Group Pushes For Thailand's Inclusion In List Of World's Worst Ip Violators

Lite Beer

Group pushes for Thailand’s inclusion in list of world’s worst IP violators

By Shane Danaher

moviestall-578x381.jpg

Movie stall. Photo: Flickr

BANGKOK: -- The International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA), a US-based intellectual copyright lobbying group, has asked that Thailand be placed once again on a list of the world’s worst IP violators.

The IIPA asked the US Trade Representative to keep Thailand on its “Priority Watch List” – a 13-nation list, maintained by the US government, of what it sees as the world’s worst distributors of copyrighted material.

newsjs

Representing members of the video game, music and film industries, the IIPA made no mention in its complaint of Thai efforts to domestically produce copyrighted pharmaceuticals.

Full Story: http://www.coconutsb...t-ip-violators/

--CoconutsBangkok 2013-02-11

Watch out for a steam roller crushing a few DVDs in the not too distant future.

Someone once told me that the first word a Thai child learns is "copy" laugh.png actually I believe the first word they learn is "cheat" wink.png

While I agree with your observation I will expand on it a little..

It is also a well known fact that the first 3 words a Thai person learns to string together is : "Can I borrow"

• Like 1

According to the other paper they require to do a full audit and replacement of pirated software in all government offices to be even considered for removal. Other criteria that need to be met include declaring piracy as organised crime and making landlords responsible if tenants sell pirated goods.

They can seize and destroy all the copied DVDs and watches they want; it has been clearly outlined what is required and so far no significant effort has been made to address these issues.

True , and how difficult is it to buy an original copy of windows ? And why would most people when it is 100 thb for a copy or 5000 thb for a real version ?

The best way to start would be to include a real copy with all new laptops and pc bought , like they do in the uk .. As no new computer bought in thailand comes with software

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

In order to be removed from such a watch list it would be necessary for the government to do something, anything, about the open-air IP piracy shops all over town including some of the large malls. Of course, nothing whatsoever has been done about them...business is too good.

Someone once told me that the first word a Thai child learns is "copy" laugh.png actually I believe the first word they learn is "cheat" wink.png

I must have got it wrong, Where does 'lie, steal, bribe, deceive, and a multitude of other negative traits' come in. huh.png

Too many pieces of the big pie will be taken away if complete banning ip is enforced.

How can the BiB expect to get there 1 million bhat member fee back with actual real Police work?

And lets face it that its one of the pulls of Thailand cheap contraband.

I have 1 question thought and please answer as this is not Thai bashing its just a question.....How many percentage of police officers in this country have never taken a bribe?

What a pathetic and stupid statement!

• Like 2

"The best way to start would be to include a real copy with all new laptops and pc bought , like they do in the uk .. As no new computer bought in thailand comes with software"

That may be true for unbranded machines, but I bought a BenQ notebook from (Lotus) Tesco with an OEM authorised version of Windows.

Edited by laobali

What exactly do they mean by "IP violators"?

Is it that a lot of people are downloading, or is it because of servers in Thailand storing and making available pirate warez on the net?

To me that is an extremely stupid headline. There are multitudes more warez servers around the world than Thailand would ever be able to host.

The article reads Internet Protocol violation and not about product available on the street................thumbsup.gif

Copy? Right!.....................wink.png

What a pathetic and stupid statement!

But funny . . . cheesy.gif . . . lighten up! lol

• Like 2

"The best way to start would be to include a real copy with all new laptops and pc bought , like they do in the uk .. As no new computer bought in thailand comes with software"

That may be true for unbranded machines, but I bought a BenQ notebook from (Lotus) Tesco with an OEM authorised version of Windows.

I bought this ASUS laptop from BigC three months ago. I had to pay B3,000 for an authorized version of Windows and B2,000 for an authorized version of MS Office. Should have checked out Lotus but maybe the price would have been higher with the SW installed. Edited by Pimay1

According to the other paper they require to do a full audit and replacement of pirated software in all government offices to be even considered for removal. Other criteria that need to be met include declaring piracy as organised crime and making landlords responsible if tenants sell pirated goods.

They can seize and destroy all the copied DVDs and watches they want; it has been clearly outlined what is required and so far no significant effort has been made to address these issues.

Would you be surprised if the CDs and DVDs they crush are blank?

• Like 1

Would you be surprised if the CDs and DVDs they crush are blank?

No and I wouldn't be surprised if those minds who organise these farcial displays are blank too.

What exactly do they mean by "IP violators"?

Is it that a lot of people are downloading, or is it because of servers in Thailand storing and making available pirate warez on the net?

To me that is an extremely stupid headline. There are multitudes more warez servers around the world than Thailand would ever be able to host.

The article reads Internet Protocol violation and not about product available on the street................thumbsup.gif

Copy? Right!.....................wink.png

I think you will find it is Intellectual Property (Poor of the article to not make that clear)