Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Would You Send You Child 50-50 Farang To Thai State School ?

scorpio

cccc, i have never said we wilkl leave the 2 twins in isaan, where does it say that, i did say we will let them stay in state school ( in pattaya ) also jbrain is not helping by constanly going off topic and bringing my private life into it, he also stands accused of blatant flaming saying i am talking bsh*t and in his laso post openly called me an idiot . also said i was using 2 names on the forum which is lies, who is the other name and where are the posts ?

now who is in the wrong ?

There used to be a guy who posted on here by the name of Dmax.

His posts were very similair to yours, in fact more than similair they were damm near the same.

I understand the laws of probability, I wonder what the odds are of two guys who dont know each other marrying two girls of a similair background with similair problems.

Take note kiddies, let this be a lesson, dont get involved with a woman with kids.

• Like 2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure i will do. Some gov. school are very good, some are very bad and it it the same about teachers. my daughter make all her study in thailand first 6 primary school gov. secondary 2 year giv. 2 years private in nakhorn. she got to university in Chiang Rai (mae fae luang univ.) and she is now make a doctorate in Beijin. Study depend of the children, thr school, the teachers, ... the parents. As it cincern kindergarden you got strange info as we paid less than 100 baht/day. Now i strongly think that issan is NOT the best place to go to school, you'd better thinking to rent house in bkk, surat,nakhorn , chian rai etc.

I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old in International as having tried a mid range school the results were not good. I checked competitive schools and rates and all were very high. The low end one was 60,000 a year per child and when the oldest one turned 4 they simply doubled the rate to 120,000. I took her out put her at Ramkhamhaeng (Traill International School) and she went ahead in leaps and bounds using the English curriculum. I could not recommend them more highly.

The little one did one term at the first school and with no progress I popped her in with her sister. The cost of schooling here for kids with half a chance, is very high (now we pay 300,000 per child) but the result is worth it. If your two boys are to have any chance in the future don't rely on any form of Thai education to make it happen. The cost is horrendous but the results worth it. You can't take your money with you so think about your kids first and help give them a future.

Thanks also to all the OP's here - they are informative and nothing better than hearing it from experience.

• Like 2

Don't send your child to school in Thailand if you can avoid it.

The more I read Thai visa the more I am convinced that travel narrows the mind.

If we could turn the clock back to 1950 then I would agree - educate your child in the UK.

Schools in the UK have changed since 1950.

Schools in Thailand have changed since then too.

We are in 2013. A good private elementary school in Bangkok will often provide a child with a better education than an inner city government school in the UK (where the OP is from).

Students here are taught respect. morals, and, wait for it....English grammar,

I have seen young foreign English teachers here in Bangkok who have obtained their schooling and degrees in the UK. The ten year old students whom they teach understand English grammar better than they do.

I was lucky to go to a great government primary school outside London in the 1980s. It was luck, it could have been worse.

My klds go to a great primary primary school here.

My advice is to find out what your children like. Encourage their interests. If a child / student likes something enough and if that subject is a niche subject all the better. My kids know who they want to be, what they want to do as a job.

In Thailand students are subject to peer preasure. Peers study on Saturday and Sunday. Extrra classes, private tuition... To be cool in Thailand you study hard and get good grades.

In the UK to be cool a student drops out of education. If they don't drop out they do just enough to get the grades.

To the OP, I do repeat, do the financials. Make sure you have an income, a job, before making the move. Your child can have a good education in the UK and in Thailand. Don't move back here without an income.

Edited by Geekfreaklover
  • Like 1

gamble my money and try to make it work

I'm a gambler and the rule number 1 in gambling is: Don't gamble with more money than you can comfortably lose.

I have taught in both Prathom and Mattayum classes, came across a few 50-50 Farang children, but never seen or heard of them having any problems, but to be honest, the standard of education is way below what your'e children will get in the UK.

Agree if your talking about your basic government schools, and especially up country, perhaps a few exceptions.

Don't agree, if you go the route of pvt / bi-lingual schools which provide a well acceptable level of education. International even better but your kids don't have to go to international schools to get an OK education.

It is of course necessary to sort out which pvt / bi-lingual / international schools are quality oriented, and sort out the fees involved. In my research I discovered that there are private / bi-lingual schools with reasonable fees which achieve better resuts than some of the internatuional schools which cost an arm and a leg.

My Thai granddaughter is in Primary at an excellent private school, full English program costs just under 100,000Baht per year and she's also learning to read, write and speak Mandarin. Kids are strongly encouraged to talk and to discuss, excellent facilities, up to date curriculum, materials and equipment, good sporting, PE, swimming facilities, excellent good quality farang and Thai teachers who are paid well but removed quickly by the Thai owner if there are any performance problems, rooms are air-conditioned.

Our family very happy with the results.

Why not mention the school name and location?

Maybe he's keeping the location and school name secret!

Varee Chiang Mai School, Mahidol Road, Chiang Mai.

ok, ive tried to google private schools in pattaya area. not much info. can anyone provide names of schools and prices per term ? please

There are several international schools in the Pattaya area: look up The Regents School, International School Eastern Seaboard (ISE), St Andrews International School (Green Valley campus), Garden International School, Ban Chang. They will all have an Admissions section which would supply you with up to date fees and enrollment information.

You have to google 'International schools' - just using 'private' won't work.

ok, ive tried to google private schools in pattaya area. not much info. can anyone provide names of schools and prices per term ? please

There are several international schools in the Pattaya area: look up The Regents School, International School Eastern Seaboard (ISE), St Andrews International School (Green Valley campus), Garden International School, Ban Chang. They will all have an Admissions section which would supply you with up to date fees and enrollment information.

You have to google 'International schools' - just using 'private' won't work.

International schools is one possibility but probabby very high fees.

The OP needs to also check Bi-lingual schools, some of which are quite acceptable and some of which have not too bad fees. A couple of posters earlier in this thread named some of these schools already.

so true semper, im also a dreamer and i dream of a life outside of uk. after years of thinking about it i am ready to make the move "if " the wife is ready. as i say im going to use my money and she can keep her money if it all goes belly up.

It looks to me that you already have taken your decision...you probably only need a bit of a push....it is always good to follow our dreams....just remember please: you are not alone....you've got a family to take care of and that's y you gotta be responsible!

Personally, I wouldn't put my kid into any state indocrination center in any country. Homeschooling is the way for me. Just my opinion. Homeschooling isn't always easy, but it is doable and allows the parents to influence and direct their childs education.

I asked previously but no reply, can you do this in Thailand or must you be dragged into the brainwashing system? I have a feeling they wouldnt allow it for the brainwashing reason but...... who knows???

If we could turn the clock back to 1950 then I would agree - educate your child in the UK.

We are in 2013. A good private elementary school in Bangkok will often provide a child with a better education than an inner city government school in the UK (where the OP is from).

I have seen young foreign English teachers here in Bangkok who have obtained their schooling and degrees in the UK. The ten year old students whom they teach understand English grammar better than they do.

I was lucky to go to a great government primary school outside London in the 1980s. It was luck, it could have been worse.

My advice is to find out what your children like. Encourage their interests. If a child / student likes something enough and if that subject is a niche subject all the better. My kids know who they want to be, what they want to do as a job.

In Thailand students are subject to peer preasure. Peers study on Saturday and Sunday. Extrra classes, private tuition... To be cool in Thailand you study hard and get good grades.

In the UK to be cool a student drops out of education. If they don't drop out they do just enough to get the grades.

To the OP, I do repeat, do the financials. Make sure you have an income, a job, before making the move. Your child can have a good education in the UK and in Thailand. Don't move back here without an income.

I dont think they "teach" respect its ENFORCED and therein lies the difference.

Only if I wanted them to become a complete brainwashed sheep would I send ANY child there, Thai culture is the last thing anyone needs and the education ministry should hang its head in shame.

DO not under any circumstances allow your child to become one of the I Pad driven moronic sannuk loving clans of Thai kids that dominate state run schools or any other school that is any thing other than an international school , and then bare in mind that your kids will get their grades no matter what their level of ability or education they receive is.

They don't do extra-curricular lessons because it's cool, they do it because they have to otherwise they wouldn't get the desired grades to enter the XYZ stream at school or become a doctor, engineer etc. The fact that they have to do that outside of school should give you some pause for thought . . .

Why do you think the extra-curricular tutoring industry worth hundreds of millions of baht every year exists?

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't put my kid into any state indocrination center in any country. Homeschooling is the way for me. Just my opinion. Homeschooling isn't always easy, but it is doable and allows the parents to influence and direct their childs education.

I asked previously but no reply, can you do this in Thailand or must you be dragged into the brainwashing system? I have a feeling they wouldnt allow it for the brainwashing reason but...... who knows???

Yes, homeschooling is a legal option in Thailand (with certain requirements and conditions - like elsewhere).

The "brainwashing" isn't some conscious and all pervasive government conspiracy; it's the byproduct (granted, an not entirely incidental one) of centuries of cultural norms and a failure to develop beyond the point that most schools anywhere used to be...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

• 2 months later...

Hi Scorpio,

I also send my 3 yr old to Hastins in Siam Country Club. 30,000 a term 2 terms a year. 70% English 30% Thai. Very impressed with what my kid has learnt so far in this school. Has a small pool also so they get swimming lessons once a week. Teachers are very attentive and security is good. Any more questions just PM me. And the best of luck.

• Like 1

There seems to be good and bad points to this story but ill tell you a story i just heard from my wife yesterday.

Her niece's class(who is 5 years old) were be looked after by a class of 10 year old's on teachers request,not a good start.

The 10 year old's would not let her niece go to the toilet and she soiled herself.

She told the teacher when she got back and the teacher did not believe her and just taught she soiled herself by not using the toilet.

They gave out to her and hit her but cleaned her and left her wet and in dirty clothes all day without contacting the mother to come with clean clothes.

The grand mother cased trouble about this and the have pulled the niece out of the school.

Apparently the teachers tried to say they were in a meeting but the kids said they were just talking .

If this happened to my daughter i would have caused so no i would not send my daughter to a thai state run school without doing your home work first.

• 1 month later...

I have thought about this many times. It is very simple to me. If you can afford private school do it. Thai state schools are awful as we all know. 50% of private schools are probably only as good as the state schools you have at home. If you have no money or can't afford to privately educate then state school is the only option. But as I have said, wealthy Thai families if given the choice will not educate their children in Thailand they send them to boarding school abroad or to family abroad for education. Think about this. The young years of education of the foundation years don't underestimate this time.

An international school is only good if you send your kid overseas (from Thailand) afterward and they are really expensive.

My boy attend Maryvit where over 90% of the students ends up on university in Thailand. The only problem I have with that school is that they don't have a biannual program but believe me, it's a very demanding school and the students are very disciplined and polite.

If you plan to stay in Thailand forever that's the way to go.

A neighbor is a Thai doctor on Bkk/Pattaya hospital and he got all of his education in Thailand and his 2 kids also attend Maryvit.

All the Thais/expats I spoken to have almost all recommended that school.

Try Goggle Maryvit school

The website doesn't give the best 1st impression... ^_^

• 1 month later...

There is a certain irony here. I have seen a lot of posts by expats who believe the school system here is so bad,

they actually move back to the UK so their child can attend a much better public school for free.....

Here you are going the opposite way. My plan is for my three year old daughter is to attend private school here,

and I will add in as much home style schooling as I can to teach her to think and question everything.

She will attend university in America. As I am positive that even from private schools here a child would be able

to enter a high powered university in America and do well. So my plan is to leave Thailand when she turns

14, and move back to America to enter high school.

• 2 months later...

Do not consider this. - there is no reason the moe your child to Thailand - thai's unless they have a choice do not educate kids in Thailand state 50/50 or even private. - they send them to private school in the uk, Europe or USA

Believe me, for various reasons, a lot of wealthy Thais have their kids educated in bilingual/english programs here - a number of my students have gone overseas to study after school. Obviously the most wealthy send their kids overseas, but generally they will stay there to study in university too. Some have also returned back to Thailand to work.

I have Thai-speaking friends who send their kids to bilingual and international schools. Mostly because they want to expose their children to English. The converse of this, for a native English-speaker, would be to send your kids to a school where Thai is the main language.

Just saying.

If you plan on having your child attend any kind of international program or study abroad, then it is important to put them in a bilingual or international program. It is one thing to be able to speak a language, but it is an entirely different thing to be able to learn and study in a language.

The words, terms, jargon and phraseology need to be learned in a new language and that is greatly enhanced by being educated using the language. I know several parents who decided that it was sufficient to send their child to a Thai school because they could teach them English and/or used English at home. All of them have had big problems in studying in an international setting.

The converse is also true. If you send you child to an international school, don't expect them to do well in a Thai program in a Thai university. For most children who are mixed, a bilingual setting is probably the best all around option.

They the other kids are in Issan and you all want to move to Pattaya??? why

Stay in Issan I am sure there are good private schools up there.

Post in Issan Forum and ask about schools I am sure you will get an answer there.

Edited by maprao