Responding To Thais In Retail Who Diss You In Thai To A Coworker Right In Front Of You

Jingthing

This topic is about how to respond to Thai sales people who make stupid jokes about farang customers.

Any further flames, bickering, etc. will result in time outs. We are also not interested in learning who started.

What's a time out? Is that a sin bin for naughty boys?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is about how to respond to Thai sales people who make stupid jokes about farang customers.

Any further flames, bickering, etc. will result in time outs. We are also not interested in learning who started.

suspension of ability to post. Hope that clears things up for you.

suspension of ability to post. Hope that clears things up for you.

Thanks SBK.

. Calling someone "fat" seems to be part of everyday Thai conversation and they don't deem it as insulting. Thai's don't have the same stick up their butts like we do in the West, they aren't as "politically correct"

I agree.

I've been to the local shop and heard the ladies discuss how I am getting fatter

Having just bought some Chang beer, I held it up, patted my belly and said "I am not fat, have baby elephant" (Beer Chang translates as Elephant beer)

That brought a laugh biggrin.png

When they referred to me as fat, no insult was intended.

You will often hear adults refer to a fat kid as ooan (fat) instead of his/her name

I would be very embarrassed if I had any fat on me, in fact, I would stay indoors, diet and exercise till I was normal again. The way some Farangs let themselves go out here is disgusting.

Thank you for sharing that you are a vain, shallow and judgmental person.

How many posts have you made in this thread?. I seem to remember quite a few from you, but not one that has anything to do with the topic.

• Like 1

. Calling someone "fat" seems to be part of everyday Thai conversation and they don't deem it as insulting. Thai's don't have the same stick up their butts like we do in the West, they aren't as "politically correct"

I agree.

I've been to the local shop and heard the ladies discuss how I am getting fatter

Having just bought some Chang beer, I held it up, patted my belly and said "I am not fat, have baby elephant" (Beer Chang translates as Elephant beer)

You will often hear adults refer to a fat kid as ooan (fat) instead of his/her name

I would be very embarrassed if I had any fat on me, in fact, I would stay indoors, diet and exercise till I was normal again. The way some Farangs let themselves go out here is disgusting.

How many posts have you made in this thread?. I seem to remember quite a few from you, but not one that has anything to do with the topic.

I stand by what I said, as for asking me how many posts I have made, can you see to tie your'e shoelaces as you seem to have problems with your'e eyesight? or is there another reason?

Does anyone see the irony that a discussion of how to handle "rude" Thais has devolved into mutual insults of one another? lol, now we can see how everyone REALLY handles these situations.

That observation aside, I came home furious one time from a perceived insult from a vendor. Buying food at a street booth, I meant to say "Gra baan" (take home) and instead said "Grabow" (taken to mean, "put it in my handbag please). I didn't catch the mistake until later.

The young female turned to her companion in hysterical laughter and started explaining what the big clumsy farang had said. Neither of them acknowledged my presence; they talked about me while ignoring me. I had the mood to leave without paying, but I was hungry & confused. This was in a part of Bangkok where few farang hang out.

When I got home, my wife wisely calmed me down. She explained (1) These folks are not used to dealing with farang (2) They are really not used to hearing farang trying to speak Thai and (3) Farang are generally viewed (at least by lesser educated people) as big comical creatures. These girls didn't mean to be rude, but they truly didn't know any better, and were in over their heads, culturally speaking. (not to mention, my mistake really was funny as I can see in retrospect.)

This calmed me down considerably and I find myself more tolerant of these slights. Perhaps I am overly gracious in thinking that the offenders really don't mean any harm; they are just not that sophisticated.

Many of you shared experiences of outright insults & that's a completely different matter. But what we might consider insensitive behavior might be seen differently through the eyes of a less-worldly Thai person.

I stand by what I said, as for asking me how many posts I have made, can you see to tie your'e shoelaces as you seem to have problems with your'e eyesight? or is there another reason?

As it seems that you didn't understand...

I was pointing out that you have made numerous posts in this thread, but have been unable to make one single post that has any relevance to the topic.

Your posts have been more about language and then you make a post attacking people if they are overweight. Sorry, not attacking all fat people, only farangs.

'Arai wa' often works.

What does arai wa mean? I know arai means 'what', but 'wa'?

a less polite and informal version. Amongst people you don know it would be downright rude, amongst friends it could be used humourously, sarcastically think "What the <deleted>???"

I agree.

What's the matter loong? Maybe you should change your'e user name to Looney, you have sent me the same reply three times.

'Arai wa' often works.

a less polite and informal version. Amongst people you don know it would be downright rude, amongst friends it could be used humourously, sarcastically think "What the <deleted>???"

Thanks Candypants, if any Thai upsets me I'll just say "yet Khun" only kidding.

Does anyone see the irony that a discussion of how to handle "rude" Thais has devolved into mutual insults of one another? lol, now we can see how everyone REALLY handles these situations.

That observation aside, I came home furious one time from a perceived insult from a vendor. Buying food at a street booth, I meant to say "Gra baan" (take home) and instead said "Grabow" (taken to mean, "put it in my handbag please). I didn't catch the mistake until later.

The young female turned to her companion in hysterical laughter and started explaining what the big clumsy farang had said. Neither of them acknowledged my presence; they talked about me while ignoring me. I had the mood to leave without paying, but I was hungry & confused. This was in a part of Bangkok where few farang hang out.

When I got home, my wife wisely calmed me down. She explained (1) These folks are not used to dealing with farang (2) They are really not used to hearing farang trying to speak Thai and (3) Farang are generally viewed (at least by lesser educated people) as big comical creatures. These girls didn't mean to be rude, but they truly didn't know any better, and were in over their heads, culturally speaking. (not to mention, my mistake really was funny as I can see in retrospect.)

This calmed me down considerably and I find myself more tolerant of these slights. Perhaps I am overly gracious in thinking that the offenders really don't mean any harm; they are just not that sophisticated.

Many of you shared experiences of outright insults & that's a completely different matter. But what we might consider insensitive behavior might be seen differently through the eyes of a less-worldly Thai person.

actually you spoke utter nonsense Gra Baan -- Glap Baan -- go(return home)

kra pow (not to be mistaken for basil) == bag (suitcase/wallet/purse) sai kra pow -- put in bag sai toong= put in plastic bag.

may i ask, doesn't your wife take the time to correct your thai? This could have proved a useful lesson

'Arai wa' often works.

"yet mae" would probably be more incendiary

Sorry to say, but you come across as "not that sophisticated" in dealing with "lesser educated people".

Edited by simple1

Sorry to say, but you come across as "not that sophisticated" in dealing with "lesser educated people".

At least his post is on topic.

• Like 1

At least his post is on topic.

True - sorry! Just irritated me with the underling arrogance

There is always some fool (or two) on these Threads desperate to showcase his "knowledge" of Thai by using the most crude and totally inappropriate phrases.

Please just go away.

Patrick.

At least he bit is lip, and was not rude to the young ladies. Personally, I try to leave improving the locals' manners to the expensive finishing shcools of Switzerland, and their parents, and I try to behave politely myself, regardless of the behaviour of others. Two wrongs don't make a right, they make a fight.

A few months ago, I got my hair cut at one of the local hairdressers in our suburb in Bangkok, and the lady cutting my hair went on and on and on about farang this, farang that to her colleagues. So now I get my hair cut at lunchtime near work, instead. I've no idea what she was saying, but I flt that it was rude to gossip with her friends while serving a customer. That wouldn't happen in Lolitas

SC

EDIT: I really don't see the point of learning to swear or be rude in a foreign language. It just makes you look like a talking monkey. People understand full well what you mean if you swear at them in English, even if they don't understand the words. Far better to learn to be polite.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

There is always some fool (or two) on these Threads desperate to showcase his "knowledge" of Thai by using the most crude and totally inappropriate phrases.

Please just go away.

Patrick.

Its a dangerous phrase.. could enrage Thais they really seem to hate it. Insulting someoneones mother is real bad here.

I understand how you feel Jingthing, I honestly cannot stand not knowing for sure what is being said around me. I am a control freak in a way. So, I quickly learned to understand as best I could.. might be the right solution for you too. One thing I do notice is that, paranoia from this situation often leads to thinking one is always the topic of conversation, when often we are largely ignored. These days it is rare indeed that I ever think someone is insulting me and I wonder if that is related to the fact I now speak Thai as well as most people in service roles.

You sound like a nice guy but after reading your post I don't really think you understand how I feel. In some cases, I have NO DOUBT whatsoever the talk is about me, especially in the CONTEXT of how it happens. If it was a grey area and I wasn't confident I doubt I would feel like reacting at all. You might think that is foolish but I don't. This has nothing to do with being frustrated about not understanding every word. I am not frustrated by that. Its projection from you to think I do. Maybe you think I SHOULD care but I don't really care. Just saying. I am well aware we are often ignored and not seen as actual full humans, but that's kind of another matter.

An issue with rude salespeople that is related is when the salesperson DIRECTLY insults you to your face in Thai and/or English if you don't buy something and behave like a stupid tourist who will buy anything even if it doesn't fit. A classic example of this was a time I was looking for some short pants and the guy didn't have my larger size but he did have these stretchy pants which were way too small but he demonstrated how they could be stretched far out so I should buy them. I didn't agree and then he lost it with the insults. Yeah, tell me being polite would prevent situations like that, yeah, sure.

P.S.: Maybe this should be in the Pattaya forum. I think locals there would understand about the LOW quality and really bad attitude of so many of the sales people here.

Have you ever tried to bring matters to the manager?

Please just go away.

Patrick.

would you prefer they were used in public?

I agree they are very offensive terms and it is as, rude, stupid (and dangerous) to use them in the real world as it is to attempt to verbally lash any native language speaker in their own tongue for a perceived slight when you can barely count to five or ask where the toilet is.

i would suggest that my cavalier attitude to the thai language (in discussion only) nicely offsets the stick you seem to have accidentally lodged sideways.

your pretense and air of superiority are perhaps as tiresome as my use of an admittedly profane term on the forum.

The thing is while i admit i perhaps went a little too far in jest, you remain a prig and a pedant.

unfortunately i seem to have irritated the unofficial hall monitor contingent on the board to day and am being called out for my irreverence both publicly and in PM.

So for the evening at least i bid you adieu.

Please just go away.

Patrick.

Its a dangerous phrase.. could enrage Thais they really seem to hate it. Insulting someoneones mother is real bad here.

hence the remark incendiary

@candypants

I am sorry i misread but someone might have tried it and got in some real trouble. Some of my Thai friends have explained it to me and even gf said that simple things about someone's parents are dangerous ground. I don't mind to tell people im displeased and respond to their rudeness but i would never want to start a fight.

This sums the issues up nicely for me. I have never been insulted by Thai's no matter what they say or think as I assume those that pass these comments are simple, uneducated, uncouth people and not worth me raising my blood pressure over. Seriously people isn't life too short to waste time worrying about what some fool says or thinks about you? Frankly if it it upsets you that much I think it is more an issue of your own self esteem than anything else.

Edited by canman

This sums the issues up nicely for me. I have never been insulted by Thai's no matter what they say or think as I assume those that pass these comments are simple, uneducated, uncouth people and not worth me raising my blood pressure over. Seriously people isn't life too short to waste time worrying about what some fool says or thinks about you? Frankly if it it upsets you that much I think it is more an issue of your own self esteem than anything else.

Why don't you take a day off from being a total moron occasionally

Are you incapable of posting anything approaching sensible????

Idiot!!

Sorry, only joking :D I didn't mean anything :)

Just taking advantage of the fact that you won't be offended ;)

• Like 1

Why don't you take a day off from being a total moron occasionally

Are you incapable of posting anything approaching sensible????

Idiot!!

Sorry, only joking biggrin.png I didn't mean anything smile.png

Just taking advantage of the fact that you won't be offended wink.png

Made me smile, even before I scrolled down to see the last couple lines. tongue.png

Had a great one years ago in an elevator. Two fat Thai girls giggling and looking at me. One states that I am very tall (which I am indeed).

I say in Thai "but not fat".

Instance silence with a couple of floors to go. Must have been the longest elevator ride of their life laugh.png

You didn't write that they called you fat.

But your replies to them, implies you thought, that they were fat.

No wonder there was a silence.... they were stunned with your rudeness.

Edited by RandomSand

Had a great one years ago in an elevator. Two fat Thai girls giggling and looking at me. One states that I am very tall (which I am indeed).

I say in Thai "but not fat".

Instance silence with a couple of floors to go. Must have been the longest elevator ride of their life laugh.png

You didn't write that they called you fat.

But your replies to them, implies you thought, that they were fat.

No what stunned them was the fact the farang understood he was being talked about.

What about their rudeness, why pass comment on the fact, farang ben khon sung sung?

They probably were fat, they thought he was tall, same same but different.

'Arai wa' often works.

Good one did not think of that one.

True, I didn't think of that either, something that I only use with children when they are being extremely cheeky.

For those that don't know

Arai na means "Pardon?" or "what did you say?"

Arai wa means "WHAT DID YOU SAY!!"

biggrin.png

Arai wa is harsher than that, I believe it means more like " WHAT THE F*#K!