

Feeel free to add any info here especially if you already have a system that meets this description

I've nearly finished building my house and already had conduit put in place for the cables etc. Thought towards the end of the build I would just go out and purchase an alarm system and fit it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything that is any good. I'm gonna wait till my next trip back to the UK and bring a full system back with me.

Same here, I had to have my system sent over from the UK. Very good wireless system (on the 868MHz frequency with GSM. No IP though (yet). It has saved me once when someone broke in a back door while we were away (I received SMS's and notified security and police), luckily the burglar never managed to get anything but next door were not so lucky.

http://www.quicksafe.co.uk/esp-infinite-prime-kit-wes.htm

Very configurable, loads of add-on sensors, X10 etc and reasonably priced. Only advise is to try and stay away from using PIR's as can get false alarms in Thailand due to gekko, spiders etc.

We have Rokonet Wisdom system (Maxwell Security). Had it for about four years now. In that time I have only had to replace the detector batteries, no other problems and it has never gone of when it shouldn't.

It is a wireless system. Maxwell.co.th and you can change the website to english.

It will phone me if it goes off. I can arm and disarm it from my phone. I can zone it eg just set it to armed downstairs only at night.

I have years of experience with various security cameras that send MMS messages to a mobile phone when triggered. I like the instantaneous ability to see a picture on my phone of what set it off and the confidence of security when I am not there. I have good experience ordering such cameras from the extensive collection listed on dhgate in China that are sent to me in Thailand with no duties and free express courier shipping. For under 10K baht just drop such a camera where you need it with a sim card and you have secured an area than can run off-grid for months at a time on batteries. An important downside is like another mentioned is most are PIR based and can trigger on something as benign as a moth flying by at night to break your sleep which is a real nuisance.

We have Rokonet Wisdom system (Maxwell Security). Had it for about four years now. In that time I have only had to replace the detector batteries, no other problems and it has never gone of when it shouldn't.

It is a wireless system. Maxwell.co.th and you can change the website to english.

It will phone me if it goes off. I can arm and disarm it from my phone. I can zone it eg just set it to armed downstairs only at night.

Is this the batteries on the door sensors ?....got the same system in place and I know this sounds like a daft question, but HTF do you get the plastic enclosure open to replace the battery without breaking the enclosure..LOL...also were do you get the long life batteries they specify locally

I can do the PIR detectors no problem, but the switches on the doors have me baffled....which is not hard...biggrin.png

Edited by Soutpeel

Is this the batteries on the door sensors ?....got the same system in place and I know this sounds like a daft question, but HTF do you get the plastic enclosure open to replace the battery without breaking the enclosure..LOL...also were do you get the long life batteries they specify locally

I can do the PIR detectors no problem, but the switches on the doors have me baffled....which is not hard...biggrin.png

Yes, door sensors have a battery in them. You can normally see a little indent on the top or bottom of the case where a screwdriver can be used to pop it open. The batteries in my system are a 1/2AA 3.6V which can be tricky to find here but a good electrical supplier normally has them.

I can do the PIR detectors no problem, but the switches on the doors have me baffled....which is not hard...biggrin.png...thanks for the info

Yes, door sensors have a battery in them. You can normally see a little indent on the top or bottom of the case where a screwdriver can be used to pop it open. The batteries in my system are a 1/2AA 3.6V which can be tricky to find here but a good electrical supplier normally has them.

Yeap tried with the screwdriver in the ident and still will not open, but if this is way to open them, will try again an push a bit harder, didnt want to force something and break it as I am apt at doing...biggrin.png

Edited by Soutpeel

• 1 month later...

there has been a few break-ings near us so we are going to install a security system,can you give us aprox cost for the system you have as there is a maxwell store near us.we did get a quote from an installing firm but trying to understand what the package was what they wanted to sell you and not what i wanted just put me off.quote for the package which was for 4 zones was 32,000bht,i had already looked at a package from the uk.[5 zones] 12,200bht.so i expect they are suffering from a farang virus which effects the brain.any info will be greatfully recieved.

We've had the same Rokonet system for nearly 6 years. I dislike the idea of having bars and a child. We paid around the same for a wireless system. CP, 3 door sensors, 4 motion sensors. Never had a moth set it off but sometimes we "accidently" set it off just as a reminder...

We've had the same Rokonet system for nearly 6 years. I dislike the idea of having bars and a child. We paid around the same for a wireless system. CP, 3 door sensors, 4 motion sensors. Never had a moth set it off but sometimes we "accidently" set it off just as a reminder...

thanks for that thats 2 tv.members recomend this system.so the price of 32,000bht is about it.

maybe it my brain that has an apple virus[cider]wai.gif

I just ordered a security system from aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/store/514350

The price was $92 and i shall be fun to test it and see if it is good enough or just junk... They also mark the price down and send as gift.

we wont buy nothing online got to see it first,i will look at your order later but at that price dont expect too much

you now have to wait for customs to get intouch $200 please.

I have installed two Visonic wireless systems, complete solutions for protection of openings and PIR motion sensing, and with auto dialers... back in the States. They are great, once the PIRs are adjusted to each room. Not sure how the wireless signals will propagate through the tip concrete construction here, tho. thats my one concern I'd love to hear about from those who've installed them here.

I have installed two Visonic wireless systems, complete solutions for protection of openings and PIR motion sensing, and with auto dialers... back in the States. They are great, once the PIRs are adjusted to each room. Not sure how the wireless signals will propagate through the tip concrete construction here, tho. thats my one concern I'd love to hear about from those who've installed them here.

Never had a problem with the pir units reporting back to the main unit, low battery to armed or tamper but occasionally can be a bugger to disarm from the driveway with the key fob remote.

I can highly recommend this system from this Ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBAYS-MOST-ADVANCED-WIRELESS-HOME-SECURITY-SYSTEM-ALARM-/360316845136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e48ebc50

He has many options and you can add or delete sensors/sirens/remotes as required. Excellent after sales support. He is located in Canada so shipping to Thailand can be costly. I believe he offers free shipping to Canada and US address though so if you have "mule" that might be the cheapest way to go.

I have a system that has 3 PIR's, 10 window/door sensors, one remote keypad, 2 key chain remotes, 2 sirens and I think by the time I paid the shipping and all it was around $350 ( so about 10,000 baht)

Have had it in place for a year now and no issues at all. One of the remotes sirens is a long way from the base unit and no problem with wireless signal on it.

It has a "Home" arm and an "Away" arm, so you can only have the window/door sensors on while at home in the evening and then Away to activate the PIR's at night. It also has a door chime option that will sound whenever a door is opened.......a bit like a 7-11 ding dong sound I find annoying but my wife loves it tongue.png

This is my post from 2010 when I had my Wisdom system installed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/380659-which-home-security-system/?p=4459704

I no longer refer anyone to Andre at MasterSafety Co in Pattaya. sad.png

(For clarification, I am still VERY happy with the Wisdom alarm system, just no so with the installation company).

I would like to find someone (another alarm company in Pattaya) who is both reasonable and attentive to service and maintenance for these Rokonet/Wisdom systems. There are changes and additions I would like to make.

In my experience, getting SERVICE or MAINTENANCE HELP on anything you buy in Thailand is almost impossible. Everyone wants to make the sale, but I can't get people to maintain and service what they sell or install.

Edited by chaihot

I have the Visonic Powermax complete system installed, and very satisfied with it. It has all the functions, and some more that the OP mentions in his post.

Visonis is the leader in wireless home alarms.

I orderd from Sapphire alarms in the UK, as they sell the 868 Mhz version and ship to Thailand. Can pay with Paypal.

However Visonic Powermax has also a distributor in Thailand, but they sell the same system in 433 Mhz.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/380659-which-home-security-system/?p=4459704

(For clarification, I am still VERY happy with the Wisdom alarm system, just no so with the installation company).

I would like to find someone (another alarm company in Pattaya) who is both reasonable and attentive to service and maintenance for these Rokonet/Wisdom systems. There are changes and additions I would like to make.

In my experience, getting SERVICE or MAINTENANCE HELP on anything you buy in Thailand is almost impossible. Everyone wants to make the sale, but I can't get people to maintain and service what they sell or install.

I have just seen this ... This evening I'll be back home and have the phone number of the company who looks after our WISDOM ... I'll either post or PM you the number

Look up a company called Domotica Ltd in Pattaya on the web...the boss... Cristian is good....had a Wisdom system put in my place about 5 years ago, not the cheapest installation/kit +/- THB 60,000...but a great system...

customer service wise very good... I work away a lot and Mrs soutpeel is in the house on her own and had problems with the system while I was away (something she pushed..LOL) and in typical Thai fashion wouldnt phone the company to ask for help (face and all) she was trying to get me to fix over the phone, I dropped an email to Cristian, explaining the problem and I was away and himself and one of his techs jumped in the car and did a 60 km round trip to sort the system out for her on a saturday evening and never asked for a THB

I have actually got them coming over to house in a week or so to do a " 5 yearly" service check on the system...email Cristian last week or so..came back to me within the hour and got something set up for the visit with my Mrs, as I am away working again LOL

Edited by Soutpeel

I have just seen this ... This evening I'll be back home and have the phone number of the company who looks after our WISDOM ... I'll either post or PM you the number

I have this address ittikorn at maxwell.co.th ... he has been very helpful to us

Same here, I have this set for about 4 years and i'm very happy with it.

I have also the GSM module to get phone calls when the alarms goes of.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

anyone know where I could purchase 2 outside mount (hard wired) motion sensor lights for my home?

I bought 2 last month from Global House.

Do motion sensor lights work correctly in Thailand? I thought in hot and humid weather they didn't work as well.

anyone know where I could purchase 2 outside mount (hard wired) motion sensor lights for my home?

I bought 2 last month from Global House.

Do motion sensor lights work correctly in Thailand? I thought in hot and humid weather they didn't work as well.

Passive Infrared ones require at least 2c temperature difference between the background temp each beam normally 'sees' and body temp of the perp, so yes, effectiveness can suffer here.

I remember seeing Honeywell and Visonic gear in our family house when I was young, but these days everything is video with motion sensing. Not wireless as per OP request, but dirt cheap, reliable, not as susceptible to false positives as detection zones can be easily/precisely defined, and they can help ID the perp too smile.png

16 SD cameras with a DVR/controller and some cables is only around 30K Baht, and many systems support GSM for SMS notifications and ethernet for email alerts, inbuilt webcam server, and/or streaming to services like ustream too smile.png

Edited by IMHO