Top 10 Foods That Americans Miss While Abroad

Jingthing

Here's my list:

Chinese Food- American & Authentic

Jewish Delicatessen

Good Burgers

Italian Delicatessen

N.E. Lobster, Fried Clams, Steamed Clams

Sub Sandwiches- Italian Cold Cuts, Meatballs, Sausage, Veal cutlet & Steak n’ Cheese

Olives- Good assortment

Good Bread, Rolls & Bagels- French, Italian, Jewish

Sausages- Italian, Chicken, Greek, Turkey Kielbasa

Good Beef

Veal Cutlets

Idaho Potatoes

Creamsicles

Ice Cream Sandwiches

Marshmallow Fluff

Good Chocolate chip Cookies

Good Ice Cream

Pecan Pie

Cannolis

Hostess Cupcakes & Twinkies

Drake’s Yodels, Ring Dings & Devil Dogs

Fritos & Cheetos

Cheese Popcorn

Diet Root Beer & Diet Raspberry Lime Soda (ha!)

Surprised you can't get steamed clams in Thailand I have had some superb herbal spiced ones on Ko Chang! and usually available in most coastal resorts.

Subs are easily made yourself,just go along to Tescos,Topps,or similar,buy a fresh french stick (baked on the premises) and add fillings of your choice!

For good baked bread,usually a good selection of different types of loaves/bread too, seek out a German Baker,and buy on baking days,while still warm,if you want the best!

Edited by MAJIC

How about fresh tomatoes with real home grown taste? Not like the red cardboard varieties found in most American Supermarkets ... I'm speaking of the American home grown varieties with a real tangy and flavorful taste.

Any comments on tomatoes ?

You're right. I miss those huge sweet buffalo tomatoes, and all the tomatoes are much sweeter, better and with thinner skin in the U.S.. Also, miss fresh peaches and decent avocados. There are a few avocados here, but pretty tasteless for the most part. Cantaloupe is also sweeter and much better along with honey dew melon.

My kingdom for some masa flour. Been looking all over the King's Kingdom for more than a decade and can't find real masa corn tortilias or just the flour for a real tamale. They try to use wheat flour and yellow corn, but it just don't do it like masa.

Also a decent fresh salsa to go with it.

Would also love a med rare US prime rib roast, but that's too much to ask.

• Like 1

How about fresh tomatoes with real home grown taste? Not like the red cardboard varieties found in most American Supermarkets ... I'm speaking of the American home grown varieties with a real tangy and flavorful taste.

The Makro in Phit'lok usually has these tomatoes (round, not pear shaped). If they are properly ripe (sometimes they come in a little green) they are sweet, fully flavored and delicious. They also have the regular Thai style tomatoes which really are not bad if fully vine ripened. I eat tomatoes every day.

I think the place to which Kuhn Tywais refers was called UR Cooks in Texas and Oklahoma but now closed.

I gorge on things in America but not available in Thailand during a 3 week visit each year (steak or Mexican for just about any meal), get it out my system, bring back a few readily transportable things, and then I don't miss anything. I just make do with what's here in LOS and readily / inexpensively available. But OK: Stouffer's macaroni & cheese.

Edited by JLCrab

Yes, very nice tomatoes available at many markets and farmers markets back home. And you can grow your own too.. Attached a pic of tomatoes from the garden summer before last.

post-9754-0-41867400-1359132243_thumb.jp

Edited by just_Elaine

Yes, very nice tomatoes available at many markets and farmers markets back home. And you can grow your own too.. Attached a pic of tomatoes from the garden summer before last.

These tomatoes in the photo were "back home' not in Thailand...What about the tomatoes in Thailand? Any that you consider to be as good as the ones in the photos?

Can we have pixtures for some of this stuff please.Starting with chitlins et al....twinkies???
Smokie don't Google Chitilins, I just did and its put me off my breakfast.sick.gif

So chitlins is made with pork intestines. If you had good sausage for breakfast, what do you think was used as the casing for the sausage? You got it, pork intestines!

Can we have pixtures for some of this stuff please.Starting with chitlins et al....twinkies???
Smokie don't Google Chitilins, I just did and its put me off my breakfast.sick.gif

So chitlins is made with pork intestines. If you had good sausage for breakfast, what do you think was used as the casing for the sausage? You got it, pork intestines!

Wayned my comment was meant in a joking manner and no way a dig. I eat a lot of offal however, when I googled it this morning some of the pictures weren't pretty, hence my statement.

My comment wasn't meant as a dig either, just a gentle reminder. I've traveled the world on business and have learned to not ask what I was eating. Many things were absolutely delicious, but I probably wouldn't have eaten it if I knew before hand what it was. Ever tried "rocky mountain oysters"?

• Like 1

My comment wasn't meant as a dig either, just a gentle reminder. I've traveled the world on business and have learned to not ask what I was eating. Many things were absolutely delicious, but I probably wouldn't have eaten it if I knew before hand what it was. Ever tried "rocky mountain oysters"?

Sorry, i dont have to balls to eat that....

I'm ashamed. but i couldnt resist biggrin.png

• Like 1

Bo@*ocks to that..........tongue.png

Ever tried "rocky mountain oysters? Yes. I sliced and then pounded them out and cooked a bucket of them for about a dozen ranchers like veal scallopini. Even better than high quality veal IMHO.

The trick is to get the claves balls just after they are castrated, don't have to "tenderize" them. The older ones are like abalone and require the use of a mallet! They are served in many countries around the world. The greeks have a "mezedas" dish that uses lamb balls. Delicious! Uzo and ameletita!