Visa For Wife To Australia Do I Need Return Ticket

OK crocken ... your title asks ... "Visa For Wife To Australia Do I Need Return Ticket"

The Australian government don't care if you have a return ticket or not. ... (howls of protest I hear ... but that is what you actually asked).

If, however you are asking does your wife need a return ticket or not ... well ... no. Though the Immigration Officer might request to view it (knowing that the maximum length of stay is 3 months, unless you have a single entry 6 month Visa)

Essentially there are 3 types (length of stay) tourist visas.

• Single entry valid for up to 3 months
  • Single entry valid for up to 6 months ... requires a medical clearance
  • Multiple entry valid for up to 12 months. Each length of stay is to be no longer then 3 months. The entry is valid up till 12 months ... but if you push it and the tourist arrives up to the the day before (or the day ... but can't confirm that) the Visa expires can stay 15 months. 12 + 3 months
Remember though ... a valid Visa does not automatically equate to entry into Australia.

The Visa is (electronically) in the Passport ... the Immigration Officer assesses the Visa and allows entry into Australia.

Does New Zealand count as leaving Australia? ... last time I looked, it's another country, unless you live at Manly Sydney ... then it might appear as home ... w00t.gif

So yes ... a Visa Run does qualify ... but you run the risk of the Immigration Officer contest your wife's validity as a genuine tourist.

Let me know if that helps you.

Well,actually they advise not to buy a ticket until you receive the visa,incase your application fails,so they can't review said ticket.

If you are asked to present a return/onward ticket and they try to refuse entry, you will be given a chance to purchase one. Get a refundable ticket with a credit card that you then cancel. Voila. No sweat.

Firslty no country anywhere ever needs anyone to have a return ticket. For visas & countires that require anything like this then they want to see an onward or return ticket (air. land, sea). This is not the same thing as implying you must go back where you came from or even (more absurdly) have a "return ticket" which implies its one ticket both ways on the same airline - what would be the point of this as it woudl rule out having a ticket home or eslewhere on a different airline, or even on a train?

My Thai mother in law vists us frequently (she is on her 3rd 12month m/e visa now) and she has usually flown in with no onward or return ticket of any kind (I usually book one for her to go home after she gets here).

OK crocken ... your title asks ... "Visa For Wife To Australia Do I Need Return Ticket"

The Australian government don't care if you have a return ticket or not. ... (howls of protest I hear ... but that is what you actually asked).

If, however you are asking does your wife need a return ticket or not ... well ... no. Though the Immigration Officer might request to view it (knowing that the maximum length of stay is 3 months, unless you have a single entry 6 month Visa)

• Multiple entry valid for up to 12 months. Each length of stay is to be no longer then 3 months. The entry is valid up till 12 months ... but if you push it and the tourist arrives up to the the day before (or the day ... but can't confirm that) the Visa expires can stay 15 months. 12 + 3 months
Remember though ... a valid Visa does not automatically equate to entry into Australia.

The Visa is (electronically) in the Passport ... the Immigration Officer assesses the Visa and allows entry into Australia.

Does New Zealand count as leaving Australia? ... last time I looked, it's another country, unless you live at Manly Sydney ... then it might appear as home ... w00t.gif

So yes ... a Visa Run does qualify ... but you run the risk of the Immigration Officer contest your wife's validity as a genuine tourist.

Since you do NOT need an onward/return ticket to enter Australai and there is therefore no reason why any immigraiton officer would want ot see it unless they are turnign you away upon entry.

Because its not required, the airline checking you in to fly into Australia does not need to check if you have an onward/retun ticket.

Having lived in Manly for 10 years (2000-2010) I rarely encountered any Kiwis, and dont recall any I met who actually lived there (although I'm sure there are some). There are however a lot of Brazillians and Englsih backpackers on extended stays (ie: working holiday visas), plus a fair number of English who have migrated, but the vast majority are regualr Aussies. There are not many Brzillians in Austrlaia but when most of them congregate in Bondi & Manly so they account for a lot in those places.

Perhaps 35 years ago there were a lot of Kiwis in Manly but it is an expensive suburb now & Kiwis dont tend ot move to anywehre in particular within Sydney these days.

You are correct about the visa run comment.

If you are refused entry to Australia for some reason,it is the airlines reponsibility to get you out of Australia.If you have no return ticket,they foot the bill.Now they don't want to do that do they.The airlines are very discrimitry as they never pick me(caucasion)but always pick my partner.This is flying from Bangkok to KL.

Hi

I am New Zealand and have taken my wife back 4 times now. I would guess the conditions would be similar for Aussie.

More than 6 months we need to have a medical and xray to show no TB etc. I do not have to show a return ticket when applying at the embassy in BKK I just say we will book a flight after visa approval.

Have never had trouble except the first time it took 7 weks the next ones took 4-7 days, once they know you.

Just down load the forms from the Aussie imigration web site and all is explained.

So you can have TB,go to Oz on a 3 month visa and spread the germs everywhere.You either got TB or not,1 day or 6 months.Never did understand.My missus is sick of getting the xrays and the cost.

Hi

I am New Zealand and have taken my wife back 4 times now. I would guess the conditions would be similar for Aussie.

More than 6 months we need to have a medical and xray to show no TB etc. I do not have to show a return ticket when applying at the embassy in BKK I just say we will book a flight after visa approval.

Have never had trouble except the first time it took 7 weks the next ones took 4-7 days, once they know you.

Just down load the forms from the Aussie imigration web site and all is explained.

So you can have TB,go to Oz on a 3 month visa and spread the germs everywhere.You either got TB or not,1 day or 6 months.Never did understand.My missus is sick of getting the xrays and the cost.

Do you realise you're commenting/replying to posts a year old?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Firslty no country anywhere ever needs anyone to have a return ticket. For visas & countires that require anything like this then they want to see an onward or return ticket (air. land, sea). This is not the same thing as implying you must go back where you came from or even (more absurdly) have a "return ticket" which implies its one ticket both ways on the same airline - what would be the point of this as it woudl rule out having a ticket home or eslewhere on a different airline, or even on a train?

My Thai mother in law vists us frequently (she is on her 3rd 12month m/e visa now) and she has usually flown in with no onward or return ticket of any kind (I usually book one for her to go home after she gets here).

Since you do NOT need an onward/return ticket to enter Australai and there is therefore no reason why any immigraiton officer would want ot see it unless they are turnign you away upon entry.

Because its not required, the airline checking you in to fly into Australia does not need to check if you have an onward/retun ticket.

Having lived in Manly for 10 years (2000-2010) I rarely encountered any Kiwis, and dont recall any I met who actually lived there (although I'm sure there are some). There are however a lot of Brazillians and Englsih backpackers on extended stays (ie: working holiday visas), plus a fair number of English who have migrated, but the vast majority are regualr Aussies. There are not many Brzillians in Austrlaia but when most of them congregate in Bondi & Manly so they account for a lot in those places.

Perhaps 35 years ago there were a lot of Kiwis in Manly but it is an expensive suburb now & Kiwis dont tend ot move to anywehre in particular within Sydney these days.

If you are refused entry to Australia for some reason,it is the airlines reponsibility to get you out of Australia.If you have no return ticket,they foot the bill.Now they don't want to do that do they.The airlines are very discrimitry as they never pick me(caucasion)but always pick my partner.This is flying from Bangkok to KL.

No its NOT the airline's responsibility UNLESS the airline has let you fly in without a valid visa (or passport applicable for visa waver etc). Alternatively if the country you are flying into requires an onward or return ticket AND the airline failed to check this then the airline could be responsible to fly you back. If the airline has done their job correcltly then they cannot be asked to fly you back for free as it woudl be an arbitraty decision by imigraiton at the destination.

Edited by fire and ice

No its NOT the airline's responsibility UNLESS the airline has let you fly in without a valid visa (or passport applicable for visa waver etc). Alternatively if the country you are flying into requires an onward or return ticket AND the airline failed to check this then the airline could be responsible to fly you back. If the airline has done their job correcltly then they cannot be asked to fly you back for free as it woudl be an arbitraty decision by imigraiton at the destination.

Sorry mate but you're wrong.

Regardless of whose fault it is, the airlines have to pick up the tab.

That plus a fine.

• Like 1