Top 10 Foods That Americans Miss While Abroad

Jingthing

Looks like KFC are doing more than Black Chicken Burgers.. bah.gif

attachicon.gif1E8F6B2638D46F963A1B340E8EE.jpg

with Black cheese ?????????

attachicon.gifB2D6B2B8FCA3D562509139A0435D.jpg

Those things suck big time! Someone bought one and I had a bite. The bun is full of sugar, and tastes like cake, and the whole experience is to puke for.

Yep, someone bought me a Black Magic Chicken Burger in the week...... = expensive dog food..

but only eat maybe 2x a year these fast food things, glad it was just not me thinking it was a totally revolting bun

Chitlinns and mustard greens with cornbread

It's really hard to get cornbread mix, here. It comes sporadically. I've found it in Villa on Soi 33 but not since 2012, so stopped looking. The Central World carried it for about a year and stopped six months or so ago. I always bring back Martha White's Mexican cornbread when in the US--but that happens less and less. Do agree about the greens, collard and mustard, whether I cook my own or Sunshine brand canned. Put that with salmon croquettes and some Louisiana Pepper Sauce and I'm read to go.

Yes - REAL Cornmeal ... not corn flour. Not even remotely the same. I would love to find a reliable supply of basic corn meal - I can add my own flour to make cornmeal mix... But then I don't have access to a real oven so baking a home made cornbread would be difficult. If I ever find cornmeal I will try to use one of those glass bowl convection ovens ... see if that will work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chitlinns and mustard greens with cornbread

It's really hard to get cornbread mix, here. It comes sporadically. I've found it in Villa on Soi 33 but not since 2012, so stopped looking. The Central World carried it for about a year and stopped six months or so ago. I always bring back Martha White's Mexican cornbread when in the US--but that happens less and less. Do agree about the greens, collard and mustard, whether I cook my own or Sunshine brand canned. Put that with salmon croquettes and some Louisiana Pepper Sauce and I'm read to go.

Yes - REAL Cornmeal ... not corn flour. Not even remotely the same. I would love to find a reliable supply of basic corn meal - I can add my own flour to make cornmeal mix... But then I don't have access to a real oven so baking a home made cornbread would be difficult. If I ever find cornmeal I will try to use one of those glass bowl convection ovens ... see if that will work.

I have never found cornmeal here, ask anywhere and you get cornflour. I always bring a few bags back with me every time I go home to California for Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the US two days ago.

I ate two fried bologna and cheese sandwiches' from Swensen's near Akron, OH. Mission Accomplished.

My favorite Applebees was closed for remodel. Downer

I brought back American peperoni, Open Pit barbecue Sauce, and Siricha (Rooster) Sauce.

I went to my favorite Grocery store. I came to the section for hams, sausages and bacon etc. I was speechless )-:.

whistling.gif This may sound silly to you but the one thing I wish I could find easily here in Bangkok is a all Beef Kosher hot dog as you can find in the U.S.

Not one of these d_mn chicken /pork combination hot dogs, but a real 100% ALL BEEF Kosher hot dog that I can burn on the grill, and slather with Heinz Hot Dog Spicy Mustard Relish

Or, another dream, real Polish Kilbassa grilled on the Barbecue.

Unhealthy, and heart clogging, but oh so good.

A combination of Pork, Beef, and Pork fat in the meat. Cooks down to an unhealthy and heart blocking mass of sweet and juicy meat with juicy Pork fat in the meat.

Yes, will clog up your arteries, but I would (perhaps latterly) be willing to die for that taste.

That is what I would love to find (at a reasonable price) here in Bangkok.

Crawfish!!!! They are farmed in China and shipped to the U.S. Can't get them here except at "Bourbon Street" in Bangkok.

Years ago, used to be a Crawfish Bar place at the airport in New Orleans.

Not cheap, even then, it was still the best thing about a stopover in New Orleans.

Now, sadly, long gone ... not "healthy" food and the health food nuts long since closed it down.

Eating Crawfish, and raw oysters on the half shell..... That was real food.

• Like 1

whistling.gif This may sound silly to you but the one thing I wish I could find easily here in Bangkok is a all Beef Kosher hot dog as you can find in the U.S.

Not one of these d_mn chicken /pork combination hot dogs, but a real 100% ALL BEEF Kosher hot dog that I can burn on the grill, and slather with Heinz Hot Dog Spicy Mustard Relish

Butter is Better restaurant has them in Chiang Mai. No real Polish Kilbassa though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Crawfish!!!! They are farmed in China and shipped to the U.S. Can't get them here except at "Bourbon Street" in Bangkok.

I lived/worked in south la. and never experienced the taste of crawfish imported from China. as a real coon a.. will consume 10 pounds or more of crawfish to get to the meat in the tail, shipping of live/healthy would be very expensive. Of course if you suck the head after detaching same from tail you might get by with a few less. They are big business as rice farmers get a good second income from them, and processing plants ship frozen meat to those with the hunger. The meat is considered by many as good as crab or even lobster. Season is only a couple months, plus, long, and price for live crawfish varies depending on area and how plentful they are

Dude I'm from Lafayette! Don't need a discourse on Crawfish farming or the season, which can start late December thru mid April. Chinese frozen tails are shipped to Louisiana and other parts of the US, much to the chagrin of the LA farmers. I just want to know if anyone knows if they might be available in Thailand. Need me some étouffée, Shai!!!!

• 2 months later...

I wonder where this guy is living that he lists ice, free ketchup packets, and popcorn? What countries charge for ketchup at fast food? And isn't popcorn and ice everywhere?

For the rest

Couldn't care less about breakfast cereal. It seems to have decent availability in Thailand though.

Chilli fries are amazing and it's a shame they can't be bought from street stalls. You can buy chilli at Foodland/Villa though, so easy to add to some McDonalds fries for a quick fix.

Root beer is sold in 7-11. They even have a decent number of A&W restaurants here where you can get root beer floats.

You can decent hamburgers, from greasepit style to gourmet, in Bangkok and tourist areas. It is grim most other places though.

Bagels. Yeah, these are missed.

There are decent pizza options in Bangkok and some other big cities and tourist areas. Pizza Company can suffice everywhere else.

Mexican of course is the big one that all Americans I meet here seem to miss. Options have improved a lot in Bangkok, but they are still few in number and way overpriced.

Was charged for ketchup in Ireland after buying chips
. Been charged Mc D s for Ketchup in Ireland....

San Francisco Mission Style Burritos, going home tomorrow , though ...

The first meal I want from the airport is Mexican food or oddly, Vietnamese Pho.

I don't go back to SF anymore though.

. Got off the airplane today and had a Fat Carne Asada Burrito on Grand Ave.in S. San Francisco , from el Tapatio, I was thinking about you, if that helps, could only eat half 555555555

The first meal I want from the airport is Mexican food or oddly, Vietnamese Pho.

. Got off the airplane today and had a Fat Carne Asada Burrito on Grand Ave.in S. San Francisco , from el Tapatio, I was thinking about you, if that helps, could only eat half 555555555

I wonder if you are talking about this place:

post-110622-0-96952500-1419644647_thumb.

w/ this food:

post-110622-0-93902900-1419644673_thumb.

post-110622-0-11182600-1419644701_thumb.

I wonder why nobody can do this in Thailand/Asia.

• Like 1

I wonder if you are talking about this place:

attachicon.giflatapitia1.jpg

w/ this food:

attachicon.giflatapitia2.jpg

attachicon.giflatapitia3.jpg

I wonder why nobody can do this in Thailand/Asia.

. If you stick with Carnitas and chicken in red sauce or grilled, Flour Tortillos are they available in Thailand, would the Euros be interested?, refried beans avocados, also, I think carne Asada would be pricy and not flavorful in Thailand... Edited by Dannyboy666

I think that it is possible to replicate LaTapitia or some similar place in Thailand if both Thais and farangs are drawn to it. The ingredients can be found over here (spices can be imported). Tortillas are here and can easily be made if necessary. Getting quality beef at a decent price and proper knowledge of how to make Mexican food (for both Thai tastes and farang tastes) seem to be the challenges. I really do not know how much Europeans know or appreciate Mexican food. They might actually think Taco Bell is "Mexican food."

I think that it is possible to replicate LaTapitia or some similar place in Thailand if both Thais and farangs are drawn to it. The ingredients can be found over here (spices can be imported). Tortillas are here and can easily be made if necessary. Getting quality beef at a decent price and proper knowledge of how to make Mexican food (for both Thai tastes and farang tastes) seem to be the challenges. I really do not know how much Europeans know or appreciate Mexican food. They might actually think Taco Bell is "Mexican food."

. If you get some Mexican people to come over and start it up, and let some Thais cooks be taught by them, would be Better, more Authentic....

. If you get some Mexican people to come over and start it up, and let some Thais cooks be taught by them, would be Better, more Authentic....[/quote. I saw a few people inside Sunrise Taco on Khoasan rd, but it was a lot quieter in that restaurant, I've never eaten there, authentic or Not...this was a 3 or 4 days ago.

. If you get some Mexican people to come over and start it up, and let some Thais cooks be taught by them, would be Better, more Authentic....[/quote. I saw a few people inside Sunrise Taco on Khoasan rd, but it was a lot quieter in that restaurant, I've never eaten there, authentic or Not...this was a 3 or 4 days ago.

Sunrise Taco (ST) does make a burrito that will probably partially satisfy some craving you might have. And you can "make your own." They give you meat choices, salsa choices, and other choices for non-meat ingredients. It serves a purpose, but I would like to see more authentic spices in STs meats. I also like a more wet burrito, smothered in a great sauce. La Monita give you a similar burrito. But neither place seems to know how to properly cook the meats (very bland stuff). Consequently, you have to smother the burrito in their various sauces, which are, at both places, normally available at a salsa bar, and are not bad in some cases. In Jomtien-Pattaya, you can't get a decent burrito or any really decent Mexican food. In Pattaya-Jomtien, some people do seem to like Sam's Place, Mike's Place and/or Sue's Place. All three satisfy a niche, but none of them are making the type of Mexican food I grew up with, love and crave--not even close. I am not sure Europeans would flock to a really great Mexican food place in Thailand. I do not know how familiar they are with that type of food and it is extremely hard to generalize about what "Europeans" might like or dislike.

• Like 1