Responding To Thais In Retail Who Diss You In Thai To A Coworker Right In Front Of You

Jingthing

That works kind of two ways when they have been "helping" (pushing) and they don't like how you are not behaving as a model customer, and then turn to a mate to diss this difficult f-rang who is taking more than two minutes before effortless baht extraction. Because they were talking to you but then they are talking about you (not to you).

It's not very rude either so if they actually weren't insulting, it's not a big deal, but if they were, it should be embarrassing.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a conflict situation, or where there's some tension, I suspect that speaking in a language in which you are not comfortable is not such a good idea. If you speak Thai with a "funny" accent and don't speak it correctly you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. If you speak Thai well, then fine, but otherwise I think you'd be better off in English. Put them on the defensive, not yourself. It's better to be angry or stressed in your own language than in the other person's.

The old rule, I believe, for language in business is "Sell in the customer's language; buy in your own". Selling in the customer's language does not include humorous asides to your colleague in a language the customer can only guess at. If the salesperson does that, you should definitely take your business elsewhere. No need to question them. (I still think a bit of a stare at them before exiting would be worth a try. smile.png )

• Like 1

In a conflict situation, or where there's some tension, I suspect that speaking in a language in which you are not comfortable is not such a good idea. If you speak Thai with a "funny" accent and don't speak it correctly you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. If you speak Thai well, then fine, but otherwise I think you'd be better off in English. Put them on the defensive, not yourself. It's better to be angry or stressed in your own language than in the other person's.

The old rule, I believe, for language in business is "Sell in the customer's language; buy in your own". Selling in the customer's language does not include humorous asides to your colleague in a language the customer can only guess at. If the salesperson does that, you should definitely take your business elsewhere. No need to question them. (I still think a bit of a stare at them before exiting would be worth a try. smile.png )

Excellent suggestions!

Am well used to explaining Western humuor to Thais, didnt think id have to do it here laugh.png

Ok so..someone tells you something like..

"with a face like that you'd make a good advertisement for birth control."

"you liked your first double chin so much you got a second one"

you say back..

"ever had a look at yourself in the mirror buddy?...you got no mirrors in your house?"

get it?tongue.png

Got it, capice.

Next time why not just say what a Thai would say, mai mee krai dee tee sut.

havent heard that one, it means??..

theres no-one here any better??

If you speak Thai with a "funny" accent and don't speak it correctly you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Very true. Only the other day I got in a taxi from Sathorn to Terminal 21. Told the driver the destination in the style of Sylvester The Cat. Bloke didn't have a clue.

Sufferin' succotash!

(Not quite what I meant though smile.png )

• Like 1

If you speak Thai with a "funny" accent and don't speak it correctly you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Very true. Only the other day I got in a taxi from Sathorn to Terminal 21. Told the driver the destination in the style of Sylvester The Cat. Bloke didn't have a clue.

Sufferin' succotash!

(Not quite what I meant though smile.png )

LOL mate!

Am well used to explaining Western humuor to Thais, didnt think id have to do it here laugh.png

you say back..

"ever had a look at yourself in the mirror buddy?...you got no mirrors in your house?"

get it?tongue.png

Got it, capice.

No one is perfect, the beauty of it is, its neutral, so if she gets gobby, you just say I wasnt referring to you I was saying no one is perfect.

Well, bought me some shoes tonight.

Had the good fortune of encountering a reasonable salesman at the same place that had a product that I wanted.

He was all over the concept of needing to try on different sizes.

As usual, I am kind of BETWEEN sizes so it takes some consideration to decide on the best option.

The only problem started when after about 10 minutes and I hadn't finalized the sale yet (was still considering between two sizes) it's like he had been trained if they don't buy in 10 minutes, it's over. It was weird. I'm sure he thought I wouldn't buy but I was totally going to buy all along. Happily he didn't resort to insulting me UNTIL I left and then I wouldn't care. When I indicated the sale had been made, he looked totally shocked. Anyway ...

You know you lot can diss me all you want, I DO know with good confidence when people are OBVIOUSLY insulting me right in the front of me and if you don't, that's kind of YOUR problem. This case was NOT subtle and you did NOT need to speak a word of Thai to get it. Have all the fun you want. This is a reason a lot of people are AFRAID to post real life threads like this, they open themselves to abuse from the chattering class peanut gallery. Living in Pattaya, the reality is we've got a lot not very nice Thai people servicing the tourists for obvious reasons. It's NOT a polite town in the tourist areas, Thai speaking or not, so you can Khrap and Khor Todt till the cows come home, a lot of these locals are totally incorrigible. Yes, I don't have to live here, but I do, and part of living here is coping with the surliness.

BTW, keeping with the theme of pharmacists with questionable competence I had ANOTHER interesting encounter with a pharmacist recently. This one was less dramatic, but still pretty dramatic (for him). I went in there to a famous brand place and the pharmacist was dressed like one of the top level type pharmacists (the type that gives advice) and he was fluent in English. So I ask for what he has in antibacterial creams for a minor WOUND and he pulls up METROGEL. I was pretty amazed because I am well acquainted with Metrogel and it is indicated for treatment of Rosacea, a red skin condition a lot of white people get. In fact, right there on the box, the purpose for Rosacea was clearly written. Well so I asked this guy, do you know this medication is for Rosacea and do you know what Rosacea is? Remember I asked before about a minor WOUND. So this guy went all Thai soap opera. He instantly became "ill" and starting snorting on one of those nose inhalers and announced he could not even speak one word now about anything and also kind of looked like he was going to faint. This was in response to asking about Rosacea. You've got to laugh sometimes ...

"Happily he didn't resort to insulting me UNTIL I left"

I'm confused, how do you know what he did if you'd already left?

So why did she go bright red and hide behind the counter when I repeated it? I think I got the right meaning or intention first time laugh.png

Cheers

It actually means "serves you right" pretty basic Thai, this is a very common phrase made in bars, as there are so many farangs who have screwed up somehow and more often than not it "som nam na" I've had it said to myself many times, normally when I'm nursing a hangover! :)

This is one of interesting topics in Thailand. Next time be sure to have a Apps on TH-ENG(translator),it really helps. You could translate from Eng-Thai in seconds and you can translate in seconds and shove it to their ass. That's how i deal with it whenever i get annoyed by this rude idiots because when i speak Thai it just get worst so it's only way to get the message through their face. You can say something like 'Can you not be an Idiot if i don't speak Thai fluently" haha...

you say back..

get it?tongue.png

Got it, capice.

No one is perfect, the beauty of it is, its neutral, so if she gets gobby, you just say I wasnt referring to you I was saying no one is perfect.

Actually I don't think any Thai would say that!

It's pretty much nonsense "Farang Thai".

To say "no one's perfect" one would say either :

Mai Mee Krai Somboon Bpaeb ไม่มีใครสมบูรณ์แบบ

or

Mai Mee Krai Dee Lert : ไม่มีใครดีเลิศ

Patrick

So why did she go bright red and hide behind the counter when I repeated it? I think I got the right meaning or intention first time laugh.png

Cheers

It actually means "serves you right" pretty basic Thai, this is a very common phrase made in bars, as there are so many farangs who have screwed up somehow and more often than not it "som nam na" I've had it said to myself many times, normally when I'm nursing a hangover! smile.png

Yes,and it did not make any sense in the context that he reported it, so he just misunderstood..
  • Like 1

correction, "If you speak thai well, then fine, but otherwise i think you would look like an idiot"

But fully agreed, trying to slap a thai down in half-assed or gutter thai does you no favours.

Try to learn some polite phrases add Khup at end, Thais generally have more respect if your polite, and will be even more humble as opposed to you being confrontational

Khor Todt : Excuse me

Pud E tee : Say again

Besides these two basic sayings, theres loads of polite ways in Thai to show your unhappy and keep you looking cool and collected, and not like some hot head .

I like this. But my experience is that middle class and/or respectable Thai's don't even cross that line. They are extremely polite and respectable. If you think you might misunderstand something, then chances are they are crossing the line already and deserve whatever you can give them. A few catch phrases are a great addition to the toolbox such as, " Oh, you don't speak polite, you must not be Thai". There is no reason to walk on egg shells around rude people.

Funny story from a few years ago that is relevant.

I was here with my wife, whilst I worked in Thailand she was definitely "tourist". We had gone into Robinsons at Asok and sort of browsing. She was in the book section and I had wandered off to the sporting goods area. Anyway she had found an interesting looking book, but no price so she heads off to the counter to find out the price, I spot the movement towards the till and decide I had better head back before it costs me a fortune. I arrive back at the counter in time to hear the junior female sales assistant tell her the price was something stupid like 4000Baht, the wife says sorry too much. The sales assistant then replies with "Som Nom Nah" and giggles to male sales assistant. I then repeat to her " Som Nom Nah" whilst holding the wife's hand so she knows we are somehow related? She disappears behind the counter but I can tell where she is by the red glow of embarrassment (loss of face even). The male sales assistant has this look on his face which is straight out of a Thai soapy (<deleted> am I doing here). Allowed a few seconds and we did a dignified exit. Basically the lesson here is if they insult you in Thai, repeat it back to them to let them know you know. Good for a few laughs to offset the annoyance.

PS - For JT, not sure what sort of shoe you are after, but I have had good experiences at Robinsons, although this is Asok not Pattaya.

Cheers

What does som nom nah mean? you've got som-orange, nom- breast and nah. what does it mean when said together?

'Arai wa' often works.

What does arai wa mean? I know arai means 'what', but 'wa'?

Wa (วะ) is simply a Particle used at the end of a sentence or phrase which makes the preceding words deliberately offensive of aggressive - although it can be used as a sign of familiarity amongst friends it is not advisable to use it in conversation with strangers.

Patrick

'Arai wa' often works.

What does arai wa mean? I know arai means 'what', but 'wa'?

Wa (วะ) is simply a Particle used at the end of a sentence or phrase which makes the preceding words deliberately offensive of aggressive - although it can be used as a sign of familiarity amongst friends it is not advisable to use it in conversation with strangers.

Patrick

Thanks.

What does som nom nah mean? you've got som-orange, nom- breast and nah. what does it mean when said together?

Som Nahm Na (สมน้ำหน้า) means "serves you right" as an idiom, but it's nothing to do with Oranges (different spelling in Thai) or breasts (a different word again).

A literal translation would be :

สม - suitable or deserving

น้ำ - water

น้า - face

Or to extrapolate "deserving to have water thrown in (your) face".

As I say, it's an idiom so it does not really make much sense in direct translation.

Patrick

Som Nahm Na (สมน้ำหน้า) means "serves you right" as an idiom, but it's nothing to do with Oranges (different spelling in Thai) or breasts (a different word again).

น้ำ - water

น้า - face

As I say, it's an idiom so it does not really make much sense in direct translation.

Patrick

Thanks again Patrick, I can speak Thai a little, but nowhere near fluent.

น้ำ - water

น้า - face

Patrick

Your Thai is good ill give you that, you just are a lot more forgiving about abuse then I am. You are right about the fact that litteral translations often have no meaning. I am fluid in a few languages (not Thai) and encountered this problem often.

น้ำ - water

น้า - face

Patrick

Your Thai is good ill give you that, you just are a lot more forgiving about abuse then I am. You are right about the fact that litteral translations often have no meaning. I am fluid in a few languages (not Thai) and encountered this problem often.

Nice to be in contact with you again Robblok, but no, my Thai is not good but I'm learning, I can't come close to holding a conversation in Thai yet.

I wouldn't insult them, if you have misread the situation or misheard you will look like a <deleted>.

Try to learn some polite phrases add Khup at end, Thais generally have more respect if your polite, and will be even more humble as opposed to you being confrontational

Khor Todt : Excuse me

Pud E tee : Say again

Besides these two basic sayings, theres loads of polite ways in Thai to show your unhappy and keep you looking cool and collected, and not like some hot head .

Arai Wai as suggested is actually pretty rude to strangers in a social situation.

You pretty much answered your own question to start with, Learn some basic Thai and use it.

All the staring etc will just make you look silly, and eventually you will get it so wrong your end up in a shitty situation that quickly escalates over nothing.

Also remember they are shop staff bored out of there wits, you as the foreigner are possibly the only source of entertainment they may get all day.

I would use the arai wa for sure if i was sure they were taking the piss. If they are not polite with me why should i be with them. I'm a client but i would make sure that what i heard was an insult.

Arai Wa is really way too rude to use in most situations described here - and it's definitely NOT a nice phrase to direct at children as an earlier Poster indicates he often does.

When using insults inappropriately one will usually end up making a fool of oneself, rather than expressing displeasure at a young member of staff in a retail establishment.

If you are SURE you have been insulted use phrases which demonstrate that you will not sink to their level; it's far more appropriate and even more embarrassing to the offender.

Examples :

"Pood dee dee noi" (speak more politely)

"Thammai pood yang nan" (why do you say such things?)

Patrick

I thought 'say again' was arai na, not poo dee whatever.

. Calling someone "fat" seems to be part of everyday Thai conversation and they don't deem it as insulting. Thai's don't have the same stick up their butts like we do in the West, they aren't as "politically correct"

I agree.

I've been to the local shop and heard the ladies discuss how I am getting fatter

Having just bought some Chang beer, I held it up, patted my belly and said "I am not fat, have baby elephant" (Beer Chang translates as Elephant beer)

That brought a laugh biggrin.png

When they referred to me as fat, no insult was intended.

You will often hear adults refer to a fat kid as ooan (fat) instead of his/her name

I would be very embarrassed if I had any fat on me, in fact, I would stay indoors, diet and exercise till I was normal again. The way some Farangs let themselves go out here is disgusting.

Despite all of the TIT posts, I don't see why we should put up with obvious disrespect from people from whom we want to buy something. Any customer is entitled politeness and help and gratuitous bad remarks about someone whom they assume can't understand what they say just isn't acceptable. The shop, to say the least, doesn't deserve custom.

You need to think about the circumstances. Some of the skinny 40 degree drinkers at out soi shop decided that it was fun to call me fat. By comparison with them I am certainly well covered. Not wishing to start a village feud, I would just take my purchases and leave with no further conversation. Eventually they became bored with the game and gave up.

Out in the sticks here, despite there being plenty of foreigners, leery lads sometime like to say 'farang' as we pass by, not to us but about us and so that we can hear. When you look around, they are having a silly snigger at their cleverness. The appropriate response is 'Khun Lao'. Without fail, they will go very quiet, look at each other and grimace as they attempt to engage their brains to work out the implications of the response.

Again, you are trying to be smart, but your thai is wrong,

why would you want to call them Mr Lao, do you mean khon lao?

Candypants. Your'e English is wrong Thai has a capital T.

น้ำ - water

น้า - face

Patrick

Nice to be in contact with you again Robblok, but no, my Thai is not good but I'm learning, I can't come close to holding a conversation in Thai yet.

You seem to be able to write it.. i cant but i can hold most normal conversations. Not as it becomes technical but im working on that.