Non-O Eligible For Multiple Entries _After_ "use Before" Date?

I presently hold an multiple-entry non-O visa, issued for purposes of investigating retirement; its use-before date is May 8, 2013. I understand that if I enter Thailand on, say May 5, I will be granted permission to stay of 90 days. My question is whether I should be able to get a multiple-entry endorsement to preserve this permission to stay. (After three hours checking here and on the web in general, the answer is not clear, to me, at least. )

I intend to apply for an extension of stay for purposes of retirement, but, for reasons irrelevant here, I want to do this in June or July, and I need to travel in SEAsia before then. I know that I could get a tourist visa, but that would entail changing to an O here, or getting one in another country, so the idea of preserving the permission to stay seems simplest, if it is even possible.

And thanks to the board for having mentioned the need to check the immigration stamp when entering. I June I was only given the 30-day stamp at Don Muang. I had entered my visa number, but it got ignored. When I mentioned this to the officer he checked and peered and looked very confused. Finally, he asked me if 90 days was the appropriate period. I assured him that it was, corrections were made, and I went happily on my way, having dodged a nasty complication, thanks to TV.

You can get a re-entry permit that will keep your last 90 entry valid. Single re-entry permit will cost 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht. Unless making several trips it would be best to just get a single entry for each trip.

You can only get your extension during the last 30 days of your entry. Which would be in July.

Edited by ubonjoe