Party Monk Defrocked Over Drugs, Sex Romp In Phuket

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a story just yesterday that turned my stomach.

A friend and his wife visited their local temple to offer a gift of food. For some reason, they wanted to give it to the head monk and were directed to his room. After my friend knocked three times, the monk opened the door a fraction and asked that the food be left outside. My friend said that, through the opening, he could see two young boys in the room.

...and...were they naked...or just temple boys......what did he do...just leave it at that?

I would have pushed the door open and asked for an explanation...if he had nothing to hide then he couldn't object could he?

He didn't give me that information and I didn't ask for it. I think that forcing entry might have been beyond the bounds acceptable to his wife. You know how Thais think that monks are to be respected, even though they are scroungers to say the least.

The monk was replaced some time later. For what reason and where he went isn't known.

<snip>

But after this he asked for money to go to Bangkok with an bus. I must say I was annoyed as real monks should never ask for money so I gave him the bracelet back.

<snip>

My God! Haven't those two got to Bangkok yet? biggrin.png

About 5 years ago I was flagged down by a couple who wanted a lift in my pick-up. They got in the back and after a while banged the side indicating that they wanted to get off. So they did and then asked for money to go to Bangkok!

I simply said no and drove off.

I think they then had a long walk back to their wat to try and scam some other poor sucker.

I never stop now.

Sorry.

<snip>

But after this he asked for money to go to Bangkok with an bus. I must say I was annoyed as real monks should never ask for money so I gave him the bracelet back.

<snip>

My God! Haven't those two got to Bangkok yet? biggrin.png

About 5 years ago I was flagged down by a couple who wanted a lift in my pick-up. They got in the back and after a while banged the side indicating that they wanted to get off. So they did and then asked for money to go to Bangkok!

I simply said no and drove off.

I think they then had a long walk back to their wat to try and scam some other poor sucker.

I never stop now.

Sorry.

Got to agree with that. Couple of years back I stopped to give a monk a lift. I got the money to go to Bangkok pitch. When he knew I was not interested he asked to get out. I would never stop for a monk walking the open road between Patong and Chalong.

Buddhism is not a cult.....although there are cult like sects within it..(such as Dhammakaya).

It does demand celibacy from the monks and novices, but they are free to leave. If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen....if you can't keep the precepts, then disrobe.

but we know that many 'monks' ordain not for the correct reason...to gain enlightenment....but because it is an easy life and can be profitable too for those with no morals.

However do not tar all with the same brush.

I realize that Buddhism is a way of life, one which I mostly follow myself specifically because its essence seems to be against practising weird rituals and doing other silly things. I was tongue in cheek though when I used the word 'cult'. Though many Thais seem to treat Buddhism here more along the lines of some South East Asian sect of Santeria than a cool way to look at and lead your way through the material world. :)

The celibacy thing has got to be tough.

Most religions have their rogues.

This guy obviously couldn't take it anymore.

Should have taken off the robes before renting the room if he was trying to hide his straying from the rules.

They should give all monks a few days a year to get their yayas out!

• Like 1

One of many many monks up to naughtiness I think. Then again any cult that demands celibacy from its followers will end up with many who eventually need to blow their gasket on hookers or whatever warm body they may have access to in the temple.

Buddhism is not a cult.....although there are cult like sects within it..(such as Dhammakaya).

It does demand celibacy from the monks and novices, but they are free to leave. If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen....if you can't keep the precepts, then disrobe.

but we know that many 'monks' ordain not for the correct reason...to gain enlightenment....but because it is an easy life and can be profitable too for those with no morals.

Why is Dhamakaya considered by many, like yourself, a cult? I've been there myself and though I don't subscribe to any religion I hardly can say that my observations were led me to be witness to cult activities. They are different from Theravada Buddhism no doubt. But they are not isolating members from friends and families or anything that I can see that is traditionally a cult like activity.

They abandoned the idea that one must live many lives to find Nirvana for a more shall we say "Christian idea" that they have Nirvana in them already. In other words they can find salvation in this life. Which is why it must be so appealing to the masses.

I think you're missing how the word "cult" is used here - not in the sense of some mind-control, brainwashed following of a charismatic leader; but in the technical sense in that they are a splinter group off of traditional Buddhism. By that definition, some consider Buddhism a Hindu cult; and similarly that's why Christians refer to Mormonism and other groups as cults.

In a sense, when we accept the rules of any culture we decide to live in and follow its rules, it has become a cult, really.

By that definition, some consider Buddhism a Hindu cult; and similarly that's why Christians refer to Mormonism and other groups as cults.

Following that logic christianity and islam are just cults of judaism, which got it roots probably from hindu.

I always laugh when christians call Scientology a cult. One is just as wacky as the next!

Last year I was visiting the monks in a temple in Laos. I climbed the tower to check out the view of the area. I looked down at the buildings below and there was a monk crowched down on the verandah by himself having a romantic time alone with his right hand inside his robe. He did not know that I was in the tower... until I rang the bell and he looked up shocked and ran away

That was kind of mean of you to ring the bell!

Judaism most definitely did not originate from Hinduism. I second that

Evidence of its' other origins?

This is not the place (or forum) to discuss religion. But history is frequently distorted to suit the belief system of those in power, or those who would like to change another's beliefs. The progressives in western societies. The space monkey in Iran who says the Holocaust never happened. Many examples throughout history.

I am a student of History, and a Christian. I believe Judaism was established by the Word of God, spoken through the prophets. I haven't heard or read of any reasonable argument to refute this. But religion is a system of beliefs, and not scientific facts. I'm betting the farm that my religious beliefs are the right ones. If not, I'll be fookt for eternity.

I'm betting the farm that my religious beliefs are the right ones. If not, I'll be fookt for eternity.

Nah......you'll be alright. You'll be dead, just like the rest of us.

.. and that's why I love KB's comments so much. Simply brilliant :D

This is not the place (or forum) to discuss religion. But history is frequently distorted to suit the belief system of those in power, or those who would like to change another's beliefs. The progressives in western societies. The space monkey in Iran who says the Holocaust never happened. Many examples throughout history.

I am a student of History, and a Christian. I believe Judaism was established by the Word of God, spoken through the prophets. I haven't heard or read of any reasonable argument to refute this. But religion is a system of beliefs, and not scientific facts. I'm betting the farm that my religious beliefs are the right ones. If not, I'll be fookt for eternity.

I think this is a perfect place for discussion about religion and beliefs as there is variety of people with different views.

I'm very interested to hear about your opinions. You do understand the difference between believing god and the science. Why do you still support the judaism and religion in general?

For my view of the world, we can't beyond the point of big bang.. it's an culmination point of science, philosophy and religion. We have not yet figured out how to see what happened before that. Then again, even that is just an theory which will probably change in the future. "what gave the energy for the big bang to happen?"

The difference between religions and science is that science embraces the new information and finds a way to adapt to it as beliefs tend to deny changes of knowledge and tries keep things in the way they used to be.

By that definition, some consider Buddhism a Hindu cult; and similarly that's why Christians refer to Mormonism and other groups as cults.

Following that logic christianity and islam are just cults of judaism, which got it roots probably from hindu.

Judaism most definitely did not originate from Hinduism.

That's for SURE !

Haha. This is actually hilarious. I wonder how many more monks are up to naughty things during their quest for enlightenment? tongue.png

Many.

I personally do not find it funny at all.

They're no different to God-men anywhere else in the world.

Religion is a magnet for charlatans and scoundrels..........always has been.

• Like 1

Last year I was visiting the monks in a temple in Laos. I climbed the tower to check out the view of the area. I looked down at the buildings below and there was a monk crowched down on the verandah by himself having a romantic time alone with his right hand inside his robe. He did not know that I was in the tower... until I rang the bell and he looked up shocked and ran away

That was kind of mean of you to ring the bell!

Bell end

One of many many monks up to naughtiness I think. Then again any cult that demands celibacy from its followers will end up with many who eventually need to blow their gasket on hookers or whatever warm body they may have access to in the temple.

Thanks Fred, you beat me to it.. I know a handful of monks who shouldn't be.. but many, many more who are great people and monks..

And yes, we are not a cult.

Haha. This is actually hilarious. I wonder how many more monks are up to naughty things during their quest for enlightenment? tongue.png

Many.

I personally do not find it funny at all.

That's true for sure. But how about the Dahli Lamma, John Paul ii, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Billy Graham.... Charlatans? Scoundrels?

The celibacy thing has got to be tough.

Most religions have their rogues.

This guy obviously couldn't take it anymore.

Should have taken off the robes before renting the room if he was trying to hide his straying from the rules.

tough choice maybe leave on robes and get freebie room or take off robes and pay. wonder where the cash came from for the hookers and drugs???

I think this is a perfect place for discussion about religion and beliefs as there is variety of people with different views.

I'm very interested to hear about your opinions. You do understand the difference between believing god and the science. Why do you still support the judaism and religion in general?

For my view of the world, we can't beyond the point of big bang.. it's an culmination point of science, philosophy and religion. We have not yet figured out how to see what happened before that. Then again, even that is just an theory which will probably change in the future. "what gave the energy for the big bang to happen?"

The difference between religions and science is that science embraces the new information and finds a way to adapt to it as beliefs tend to deny changes of knowledge and tries keep things in the way they used to be.

I am not a learned man in science but I am fascinated by the new and incredible discoveries made in quantum physics and molecular biology. When science uncovers the incredibly perfect architecture of the human genome or discovers mysteries of matter, anti-matter, string theories, time and space, it becomes more clear that the universe could not have happened by random events. Scientific studies of statistical models further debunk the theory of evolution. Science shows us that human life evolving from pond slime is statistically impossible. Only the intelligent design theory of a Creator can not be disproved. Not proven, just not disproven. And therein lies my belief in God. If you want to believe that we came from monkeys, that's OK with me. But you cannot argue that science and religion are mutually exclusive.

I am not a learned man in science but I am fascinated by the new and incredible discoveries made in quantum physics and molecular biology. When science uncovers the incredibly perfect architecture of the human genome or discovers mysteries of matter, anti-matter, string theories, time and space, it becomes more clear that the universe could not have happened by random events. Scientific studies of statistical models further debunk the theory of evolution. Science shows us that human life evolving from pond slime is statistically impossible. Only the intelligent design theory of a Creator can not be disproved. Not proven, just not disproven. And therein lies my belief in God. If you want to believe that we came from monkeys, that's OK with me. But you cannot argue that science and religion are mutually exclusive.

I think you should educate yourself in science. That would make things clearer.

Now you are telling that if you see Mona Lisa painting, it just was there, created by god and nobody did the actual work. That was not really the case.

The science has never been nor never will be perfect. There is no definite answers for us. That's the beauty of the science. We'll never have the definitive answers. The world and life in it is getting forward, nothing is fully static.

Do you believe that world is only 6000 years old and created by god?

If you do, what is your view how large is the known universe - in light years?

And btw. We did not evolved from the monkeys, we evolved from the proteins which was long time before we became amoebas.

Edited by Guest

That's true for sure. But how about the Dahli Lamma, John Paul ii, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Billy Graham.... Charlatans? Scoundrels?

All good men, but, deluded.

Let's face it, they all couldn't have been right as they all had different religions.

I believe Judaism was established by the Word of God, spoken through the prophets. I haven't heard or read of any reasonable argument to refute this. But religion is a system of beliefs, and not scientific facts.

Are you serious?! You haven't been paying attention then.

By the way, it,s rather telling that when you mention "those who would like to change another's beliefs" you cite only the leader of a Muslim country and "the progressives in western societies". I'm not sure you've been doing so well in your study of history.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Judaism was invented by a bunch of guys who drew up a code for keeping food safe in the absence of refrigerators (don't eat pig meat) and other vexed questions of the day. They also invented some answers to questions about the origins of the place in which their people lived.