Notary Office In Cm

KhonJaiYen

For U.S. citizens, I believe the only way is the U.S. consulate ($50 fee, and it's not a notarization, but rather a "legal equivalent" of some kind). No U.S. Notary Public services in Thailand is my understanding.

Do the Brits, Canadians, Aussies have such services in Chiang Mai?

Actually, I had a change of address form (downloaded from the Postal Service website) notarized at the American consulate last week--by the consul himself, complete with embossed seal. The $50 charge is absurd--along with the ungodly fee for adding pages to a U.S. passport.

Edited by mgbcnx

Do the Brits, Canadians, Aussies have such services in Chiang Mai?

There is an Australian 'Justice of the Peace' in Chiang Mai, who can certify/notarise documents. This is a free service, both here and back home.

Here is a link to his info site: http://jpincm.yolasite.com/

I was about to pay a lawyer 500baht a page to notarise some documents for me before I discovered this guy...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yesterday I went to the 3rd floor at Hillside 4 here in Chiang Mai and had two pages notarized for 1000B, (500B each). The documents were for an American deal. The lawyers name is Tum and he speaks English very well. I could not get an appointment with the US consulate for a week because they are not open days other than tuesday and thursday and appointments are made on line. As others have posted it costs about $50 per sig or page at the US consulate

Yesterday I went to the 3rd floor at Hillside 4 here in Chiang Mai and had two pages notarized for 1000B, (500B each). The documents were for an American deal. The lawyers name is Tum and he speaks English very well. I could not get an appointment with the US consulate for a week because they are not open days other than tuesday and thursday and appointments are made on line. As others have posted it costs about $50 per sig or page at the US consulate

Some Thai lawyers are notaries, and most apparently are not. The fee above seems reasonable, certainly compared to American consular services. But then they don't have to pay American Marines to guard them!

The main issue is whether a document notarized by a foreign notary would be accepted by the home country company or government agency needing the notarized doc. Perhaps some might accept while others might require a embassy/consulate notary.

Edited by vagabond48

The main issue is whether a document notarized by a foreign notary would be accepted by the home country company or government agency needing the notarized doc. Perhaps some might accept while others might require a embassy/consulate notary.

Maybe, maybe not. But I have had no problem with Thai notarization or certification in more than one country. Then again, one government agency might have different ideas than another! So, check first!

Edited by Mapguy

• 8 months later...

Do you have the contact details for the lawyer Tum? Need some documens notarized. Or any other lawyer who can do this will do as well.

Do you have the contact details for the lawyer Tum? Need some documens notarized. Or any other lawyer who can do this will do as well.

Only documents notarized at the US Consulate or the US Embassy are recognized as legal in the US. Thailand has NOT signed the UN notary convention.

Edited by khwaibah

Only documents notarized at the US Consulate or the US Embassy are recognized as legal in the US. Thailand has NOT signed the UN notary convention.

They're no fast at signing most conventions.

They're no fast at signing most conventions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If a document needs notarizing to go to the states each state has their own requirements. I would check with the people receiving it to see if a Thai notary would be acceptable.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to let people know that Legal & Business Associates are still at Hillside Plaza & Condotel 4. A lawyer there, Nok, notarized "true copies of originals" for me at $500 baht per page. I made her work for her money, the Canadian government wants a pretty specific quote on each notarized copy. Nok scaned all 12 of my pages and then typed a 9 line paragragh on the bottom of each, stating the specific document name, etc. She only charged me what she quoted over the phone, $500 baht per page, which I think is a reasonable fee for the services of a lawyer (as compared to Language Corner who quoted me $2000 baht per page for the same service, $24,000 baht, the price of a good used motorcycle!). I also had and affidavit sworn by her and again the fee was $500 baht.

As a note on how nice this lady is, I didn't have the affidavit with me during my first visit to her office. We agreed to come back on the next Monday morning. We tried to call her on Monday to see if she was in the office, she called us back to say that she was very sick and not able to make it to the office. I said ok, but asked when she thought she might make it back as I was flying home that Wednesday night, she thought she would be back in the office on Wednesday. I thought great start something and now I am not going to be able to complete it with the same lawyer. Nok ended up calling me Tuesday afternoon, I thought great she's back in the office, but she called me to tell me she was in the hospital and would it be possible for me to meet her there and she would complete my affiidavit before I had to fly home!! I was impressed to say the least as I do not know a Canadian lawyer that would do the same. Luckily I had already changed my plane ticket return date and told her to get better and call me when she was back in the office. I would say I must agree with my wife's statement that this is a lady with a "good heart".

If you need the services of a lawyer I would recommend Nok (Natpassorn Saengthong) at

Legal & Business Associates,

Attorneys at Law.

50/86-87 Hillside Plaza Condotel 4,

4rd floor (very end of the hall),

Huay Kaew Road, Chiang Mai

Nok 0813461426

(this information was listed with Nok's knowledge and permission)

Cheers

That's quite a good tale. It is consistent with what I have heard about this office and the one bit of advice provided gratis (and accurately) by a paralegal there some time back. I have another lawyer elsewhere, but that is not a reflection on this firm.

OP, perhaps you might post something similar on the "Find me a lawyer" threads.

Looking for alternatives to the $50 U.S. notary, I asked at the C.M. Immigration if my yearly retirement visa docs could be notarized by a local Thai notary. The answer was that it would be only accepted from the U.S. Consulate notary. Just a heads up.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to let people know that Legal & Business Associates are still at Hillside Plaza & Condotel 4. A lawyer there, Nok, notarized "true copies of originals" for me at $500 baht per page. I made her work for her money, the Canadian government wants a pretty specific quote on each notarized copy. Nok scaned all 12 of my pages and then typed a 9 line paragragh on the bottom of each, stating the specific document name, etc. She only charged me what she quoted over the phone, $500 baht per page, which I think is a reasonable fee for the services of a lawyer (as compared to Language Corner who quoted me $2000 baht per page for the same service, $24,000 baht, the price of a good used motorcycle!). I also had and affidavit sworn by her and again the fee was $500 baht.

As a note on how nice this lady is, I didn't have the affidavit with me during my first visit to her office. We agreed to come back on the next Monday morning. We tried to call her on Monday to see if she was in the office, she called us back to say that she was very sick and not able to make it to the office. I said ok, but asked when she thought she might make it back as I was flying home that Wednesday night, she thought she would be back in the office on Wednesday. I thought great start something and now I am not going to be able to complete it with the same lawyer. Nok ended up calling me Tuesday afternoon, I thought great she's back in the office, but she called me to tell me she was in the hospital and would it be possible for me to meet her there and she would complete my affiidavit before I had to fly home!! I was impressed to say the least as I do not know a Canadian lawyer that would do the same. Luckily I had already changed my plane ticket return date and told her to get better and call me when she was back in the office. I would say I must agree with my wife's statement that this is a lady with a "good heart".

If you need the services of a lawyer I would recommend Nok (Natpassorn Saengthong) at

Legal & Business Associates,

Attorneys at Law.

50/86-87 Hillside Plaza Condotel 4,

4rd floor (very end of the hall),

Huay Kaew Road, Chiang Mai

Nok 0813461426

(this information was listed with Nok's knowledge and permission)

Cheers

Great info! Thanks! I hope they're still around, because i will chance the 500 baht fee first before I spend $50 for a notary just to get a diploma I've already earned. Ha!