Thai Government Bans Xanax

webfact

Looking through a website about this drug Alprazolam, which Xanax is a trade name of, Drugs.com & Wikipedia.

What would happen if you had been prescribed it, for example UK or USA, then you enter the Kingdom with it and the doctors prescription? As it would be illegal here, so would the prescription be your get out of gaol card?

Just a thought/question.

It was discussed in the health forum some time ago. I believe the law is you're allowed to bring/carry drugs for own consumption within a limited period, I think it was like a month. So for example if your doctor prescribe 3 tabs daily, you should be ok carrying 90 tabs. But ask your doctor first, he should know.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the Thai government, as much as possible of these chemical shit products from Pfizer and similar companies must be banned. Chemicals in your body can never give you any benifit.

This sort of comment always baffles me - your body is made 100% out of "chemicals" - and even if you were to narrow it to "exogenous chemicals" then I would just have to wonder if you plan to never eat or drink anything.

Your body is not made of of synthetic chemicals. Therein lies the difference. Drugs of any description are usually a bandaid for the symptom rather than treat the causes. Drugs are usually modified natural substances and every man-made drug bar none, has toxic side effects. Can't see how anyone defends this shit (any drugs).

water has toxic side effects if consumed excessively

• Like 1

I agree with the Thai government, as much as possible of these chemical shit products from Pfizer and similar companies must be banned. Chemicals in your body can never give you any benifit.

Unless of course you have a medical condition - say epilepsy - and the valium prevents or stops the seizures... Abusing drugs is a bad idea, prescription drugs aren't.

If anyone read the rest of the article they would see it says the drug will still be available at the hospital. So I am assuming that you now need a doctors prescription.

Price will be higher, but if you need it it's still available just by prescription only (same as most any other country in the world).

It was actually already controlled in Thailand and you were only suppose to be able to purchase it with a doctors prescription, but as we all know the local pharmacies will sell all kinds of controlled goodies with or without a script.

Where they are useful as someone said for short periods of time as a poster said, they are also highly addictive and should probably be controlled.

• Like 1

date rape drug?

my god, you'd have to chew a handful to make that work, no?

not if you put them in a drink booze and Xanax not a good mix. Take it from one who knows.

The problem with these pills is that they do do what they are supposed to do. However, as you cannot control the crime from them you have to ban them.

Before you jump all over the Thai government look what they are trying to do with guns in the US.

Again hunting is a good thing. Having a gun is not a bad thing. Making people that are law abiding go through hoops while there is o control over the criminals is stupid.

People are still going to bring the drugs into the country.

The Thai government should put a ban on the drugs with a 10 year penalty plus time for the trafficking added on in Bangkok Hilton.

Same should be done in the US. Do a crime with a weapon no matter if it is a knife or gun get an extra 15 years non parole eligible added on to what ever the crime is.

Then just outlaw booze.

It takes days to feel the affects of Xanax for the new prescriber.

Are you kidding me? It takes affect in about 40 minutes, and you can feel it in your system the next day.

Can also cause mood swings.

They stopped over the counter sales - you can have a script or get it in Thailand from your Doc. over the counter shops must return the supplies - it is a controlled med not a banned one.

It was never an OTC drug, you always needed a script. If it was sold to you without a script its because you aren't Thai. To the seller there's less chance of them getting busted.

Foreigners have better access to drugs in Thailand than Thais do.

• Like 1

Probably there are too many people who reach for a pill when they have a problem rather than look at their lifestyle and make changes to it but to ban a drug seems like an over reaction. Tighter control over it's availability is a sensible move and if it can still be obtained by people through a doctor's prescription then it shouldn't be a problem for those people who have a genuine need to take Xanax. I know the system is still open to abuse but it should be better than a free for all in the pharmaceutical cupboard.

• Like 1

NOW what will all the Sukhmvit road vendors sell?

They said that they will "ban XANAX".....not alprazolam. Maybe this is a pharmaceutical coup to take control of the market, Thai generic Zanax only?

OOOPS....just read the FULL article. Ban on ALL alprazolam....title is misleading.

Edited by templedog

Nothing to worry about folks ! The govt. have given 4 months notice, so that everyone can build up their stockpiles. If they really meant to get it off the market, the ban would have ' immediate effect' - more window dressing, and another blackmarket opportunity.

That would be banned right away in educated governments in the world. If the Thai government ban it right away they would probably have to pay the pharmacy's for their stock holdings and it would not be approved, you know what I meen.

This sort of comment always baffles me - your body is made 100% out of "chemicals" - and even if you were to narrow it to "exogenous chemicals" then I would just have to wonder if you plan to never eat or drink anything.

Your body is not made of of synthetic chemicals. Therein lies the difference. Drugs of any description are usually a bandaid for the symptom rather than treat the causes. Drugs are usually modified natural substances and every man-made drug bar none, has toxic side effects. Can't see how anyone defends this shit (any drugs).

water has toxic side effects if consumed excessively

Beat me to it. Toxicity depends on dosage. I'm awaiting the anti-vaccination nutters to start commenting and spouting their pseudo science foolishness.

date rape drug?

not if you put them in a drink booze and Xanax not a good mix. Take it from one who knows.

The problem with these pills is that they do do what they are supposed to do. However, as you cannot control the crime from them you have to ban them.

Before you jump all over the Thai government look what they are trying to do with guns in the US.

Again hunting is a good thing. Having a gun is not a bad thing. Making people that are law abiding go through hoops while there is o control over the criminals is stupid.

The Thai government should put a ban on the drugs with a 10 year penalty plus time for the trafficking added on in Bangkok Hilton.

Same should be done in the US. Do a crime with a weapon no matter if it is a knife or gun get an extra 15 years non parole eligible added on to what ever the crime is.

Then just outlaw booze.

It takes days to feel the affects of Xanax for the new prescriber.

Are you kidding me? It takes affect in about 40 minutes, and you can feel it in your system the next day.

Can also cause mood swings.

yes, i think he is talking about prozac and similar drugs.

As for the effects of xanax lingering, i think you may be confusing it with valium. i find the effects of xanax are pretty much entirely gone by the time you get out of the shower the next morning, though waking up may be tough.

Though I do not have the same contempt for all drugs, since many can have benefits, especially in countries like Thailand (last I heard TB and Malaria were issues, along with other communicable diseases)

You will only see this in a country that does not have 2 drug company lobbiest for every politician. Course, if they did it would make the corruption we see hear in the US become out of control in Thailand. I'm am talking about politician talking money from these groups to get bills passes that would make more drugs available.

Xanax is abused, but as far as I know not for date rape. That's new to me. It is used (abused) here for it speed effects by students up late cramming for test and teenagers mostly, I think.

That being said, the Thai government dosen't seem too in touch with reality. Almost moronic, which is scary.

They said that they will "ban XANAX".....not alprazolam. Maybe this is a pharmaceutical coup to take control of the market, Thai generic Zanax only?

Nah. Govt would rather people just self medicate the old fashioned way....alcohol. Thai alcohol companies thought their market share was slipping. Thais are decades behind when it comes to mental health and more easily understand wives tales, ghosts or blame things on a previous life. Denial and the inability to take responsibility are also a factor. Xanax? That's for crazy people.:blink:

• Like 1

You've seen them selling Xanax at sukhumvit vendors? which one(s)? i've never seen there

Last Dec.was in Suk. area,between 23 and 35, no chemist sold it, but the first two stalls we asked both had stock.

Phuket was the place where every chemist sold it no problem.

Wow what a headline. Ban Xanax but let's consider legalizing gambling? I have a pretty strong hunch gambling would cause way more problems than Xanax ever could or has. As far as xanax I take it to help fall asleep because of all the dam_n barking soi dogs that have taken over the streets etc etc. Thailand should be embarrassed with the dog problem it has. I can't even believe TL is a considered country for the Dubai World Forum/Expo. What a load of hogcock!!

Though I do not have the same contempt for all drugs, since many can have benefits, especially in countries like Thailand (last I heard TB and Malaria were issues, along with other communicable diseases)

You will only see this in a country that does not have 2 drug company lobbiest for every politician. Course, if they did it would make the corruption we see hear in the US become out of control in Thailand. I'm am talking about politician talking money from these groups to get bills passes that would make more drugs available.

Xanax is abused, but as far as I know not for date rape. That's new to me. It is used (abused) here for it speed effects by students up late cramming for test and teenagers mostly, I think.

That being said, the Thai government dosen't seem too in touch with reality. Almost moronic, which is scary.

Actually the reverse. " Xanax is a drug prescribed to decrease anxiety and insomnia. It is a sedative, in the drug class of benzodiazephines, which depress the central nervous system in order to decrease anxiety." So no the student would not stay awake they would go to sleep.

• Like 2

date rape drug?

You may not take medicine but a psychologist may be able to help you.

• Like 1

We defend their sensible use because we're sensible. Edited by saroq

It's not a date rape drug, they use much more powerful powdered barbituates for things like knocking people out in bars. If you're drugged and robbed in a bar someone will have dosed your drink with barbituates.

As for students using it for it's speed effect, that's simply not possible. This drug does the opposite which is why it's often used as a sleeping aid on long haul flights.

The people who will be mostly affected by this will be long term users who use it for anxiety, they will suddenly have a major problem if it's not available any more as they are probably addicted to it but don't realise it. Also their anxiety issues will most likely recur.

I wouldn't expect this to make much difference though, they banned Midazolam a couple of years ago but it's still available in some places although pretty rare. Xanax doesn't work as a sleeping tablet on flights for me so I use Midazolam which works perfectly. These are all in the same class of drugs as Xanax and Valium. They are all benzodiazepenes.

The banning of the cold medicine pseudoephedrine in Thailand widely known as the brand 'sudafed' in the UK really annoyed me as it was a very good decongestant which I always used when I had a cold. Of course you can still buy it in some pharmacies throughout Thailand if you look around. They banned it as the active ingredient can be used in the manufacture of some illicit drugs.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1