Top 10 Foods That Americans Miss While Abroad

Jingthing

Salmon croquettes

Corn Dogs (although there is one guy in K Village who has great Corn Dogs)

Diet Dr. Pepper (sometimes can get regular Dr. Pepper at Villa)

Fresh mustard greens

Martha White Yellow and Mexican Cornbread mix

Native American Wild Rice

Chicken Fried Steak

Ground Turkey (sub for ground beef)

I have found canned salmon at some hi-so stores like Villa.....but finding cornmeal is a different story. Did find Martha White yellow cornbread mix at Villa in Bangkok and made some great cornbread and beans. Corn dogs.......again, where is the cornmeal? Fletchers Corny Dogs.........yuuuuummmmmm. Chicken fried steak, I am with you on that one, with cornbread! Mustard greens.....yes miss that. Did somebody say "Native American wild rice?" smile.png Not over here........

Stuffed part of the suitcase with Native American Wild Rice the last trip back. Doing my bit to make sure the Thai rice glut gets even larger, I fear. BTW, do try Corn Dog Dude in K-Village. It's the closest thing you're going to get over here to Fletcher's at the State Fair of Texas.

• 2 months later...

As a Kaliforian, real Mexican is about it. I love Thai food.

Seafood (MidAtlantic fish and cold water lobster, blue crabs)

Steaks

Good cheese

Italian meats

Berries from my fathers garden

Fruit off my fathers trees

Onions and garlic that are old and strong on purchase.

Nectarines.

My mothers and aunts desserts

Cheap bourbon and wines - great quality

Edited by bangkokburning

Okay, out on a limb here...

I miss a good Corsicana Fruitcake about once a year. (No more than once a year, though- then back in the freezer to be forgotten for a decade or two.)

Anyone else from SoCal missing Charo Chicken (with extra butter)?

I love corned beef hash with eggs for breakfast, but it has to be home made. The stuff in a can is only good for emergencies and camping.

5 Guys Burgers? Over rated, over-cooked, and way over priced. Fuddruckers is best, In and Out is great for fast food and Whataburger serves burgers for breakfast,(though their breakfast burritos are great, too).

I would kill my mother-in-law for a corn dog.

Where is "K-Village" ???

A hundred meters from Rama 4, behind the Big C by Suk Soi 22 or Soi 24- (they get kind of convoluted right there, but you can't miss the Big C). Also has a True Value Hardware Store and several other nice restaurants. Doggies welcome for dinner with their owners if well behaved. Really a nice spot.

Okay, out on a limb here...

I miss a good Corsicana Fruitcake about once a year. (No more than once a year, though- then back in the freezer to be forgotten for a decade or two.)

Anyone else from SoCal missing Charo Chicken (with extra butter)?

I love corned beef hash with eggs for breakfast, but it has to be home made. The stuff in a can is only good for emergencies and camping.

5 Guys Burgers? Over rated, over-cooked, and way over priced. Fuddruckers is best, In and Out is great for fast food and Whataburger serves burgers for breakfast,(though their breakfast burritos are great, too).

My 84yo mother makes absolutely awesome fruitcake. The cakes are loaded with fruit and brandy, aged for one year. The recipe is verifiable minimum of 150 years old. Even my Thai wife thinks pretty awesome and they are obviously very different taste for Thais.

My aunt is even more awesome baker than my mother.

Yeah, Charo Chicken was pretty good but I never was eating more the real deal in Long Beach.

Cambodian + Mexican

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

I would kill my mother-in-law for a corn dog.

Where is "K-Village" ???

Last time I was there it was closed down already, like 1.5 months ago. The guy was super friendly...but almost too friendly. I think he was Armenian, but claimed to live in the states for a while. They were decent, kind of like foster farms....

K-Village is mostly Japanese families and for lack of a better word, hi-so Thais. So yeah, not an easy crowd to make a profit on corn dogs

Avocados.

American Sriracha sauce.

Fresh baked (good) breads

These aren't really "foods", but that is what I miss the most.

You must live in the sticks if you can't get imported cados here.

They're expensive here but I find them a must have, and they're healthy too!

Edited by Jingthing

Avocados.

American Sriracha sauce.

When something that costs a quarter all my life costs 2 dollars here, and tastes worse, I wont bother. I remember one time I drove by a Mexican guy with a little stand - 8 (small) avocados for a dollar. Good ones too.

All things being equal, things dont taste good to me when they cost too much anyway.

Edited by utalkin2me

thenoilif, on 24 Jan 2013 - 17:52, said:

I've pretty much found all of these in BKK but they generally come with a high price tag. Mexican at La Monita's is excellent and comparable. Firehouse on Soi 11 makes a great burger. If you can't find it at a restaurant, there are grocery stores like Villa and Central Food Mart in Central World that sell most ingredients.

For me the things I miss the most that I haven't been a able to find here are:

Taco Bell - My staple after a night out on the town. It's now been replaced by street stall Thai food

Fresh deli meats - Boars Head deli meats and cheeses specifically

New York style Pizza - Huge slices dripping with grease

Philly Cheese steak sandwiches

Fresh snow and king crab legs dipped in warm butter - The high end hotel buffets here just don't compare to sitting on the beach cracking open a bunch of legs and sipping on a ice cold beer, Corana with a lime please

American Style Chinese food - I miss eating noodles out those little white cardboard containers

American style Italian food - Italian food here is not hearty enough. I want some baked Ziti, Chicken Parm, meaty meatballs and spagetti

It's funny how I didn't really miss much from the states before I started writing this but I could go on and on. At least I've found a good burger and mexican food.

Sounds like you're a bit too picky. Western food in Thailand is perfectly good, especially in touristy cities like Bangkok and Chiang Mai and there's not much to complain about when you're paying 350 Baht for a pizza from Scoozi's. Although having said that, western food in Thailand is usually done more European than American; call me crazy but Italian pizza is just a million times better than greasy American pizza so that's not a bad thing (otherwise, there's always the Pizza Company which is similar to Pizza Hut). And generally speaking, European (especially Mediterranean) food is also healthier than most American food.

You're right though about Chinese food that comes in those paper containers...you just don't find that here in Thailand. Similarly, Kung Pao chicken seems to be unknown in China, even when translated into Chinese.

This list could go on forever...

but my three misses are...

1 Hot thick Roast beef Sandwitch with Fresh bun and bbq sauce....

Like Kelly's Roast beef on Revere beach near to Boston

2 Pub grub food..thick jucy burgers, dogs, Itialian sausages and steak tips all cooked on charcoal grill

3 Toss up between Southern beef Briskit slow cooked BBQ..

or

Lunch plate special Chinese food #9 please porkstrips spareribs egg roll fried rice pot of tea ....

or some egg <deleted> young and a poo poo platter with a mai thai or a zombie to drink....yummy

Edited by glassdude007

Avocados.

American Sriracha sauce.

When something that costs a quarter all my life costs 2 dollars here, and tastes worse, I wont bother. I remember one time I drove by a Mexican guy with a little stand - 8 (small) avocados for a dollar. Good ones too.

All things being equal, things dont taste good to me when they cost too much anyway.

Well fancy that, its just a shame there aren't any little Mexicans selling avocados here, bet there aint many som tam stalls in Mexico either.

• Like 1

Well fancy that, its just a shame there aren't any little Mexicans selling avocados here, bet there aint many som tam stalls in Mexico either.

There aren't but there could be! I think they've got all the ingredients! Great idea.

Yes it's no fun if the Mexicans aren't little.

Edited by Jingthing

I also miss Haas avocado and my wife loves these as well. Quite crazy about avocado. I buy them.in Top when they must be sold or tot. Pick them.up for anywhere from 3-5 for 100b. Not seen them in bulk for awhile nor have I seen the Asian avos at all.

Funny, she eats them as fruit out of the skin. I use salt, black pepper, olive oil and vinegar. She doesnt dislike it this way, just prefes plain. Dometimes Ill make a salad with tomato, onion and olive as well. Sometimes Ham, cheese and avo melt. But that is a lot if trouble, I can just order Thai.

I am a Thai food fan, but just for comments sake, I don't think som tam would go over well in mexico because they have soups that blow it out of the water. They have a siete mares, topped with fresh lime and cilantro at the end. Just amazing. Even something like a clam cocktail is just so sophisticated compared to thai food.... there are smooth tastes in there with avocados, along with citrus, fresh cucumber, cilantro, a little red onion, fresh clams. Pair that with a pacifico and you are really in business; first class. I just get this dull feeling here now; it is either spicy meat with rice, or some non-extravagent noodles. Ok, this isn't a bash Thai food thread lol.

Edited by utalkin2me

I am a Thai food fan, but just for comments sake, I don't think som tam would go over well in mexico because they have soups that blow it out of the water. They have a siete mares, topped with fresh lime and cilantro at the end. Just amazing. Even something like a clam cocktail is just so sophisticated compared to thai food.... there are smooth tastes in there with avocados, along with citrus, fresh cucumber, cilantro, a little red onion, fresh clams. Pair that with a pacifico and you are really in business; first class. I just get this dull feeling here now; it is either spicy meat with rice, or some non-extravagent noodles. Ok, this isn't a bash Thai food thread lol.

Soup? Did you think we were talking about tom yum?

I've thought for a long time Mexico and Thailand should do a massive chef swap. I think there are Mexican dishes that have real potential with Thais, such as ceviches, and vice versa. But they need REAL Mexican chefs and vice versa.

It would be good for both economies as far as economic trade benefits.

Edited by Jingthing

Soup? Did you think we were talking about tom yum?

I've thought for a long time Mexico and Thailand should do a massive chef swap. I think there are Mexican dishes that have real potential with Thais, such as ceviches, and vice versa. But they need REAL Mexican chefs and vice versa.

It would be good for both economies as far as economic trade benefits.

My bad, lol. Here is a picture in any case. Siete mares means 7 seas - 7 types of seafood. Please, nobody ask me to name them all. Some noteables in the area of that pic.... clams, octopus, shrimp, crab, mussels, fish etc. Notice the plethora of lime and cilantro. Skimping does not come into their vocab like it does here.

But yes, a little late, but I agree.... som tam may go over very well in Mexico, I think they'd dig it. I certainly do, one of my favorite things here.

post-172506-0-30977400-1369745479_thumb.

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

I love that ice is on the list. Ketchup too.

Ahhh you Americans are funny! http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.png

At least we don't eat spotted dick

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

clap2.gif Touche!

I agree with Mexican and Thai being compatible....just have to look at how many Thais eat at La Monita to see how much so!

Sounds like you're a bit too picky. Western food in Thailand is perfectly good,

You are wrong. Western food is Thailand is much better than it was 20 years ago, but it is still mostly crap compared to the same dishes in America. I have not had a humburger in Thailand that would be more than barely acceptable back home and the same thing goes for pizza. By the way, anyone who thinks that Pizza Hut is an example of an average American pizza has never been to the USA or has no taste at all.

• Like 2

attachicon.gif5190NG2QBZL._SY300_1.jpgI have a friend that's lived in Thailand since 1989 and he misses this the most, in fact whenever anyone visits we bring him a can or 2 in our suitcase.

That's interesting because you couldn't pay me to eat canned corned beef hash. Isn't that like dog food?

I agree with you here jingthing as I can get it whenever I want and still don't eat it. I guess it's just something that reminds him of his youth and also that it's unavailable anywhere in Thailand.

I think if I lived in Thailand I would miss the great selection of microbrews/imported beers we have in the USA now.

Anybody else miss a good beer?

I recently found this place thanks to another ThaiVisa post, Has anyone tried them? I'm going to order a case before I arrive next trip in October and it looks like a pretty good company.

http://www.seekbeervana.com/home/

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.