Spoof On Thailand Removed From Youtube

webfact

Working fine via Dtac's 3G internet this morning on my mobile. The Thais have a gift for promoting things they are trying to suppress. Not a clue...

Quite true if they had of kept thier mouths shut then this would not have gone viral. It would have been isolated to the U.S now it is world wide. It seems the whole department of culture are standing around hitting themselves in the face with shovel.
  • Like 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isaw it first thimg this morning. Then 107FM reported it has been taken off youtube. I just tried now again, and it is still there.

Cant imagine youtube giving in on that. There is much more controvesial stuff that would justify deletion.

Must say my wife is insulted by it. I told her I think it is funny.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by StefanBBK

I love these announcement where the Thai government always states that

The skit upset many Thai citizens who felt it tarnished the country's image and caused complaints to be filed to the Culture Ministry.

Just exactly how many Thai citizens "caused complaints" since so few speak English and those who do would understand "tongue in cheek" humor.

• Like 2

Well it's been confirmed on Thai TV 3 just now that the video is removed. Thai people are vindicated. wink.pngwink.png

Really????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPJ6Qr-tw8&feature=player_detailpage

Yeah really. wink.pngwink.png

Well that's a relief because I thought I was having one of those Deja Vu moments.

Boy, am I glad YouTube finally got rid of prostitution in Thailand. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

UPDATE:

'Rosetta Stone' SNL skit removed from YouTube, reports Thai official who is not very familiar with YouTube

By Coconuts Bangkok

snl3.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Yesterday, Apinand Poshaya-nond, deputy permanent secretary for culture, told the Nation that a YouTube clip poking fun at Thailand’s sex tourism industry had been removed from the video streaming service, at the Thai government’s request.

The offending clip, if you’ll recall, involved a Saturday Night Live sketch in which a fake, “Rosetta Stone” ad offered to tutor visitors to Thailand on such phrases as “How much?” and “Is that for the whole night?”

Apinand (along with a great many YouTube commenters) took offense at the sketch’s content, and asked that YouTube remove it from their service.

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...r-with-youtube/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-02-05

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

So now if anyone on Thai TV talks in their bad English can we get our Culture Ministers to complain about it, as it sheds bad light on the language?

I loved it years ago when they complained about the underpants with the Thai Flag on them or the 7/11 stores with the colours of the Thai flag (they obviously forgot that the French flag and others have the same colours in them), but then produce underpants with flags from other countries on them. Tit for Tat.

• Like 1

The irony is that in America, the politically right country, where we are so sensitive to our minorities and religious groups and even in schools the walking on rice paper not to offend any ethnic group or sexual innuendos. What a hypocritical society that uses sensitivity to it's own voting benefit. There is 100 years of unused material in the USA just waiting to be used, but who has the balls? Where public apologies and press conferences to smooth every ones hurt feelings. BARF on the shitty comedy abroad!

Edited by brianP

How ridiculous and pathetic the Thai ministry and in effect the country looks when they do this.

Do they think tourists from outside the country are stupid?

I am currently showing 5 friends from China around and they ask me where the "areas associated with sex" (which they can name because of the www.) are ,and want to see.This "holier than thou " attitude fools no one,SNL rules

Yep, it's there - no mention of SEX though.

How to draw attention to the fact that Thailand has a thriving sex industry? Complain about a video on YouTube.

Maybe that was their intention - just in case there are still a few dirty old men who didn't know about it.

More sex tourists - more money spent in Thailand - so the rice mountain can grow even bigger.

• Like 1

Note to De beauty Culture Minister.

Advertising lesson 1./

If you want to bring something like this to the attention of millions, complain about it.

To add just a little to the last sentence, 'or deny it or it ever happened', it is real world out there, if you want to compete in it, you have to be able to recongize that fact.

I saw it first thing this morning. Then 107FM reported it has been taken off youtube. I just tried now again, and it is still there.

Cant imagine youtube giving in on that. There is much more controversial stuff that would justify deletion.

They didn't give in.

The original and all it's re-posts remain unhindered.

.The Culture Minister is clueless.... unless it involves getting a long-term fugitive out of prison after 3 days.

• Like 2

as some people said before : this is just to put the attention off the minister of culture's dad, the big maffia boss from chon buri that seemed to evaded police for many years under everybody's nose

do i feel another youtube blocking for all thailand users comming up ? same as they did a few years ago ?

Edited by belg

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...r-with-youtube/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-02-05

From above link:

NBC has, however, blocked the clip from being accessed in Thailand via its in-house streaming service, so maybe that's what Apinand was talking about

Nope, it's not even that... as actually, ALL in-house online streaming programs direct from NBC are blocked from access in Thailand.

eg. The NBC program, The Office

nbc_zpsd6fd2883.png

I just watched it online via the YouTube link provided in the other original ThaiVisa thread on this subject... Yawn.... Nothing to get worked up about there... for most of the world except the Thai Culture Ministry... But then again, the minister perhaps has some other family matters occurring at present that he'd like to divert attention from.

Meanwhile, it looks to me like the SNL skit was itself a ripoff of another online video entitled "Rosetta Stone for Whores" that was posted about a year ago... Pretty similar in their approach and presentation. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...especially on YouTube and TV.

PS, thanks to member Chooka for posting a link to this other prior YouTube video earlier in this thread... I hadn't caught his link before.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/nChp-nhBJPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I agree, and actually, now having seen both, I'd LOVE for someone to do a "Rosetta Stone for Thai Whores" video... tongue.png Now that would be funny.

BTW, I never would have seen or even heard about the SNL video had it not been for the fuss kicked up by the Thai government. Probably the same with a lot of people. So in the end, all they're doing is drawing more attention to the very issue that they're upset over... Typical...

Just watched with my Thai wife. We both thought it was funny. Seems to be mocking the men of America more so than Thailand. The minister should view this as free advertising!

Yeah, maybe someone can translate the dialogs to him. I just hope it won't be the foreign minister