My Turn - Savannakhet Non-O Thai Spouse

If that is correct you did not have to go to Bangkok - only that it would be under consideration for one month after you extended in Chiang Mai. But to me is appears they said you need a new entry of 15 days and immediately apply for conversion to 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok for Thai wife extension of stay (Chiang Mai does not do this but Bangkok does) and then after 60 days you would return to Chiang Mai to apply for the actual one year extension of stay for Thai Wife.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried a service outsidethe consulate gate and ended up just getting the form from them as the person filling it out had no idea what she was reading. Filled the form myself and presented the documents and 5,000 Baht. No requirement for money in the bank for a multientry. I think they may be confused with marriage extension requirements. This was December.

Edited by Gonsalviz
  • Like 1

I've just returned from Savannakhet, Laos, where I was granted a one-year, multiple entry Non-O visa (Non-O Thai Spouse). No problems at all.

I took a rather convoluted route, flying to Nakhon Phanom, spending a night in Mukdahan, and then crossing the bridge the following morning. I spent a night in Savannakhet and then returned back to Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom - spent a night in Nakhon Phanom and the flew back to Bangkok today.

It was a fun trip...

Pics are here...

http://photos.58bits.com/a-short-trip-to-savannakhet-laos/

• Like 1

I've just returned from Savannakhet, Laos, where I was granted a one-year, multiple entry Non-O visa (Non-O Thai Spouse). No problems at all.

I took a rather convoluted route, flying to Nakhon Phanom, spending a night in Mukdahan, and then crossing the bridge the following morning. I spent a night in Savannakhet and then returned back to Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom - spent a night in Nakhon Phanom and the flew back to Bangkok today.

It was a fun trip...

Pics are here...

http://photos.58bits...vannakhet-laos/

Nice pictures (yes I did view them).

So....did you have to show funds and if so, how much and seasoned for how long etc.?

Thanks

Hi arminbkk,

Nope - I was not asked to show any evidence of any funds. ;-)

(Glad you liked the pics)

Thanks, and congrats!

Some reports in the past few weeks say it was required, some say it wasn't.

Seems like it is random.

Bit of a gamble, not in the least because of the price of the Laos visa that you first have to get.

Were you attended by the 'usual' lady there or another person?

And did you notice anyone else applying for the same but also not having to show any funds?

Were you attended by the 'usual' lady there or another person?

And did you notice anyone else applying for the same but also not having to show any funds?

The Thai official that served me when I went to pick up my passport was a male, in his 30s.

I didn't see anyone else applying for a non-o, at least not during the period that I was there. It wasn't that busy either.

It's be suggested by others that if you use a visa run service, that you might be asked to show evidence of funds.

• Like 1

I normally go back to Australia to renew my 1 year Multiple O based on marriage (6 years running) therefore my original marriage certificate - Thai and Australian - is filed away somewhere in Mum's house. A copy is sufficient at the Thai consulate in Brisbane.

This year I was thinking of going through the process in Savannakhet. Has anyone gotten away with just producing a copy of the marriage certificate? It should be noted we were married at the Thai consulate in Sydney more than 20 years ago so not sure if I could obtain an original here.

You cannot obtain a original here, unless the original is destroyed and you file a police report to get a duplicate. I would not advise that as that would be filing a false police report.

Can't say if they want to see the original, maybe not if you can produce a khor rhor 2 form. (The entry into the wedding register itself).

You cannot obtain a original here, unless the original is destroyed and you file a police report to get a duplicate. I would not advise that as that would be filing a false police report.

Can't say if they want to see the original, maybe not if you can produce a khor rhor 2 form. (The entry into the wedding register itself).

Thanks Mario. Probably go my regular route just to be sure to be sure. Will bring the originals back with me and try Savan next year - if the process is still up and running.

I normally go back to Australia to renew my 1 year Multiple O based on marriage (6 years running) therefore my original marriage certificate - Thai and Australian - is filed away somewhere in Mum's house. A copy is sufficient at the Thai consulate in Brisbane.

This year I was thinking of going through the process in Savannakhet. Has anyone gotten away with just producing a copy of the marriage certificate? It should be noted we were married at the Thai consulate in Sydney more than 20 years ago so not sure if I could obtain an original here.

I was at Savannaket just a few weeks ago .The rep of Savana Vegas Visa service told me the Marriage cert had to ba an origional .I got it returned with my Passport next day .

I had Kor Ror 2 and they STILL asked for the original Kor Ror 3. Daft or what. My original KR 3 is not original. They are copies in the fancy thingy, BUT, OK. laugh.png

Just a thought for you Mick, probably you've already done so anyway, but worth a check to see whether your wife has her original Thai cert in LOS, I think both husband and wife are issued with the originals, maybe she brought her one back with her in which case you could likely use that, saving you the trip to Oz.

quote name='MickGC'

Just a thought for you Mick, probably you've already done so anyway, but worth a check to see whether your wife has her original Thai cert in LOS, I think both husband and wife are issued with the originals, maybe she brought her one back with her in which case you could likely use that, saving you the trip to Oz.

quote name='MickGC'

They asked to see the originals and took the copy, BUT, my originals are copies in the fancy folder laugh.png . Daft really, God knows where the originals went, with all the visa crap l have done over the years l think along the way the ''copy'' has been given back. sad.png

I suspect you just registered your marriage at the consulate after getting married under Australian law.

You would not of gotten a Thai marriage certificate just a document proving the registration. If your wife has kept her ID card and house book up to date all you would need is a Kor Ror 22 from the Amphoe and copy of your Australian marriage certificate for a visa or extension of stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting at savannakhet for hopeful successful return of 1 year non imm o multi today,,, using the Savan Vegas service,, but had already prepped all the docs and completed form myself,, interesting the Savan Vegas rep asked if I had 300k in account, updated bank book on Friday,, but silly me last dated entry in book was over 3 weeks ago so got a printout slip from atm on way here to confirm recent funds, and only submitted copies of everything, had all originals with me, but Savan Vegas rep said no need,,, told also no need recent photos,,, no need letter from wife,, and no need updated bank slip,, I'll know who to blame if I'm turned down,, myself for not insisting she submit all docs

Hello Waters, thank you for your report, I did a similar report on Thaivisa a year ago, I was wondering please which day did you apply for your visa at Savannakhet? I would like to confirm the paperwork details as I will reapply for Non O Multiple next month, thank you kindly. wink.png

Wow. Ok, so I've been 'away' for just over a year (long story) and I'm trying to get back up to speed. I'm currently in the UK so will just apply here for my usual 1 year multi O visa, but out of interest do they still do them in Penang? I've been getting mine there for years, going to the consulate myself (and was told visa services could no longer get 1 year multis), without any problems. Penang still ok?

Any different docs required now compared to, say, 2 years ago? As far as marriage certs I always had 2 things - the frilly, fancy certificate thing, and then an all-business looking form with our signatures on (both sides with print on). Is that still the required docs?

I've always just shown money deposited in my wife's Thai bank account to the tune of about 60-80k per month for at least the last 6 months and that was fine. Still good to go? Thank you very much in advance anyone who can answer my questions.

The requirement at most, if not all, Consulates will be marriage certificate and copy plus copies of Thai ID card and home register which should be signed and dated to indicate relationship is still current. The District Office ledger entry copy is normally not required for visa issue but normally asked by immigration now for extensions of stay of one year.

Few reports from Penang - KL has official policy of requirement to show 100k in bank account for multi entry visa.

I will be going over there the first week of April so I will report back here to this thread my trip report cheers.wai2.gif

Last time I went over it was very smooth as long as you have all the correct copies and originals to produce.

• Like 1

On the visa application form it states 'Name, address and Telephone No of Guarantor in Lao PDR'

I don't remember what I wrote on my last application. Please can anyone suggest what to write here, as most of us don't have an address in Laos.

Thanks in advance for any pointers with this smile.png

When that is asked I always put "self" as I am responsible for myself. You may be able to just ignore and put nothing with a first world passport but in general it seems better to put something down.

Hi Lopburi,

thank you kindly, that sounds a sensible option as the only other I could think of was to put the address of the place I will stay in Laos but that wouldn't be accurate, appreciate your help wai2.gif

Will update here as soon as I get back with report

On the visa application form it states 'Name, address and Telephone No of Guarantor in Lao PDR'

I don't remember what I wrote on my last application. Please can anyone suggest what to write here, as most of us don't have an address in Laos.

Thanks in advance for any pointers with this smile.png

I just left it blank on mine.

Although I'm not sure this was necessary at all, I also included a covering letter written by my wife, requesting that I be given a Non-O Thai Spouse visa. I'll post the letter here in a minute (Thai with blanks)

• Like 1

Here's a template you can use for a covering letter from your Thai spouse. It's addressed to the consulate in Savannakhet, so you'll need to update it if you are going to use it anywhere else.

---

[Thai Address (in Thai)]

11 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 [update with your application date]

เรียน ผู้เกี่ยวข้อง ประจำกงสุลใหญ่ ณ สะหวันนะเขต

เรื่อง ขออนุมัติวีซ่า Non-O Thai spouse

ข้าพเจ้า [Name and age of Thai spouse] ขอรับรองว่า Mr. [your name in full] สามีที่ถูกต้องตามกฏหมายของข้าพเจ้า ได้เดินทางมายื่นเอกสารตามระเบียบเพื่อขอวีซ่า Non-O Thai spouse ที่ กงสุลใหญ่ ณ สะหวันนะเขต จริง

ขอความกรุณาดำเนินการตามกระบวนการขอวีซ่าดังกล่าวแก่ Mr. [your name in full] ด้วยค่ะ

จักเป็นพระคุณอย่างสูง

(Name of your spouse in Thai)

Edited by waters

I've just returned from Savannakhet, Laos, where I was granted a
one-year, multiple entry Non-O visa married to Thai.

No money required.

No covering letter from wife.

Only needed :- Copy my photo page of my passport

Copy and original of marriage certificate.

Copy of wife's ID and house book

Very quick and easy to apply and pick up visa

I've just returned from Savannakhet, Laos, where I was granted a

one-year, multiple entry Non-O visa married to Thai.

No money required.

No covering letter from wife.

Only needed :- Copy my photo page of my passport

Copy and original of marriage certificate.

Copy of wife's ID and house book

Very quick and easy to apply and pick up visa

I had all that AND my yellow book AND a Kor Ror 2 AND my wife AND he still asked to see our original Marriage certificate. sad.png Crazy really.