Retirement Extension - How To Get Multiple Re-Entry?

Hi All,

I'm going to apply tomorrow for my first one-year retirement extension of my non-immigrant O-A visa and I noticed the Application Form TM7 doesn't seem to have a place to request a multiple re-entry. Does that come automatically with the extension or is it something I'll have to apply for separately?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TG

Re-entry is another form (TM.8) at 1,000 single or 3,800 multi entry for the period of extension.

Hey Lopburi, thanks for the quick response! Can I apply for and get the re-entry permit at the same time as I'm getting the extension? I'll be doing it at the Chaeng-Wattana office. Or do I have to go to Suan Phlu for the permit (I went there last year for a re-entry permit)?

Cheers,

TG

Thanks All! I'm going to try it at Chaeng Wattana tomorrow.

Just now I tried emailing my TM8 in advance to Immigration using the email address which I found on this site (and which I used successfully last year):

[email protected]

I tried twice but am getting error messages saying it failed because of a permanent error. Does anyone know about this? I have java enabled so that wouldn't seem to be the problem.

TG

Thanks All! I'm going to try it at Chaeng Wattana tomorrow.

Just now I tried emailing my TM8 in advance to Immigration using the email address which I found on this site (and which I used successfully last year):

[email protected]

I tried twice but am getting error messages saying it failed because of a permanent error. Does anyone know about this? I have java enabled so that wouldn't seem to be the problem.

TG

Permanent error usually means a problem at the receiving end (often the recipient ISP's server) Not usually anything to do with sending. The error message email will often contain some text with a clue as to the exact nature of the problem.

Do other people get your emails OK? Can you send yourself an email? If you've got 2 addresses that's always a good test.

Hope it helps - VBF

Edited by VBF

Thanks all, I didn't have time to submit online so I went up to Chaeng-Wattana to get my retirement extension and immediately applied the usual way for the multiple re-entry permit. Got that too. They were fairly efficient but I have to say that what really makes no sense to me is the separation of the "extension of stay" concept from the "visa" concept and even more, from the "re-entry permit" concept. I can't see any reason why they cannot just give us a re-entry feature as part of the extension of stay, and while they're at it, call the extension a "visa". As it stands, my visa (my original non O-A) has expired and I don't properly speaking have any visa at all, just an "extension of stay". You might say that's just a verbal quibble but I think it confuses a lot of people unnecessarily (it sure confused me). And then we have to get into another queue and go through a superfluous process to get a re-entry permit. If they just want more money, they can roll the two into one and just charge the total up front. But yes I know, This Is Thailand. :)

Cheers,

TG

• Like 2

Am tagging my almost similar query here.

I aim to renew my 1-yr non-imm O along with the multiple re-entry (at the Chiangmai office).

I've downloaded the two forms tm 7 & 8.

What passport copies, how many photos or other docs should I also prepare copies of? (Want to go prepared to the extent possible - the queues and time needed at Chiangmai office has become horrendously long as it is!)

You are talking about extending for retirement? You do not renew a visa and to obtain a new one would require exit to a Thai Consulate. You have not even mentioned financials and they are the primary requirement and what is required depends on what you plan to use. For both forms you will require 4x6cm photos taken within six months and copies of your passport data page, visa, extensions, entry and departure form. Proof of residence. Likely a map to that residence. Financials for TM.7: bank passbook/copies and letter of account balance from bank manager and/or letter of income from your Consulate in Thailand (and supporting documents if asked). Above is normal - Chiang Mai might require something else that a poster can add.

Thanks for responding Lopburi.

Yes the extension would be based on retirement, but I think your first sentence is surely mistaken and probably prompted by my query not being clear. I don't need to leave the country - I've done the renewal at Chiangmai before but hav forgetten what docs I will need and wanted to go there properly equipped with everything.

So from your reply I gather I should go with

completed tm7 &

- 2 photos

- a bank letter showing balance and bank book (with first and last year's pages copied)

- copies of passport data page, visa, extensions (presumably the last visa extension will suffice), entry and departure forms

- the current rental agreement for my residence

completed tm8 for the re-entry visa with a duplicate set of the above documents. (Even though I will try to do both tm7 and 8 together I suppose they will want the duplicate set?)

You are getting a one year extension of stay not renewing a non immigrant O visa is what my statement was about. The TM.7 is used for extensions of stay - not for visas.

I would have copy of all extensions since the original visa entry unless a new passport. Anything not required will be returned and copies are free to a bath or two before you go - you do not want to be short of anything.

Lately, Chiang Mai has also required copies of EVERY extension of stay connected with your most recent visa. That could mean pages and pages of copies of extensions for someone who enters Thailand on a visa and then extends permission to stay for years and years without leaving.

This is another good reason why you should never dispose of old passports, after they've been "replaced". Actually they contain information that can never be replaced.

• Like 1

In that case, and taking a conservative position, I'm glad I do have my old passport but I can see a big bundle of copies (every page signed by me, I'm sure). Especially as everything is duplicated for the re-entry.

The issue for me is not the tiny cost of copies but the time queuing up at the copiers there and eventually gathering and collating the bundle. his is why I want to do the copies in advance, at home.

One detail, if Nancy can throw any light, I was wondering if the rental agreement been a strict requirement in Chiangmai, and if so are they satisfied with just the first and signature pages - or do they want the whole thing copied?

Edited by triffid

At his latest interview for his retimentment extension Hubby was asked if he rented or owned his condo and if he had his rental agreement. He was stricken because he thought he'd brought everything they might want to see -- tax returns, 1099 forms, etc to back up his Income Letter. They simply said "next time".

I just did my retirement extension in Chiang Mai last week and brought our rental agreement, but didn't copy it. They didn't ask to see it.

About the copies for the re-entry permit -- Chiang Mai just wants a copy of the most recent extension for that, not all the extensions tied with the visa, like they want for the extension application. Somehow I got lucky last week when I high-tailed it to the copy shop after receiving my passport with the new extension and requesting a queue ticket for a re-entry permit. There was only one other person ahead of me for re-entry permits and I realized I wouldn't have long to copy that newly issued extension. There was NO ONE in line at the copy machines. The operator was looking for work and actually walked out to get my paperwork when he saw me hustling toward the copy machines. It's been a long, long time since there's been no line at the copy machines.

They have never asked me for a rental aggrement at Chiang Mai immigration nor a map not to say they will not ask you

Have you been in the system for awhile? It was not often asked in the past but for last few years application is a local process so they are more likely to check to make sure you are eligible to apply at that office.

They have never asked me for a rental aggrement at Chiang Mai immigration nor a map not to say they will not ask you

Have you been in the system for awhile? It was not often asked in the past but for last few years application is a local process so they are more likely to check to make sure you are eligible to apply at that office.

Just got my third one in Jan. as said never asked for map nor extra proof of anything. I do take copies of my deposits to the office with me to prove bank deposits of retirement funds

Ah ha!

CM Immigration may have asked Hubby for a rental agreement because the only time he goes to Immigration is to do his annual extension. Since I sometimes assist elderly people in getting medical extensions, I'm at Immigration two or three times monthly and do 90 day reports for both of us. The staff does recognize me and, in fact, where surprised I was actually doing my own retirement extension, rather than helping someone who has a problem like dementia The staff knows I'm a "local", but they probably don't recall seeing Hubby before..

Well, those responses have been very helpful to me. Many thanks.

For the visa extension, in addition to the bank and passport stuff, I shall take my rental agreement and a copy of the first and last pages.

For the re-entry, I shall have to do the copy of the freshly obtained extension there. And presumably also need to take with me a second set of copies of the other stuff - photos, passport data page, entry/departure card, bank letter/book? Though maybe the last two items won't be necessary.

Now to get copying for tomorrow morning's expedition.

Trip to immigration proved futile. I was trying to do the extension and multiple re-entry a few weeks early because I wanted to go out of the country before their expiry. Turned out that the 800+k baht for 3 months rule could not be met until a few days before the actual expiry date. I must have had that in mind when I arranged the transfer of funds. So I have to wait and have to postpone my travel dates.

(The situation and crowds at Chiangmai immigration are horrendous - unrecognizably worse than a year ago. I am probably going to succumb to the temptation of using a local agent and paying their exhorbitant fees. I know that a portion of the fee will be passed on to immigration - and this surely gives the latter an incentive to make the process less than smooth or quick for those without agents.)