Thai Always 'pretending' They Know..

FrisoPee

For me.. It's a myth..

'Thai people always pretend that they know, even if they don't'

It's a phrase commonly heard or seen on websites about Thailand.. But what do you think?

Is this true? I feel that Thais are not affraid to say they don't know... Only if there is significant pressure in that situation, like being

in a group or the type of question, status of that person etc..

Just wondering what you all think of this..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thais that I've met in rural villages just want to help. Sometimes there is miscommunication and lost in translation answers. That is when you find yourself heading off in a direction you didn't want to go because the "helpfull" Thai did not fully understand the question.

• Like 1

As cdnvic notes, it's not just Thailand. Most Asian cultures are the same to a greater or lesser degree, try asking for directions in Korea.

It's the same in business, always ask questions in a way where the respondent can answer in a positive manner even if the answer is in the negative.

It's true, especially with my wife and we have been married 15 years. I think that it's all about losing face. We were going to her uncle's house about 100 kilometers from home, I was driving, my wife and her sister were in the truck. We came to an intersection and I asked "which way". My wife says left, her sister says right. I go straight and pull into a service station. I told her to go ask directions to the small town and she wouldn't. Why I asked? She said that if the attendant didn't know he would tell her the wrong way and she didn't want to ask because he would think that she was stupid since she didn't know how to get to her own uncle's house. I asked and got perfect duirections to the village which was only 12 kilometers away. It's pretty much how things go on a daily basis. My wife will always give me an answer even if she knows that I know what she is telling me is total BS.

That doesn't sound particularly Thai to me, just female. I do remember one time desperately looking for a hotel and being told '10 Km, 5 Km' with a vague wave of the hand several times. Needless to say we drove on for a 100Km before we found one.

It's about face. You won't find many Asian cultures where you hear a phrase equal to "I don't know" being used a lot.

Even when it's a doctor's misdiagnosis. Nervous laughter when she learned I'd been in hospital with my kidneys shutting down.

Another thing, broadly connected with the topic, is the interruption from others. Perhaps it's because I'm speaking English but, when I'm talking with my wife, any local present will feel free to talk to her as if I wasn't there. On the other hand, perhaps they interrupt each other too.

They do, but it's bloody annoying. Try driving with a car full of Thais, all talking loudly at the same time.

Another thing, broadly connected with the topic, is the interruption from others. Perhaps it's because I'm speaking English but, when I'm talking with my wife, any local present will feel free to talk to her as if I wasn't there. On the other hand, perhaps they interrupt each other too.

They do, but it's bloody annoying. Try driving with a car full of Thais, all talking loudly at the same time.

Tell me about it! I once drove for over four hours with Errin Dors at the side of me and her sister behind. They talked without a stop all the way. They were supposed to be navigating too. When I came to a t-junction out in Forknowswhereburi, they hadn't a clue which way we should turn. Naturally, the decision was left to me so that they avoided the embarrassment of making a mistake.

We just did a little land measuring job for a family.

Main plot split into 4 on Chanote paper. They just wanted the areas measured. I asked if any marker poles had been moved, 'no' from all concerned :)

So I take my GPS and start my walk arounds... After an hour of incorrect results and lots of fannying about, I ask again, have any poles been moved. By this time most the group have snuck away.. Then the 1 guy remaining informs me that it flooded last year so they might have moved a couple of markers. I wished them luck and drove home....

None of them wanted to admit what I correctly thought, well not in front of the others !!

It's about face. You won't find many Asian cultures where you hear a phrase equal to "I don't know" being used a lot.

Well my staff has no problem, telling don't know. Or even "forgot". But I deal with technician only, which might be different.

It's true, especially with my wife and we have been married 15 years. I think that it's all about losing face. We were going to her uncle's house about 100 kilometers from home, I was driving, my wife and her sister were in the truck. We came to an intersection and I asked "which way". My wife says left, her sister says right. I go straight and pull into a service station. I told her to go ask directions to the small town and she wouldn't. Why I asked? She said that if the attendant didn't know he would tell her the wrong way and she didn't want to ask because he would think that she was stupid since she didn't know how to get to her own uncle's house. I asked and got perfect duirections to the village which was only 12 kilometers away. It's pretty much how things go on a daily basis. My wife will always give me an answer even if she knows that I know what she is telling me is total BS.

That doesn't sound particularly Thai to me, just female. I do remember one time desperately looking for a hotel and being told '10 Km, 5 Km' with a vague wave of the hand several times. Needless to say we drove on for a 100Km before we found one.

I don't think you can find any location in Thailand where you are 100 km from a hotel, unless you drive in circles.

Might have been an "error 25"........the error was 25" behind the steering wheel.

I don't think you can find any location in Thailand where you are 100 km from a hotel, unless you drive in circles.

Might have been an "error 25"........the error was 25" behind the steering wheel.

'

Wasn't.

For me.. It's a myth..

It's a phrase commonly heard or seen on websites about Thailand.. But what do you think?

Is this true? I feel that Thais are not affraid to say they don't know... Only if there is significant pressure in that situation, like being

For me, I haven't really experienced this 'pretending they know' either. They either knew and told me the information I requested (which later turned out to be correct), or if they didn't know, notified me of such, perhaps with a small polite/embarrassed smile.

Edited by katana

"ARRIVING" if you're married to a Thai don't ever think that you are going to "LEAVE" when you thought that you were going to!

If the wife and i are going somewhere important, i tell her an earlier time. Usually 30 minutes is plenty and we leave at the time i want to. Being military, timings are drilled into you. Military time is getting there 5 minutes before. So as you can imagine, i get angry when we are late or don't leave on time. The above rule has helped get rid of that anger.

For me.. It's a myth..

For me, I haven't really experienced this 'pretending they know' either. They either knew and told me the information I requested (which later turned out to be correct), or if they didn't know, notified me of such, perhaps with a small polite/embarrassed smile.

Interesting to read all the comments. I think it's the situation in wich the question is asked. If it's in a group, or even the type of question/situation.. A friend of mine wrote an article about Thai people not being able to swim, someone reacted he asked all his Thai friends, and they all answered: of course I can swim! I think it would be emberassing for everybody to openly admit they are not able to swim, not really Thai/face related.. I experienced numerous of ocassions where Thai people told me they did not know, or did it wrong.. I also experienced people pretending they know.. I just think the statement 'All Thais will pretend they know something' is false.....