Thailand Pushes Back 200 Rohingya Boat People: Navy

webfact

Total BS. Yingluck actually still has a chance to intact change on this issue positively (unlikely though given past history) but you have already decided she won't and are criticising her for handling the situation as badly as her predecessor! We can definitively comment on previous PM's handling of the issue as their tenure is actually over... we already know exactly how they handled the issue! A minor distinction for some I know...

Nobody is criticising Yingluck for what she may or may not be responsible for in the future, and if in the future she does something positive with regards this issue, that will be great, but people are free to comment (and criticise if they wish) on her handling to date. If you expect everyone to reserve all judgement until her tenure is over, you are dreaming. Politicians more often than not need to be pressurised into action. If citizens politely wait until the government's tenure is over to speak up about how they disagree with certain government action, it will be too late. Did you wait until Abhisit's tenure was over to criticise him?

• Like 2

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no defending any inaction on the part of the current Government and I certainly haven't tried to but inaction does not equate to deliberate and calculated orders to contravene human rights.

Towing people out to sea and leaving them for dead, as you yourself describe the process, is certainly not inaction. Quite the reverse.

It's up to this Government to take action and show the military and the police that what was policy under Abhisit is now not acceptable under their watch... The current inaction by this Government leaves the authorities continuing to act in the inhumane manner they were taught to by the Dem poster boy. Abhisit made it policy to tow them to their deaths, now it's up to Yingluck to change that perception.

There's no defending any inaction on the part of the current Government and I certainly haven't tried to but inaction does not equate to deliberate and calculated orders to contravene human rights.

Towing people out to sea and leaving them for dead, as you yourself describe the process, is certainly not inaction. Quite the reverse.

It's up to this Government to take action and show the military and the police that what was policy under Abhisit is now not acceptable under their watch... The current inaction by this Government leaves the authorities continuing to act in the inhumane manner they were taught to by the Dem poster boy. Abhisit made it policy to tow them to their deaths, now it's up to Yingluck to change that perception.

The government is taking action. Authorities work under under the governments control, and authorities are, to use your words, towing people out to sea and leaving them for dead. Which government first implemented a policy makes no difference to a government's responsibility, in terms of taking blame, just as it makes no difference when it comes to accepting praise.

• Like 1

The government is taking action. Authorities work under under the governments control, and authorities are, to use your words, towing people out to sea and leaving them for dead. Which government first implemented a policy makes no difference to a government's responsibility, in terms of taking blame, just as it makes no difference when it comes to accepting praise.

Mince words much?!

The Government isn't taking action, that's the whole problem! What brave new measures have they put in place to deal with the Rohingya humanely?! None! The Government has enacted no policy change on the issue since Abhisit started his tow 'em and leave 'em to rot policy. That is inaction on the part of this Government and human rights breaking action on the part of AV... something he's become some what infamous for.

The authorities have acted with impunity under various Governments and with the number of military coups in Thai history your words are downright laughable. The military were acting under the control of the Government when they overthrew the PM in 2006?! It's not Government policy to sell the Rohingya as slaves either, but the more callous and enterprising among them have a track record of doing so.

This Government needs to take action and change the previous Government's policy of leaving the authorities to tow them out to deep water and leave them to die, if they don't they are just as culpable as AV and the Dems in the Thai's tragic handling of these people. Please twist that however you see fit but hopefully at some point in your life you will realise that other people have an opinion on this and other subjects, are entitled to it and it may not always match your own.

Mince words much?!

The Government isn't taking action, that's the whole problem! What brave new measures have they put in place to deal with the Rohingya humanely?! None! The Government has enacted no policy change on the issue since Abhisit started his tow 'em and leave 'em to rot policy. That is inaction on the part of this Government and human rights breaking action on the part of AV... something he's become some what infamous for.

The authorities have acted with impunity under various Governments and with the number of military coups in Thai history your words are downright laughable. The military were acting under the control of the Government when they overthrew the PM in 2006?! It's not Government policy to sell the Rohingya as slaves either, but the more callous and enterprising among them have a track record of doing so.

This Government needs to take action and change the previous Government's policy of leaving the authorities to tow them out to deep water and leave them to die, if they don't they are just as culpable as AV and the Dems in the Thai's tragic handling of these people. Please twist that however you see fit but hopefully at some point in your life you will realise that other people have an opinion on this and other subjects, are entitled to it and it may not always match your own.

To say that the previous government was taking an action in towing people out to sea and leaving them to die, but this one is somehow not because they didn't initiate the policy, is a complete and utter nonsense. No twisting going on besides your struggling attempts to in some way differentiate one government's culpability versus another's, with the exact same practice going on now, that was going on before. You are the one politicizing this whole issue. Just a quick look at your last half dozen posts on the subject illustrates that.

As for you being entitled to your opinion, where have i said otherwise? Just because i think it's complete nonsense, doesn't mean i deny you a right to speak it. Don't be so precious.

• Like 2

Mince words much?!

To say that the previous government was taking an action in towing people out to sea and leaving them to die, but this one is somehow not because they didn't initiate the policy, is a complete and utter nonsense. No twisting going on besides your struggling attempts to in some way differentiate one government's culpability versus another's, with the exact same practice going on now, that was going on before. You are the one politicizing this whole issue. Just a quick look at your last half dozen posts on the subject illustrates that.

As for you being entitled to your opinion, where have i said otherwise? Just because i think it's complete nonsense, doesn't mean i deny you a right to speak it. Don't be so precious.

Actually that was aimed at your rather overly dramatic attack on another poster that cared to voice his opinion. For some reason you felt the need to defend Abhisit over his handling of the Rohingya while I felt it was misplaced given his clear and verified track record on the subject.

Abhisit stands out for many in regard to this particular issue and the fact that you seem completely unable to acknowledge this speaks volumes about your own loyalties rather than pointing to any understanding of the actual issue or the obviously nationalistic leanings of AV's mentors and hence his rather callous approach. Your sole input seems to run along the lines of "all PM's share equal blame on the issue and it's not fair to single out poor AV for his part in it!"!!! Precious?! If the cap fits...

I believe that currently all Thai Governments have failed on this issue but for me Abhisit's handling of the situation was monumentally and tragically poor. That said Yingluck certainly hasn't improved the situation... to date... whistling.gif

I believe that currently all Thai Governments have failed on this issue but for me Abhisit's handling of the situation was monumentally and tragically poor. That said Yingluck certainly hasn't improved the situation... to date... whistling.gif

Only looking at the topic here over the last month there doesn't seem to be an indication that the PM Yingluck led government is inclined to show any improvement.

2013-01-14 Thailand Arrests More Than 150 Rohingya: Police

2013-01-15 Local Politicians Implicated In Rohingya Smuggling Racket.

2013-01-16 Rohingya Refugees To Get Care: Yingluck

2013-01-17 Yingluck: Rohingya ' Might Join Southern Insurgency'

2013-01-19 Thailand Is ' Shouldering Refugee Burden Alone'

2013-01-19 Thailand To Discuss Rohingya Problem With International Agencies

2013-01-20 'Rohingya are illegals, but will be treated humanely'

2013-01-29 Rohingyas Not Trafficked: Thai N S C

2013-01-30 Thailand Pushes Back 200 Rohingya Boat People: Navy (NOTE: this topic)

2013-01-31 Thailand Will Not Set Up Refugee Camp For Rohingyas: National Security Council

2013-02-01 Raid Finds Empty Rohingya Camp: Thailand

2013-02-04 Asean Must Address Rohingya Issue On Humanitarian Grounds, Surin Insists

"Meanwhile, another 145 Rohingya aboard a Malaysia-bound boat entered Thai waters off the Trang coast yesterday, before they were provided with fresh water and supplies and had their vessel towed out of Thai waters. Two of them are women and there were two children on board."

2013-02-07 Nearly 6,000 Rohingya Refugees Enter Thai Waters: Army

2013-02-08 Suspect Surrenders For Alleged Smuggling Of Rohingya Migrants: Thailand

BTW from a highly suspect source of information rolleyes.gif

From 2011-07-10:

"Further comparisons between the two are impossible and unfair at this time, but it can only be hoped that Ms Yingluck will emulate Mrs Suu Kyi's longstanding devotion to justice and democracy for her people, which she has maintained at the cost of extreme personal sacrifice.

... ... ...

When he was prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra made several trips to Burma, and Shin Corp, the telecom company formerly owned by his family, signed a deal with an internet service provider run by the son of former Burmese prime minister Gen Khin Nyunt. This deal figured in the decision by the Thai Supreme Court to declare Thaksin guilty of abuse of power and seize 46 billion baht of his assets.

Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej famously praised the military regime's good Buddhist practices not long after the brutal crackdown on the ''saffron revolution'' in 2007.

There were high hopes that the Democrats would take a more proactive stance toward Burma when they came to power in December 2008. Instead Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva went along with other Asean leaders' mildly worded criticisms of the lack of freedom in Burma at regional summits, and then pursued business and resources deals on behalf of Thai companies."

http://www.rohingyab...-policy-on.html

PS business as usual? http://www.daweiport.com/

Edited by rubl

Only looking at the topic here over the last month there doesn't seem to be an indication that the PM Yingluck led government is inclined to show any improvement.

2013-01-30 Thailand Pushes Back 200 Rohingya Boat People: Navy (NOTE: this topic)

2013-01-31 Thailand Will Not Set Up Refugee Camp For Rohingyas: National Security Council

2013-02-04 Asean Must Address Rohingya Issue On Humanitarian Grounds, Surin Insists

"Meanwhile, another 145 Rohingya aboard a Malaysia-bound boat entered Thai waters off the Trang coast yesterday, before they were provided with fresh water and supplies and had their vessel towed out of Thai waters. Two of them are women and there were two children on board."

2013-02-08 Suspect Surrenders For Alleged Smuggling Of Rohingya Migrants: Thailand

Which can be reasonably construed as monumentally and tragically worse because of the hindsight available to her from seeing the monumentally and tragically poor performance of her predecessor, Abhisit.

• Like 1

Which can be reasonably construed as monumentally and tragically worse because of the hindsight available to her from seeing the monumentally and tragically poor performance of her predecessor, Abhisit.

Of course you must understand that these Rohingya fugitives with possibly terrorist tendencies are not red-shirts and therefor of somewhat lesser consequence to our real PM Yingluck who's promoting the Dawei Port project. In an environment friendly way off course, just like she just stated as one of the new strategies for Thailand rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

I wonder how much of a say the politicians actually have on this situation and how much of the decision making is done by the Military.

And the Police.... who did the last towing out to sea leaving them to die less than 2 weeks ago.

Correct. I am still wondering where the balance of decision making (or lack thereof) lies on this issue.

I remember seeing the interview with Abhisit when they had the video of the Rohingyas being towed out to sea and, although he looks like he got caught with his pants down, the way he talked sounded very much like someone who was trying to explain the actions of the military.

I wonder how much of a say the politicians actually have on this situation and how much of the decision making is done by the Military.

And the Police.... who did the last towing out to sea leaving them to die less than 2 weeks ago.

Correct. I am still wondering where the balance of decision making (or lack thereof) lies on this issue.

I remember seeing the interview with Abhisit when they had the video of the Rohingyas being towed out to sea and, although he looks like he got caught with his pants down, the way he talked sounded very much like someone who was trying to explain the actions of the military.

Worse, most likely with the total agreement of a larger part of the Thai population sad.png

Perhaps ignoring it and saying nothing about it as the way Yingluck handled it two weeks ago when the police towed 145 Rohingya out to sea and their deaths is also less than optimal. Kind of lifted her skirt on that one.

Edited by Buchholz

The difference is, I am curious about where the decision making power has laid in the past. I really don't give a rat's behind which party you think is worse--I already know, and that's not what the thread is about.

Having any insight into the problem also requires knowing who did and who is making the decisions.

I am just not sure that it is the case.

Edited by Scott

The difference is, I am curious about where the decision making power has laid in the past. I really don't give a rat's behind which party you think is worse--I already know, and that's not what the thread is about.

Having any insight into the problem also requires knowing who did and who is making the decisions.

I am just not sure that it is the case.

I am curious where the decision making has occurred in the past as well as the present.

On this issue, I've gone out of the way to clearly say all parties have been equally culpable on this issue. You might be mistaking me for other posters that haven't.

I, too, would like to know who did and who is making these decisions, if it's not been the PM, during the last 4 premierships who have all been mistreating the Rohingya.

Edited by Buchholz

Thanks for the response. Apparently, there isn't a great deal of transparency on the issue. Not that Military or Police are noted for transparency. And, I don't know that any political party objected very strongly, if they knew what was actually happening.

The difference is, I am curious about where the decision making power has laid in the past.

I think ultimately decision making power lies with government, but they chose not to get involved and to allow others to make the decisions. Not much opportunity for graft so why not let someone else deal with it...

There were high hopes that the Democrats would take a more proactive stance toward Burma when they came to power in December 2008. Instead Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva went along with other Asean leaders' mildly worded criticisms of the lack of freedom in Burma at regional summits, and then pursued business and resources deals on behalf of Thai companies."

I don't see why, as Chuan Leekpai, Abhisit's mentor, had very close ties with the Burmese Junta in the 90's. IIRC Suthep was latterly part of that failed administration also.

I don't see why, as Chuan Leekpai, Abhisit's mentor, had very close ties with the Burmese Junta in the 90's. IIRC Suthep was latterly part of that failed administration also.

The quoted text is taken a wee bit out of context, therefor here again the link to the page it came from

http://www.rohingyablogger.com/2011/07/new-government-needs-new-policy-on.html

I have no knowledge of these people nor there troubles

n wont pretend otherwise..

Seems to me they took a boat or boats from Burma and had no intentions on coming to thailand

since they got as far as Phuket area before thais fed and watered them..

If they wanted to come to thailand they could of walked ...

Just my thoughts on the original post...

smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Samak's solution was to tow them to a deserted island, where quote:

"To stop the influx, we have to keep them in a tough place. Those who are about to follow will have to know life here will be difficult in order that they won't sneak in."

In regards to the specificity of towing them back out to sea, it's noteworthy that that policy continues through to the Yingluck administration.

2013-02-04

Thailand pushes back 145 Rohingya boat people: Police

Yesterday, in waters off the coast of Trang, marine police stopped a boatload of 145 Rohingya, including women and children.

They were given food and water and then pushed back out to sea.

still no change in policy as more die...

97 Rohingya die of hunger and starvation in the open sea

97 Burmese Rohingya, who fled sectarian and ethnic violence that inflame the State of Rakhine, have died of hunger and exhaustion after being left adrift for at least 25 days at sea without any assistance.

The drama of this tragedy was revealed by the 33 survivors who managed to escape and were miraculously rescued last week by the Sri Lankan Coast Guard.

The survivors' stories reveal that the boat was headed for the coast of Malaysia, when it was intercepted by a navy vessel from Thailand. The Thai military - although Bangkok rejects the accusations - intercepted the boat and seized the engine, leaving it drift with 130 people on board. They spent 25 days at sea, at the mercy of the currents, without food or water, until the Sri Lankan Coast Guard intervened, on February 23, about 250 miles off the east coast, and helped to save the people still alive when the boat began to sink.

Continued:

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Abandoned-by-Thai-Navy,-97-Rohingya-die-of-hunger-and-starvation-in-the-open-sea-27237.html

AsiaNews - February 26, 2013

Edited by Buchholz

This is clearly a long-standing solution to a long-standing problem, the military & police have been executing the governments' policy which hasn't really changed, if any of the politicians wished to try to change it, then they could at least be seen to be trying, but they aren't. sad.png

And when current PM-Yingluck is concerned, about the way Thailand is perceived by other countries, it is this sort of thing which the rest of the world (except Burma) is thinking of, not the odd clause or two in the current Constitution as she would like the voters to believe.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, when it comes to refugees or economic-migrants like the Rohingya. wink.png

• Like 1

This is clearly a long-standing solution to a long-standing problem, the military & police have been executing the governments' policy which hasn't really changed, if any of the politicians wished to try to change it, then they could at least be seen to be trying, but they aren't. sad.png

And when current PM-Yingluck is concerned, about the way Thailand is perceived by other countries, it is this sort of thing which the rest of the world (except Burma) is thinking of, not the odd clause or two in the current Constitution as she would like the voters to believe.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, when it comes to refugees or economic-migrants like the Rohingya. wink.png

Cannot agree with your definition of the Rohingya as economic refugees, it's a lot more complex. With the Burmese government officially discriminating against them, they are commonly assessed as the most persecuted ethic group in the world. Compounding this issue is the refusal by the Burmese government to reinstate citizenship, thereby continence of stateless status for the 800k Rohingya; making their options for departing Burma to escape persecution even more difficult. Those that escape are having to stay in camps for years awaiting processing to other countries.

Cannot agree with your definition of the Rohingya as economic refugees, it's a lot more complex. With the Burmese government officially discriminating against them, they are commonly assessed as the most persecuted ethic group in the world. Compounding this issue is the refusal by the Burmese government to reinstate citizenship, thereby continence of stateless status for the 800k Rohingya; making their options for departing Burma to escape persecution even more difficult. Those that escape are having to stay in camps for years awaiting processing to other countries.

Actually I said "refugees or economic-migrants", meaning two different groups, not "economic refugees".

I'm thinking of the people whom the police who were recently caught trafficking, as cheap/slave-labour ?

I'm also taking the long-term historical view, back to the days when the British South East Asian Empire used to move workers about, to wherever they/we needed cheap labour for mining tin or rubber-tapping, and so on. Which is one reason IMO why so many Indians are on this side of the Andaman Sea, for example.

Edited by Ricardo

More on the current Prime Minister administration's Rohingya policy:

He said the boat carrying the 121 Rohingya, including six women and two children, had been intercepted in Thai waters three days after they left Myanmar around a month ago.

"They came onto our boat, threw away our food and petrol and then towed our boat further out to sea. During the night, they shot at us," he told AFP by phone in Malay, from an immigration detention centre in Lhokseumawe, Indonesia.

Alam said there were originally 12 more members on the boat, but he believed they had been "shot dead and fell into the sea".

AFP - Feb. 27, 2013

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130227/over-100-rohingya-asylum-seekers-rescued-indonesia-0

I have no knowledge of these people nor there troubles

n wont pretend otherwise..

Seems to me they took a boat or boats from Burma and had no intentions on coming to thailand

since they got as far as Phuket area before thais fed and watered them..

If they wanted to come to thailand they could of walked ...

Just my thoughts on the original post...

smile.png

You really believe Thais would allow a mass immigration into Thailand?

And still it continues:

The Thai military has been accused of shooting Rohingya asylum seekers fleeing conflict in western Burma.

People who were on the boat have told the ABC that they jumped into the water and swam when Thai authorities began towing it out into international
waters. It is claimed Thai soldiers then fired shots.

The military has denied shooting the asylum seekers, but Thai villagers say they later retrieved two bodies from the water, one with a gunshot wound
to the head.................

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-08/accusations-thai-military-shot-fleeing-refugees/4561958

Of course, the fact that the military has denied it means it can't possibly be true. thumbsup.gif