Coconut Husk Chips For Smoking Meat

jaideeguy

I have gotten some success from using local fruit woods for smoking pork belly bacon and now would like to experiment with using coconut husk chips for slow smoking a pork roast and then if successful, i may do some dry cured belly bacon. My question is [if anyone has done this]....should I wet the coconut chips in water before or use them dry??

The 'chips' are approx 1 inch square and have the outer husk....no shell. used for media for plants. 1 big bag for 70 thb.

Anyone with any experience in this??

Hello Jaidee, I was going to try coconut husk , but a friend said it gave bitter taste, but I found a meat plant that only uses coconut husk for all their smoked meat, so who knows ??My son has smoked lots of meat when he worked for Disney and Hard Rock as a chef and he said the only thing they used was fresh corn hush (green) so I tried it and I must say and my friends that tried a taste said it was the best , I made a homemaid smoker out of things I had around the house and on top of the almost burned out charcoal I took a bean can with the lid still attached and punched a couple of holdes in the back side with a nail and cramed in two whole corn husk I just peeled from the corn I bought at a roadside stand and laid the can on top of charcoal and let it smoke the can full lasted at very low heat (remember you're not cooking just smoking ) for a little over a hour , and filled the can a second time for a total of 3 hours and it was perfect I think I'll be using corn husk from now own.

If you are interested I just posted a post on my blog about Making Bacon , you might want to give it a look -see Http://malcolmandciejay.blogspot.com also I have pictures of my homemade one and you can e-mail me if you want and I'll send you the pictures . Hope it turns out great mine did and I'm now curing and will smoke a belly for my friend . Good smoking Malcolm (grandpa-m

[email protected]

• Like 2

Jaydeeguy.

I also have been experimenting with smoked meats and various wood chips / sawdust etc. My latest effort was with WELL soaked Coconut Husks. Amazing taste for Bacon also that magnificant s-l-o-w Roasted Pork Belly.

Good luck! PEP.

I'm no way an experienced smoker, but I have very good experiences with it. For cold smoking I use the "soldering iron in a can" method, no need to make the husk wet in my opinion, but you will have to experiment a bit I suppose. One half of can produces smoke for approx 45 minutes, then you need to refill

This last weekend I slow roasted a pork butt with soaked coconut chips and did have to fight the fire a few times and temps were down below my preferred 225-250f range and the family was hungry, so i removed it at 154/f and finished it off in the microwave. Decent mild taste...no bitterness. Next time I'll use dry chips.

I'm told by a dedicated smoker friend that Lamyai wood is good for smoking.

sounds interesting. I understand mango wood is quite nice as well.

Yes, I heard that too.

Me too, but I heard from several sources that mango contains a poison, not 100% sure if it's true, but I won't take the risk sick.gif

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

It's true!! Mango has the same toxins as poison ivy/oak and if you have an allergy to it, then it could make you sick. We used to gather honey from wild bees that were in a mango forest...great tasting honey, but we gave some to a neighbor and she had an allergy, swole up and had to be rushed to the hospital before she went into respiratory failure......same same if a person has the allergy and someone is burning mango. my mom had the allergy, but loved mangos and we had to peel them for her because the toxins were in the skin.

Having said all that, I know a local well known sausage maker that uses mango wood for smoking.

I'll stick with lumiyai and the coconut husks were decent.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

It's true!! Mango has the same toxins as poison ivy/oak and if you have an allergy to it, then it could make you sick. We used to gather honey from wild bees that were in a mango forest...great tasting honey, but we gave some to a neighbor and she had an allergy, swole up and had to be rushed to the hospital before she went into respiratory failure......same same if a person has the allergy and someone is burning mango. my mom had the allergy, but loved mangos and we had to peel them for her because the toxins were in the skin.

Having said all that, I know a local well known sausage maker that uses mango wood for smoking.

I'll stick with lumiyai and the coconut husks were decent.

Being a cultivated tree, wouldnt lumyai also contain some pesticide residues?