Renting An Apartment/condo For Short Term

MaxPag

Hello everyone,

I know this kind of thread can be found a lot here, however, much of them point to serviced apartments/condos or hotels. And this is not really what I'm looking for.

I just would like to find a simple, classic apartment or condo in Bangkok for my 2 week stay there (June 26th to July 9th-10th).

So, if you know website or people that offer such short terms rentals, without all the extra (maid, breakfast, ...) it would be great, my "requirements" are the following :

• High Speed Internet Access, can be via Ethernet cable or WiFi, do not really matter ;
  • Located near a BTS station (max 10 min walk), but closer the better ;
  • A/C ;
  • TV (cable optional) ;
  • Charges included (water and electricity), it is not that'll consume a lot, I'll not be there much except to sleep, but I want my stay to be as "worry-free" as I can.
  • Can be a studio, or a 1 bedroom apartment/condo, not more.
  • Not much to say about space, don't matter much.

So the basics of the basics, no need of pool, fitness, (I'll go to a gym in BKK), maid, breakfast, ...

Regarding my budget, is 4500 ฿ maximum per week, obviously no minimum smile.png

Thank you.

Max

Edited by MaxPag

4.500 is maximum???blink.png

Good luck!

That is per week, which is more than doable of course.

The big "problem" here is the 2 week thing is tough. A month and you can get good deals, two weeks you will probably be paying close to a nightly rate at most places (I did say most). Anyway, I have a few longer term recommendations, but this i'll leave to others. I'd just shop on agoda if I were you.

2 weeks? You will either be paying per night or per week.

The fact you need to be walking distance to BTS at that price range is the killer.

That works out to 640baht per night basically.

Do you think there are many places with A/C / WIFI / walking distance to BTS at that price?

You need to adjust some of your considerations. Whether that is price or location.

Okay, so that's what I understood, the 2 weeks is a killer thing.

Well basically what I can do, is rent the apartment for the month, since I have to come back from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to take my flight back home, now the question is, will the landlord allow the apartment to be empty for 2 weeks, even if I paid the monthly price? Obviously, I'll make sure the landlord is aware of this, but I was wondering if this was possible.

Regarding the budget it was 4500 a week * 4 = 18 000, let's round it at 20 000 ฿ maximum for the month (June 26th to July 25th-26th).

Edited by MaxPag

Well, I don't want an hotel or serviced apartments, because I would like to be living around locals, not foreigners. Well, since it will be pain in the ass to find an apartment for 2 weeks, my budget is 20 000 ฿ for the entire month.

I contacted few landlord before, for the two weeks rental, I'll contact them again to see what they think about me renting the apartment for a month and it staying empty for 2 weeks. If it's okay, and they agree to make me a one month contract, I'll do that. I found few of apartments, meeting my criteria, but only for a monthly rental and within my budget of 20 000 ฿.

If you want to stay around locals, why do you want to stay within walking distance of a BTS stop?

You are here for 2 weeks. You can't exactly "go local" on a 2 week holiday staying in a place near the BTS. Be realistic.

For 10k a week you got plenty of options.

What exactly are you planning to do in the 2 weeks in BKK?

I totally understand that if I stay near the BTS, I'll obviously be around a lot less Thais, but I'm looking for something balanced, I have more chances to be around Thai people, if I'm in a "classic" apartment, than if I go the an hotel, where only the staff might be Thai.

If I wanted to be surrounded by 100% of Thais, I wouldn't go to Bangkok. I'm mostly planing on visiting, hanging with my friend that will live there soon, and meet people.

Well, I don't want an hotel or serviced apartments, because I would like to be living around locals, not foreigners. Well, since it will be pain in the ass to find an apartment for 2 weeks, my budget is 20 000 ฿ for the entire month.

I contacted few landlord before, for the two weeks rental, I'll contact them again to see what they think about me renting the apartment for a month and it staying empty for 2 weeks. If it's okay, and they agree to make me a one month contract, I'll do that. I found few of apartments, meeting my criteria, but only for a monthly rental and within my budget of 20 000 ฿.

Just trust me, don't bother contacting anybody about anything like that. You'd be lucky as hell to get a response if you told them you want a year lease. Just forget it. What is wrong with agoda?

I totally understand that if I stay near the BTS, I'll obviously be around a lot less Thais, but I'm looking for something balanced, I have more chances to be around Thai people, if I'm in a "classic" apartment, than if I go the an hotel, where only the staff might be Thai.

If I wanted to be surrounded by 100% of Thais, I wouldn't go to Bangkok. I'm mostly planing on visiting, hanging with my friend that will live there soon, and meet people.

Why not stay somewhere not near the BTS then? There are other ways to get around the city. If you want to avoid tourist areas, then why do you need BTS access? You sound like you don't know what you want.

I know some places you can rent cheaply by the week/month in your price range in Bangkok. Not on a BTS and around "real Thais"

Edited by Metapod

Well, It's my fault, I've not been clear enough on some things.

I'm basically the kind of guy that love walking. I did most on my visit of NYC on foot, using the subway to go somewhere, when that was really spread, but I'll basically walk a lot around the city, but I just want to be able to leave home, and if I need to go at the opposite of the city, do it quickly, in order to compensate the time I'll walk around when I'll be at the place.

There is also the fact, that I will be visiting during the day, but during the night, I'll go enjoy the night life with friends, that is also why I want to be able to have a BTS near by, being able to go back home fast, and go to the place with my friends, quickly as well.

I choose the BTS for is simpleness, that was kind off real special in NYC to find the right subway, and everything, so I'm just being careful about it.

So, you are totally right, I never been to Bangkok, so I trust you on this. Where would those places be?

As for KV Mansion, look really good, it would be better for me to rent for a month, rather than for two weeks again, that is the problem.

@Denim : Thank, I keep note of it, really good quality/price ratio :)

@Mooner : I found Diamond Residence, a really nice place :) But I didn't find ant website or information about SB Mansion.

I took a look at both those sites, and it appear that they have a lot of stuff, and Airbnb is really convenient, a lot of apartments/condos.

As for the security deposit, I've seen as much as 8 500 Baht, but it's usually more around 3 000 Baht. Regarding the scam thing I don't know, that might be a risk...

I'd like to hear back about the walking idea. I think you'll find that walking around in Bangkok in the daytime is a horrible experience of heat, humidity, noise, bad pavements and endless exhaust fumes. I also like to walk or ride a bike, but Bangkok is simply not made for that. I personally won't walk more than 500-1000 meters a time, it's that bad at least for me and sweat will be a serious issue. Regarding the living around Thai thing. There are plenty of Thais everywhere in Bangkok even the touristy areas. Have you been to Thailand before? You won't just waltz in as a tourist in a Thai area and be treated as a long lost friend. But for your purposes I'd definitely go with Air BnB which has locals renting out their places and probably some of them will be welcoming and hang out with you.

Well, heat and humidity are not going to be that much a problem, I'm quite okay with those, and we have a lot more humidity in summer in Belgum, so it could be a little worse in Belgium than in Bangkok. Noise, well, it's a city, so it's normal, and to be expected. But, in anyway, sweating will be an issue, but, there's not much to do about it except staying in an air conditioned room all day.

I never been to Thailand, but I also don't expect locals to treat meat as a long lost friends ;)

Anyway, Airbnb is really nice I have chosen some apartments.

Well MaxPag, it sounds like you have a sense of adventure so you shouldn't have any problems during your trip. However, Mr Hammer is 100 percent correct. I like to walk too but Thailand heat and humidity was too much for me, having lived there for several years. Been to Belgium too and from what I can tell it is no match for Bangkok!! smile.png

Well, I do have the sense of adventure, that is what is actually the most interesting about it. As for walking, I'll probably to try I avoid it as much as I can, but sometimes for non-touristy stuff, it might not be avoidable, I know there are a lot of means of transportation, but having the time to see what is around you is nice too, so I'll decide once there what to do regarding that.

Regarding Belgian weather, it depends when you came, we usually have crappy and rainy summer, but when it does decide to be beautiful outside, it's really hot and wet. But, it's quite rare, I had Dover (NH) to get use to that kind of weather.

I like walking too, and Bangkok is very hot and humid during the summertime. However, if you are ending up back at your apartment where you can take a shower and relax in some A/C, then it should not be a problem.

Just be careful about walking to an appointment. In that case, I would think about taking a taxi or Sky Train. It is not so much fun to arrive at an appointment all hot and sweaty. :)