Thai Always 'pretending' They Know..

FrisoPee

Another thing, broadly connected with the topic, is the interruption from others. Perhaps it's because I'm speaking English but, when I'm talking with my wife, any local present will feel free to talk to her as if I wasn't there. On the other hand, perhaps they interrupt each other too.

Totally agree with this one. Why do they always interupt when im talking in English to my girlfriend? They never do it when the conversation is in Thai. Imagine this happening in a business meeting, they'd be asked to leave the room.

The other manifestation of this is interruptions while you are being served in a shop. I will be trying to keep up with the conversation my wife is having with the assistant and almost always someone leans past us and starts talking. I dexcuse myself and indicate that the person should wait behind us. Although I speak in English (must learn to deal with this in Thai), my gesticulations are understood and the person waits her turn. Always a woman, by the way.

I might try doing it back to them (interrupting in English) Do you think we would be considered as rude, or would it be excepted as normal?

Back on topic. Never ever ask a Thai for directions anywhere! Just a school boy error and a total waste of your time and theirs. crazy.gif Google maps everytime...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing, broadly connected with the topic, is the interruption from others. Perhaps it's because I'm speaking English but, when I'm talking with my wife, any local present will feel free to talk to her as if I wasn't there. On the other hand, perhaps they interrupt each other too.

Totally agree with this one. Why do they always interupt when im talking in English to my girlfriend? They never do it when the conversation is in Thai. Imagine this happening in a business meeting, they'd be asked to leave the room.

The other manifestation of this is interruptions while you are being served in a shop. I will be trying to keep up with the conversation my wife is having with the assistant and almost always someone leans past us and starts talking. I dexcuse myself and indicate that the person should wait behind us. Although I speak in English (must learn to deal with this in Thai), my gesticulations are understood and the person waits her turn. Always a woman, by the way.

I might try doing it back to them (interrupting in English) Do you think we would be considered as rude, or would it be excepted as normal?

Back on topic. Never ever ask a Thai for directions anywhere! Just a school boy error and a total waste of your time and theirs. crazy.gif Google maps everytime...

haha... make sure you use volume same as them and they will get the message....

as for directions.... you are 100 % bang on the money